Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

General hobby problem

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

General hobby problem

Old 08-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Ecuyer7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda
I've ordered a 30cc yak from general hobby in the past couple years. Wasn't the best plane and being able to reach them was a nightmare. I've flown 30cc yaks for the past 10 years if I can help.
ecuyer7
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 PM
HondaJet10

Well so far I've received 3 shipping confirmations all with the same tracking number. When I log into USPS it says only a shipping label has been printed. I called dozens of time to General Hobby and no one answers or will ever return your call. 2 days after the last shipping confirmation I get an email from Richard stating what I order was not in stock and asked if I'd pick something else. There was another plane I was torn between but it was a bit more expensive. I sent Richard an email stating if they would swap to the other airplane without any additional charges I would do that. He replied within minutes and agreed saying it would ship the next day. I received yet another shipping confirmation at that point to which the same result. A couple day of checking the tracking and it stayed at "label created". I emailed Richard this morning telling him what was going on and that I would be filling a claim with my credit card company to which he replied quite quickly telling me this was normal for usps. Paying $60+ for shipping on my original order and putting "2 day shipping" as an option is completely bogus. Actually a flat out lie on the website. My original order was placed on August 23rd, had to switch airplanes and supposedly shipped on August 25th.
1. Karen on the voicemail doesn't exist
2. There is no customer support
3. Flat out lies on the website about shipping methods
4. The "100% satisfaction guarantee" on the website is bogus.

***Update***
I received a message last Wednesday September 1st from Richard saying "The plane will arrive today". The plane did arrived and was very well packaged. I still do not know how he was able to track it and why my tracking info provided to me still shows the plane hasn't shipped...

The plane (Extra 330SC) is very nice. Carbon reinforced fuselage, landing gear and control surface attachment points. I tossed the nylon hinges and put dubro pin still hinges. Many of the slots for the ribbon style hinges were cut to thick for me to be comfortable using them. All things considered I am very happy with the plane. I wish General Hobby was better with order tracking and customer service or at least be up front about how minimal the staff is to keep the prices low. On the fence on ordering more from them but the quality of this model keeps it a possibility.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8752.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2180065  

Last edited by HondaJet10; 09-06-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Ecuyer7

Hondajet
all sounds about right when it comes to Richard and general hobby. Eventually my plane showed up. After all the bs you go through. My advice and to anyone else is don't order from them. If you do make it the last time. There planes are not worth the time and money. Hopefully you'll receive yours and fill anyone in on your great experience with general hobby.
Ecuyer7
Old 11-22-2016, 06:37 AM
HondaJet10

Well I've decided to order again from General Hobby. This time I ordered the 30cc SU-26 in the Honda scheme. I work for Honda Jet so it's only fitting right Anyhow, during checkout I noticed there was a price difference this time between "standard" and "2 day usps" and the UPS options. I selected the "2 day usps" option. I ordered the plane Saturday 19 Nov and received a tracking number on Sunday. Today is Tuesday and the tracking still says "label created" but no movement. We'll see how this goes I guess. Last time the order was at my door before there were any updates on the tracking. More to come.

***Update 11/26***
Well one week has past and still no airplane. I kind of expected the "two day shipping" to be delayed due to Thanksgiving but not a full week with the two day option. I did email Richard at GH and he stated two day shipping was not available due to the size of the box and assured me I was not over charged for shipping. However, the was a price difference between standard, two day and UPS so if two day was an option I was a bit over charged for an option that was not available. Again, I like the previous product I ordered and if this plane is the same quality I will still be happy with the order. I do wish however there were a better order process and shipping tracking that actually works. Even now 7 days later my tracking only states that a label has been created.

11/29
Order arrived, outstanding packaging as usual. Couldn't be more pleased with the plane. Just wish they were better organized.

Last edited by HondaJet10; 12-06-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM
sbfinley

I just ordered a BF 110 from General. Dec. 3rd after which I started checking on them. WOW! Now I'm worried from all the neg. comments does anyone have any up to date info on it? I called them wrote e-mails to find out if they got my order or whats going on. NO ANSWER!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
HondaJet10

You will get your order. You just won't have ANY tracking information that is useful. It will always say "label created" until the day it shows up. The phone is useless. I've never heard of them calling anyone back. If you are buying cheaper foamies you can get them elsewhere for similar pricing with better customer support. If you are getting the 30cc+ sizes like I order it is hard to find them any cheaper and I just deal with the silence.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 AM
lochlan

BUYER BEWARE regarding GENERAL HOBBY !! I have done business with numerous RC companies without any problems at all. It has been my experience that GENERAL HOBBY is a fly by night FRAUD. Bought a P51D. Retracts did not work, paid for additional shipping on new retracts. They never sent them. No email replies, no return phone calls. NOTHING. First time taxiing on runway the ESC catches FIRE! Notify them about this. NOTHING, NO RESPONSE. Its been over a month now. I have yet to be able to fly the plane.
Thank You GENERAL HOBBY for NOTHING !
Old 07-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Skycam41

I see a plane I would like and GH is the only place advertising such an ARF (Wilga 30cc). I have sent two emails and left two messages but no answer....are these guys fly by night cowboys or are they in the business of selling RC planes?

Cheers
Old 07-10-2017, 03:30 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Skycam41 View Post
I see a plane I would like and GH is the only place advertising such an ARF (Wilga 30cc). I have sent two emails and left two messages but no answer....are these guys fly by night cowboys or are they in the business of selling RC planes?

Cheers
I just was there a few days ago and picked up a few planes from them. It's a warehouse up to the ceiling with airplanes and hardly any room to walk. While I was there I could see labels printed out and the orders being filled. I have not had a problem with them at all. Just be sure the item is in stock when you order. They do not have a huge parts dept so any parts or replacement parts will be ordered from the manufacturer in china and mailed from there(you know how long that takes) ice only had good experience form them and the planes I've recently bought are good quality and fly excellent!
Old 07-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Skycam41

Thanks Predman, that's a good thumbs up. The plane I am looking at is this one Wilga 30CC 88.6'' RC plane ARF W - General Hobby but it is out of stock. I have tried and tried to get a reply wither by email or by phone but nobody every responds. Sound like the quality is good though and a very good price but I just cant find anyone else that has such an ARF.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Skycam41 View Post
Thanks Predman, that's a good thumbs up. The plane I am looking at is this one Wilga 30CC 88.6'' RC plane ARF W - General Hobby but it is out of stock. I have tried and tried to get a reply wither by email or by phone but nobody every responds. Sound like the quality is good though and a very good price but I just cant find anyone else that has such an ARF.

Cheers
I have requested some planes and he has told me he will order it and it it will take 2 months and will be on the next container. Just keep an eye out and I'm sure it will pop up!