Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How addicted are YOU?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How addicted are YOU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
A&PMECH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How addicted are YOU?

When I go to sleep at night, all I see is plans and wood on a infinitely long workbench. I love RC airplanes so much, I'm considering buying land out in the country just so I can have my own runway!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

I've been thinking of getting land too! I'm glad I'm not the only one... Every place I pass in the country that's for sale, I'm looking for a potential runway spot, but they all cost too dang much, and I can't justify (to my wife) spending the money just to have my OWN runway, when the field is only 4 miles from where we are now...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 AM
airplanenut1
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tell you what i lived in PA and had my own field to fly outta i had to cut the grass with a push mower 50X350 and it was on a hill side and what pain to fly outta but since then i have moved to NY and now have to pay to fly and drive a half hour to the nice field and then all the rules and what not having to have AMA all the time and now i miss that field so much it may have been some work but was so worth the time and effort and it was only 50 feet from my house and i would give my right hand well maybe not my hand maybe my pinky finger to have that field back
Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Rc Overkill
My Feedback: (6)

It has been over a week since I have been flying,my thumbs are cramping up,I wake to the faint smell of nitro in the middle of the night. I dislike cold or windy weather.I have the LHS on speed dial #1 my wife is #4 . I need a sponsor like and AA person, Aeroworks,Hobby Lobby , anyone can you hear me????????
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
scotty35

Hi, my name is Scott, and I've been addicted to airplanes for about 40 years. Bought my first Hobby Lobby ARF in the mid 70s and have been into it ever since. Got my pilot's license at 19 and flew my Dad's C-182 until he sold it in 91. My wife eventually made me pick between full scale and models, so since that point in 94 I've been totally obsessed with models. On my last trip to the city, to "look around" I found a hot deal on an Aeroworks Extra 300 (100cc ! ) I phoned the wife and she knew the outcome was inevitable, so I got the nod to buy it.
I have a 22X24 garage in back dedicated entirely to model airplanes. Couch, TV, computer, fridge: all the comforts I need to carry on my affair with everything flying.( She parks in her double attached out front. lol)
Please don't try to help me, I don't want to be rescued! I want to be buried with my Extra!

Scotty
Old 11-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Saburo Sakai

Hi, I'm Saburo, a kamikazi r/c junkie[8D] and I relapsed on another ParkZone Micro P-51 last week. My girlfriend left me and won't come back until I kick. But man, I jones for the foam and motor and servos and flying speed, man.  I jones for it all....May the Lord have mercy upon my fragile humanity. Amen. I'm committing to the Rehab Center in Costa Rica tomorrow. But I jones for foam.....
Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM
TBONE6

let it out joe, let it out
ORIGINAL: Warbird Joe

Hello my name is Joe and I am an RC Airplaine Addict. I can't stop thinking about it. No matter what I am involved with some how it turns right into thinking about building or flying. It probably doesn't help that I have Airplane magazines every where in the house and everytime I step out of the house into the garage I have airplanes totally cosuming my 3rd car garage. I am always trying to figure out what I need to buy next. Like now it is a winter flying glove from Hobby King an aluminum TX holder and of course which kit do I buy now for the winter? The TF Gold Kit or a Ziroli kit? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I need medicated. (Clears my throat) Sorry about that.

Joe
Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: TBONE6

let it out joe, let it out
ORIGINAL: Warbird Joe

Hello my name is Joe and I am an RC Airplaine Addict. I can't stop thinking about it. No matter what I am involved with some how it turns right into thinking about building or flying. It probably doesn't help that I have Airplane magazines every where in the house and everytime I step out of the house into the garage I have airplanes totally cosuming my 3rd car garage. I am always trying to figure out what I need to buy next. Like now it is a winter flying glove from Hobby King an aluminum TX holder and of course which kit do I buy now for the winter? The TF Gold Kit or a Ziroli kit? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I need medicated. (Clears my throat) Sorry about that.

Joe
LOL @ TBONE
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Thisstrangeengine

I have more planes than I know what to do with, several helis in 4 different sizes, lots of plans, spare engines (NIB) a box of lite ply and balsa of various sizes of sticks and sheets and many ideas in my head about what planes I need to add to my collection.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I need help!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Hi, My name is Lee and I'm an RC addict....It's been 15 minutes since my last RC related purchase and I'm currently imbibing on an RC forum.

I just returned from the LHS where I picked up two gallons of fuel. It's not my fault. The weather is going to be warm and winds calm tomorrow...I'm putting off work to go fly. sometimes it's not good and relly good at the same time to be self employed....especially when one of your current jobs is a remodel at the home of a flying field buddy.......

I can always work, I can't always fly.....Tonight, after I clean up the dinner dishes, etc (her night to cook/my night to clean) I'll take over the dinner table to continue with an arf bash project.

"I promise, Luv, it's just this one little flap modification on just one wing tonight....it won't take long"................"What do you mean it's time to come to bed?! Wow, is it really 2:17 am"........OK, just a minute more..........maybe two.............five at the most................Oh, Hi Honey. Um, good morning...Can I get you a cup of coffee, or an egg, some toast?.......
Old 11-09-2010, 06:26 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

To have your own flying field is not only the land you need, it is also the paved runway. It is expensive.......$85-90,000.00
Also I will miss the chatting with all my flying buddies, the laughter with the kangaroos, the planning of the events, the swaping of equipment.
I think a lot of the addiction has to do with the support groups ( the flying club), the sponsor (your flying instructor), and the frequent meetings (your trips to the field)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
G.Barber

lopflyers- Have you never experienced the joys of flying from a GRASS strip? I actually prefer grass for some planes, but then again, my favorite planes are tail draggers...

With that said, planes that have retracts and smaller wheels do like paved runways better.

I guess when I see a nice patch of land that would make a good runway, I see it still as grass- more maintenance, but less cost.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

gabarber- No I have never flown from grass.
Actually the other day I watched a guy in my club taking off from grass, it was a large biplane.
I have two trainers, my other 3 planes are tail dragres. I will try taking off and landing from the grass.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
G.Barber

Just be sure that you hold some up elevator until the tail comes off the ground when flying a tail dragger- it will help prevent the plane from nosing over. There's more drag on the landing gear in the grass also, so it may take a little longer to get off the ground. Be warned though- you may get hooked on flying from the grass! I can fly from an abandoned paved runway too, but I prefer the grass for my tail draggers.

I do like the paved runway for electics with small wheels though
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 AM
aerofly0610

Before I married,,, my wife dated me AND my planes... then she married me AND my planes.... When my wife starts talking about having a baby i say "does that mean we get another airplane?"... when i think about raising kids i wonder if they will be any good at 3Ding.... 

I'm at work right now.. reading all these threads, looking for deals, and dreaming of my current and next build. 

Hmm I guess you can call that an addiction.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 AM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

I have more planes than I know what to do with, several helis in 4 different sizes, lots of plans, spare engines (NIB) a box of lite ply and balsa of various sizes of sticks and sheets and many ideas in my head about what planes I need to add to my collection.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I need help!!!

I can help you... just give me one or two of those engines of kits... yes, you can. It alse reliefes me, yeah!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm reading all this .... and really starting to wonder how my wife can say I'm even 'remotely' obsessive ..... I actually don't think I'm that bad after all when compared to you lot ..... still, I wonder if that H9 blue nose P51 is on sale yet .......

Seriously, I am really messed up, as some of the key benefits I can see from getting myself employed again is that I'll be able to repair my heli motor, get a new RX, a new field battery. join my local support group (club) and odds on replace my 60 sized trainer with that blue nose ........
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 AM
mike109

It's all my father's fault. When I was about 5 years old, he brought home a Frog rubber powered plane kit. The smell of the glue and the dope and I was hooked.

Then he started looking in hobby shop windows and I saw my first model engine. All shiny and with an anodised blue head. I was more hooked.

Next some people started to fly control line models in a park near us. I would watch in fascination as they spent hours flipping and flipping and flipping and sometimes they even flew.

Some time about the age of 10 a next door neighbour turned up with a 1.5cc diesel engine. We spent hours mixing fuel, starting and tuning that engine. The hook was further in.

And when at the age of 11 my Patrol Leader in Scouts told me he flew control line models and invited me to have a look the final stage took place. I bought an engine (OS Max 15 II), joined the club and started learning to fly control line. I kept this up until I was about 16 and school started to become a bit more serious so at this stage I took my first period of leave from the hobby.

But when at age 23 I had married, and had a job I again got back into control line. This time it was racing and it lasted for about 5 years until my son was born and family duties and the cost of building a house again put the hobby on hold. But it was still there waiting and when we moved away from the city to a regional area when my son was about 10 it again came back (like Malaria). This time it was RC models and the first session lasted three years until we moved overseas for a couple of years.

Finally after years of working I retired and what better hobby to get back to. That was about 7 years ago and I am now the proud owner of a large shed full of models.

Addicted? Probably but I can't think of too many other greater hobbies for someone who likes to tinker and build things.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 PM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

I once tried to hide a roll of monokote in the tiolet tank....
Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike109

............. but I can't think of too many other greater hobbies for someone who likes to tinker and build things.
Amen to that!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM
scooterinvegas

I'm at work, sitting on the toilet, reading / posting on my IPhone.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: drbenz

I once tried to hide a roll of monokote in the tiolet tank....

Oh man... I can't figure out the face of your wife.
(mine would be still laughing and kicking my low-back simultaneusly)

Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
mike109

Thank-you Scooter for sharing that with us. Now if you were doing a little building in there I would really be impressed.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My family calls me the cave man,because my shop is in the basement, and sometimes they don't see me for hours. I think about rc all the time and it is addicting for sure. I work 2nd shift as a customer service rep and I am always on RCU. I joined a group called Fellowship of Christian Modelers www.fcm.org a group of modelers dedicated to helping modelers keep their hobby in perspective and not let it become an obsession at the expense of your family relationships. I try to keep it under control now and learn to be happy with what I have,and focus on getting better at flying.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: mike109

Thank-you Scooter for sharing that with us. Now if you were doing a little building in there I would really be impressed.
Ever see that thing that Richard Dreyfuss "built" in his living room in Close Encounters of the Third Kind??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.