Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Expo Vs Dual rates

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Expo Vs Dual rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expo Vs Dual rates

Hi,

I've been flying for just a short time and I want to try Expo on my Radio. I hate Dual rates as I'm always forgetting to turn them on & off. Also sometimes when they are on you slow down and just a bit of cross wind is hard to correct from. Anyway, what is a good number of Expo to start? Thanks
Old 04-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Unstable

start with -30% and adjust as you see fit.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Ed Smith

A good mumber to start with is 10%. there would not be a lot of effect at that. Go up or down from there Nothing is worse than having too much of anything to start with and having to fly for a while with it. On a JR transmitter the more expo required the number is positive. I understand on the Futuba transmitter the more expo you want the number is negative. I am refering to here to dead at centre stick. it is possible to reverse that.

Expo does not replace dual rates. You can still have too much movement even with expo. If you are looking for little movement at the centre stick position, all that movement will come in at the stick extremes. That can give you a surprise. So be carefull with getting rid of rates and relying on expo alone.

Ed S
Old 04-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

ditto. Did wonders for my flying.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:13 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Keep in mind that once you activate expo, it is also switched on the respective dual rate switch.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default What?

What do you mean: "Keep in mind that once you activate expo, it is also switched on the respective dual rate switch." ???? So dual rates wont work any more but the Expo will be turned on & off with the same switch?

Mine is a Futaba so I go Negative? Do I set the Dual rate componet up to 100% so they dont do anything, or wont that matter?

thanks

PS is there a BIG difference between 10% & 30%
Old 04-19-2002, 07:13 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

The Futaba radios have 2 settings for expo. One setting is when the d/r switch is in the up position, the other while in the down position. While you setting expo, flip the d/r switch. you will see the small arrow move on the corresponding channel.

Dual rates are switched at the same time as expo. They are not deactivated.

Right now I have the elevator on my lt 40 set for 0% expo when the switch is up and -15% when the switch is down. 0% is equal to the expo being "off" Haven't messed with dual rates yet.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:14 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

you want to go negative on the futaba. He means the hi rate and low rate each can have there own expo setting. you may want -20 on low rate elevator and -50 on high rate as an example. IMO use -20% and keep practicing flipping the rate switches. Expo does not replace dual rates, It mearly softens the amount of throw at the center area
Old 04-27-2002, 01:03 AM
THE TAILBACKER

"- or negative" in laymans terms means this. lets say you move the aileron stick to the right. With nothing on, the aileron moves right along with the movement of your stick.
* Now with lets say -25%, you move the stick to the right but the aileron is lagging behind thus feeling a bit sloppy. The more -% you dial in the more sloppy it gets. It is a bit more relaxing to fly this way.
* If you go to the "positive side" your really asking for trouble as you barely breath on those control sticks and the plane is going to do things that will mess your pants.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:24 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Goldwing,
Look at your radio this way. You always have dual rates selected. Just because both rates are at 100% doesn't make any difference. The same goes with the expo. Each rate position also has an associated expo setting. Just go in and make both settings the same to be able to ignore the switch setting.

On a futaba radio, the more negative the expo the less sensitive is the stick movement "from" zero. Always start with a small number. I stared with -40% like someone said when I started and I ripped out the gear of my 1/4 scale Sukhoi twice before I realized that I didn't have enough control/response to land. I reduced the expo to -18% and never had a problem again.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:31 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Dual Rates

I setup the dual rates and wow I really like them. I started at -10 and it was like not even having them on so I went up to -30 and that made a big difference. I put them on the Dual rate switch so I can turn them on & off at will. Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:04 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that minus 30 is a good starting point. On my Eclipse and Prism, you have to program it into both the high and low rates if you want expo on both.