Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

I agree with your mindset, but dues shouldn't "theoretically" cover it (unless the club is in agreement). I am a member of two clubs, and I don't think my dues are there to subsidize the newbies. I am also not in favor of having AMA subsidize them either - I simply need insurance.

One of the clubs I am a member of just relocated and is installing a new runway. Our dues are covering the runway costs - nothing more. We provide free instruction, but it is because of the generosity of volunteering club members, not subsidies.

Kurt
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

ORIGINAL: GBLynden

It is far more irresponsible to advise brand new folks to buy an expensive, large heavy plane with many variables that can mess them up versus a very straight-forward 1.3 oz $89 foam plane. Now, I know you said that there has to be an instructor and buddy box, etc, but let's be honest. Not everyone is going to want to be patient and wait to fly around an instructor's schedule and they are probably going to try to fly it when no one else is around which IS DANGEROUS.
What do I really think is going on? Many of you are paid instructors and you see your business being threatened by viable alternatives (not neccessarily the best, but they are viable) to your businesses or your friend's businesses. That is why you guys have your heads in the sand. No reasonable or logical person would say the things you all have if you don't have some sort of vested interest in snuffing out the idea of what I did. I am also nothing special, so it comes down to the fact that is it easy to do what I did with the Champ and my other planes.
With all due respect, this is a perfect example of creating a new reality to fit one's assumptions to replace the one that has been handily taken away from you by more knowledgeable people. The simple truth is that GBLynden wants to promote the DIY path into the hobby. Why? I really don't know. It's a viable path if you have some talent and pick the right planes, but it's also the hardest path. But he's committed, so that's that. So now he's manufactured a hypothetical where someone can't resist the temptation to fly when he knows he can't. That helps make the case that the cheap little park flyer is better because it's cheaper and won't kill anyone when the incompetent pilot take off with it. In this twisted little piece of reality, the better performing and better flying plane is a liability because anything that takes off is going to get crashed. That's like saying that your teenage daughter is going to crash any vehicle you buy her because she's a beginning driver, so you should go with a $600 Craigslist motorcycle so she can't have so many passengers with her and you won't lose as much money in the process. Instead, how about let's simply advocate for not flying above your skill level and learning from people who know more than you? The second hypothetical is accusing those who disagree with him of having ulterior motives, a classic ad hominen attack (one of Aristotle's classic logical fallacies for those who care about such things). Even if it were true that we all were making a decent living at teaching RC flight (we are not I assure you), that wouldn't make us wrong. In fact, if we were getting paid for this it would likely be because we have found a method of helping new people learn that really works well and the newbie should listen to us. Reality though is that we simply care about new pilots getting started right, thus the time we spend posting here and attending training days at our clubs.
With all due respect, Chuck owned you hard. You are clearly stuck in the past and see what you want to see. Stop runing down a proven approach. Better yet, actually fly some of the planes I mentioned in the OP and then come back and comment. I understand that you have seen 100's if not 1,000's of planes come and go over your years of flying, however things have changed quite a bit in just the last two years, much less the last 20 (or however many you have been flying). The reality is that you CAN teach yourself to fly and it is a decent way to succeed.

To those that think I am pushing or selling anything, I am not. I am also not associated with anything in the RC industry in any way, shape, or form. Chuck and I simply want to show another "option" on this forum that isn't talked about much. Forums are for free thinking and exchanges of ideas. Let that process happen, please.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: [Awaiting Approval]

Are you guys trying to make work for me and other moderators? What happened to the original subject of this thread?

I suggest you all swallow some of that pride, step down from the imaginary throne and get back on subject. I don't like pushing the delete button but could easily be convinced to do so.

CGr.
Moderator.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Chucksolo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CGretired, how can the subject of the thread be continued when it is never given a chance and it is indeed just blasted to here and back? I believe that GBLynden has outlined a viable alternative to the old school approach based on his own experience. I would bet that there are thousands, if not millions of RC pilots world wide that have learned to fly on their own with no helpfrom aclub or instructor. Why is GBLynden's approach any less valid than the other opinions so forcefully expressed on this forum? That's what this is really all about.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I think you absolutely can learn the way gb suggest's , but If you have the choice to learn on your own or get instruction I think instruction is the best way to learn overall and very possibly cheaper. But some people aren't interested in joining a club or flying anything other than a park flyer which is fine. Ive only been flying for a year but going to the club with other rc'ers is partly what makes it fun to me.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Chucksolo69

T-max, I totally agree with you and have recommended that newbies get instruction if they can and WANT to. As for flying with others in a club or informally, I completely agree there too. It is by far more fun to fly with other pilots who share the same interest. I belong to a formal club here in San Diego, and I belong to an informal club too. At the informal club we still fly the pattern and adhere to all AMA safety guidlines since we are all AMA members. We aren't as strict as my formal club, but we police ourselves pretty well.

So far, we are strictly electric because where we fly, we don't want to make a lot of noise. About half of our members have now begun to get into the larger balsa and ply models with the largest being about an 80" wingspan with a huge motor and battery. I am lucky to have found a mentor during the 8th month of my foray into this hobby and he has really helped me advance. I think we can all agree that while it is certainly possible to learn on your own, a little help along the way is always welcome.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 AM
opjose

Chauvinist huh? BAHAHAHA! Manly words not even once.
Really hung up on that sexism huh? Not a good sign, get some help.

None of the advice I have given is irrsponsible. It is far more irresponsible to advise brand new folks to buy an expensive, large heavy plane with many variables that can mess them up versus a very straight-forward 1.3 oz $89 foam plane.
Now you're purposely taking things out of context for the sake of trying to bolster a poor arguement.

No one said that you have to buy an "expensive" plane. Heck you don't have to buy ANYTHING at all.

Many clubs let you fly their own trainer planes.

This lets the novice ease in and find out what they want to do in the long term without spending money on a quickly destroyed plane.

Now, I know you said that there has to be an instructor and buddy box, etc, but let's be honest. Not everyone is going to want to be patient and wait to fly around an instructor's schedule and they are probably going to try to fly it when no one else is around which IS DANGEROUS.
I certainly agree with the latter, worst still when this is done in public facilities, parks, school lots, etc. that draw crowds and the ire of residents.

Do-It-Yourselfers most often don't bother checking laws, regulations, etc.. Unless they own their own farms or larger properties, most of their flying attempts occur in proscribed areas.

YouTube is repleat with idiots trying to fly, off in-use country roads, etc.

What do I really think is going on? Many of you are paid instructors and you see your business being threatened by viable alternatives (not neccessarily the best, but they are viable) to your businesses or your friend's businesses. That is why you guys have your heads in the sand.
Pretty funny, I doubt any "paid instructors" would bother to spend a moment here arguing with people. They are most likely to run away screaming for the ire they draw from the people here WHO BOTHER spending their time and effort trying to help others to succeed in the hobby.

No reasonable or logical person would say the things you all have if you don't have some sort of vested interest in snuffing out the idea of what I did. I am also nothing special, so it comes down to the fact that is it easy to do what I did with the Champ and my other planes.
No reasonable, experience and logical person would say many of the things you have, nor that do-it-yourself advice is reasonable and logical.

Anecdotal tales about your Champ are just that.

In truth, I would have preferred to have an instructor teach me how to fly looking back, but I honestly didn't know it was an option and I also didn't know that I would get this far into this hobby.
Which is why almost everyone says "find an instructor" so that newbies at the very least make the effort. Telling them otherwise is irresponsible.

Usually the very first thing said here by a newbie is "there is no local club" or "I cannot find an instructor". 3-4 minutes worth of effort later and we've found them both. They just don't know how to look nor where.

Telling them to "do-it-yourself" gives them the easiest path, like telling a teenager that it is OK to drive without a license... if they hear the latter, what do you think they will do?

With that in mind, there is no way I would have paid money for someone to train me on "how to have fun" and I am pretty sure I am not alone. But again, in hindsight, I agree (which I have not refuted here) that an instructor is a great way to go.
And you should NOT have to "pay money" for someone to train you! Most clubs have volunteer members who do this for free. If not find another club.

Provided you can offord it and are close to an air field large enough to safely learn to fly with one of the larger planes.
Utter sophism...

There is no need of a "field large enough" nor "one of the larger planes".

Ever hear of buddy boxes with foamies?

That works too doesn't it?

An instructor would cost significantly more than what I paid to fly all by myself on my schedule and at my pace.
I don't know where you get that. If an instructor is charging you, you should go elsewhere, unless you specifically want to go to one of those RC "schools" ( which I see no need for ).

To those of you that say that it is so expensive to go this route, you are flat out wrong. I have only had to buy glue and a new tail section for my Champ to learn to fly. That comes to well under $30. So doing basic math, $89 + $30= $119. That is hardly expensive, especially when you consider that I still fly it on occasion 100's of flights later.
Anecdotal again. It's great that you had good luck.

95% of the time the "do it yourselfer" ends up with a pile of debris and ends up giving up.

Due to their lack of experience and awareness, they violate laws, endanger others, and cast a bad light on the hobby.

Even only one or two sessions with an instructor is enough to prevent all of that.

Hundreds of thousands of proficient pilots trained over the years are not wrong...

Just MAY BE, the small inexperienced minority who advocates otherwise is!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Chucksolo69

I guess I must ask...................why do you keep saying "anecdotal again." If you want to get down to brass tacks, everything said on a web forum is anecdotal. Why don't you guys quit attacking each other and just take the original OPs intent and just go with it. It is as valid an opinion as yours opjose. Your's isn't the ONLY valid opinion is it?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

I guess I must ask...................why do you keep saying ''anecdotal again.'' If you want to get down to brass tacks, everything said on a web forum is anecdotal.
No that is not true.

A single, or even a small sampling of situations does not equate to the "best approach" which is what we are talking about.

It is as valid an opinion as yours opjose. Your's isn't the ONLY valid opinion is it?
It is not - MY - opinion nor even an opinion, rather it is what years of experience, thousands of instructors and hundreds of thousands of new pilots have found to be the best approach.

"Best" does not mean "exclusive", however, when people are presented with options the path of least resistance is almost always selected and there-in lies the problem.

That is why we see dozens of people coming here every season and wanting justification for purchasing that slick new P-51 or other warbird as their very first plane.... Then they want to fly it in a local public park too.... sheez.

Tell them, it's ok, to "do-it-yourself" and they'll take the easy route. Not good.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Chucksolo69

ORIGINAL: opjose

I guess I must ask...................why do you keep saying ''anecdotal again.'' If you want to get down to brass tacks, everything said on a web forum is anecdotal.
No that is not true.

A single, or even a small sampling of situations does not equate to the "best approach" which is what we are talking about.

It is as valid an opinion as yours opjose. Your's isn't the ONLY valid opinion is it?
It is not - MY - opinion nor even an opinion, rather it is what years of experience, thousands of instructors and hundreds of thousands of new pilots have found to be the best approach.

"Best" does not mean "exclusive", however, when people are presented with options the path of least resistance is almost always selected and there-in lies the problem.

That is why we see dozens of people coming here every season and wanting justification for purchasing that slick new P-51 or other warbird as their very first plane.... Then they want to fly it in a local public park too.... sheez.

Tell them, it's ok, to "do-it-yourself" and they'll take the easy route. Not good.

Not necessarily true becasue Ifor one, and a lot of others, including GBLynden, would never advocate to a newbie that purshaing that slick new P-51 was in their best interest. And in fact, nowhere in his OP does he advocate that at all. That is where the argument that you and others falls apart. GB simply lists the most docile, newbie friendlyflying planes that he used when learning. Then he gets attacked and told he is completely wrong. It is your opinion and yes, thousands of others as well, but I can bet that there are just as many who don't share it. You make it sound like EVERY newbie is going to get a giant jet and go fly it in some public park somewhere. Let's get real here. For all your experience and knowledge, how can you even say that the "do-it-yourself" route is not good when that is how it ALLstarted to begin with. Back in the ealy days EVERYONE was pretty much self taught.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
CGRetired

CGretired, how can the subject of the thread be continued when it is never given a chance and it is indeed just blasted to here and back? I believe that GBLynden has outlined a viable alternative to the old school approach based on his own experience. I would bet that there are thousands, if not millions of RC pilots world wide that have learned to fly on their own with no help from a club or instructor. Why is GBLynden's approach any less valid than the other opinions so forcefully expressed on this forum? That's what this is really all about.
This crap started just a page or two ago. It means that whatever you guys are pushing has just started.

I'll remind you guys one more time. Keep it civil or I'll lock it down and you can go to the Clubhouse and debate this over there.

I don't like giving alternatives, but I've seen threads get out of control like this before. Many of you preach that you are trying to help beginners, yet you come in with this stuff and give a definite signal to beginners that there is hostility here. What I see above is hostility not cooperation and assistance.

Take note that this is page 6 of this thread and it has gone along fairly smoothly until some of you decided to let your ego's take over. Cool down, get it together, and continue with the civility or I'll lock it down.

I can't be any more clear than that.

CGr
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Chucksolo69

Ok, you'll see no more posts from me on this. But, just for the record, yours is the most hostile post on this thread. You didn't even flinch when jester called me  ignorant and such. I believe it's because you, like them think the same old way. So lock it down, it is your privilige to do so.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understood moderators had the ability to lock thread downs, not taller or better soap boxes?

Kurt
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am lucky to have found a mentor during the 8th month of my foray into this hobby and he has really helped me advance. I think we can all agree that while it is certainly possible to learn on your own, a little help along the way is always welcome.
See, you've proven my point with your own experience. Sure, a guy can learn on his own. I've never denied that. Given enough determination and deep enough pockets to replace broken equipment a guy can go as far as he wants to all on his own. But, and this is the point I've made all along, nearly everyone learns BETTER by getting help from a more experienced pilot. If one is available, there is no reason not to make use of it. I dare say that, given your own admission that your learning improved when you started getting some help, you would have spent less time and less money during those first 8 months if you had started out with an instructor instead of going it on your own.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
cfircav8r

My only real problem with the OP is that it was never mentioned to actually read up on how to fly an airplane. Too many people think it's ok to just go out with the knowledge that pull back it goes up, push forward it goes down, throttle up it goes faster, and throttle down it goes slower, etc... Bad habits develop quickly and are very difficult to get over especially when they see it as a problem with the radio or airframe. They see the plane do something different than what they told it to and it is a bad behavior of the plane or radio, to be fixed somehow. When they start experiencing those "bad behaviors" from planes they come on here trying to figure out how to make the plane stop doing that and suddenly they are being told its their poor piloting and feelings get hurt or it starts a war of words with others that may be as uninformed. What it comes down to is if you add "read up on the art of flying first" it will help improve their chances. That being said some of the knowledge on flying is counter intuitive and can confound some people and they may need some help with understanding it, but before they start flying is the time to do that as anecdotal knowledge from early uninformed flight experience can greatly interfere with that understanding. While the average person that will never get deeper than park flyers may not need any of this knowledge, if they eventually will get deeper into the hobby it will be a real disservice to them to convince them it is easy to DIY it.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's the problems caused by bad piloting, and there are also the issues caused by improperly set up airplanes. Newbies don't know if the controls are too hot or the CG is wrong. It also doesn't help that most of the beginner grade park flyers are little more than powered gliders that can be cantankerous to actually exercise some control over. The Super Cubs and Champs are probably the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much. A plane that flies poorly teaches bad piloting, which in turn makes it that much harder to enjoy a good flying plane.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 AM
CGRetired

Ok, you'll see no more posts from me on this. But, just for the record, yours is the most hostile post on this thread. You didn't even flinch when jester called me ignorant and such. I believe it's because you, like them think the same old way. So lock it down, it is your privilige to do so.
Oh, I flinched, alright. That, and other replies are what prompted me to invite myself into the thread.

My posts were intended to get your attention, which they obviously did. I don't get "hostile" about anything, but do get agressive when it comes to potential problems, and it's my job to see that things remain civil and stuff like that does not happen. Since I cannot monitor this 24/7, I do what I can when I can,as most moderators do. One or two moderators, other than me, have come in here and deleted posts that I missed. So, you can think what you want, I can't stop that.

For the record, you can post whatever you want here and I will not step in unless I have to. I could have deleted several posts here, including the one you mentioned, however, by doing so and not commenting on why would leave others to miss the point.

As I said, do what you want, post what you want, but I won't allow people to get on others case like what started a few pages ago regardless of the intent. I've seen stuff like this get extremely negative very quickly and don't want that to happen here. Constructive criticism is always welcome as long as it stays civil. Note what it says above the editing box in bold print "Please resist the urge to curse...." and so on. Note that I have not recommend banning anyone as it is my duty to do so if I feel it necessary.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Chucksolo69

Understood, thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 AM
ATVAlliance

Thought about replying to this thread several times, but was always too busy to put enough thought into it till now.  So here goes...

I think that the OP had great intentions if you really think about it, regardless of your stand on "club and instructor" or "teach yourself" when learning to fly RC models.  But, as it often occurs...the best intentions dont always end up as planned.

I do think that it is very possible to follow the advice of the OP and teach yourself to fly, given you are persistent and have a deep enough wallet to spend the extra money that it will take for some people.  Lets face it, not everyone's learning curve is the same and statistically speaking, I think more people will find the skill building to take a lot of time and practice and above all patience.  

Also, stating that if you can "master" the three models mentioned in the OP's initial post, you will be ready for just about anything...is a bit misleading and possibly a dangerous statement.  For benefit of a doubt, I will assume that the OP didnt fully think through that particular statement before typing it.  Lord knows, Ive been know to shoot my mouth off a time or twenty before my brain was loaded.  And I dont think that the OP made this statement to try and deceive anyone, just didnt think out what was said too well.

Being able to teach yourself to fly RC planes with small micro or even Ultra Micro models will work, eventually.  But you will learn nothing about larger models and RC model flight theory.  For this, you need to be well versed at researching valid tips and putting them to use, or you need a mentor to show you.  For me, I feel that my experience has come from both equally.  However, most of my CRITICAL learning has been from fellow club members because I can actually watch them demonstrate what they are trying to teach me.  Not to discount learning from anyone online...but you always have to take words on a screen with somewhat a grain of salt.  There is a lot of good information on the internet, but there is probably just as much bad info out there.  Being able to tell the good from the bad only comes with experience.  And having a mentor to give an opinion on something you read online only makes it that much easier to build your skills and become successful at flying RC.

I should also add the fact that most, with a heavy emphasis on "most" smaller planes dont fly like their larger counterparts.  And someone brand new may not know this.  For instance...one of my first planes was the Ultra Micro Super Cub.  I did a lot of my early learning on this simply because I could fly it in my back yard every day.  I really learned to fly...as most of us did, on a .40 size high wing trainer...but like I said, I could fly the UM Super Cub every day...but only could get to the flying club once a week.  So, when I had already learned to fly solo, one of the first larger planes I bought was a 91" super cub.  I built it with a 26cc gasoline engine and thought I would be prepared to fly it since I had already been flying the UM one.  Well, the larger cub did not fly anything like the UM one.  Not that it was night and day difference, but the biggest thing I had to overcome was getting used to the adverse yaw of the larger Cub which wasnt as evident on the UM one.  Also, since the UM was so tiny and we fly from grass...I could never land it.  So, learning to fly the UM first did not teach me a single thing about landing a larger one.  Luckily, the cub is a pretty easy plane to land and I didnt have much trouble landing it since I had had probably 100 landings of my other glo powered planes (trainer and a couple of Ugly Sticks) that I knew what to do.  Only difference was I really had to concentrate on the rudder during cross winds that really effected the 91" cub moreso than it ever effected my sticks or trainers.  And the UM planes I didnt care about landing because I could just plop them down wherever.  So, my whole point is...flying is the easy part.  Learning to take off is a little harder, and LANDING is probably the hardest skill set to acquire.  Whats the old saying?  "Take offs are optional, Landing IS MANDATORY!"  lol

So, in the end...it is quite possible to learn to fly with small foam electrics.  Is it the preferred method anyone that is flying anything and everything would give a new person?  Probably not.  But, if all you care about flying is small lightweight electric park flyers...then that probably doesnt really matter much.  At the very least all you are going to do is waste your own time and money till you get to the point you are succeeding, or decide to give up and quit.

However, if your end goal is to fly that super cool 30% or larger gas powered Yak54 or that incredibly sexy 550-700 size heli, your best bet is to find a good mentor if you can and listen carefully to everything that he or she says.  Because their experience was paid for by either a lot of costly mistakes...or by them listening to their own mentor back when they were brand new.  Plus you get the benefit of learning all of the short cuts to succeed that they learned along the way of building their RC skill set and experience.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Chucksolo69

Let me give you something to think about. Here in SoCal, there are fewer and fewer places that those large 30% gas planes are welcome to fly; mostly due to the noise. More and more of my local clubs, those in a 30 mile radius from me, are going mostly electric, and along with that, a lot of those are larger foamies 50" wingspan and larger. Yes, I know, rural clubs still are able to fly gas and glow, but they are getting fewer and fewer from my observations. So, for a lot of us, those "super cool" 30% or larger gas planes are very impractical. That is reality for us here inURBAN SoCal areas. It is a fact of life here when flying RC. Is it so hard now to understand why a large number of us in these urban areas are selft taught foamie fliers? Having that goal you mentioned simply isn't possible for some. Pesonally, Iwork 5 days a week and am lucky enough to have a club flying field 10 minutes from my work. I belong to this club and shortly I intend to take advantage and fly there after work. However, even this field is strictly electric so you can see the dilemma. On the weekends, I the last thing I want to do is commute down to where I work, so, I belong to an informal club that meets at a local flying site and we all fly electric, mostly foamies. So what works in W. Virginia, Texas, Arizona, etc., doesn't exactly work here in SoCal.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ATVAlliance BRAVO.
you pretty well summed up what I've been thinking but not quite able to put into words.
Chucksolo69, your point is absolutely well taken, but you may want to understand that although that may be the way it is in SoCal, it is not necessarily the way it is everywhere.
(in the same manner, I'm making myself more aware that how it is here in Boondock, Minnesota is not the way it is everywhere either )
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 AM
ssautter

Default RE: [Awaiting Approval]

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Are you guys trying to make work for me and other moderators? What happened to the original subject of this thread?

I suggest you all swallow some of that pride, step down from the imaginary throne and get back on subject. I don't like pushing the delete button but could easily be convinced to do so.

CGr.
Moderator.
Please do ....
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
ssautter

AMA and club dues should, theoretically, cover the cost of flight instruction....
Only for new members of both non-profit organizations. Not Intro Pilots.

Personally, I don't pay dues to go to meetings and swap meets. I pay dues tofly.
But, I don't expect any members dues to "subsidize" a student pilot's flight instruction. That was misread.

However, if I win another cheap high-wing foamie, in another godforsaken club raffle, the first thing I'm gonna do is donate it to a newbie!
The birds mentioned at the beginning of this thread, just don't appeal tome, anymore.

The recent AMA survey reminded me of the paid instructor status: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/500-h.pdf
Different clubs warrant different instruction approaches, and some organizations have more than enough resources to help a beginner.

I know of a few clubs that have a "club trainer" airplane. But, I don't expect every club to pay for the airplane and volunteer for flight instruction.
What I meant wasevery beginner,who has paid AMA and club dues, should be give the benefit-of-the-doubt. Why else would they join a flying club, other than to fly?

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: ssautter

...AMA and club dues should, theoretically, cover the cost of flight instruction. ...
Why?

Kurt
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
ATVAlliance

Let me give you something to think about. Here in SoCal, there are fewer and fewer places that those large 30% gas planes are welcome to fly; mostly due to the noise. More and more of my local clubs, those in a 30 mile radius from me, are going mostly electric, and along with that, a lot of those are larger foamies 50" wingspan and larger. Yes, I know, rural clubs still are able to fly gas and glow, but they are getting fewer and fewer from my observations. So, for a lot of us, those "super cool" 30% or larger gas planes are very impractical. That is reality for us here inURBAN SoCal areas. It is a fact of life here when flying RC. Is it so hard now to understand why a large number of us in these urban areas are selft taught foamie fliers? Having that goal you mentioned simply isn't possible for some. Pesonally, Iwork 5 days a week and am lucky enough to have a club flying field 10 minutes from my work. I belong to this club and shortly I intend to take advantage and fly there after work. However, even this field is strictly electric so you can see the dilemma. On the weekends, I the last thing I want to do is commute down to where I work, so, I belong to an informal club that meets at a local flying site and we all fly electric, mostly foamies. So what works in W. Virginia, Texas, Arizona, etc., doesn't exactly work here in SoCal.
Thanks for the info, I'll mark that down as another reason Im glad I dont live in California. lol

All jokes aside. What you say, while I cant confrim to be true or not...so I'll just take you for your word that it is, really doesnt change my opinion of what I posted.

The fact is that a good majority of folk who get into this fine hobby have large aspirations. Out of say 100 or more people that I have met the last 4 years since getting involved in this hobby, the majority of them want to fly larger models. I dont necessarily mean "giant scale"...but lets say .60 size and larger. There has only been a handful, actually probably only 2 people that I know of that wanted to stay with small electrics...one of those guys actually only wanted to fly ultra micros. And all of that is fine.

I respect the person for whom they are and not the choice of model that they want to fly. So really, as far as Im concerned...it doesnt matter. However, this thread isnt about that, at all. But rather about if the OP's idea on being self taught is a valid one or not. And to answer that, I say...yes, it possibly is IF all you ever want to fly are small electrics.

However, if your aspirations are to fly larger models...thinking you can teach yourself 100% on your own by using small ultra micro BNF or RTF airplanes, or helis for that matter, well I dont think many people will be successful going that route. Im not saying NO ONE would EVER be successful going that route, just saying that you would be stacking the deck against yourself by doing so.

Just because me having an opinion on this subject, doesnt mean what I say is true. This is the internet and you are obviously free to take away from my comments what you will. But I am not too far removed (just starting my 4th year) in this hobby and really there isnt an airplane or helicopter that I couldnt at least take off, fly the circuit AND land. All on my own with no help. But, I did not reach this level of flying skills all alone. A good portion of it, yes...i did on my own. But once I got into larger and more expensive models, having experienced club members mentor me on flying as well as setup techniques has saved me a lot of money and heartache.

I really thought hard about even posting in this thread because I knew that someone would want to debate my opinion. When the reality is I wasnt trying to make a debatable post. Rather just give an honest and fair input (opinion) from someone that has learned on his own AND with a club that is now a successful RC flyer that is having more fun flying...than crashing.

Take from this what you will.

No offense to anyone here, and goodluck to all.

PS...one more thing. I should have not said 30% GASSER. I should have just said larger planes period. The engine/motor type is irrelevant really. I didnt think I would have to explain that a plane that weighs mere "ounces" will take off, fly and land differently than say one that ways 20 pounds or more. A friend of our club (comes to fly with us on occasion but isnt part of the club) has a killer 100cc Beast that he converted to electric. Even though hes never offered for me to have a go at the sticks with it...im sure it doesnt fly anything like the ultra micro Beast, nor would I expect it to. however, someone brand new and using the advice from the OP MIGHT think that it would. That is the point that I was trying to clarify with my post.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Chucksolo69

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

ATVAlliance BRAVO.
you pretty well summed up what I've been thinking but not quite able to put into words.
Chucksolo69, your point is absolutely well taken, but you may want to understand that although that may be the way it is in SoCal, it is not necessarily the way it is everywhere.
(in the same manner, I'm making myself more aware that how it is here in Boondock, Minnesota is not the way it is everywhere either )
That's exactly right and that is why Iposted what I did. Many, many opinions are formed on the situation at hand. That's just the way it is. Also, when I mentioned I had a mentor, he never flew a plane for me or trimmed it out. What I get from him is ecouragement and it is invaluable to see him fly and explain how and why he does things. I have never been on a buddy box with him, but just the assurence he gives me and the tips is a fantastic help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.