Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Sky Lark 40T

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thunder Tiger Sky Lark 40T

Old 12-17-2020, 06:10 PM
cfitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Sky Lark 40T

Hi all, Iím new here and I know very little about RC vehicles. The reason I created an account in this forum is because I came across a Thunder Tiger Skylark 40T in the basement of my parents house and Iíd like to find out more about it. I presume that it was built probably decades ago now and it appears that it has never been flown. looks like it dates back to the late 1980ís. Its condition is definitely not perfect, especially the wing which looks like it needs to be re-skinned, but overall it appears solid. Is this considered a good/cool/rare RC plane (sorry for the simple language)?

Itís doubtful that I or anyone else in my family will ever take the time to figure this thing out and get it flying, and I admit that RC vehicles are no longer a hobby of mine. Is it worth selling this plane, and what might it be itís value? If itís not worth much, then would this plane last another 10-20 years in climate controlled storage (aka my basement) to see if the next generation has any interest?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:12 PM
cfitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pictures
Old 12-26-2020, 01:47 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry it took a while for anyone to answer you. Your plane is a trainer, so appropriate for a new pilot to build and fly. They were good flyers, inexpensive, durable, and easy to work on. That plane went out of production around 20 years ago, so it's at least that old. I'm not aware of a collector market, so you don't have some rare barn find. I'd be surprised if they ever command a premium price, especially built. There is the rare individual who gets excited about a new in box old airplane, but that's about it. I'd say the airframe alone would probably bring $75-$100. If there is a new engine and servos, add another $100. Most radios that a new pilot would have bought back then would be pretty much worthless now.
As for keeping it for future flyers- it'll probably be in the same shape 20 more years from now that it is now. As long as it's not stored somewhere damp where mold can get started and vermin don't chew on it, it'll be fine. That said, I'd sell it unless there is sentimental value attached and get the kids a new airplane if they take an interest later.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:05 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

https://hartford.craigslist.org/tag/...223946827.html

This is a good example of what $225 will buy in my area , and measured against an old .40 sized trainer that needs the wing "re-skinned" (re covered with possible structural repairs ?) I'd say the OP would be extremely lucky to get $100 for it if it is otherwise intact with a never run engine and servos . I'm not looking to burst the OP's hopes on getting a good chunk of change for it , I'm just trying to see that the OP has realistic expectations of what it's worth against other RC planes being advertised for sale . If you go to craigslist and type in "RC Airplane" in the "Toys and games" section you'll quickly see that RC airplane prices are at an all time low right now and there are some really nice RC planes available at "fire sale" prices , such as the Cherokee in my example .

PS , the Cherokee is NOT my airplane , I have no connection to it or it's seller whatsoever , it's just one of the many REALLY good deals I've seen lately , reinforcing my opinion that if the OP saw even $100 for the Skylark he should consider himself lucky indeed
Old 12-27-2020, 07:37 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with the above comments. IMO the only item there that may have some value would be the engine depending on make and model. If on the odd chance the engine would be an OS 40 FSR or a Super Tiger G .40 that is clean and never seen fuel then $125 for the engine would not be unreasonable. If the engine is one of the knock offs such as Magnum or Thunder tiger of that era then not much value there.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:55 AM
init4fun

Hi Speed , did you notice the one huge mistake the guy selling the Cherokee made ?

The guy has what appears to be his Social Security number written on the inside of plane's fuselage , and he has now published it for all the craigslist scammers to exploit !

I'd almost consider sending the guy a message to remove his SSN from the listing , but since that ad is a full 2 months old , I'll bet there are already at least a few CL scammers using his identity as we speak . Having an AMA and FAA number on the plane ? Sure , gotta stay legal with FAA and in compliance with AMA for the insurance & all , but if both an AMA and FAA number aren't enough to identify who owns the plane , I don't think the added risk of exposing one's SSN is gonna help .

PS , here are a few more ads from my local area CL listings , short money indeed for some decent model airplanes (none of which are mine , I'm at present neither selling nor buying)

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ta...252228658.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ta...248700018.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ta...244008780.html

Last edited by init4fun; 12-27-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:14 AM
speedracerntrixie

Don't see a SSN but I do see what appears to be a phone number hand written in the fuselage. The 860 area code is for the Hartford CT area.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 12-27-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:29 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Don't see a SSN but I do see what appears to be a phone number hand written in the fuselage. The 860 area code is for the Hartford CT area.
Yes , looking at it again the first numerals are indeed "860" in the second place it's written . In the first place it's written it looked like "060" , which I mistook for an SSN

Were I looking to buy , I'd offer $175 and since it's been listed for 2 months I'd bet $175 would bring it home . Hell , for $175 I'd gladly make the road trip to Connecticut for it !
Old 12-27-2020, 08:46 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes, $175 would be a great deal for that airplane. We all like to collect for sure. I see airplanes at great prices and give it a minute or two to realize that I already have more then I can fly in a week. The last two I bought had the engines stuck and needed a good cleaning. The last one was a World Models Midget Mustang with an OS .61 FX and full complement of Futaba 3003 servos. I cleaned it up, replaced the bearings in the engine and replaced the wheel pants. While cleaning my shop I assembled a box full of goodies and posted on a local club's Facebook page that the first guy who shows up gets the box full of goodies and a 54" Cessna 195 short kit ( no plans ). The guy who showed had just beat cancer and is determined to enjoy the life he has left. He took one look at the Mustang and had to have it. He got it for what I had invested into it which was $150. After hearing his story I wasn't interested in making a dime off him. Since then we have become great Facebook friends and I look forward to flying with him in the spring.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:51 AM
init4fun

Nice ! I'm happy to hear that ! The guy will have some great times with the Mustang and you've made another model airplane friend , a win-win for sure !
Old 12-27-2020, 08:43 PM
jester_s1

You guys are probably right about the price. I was being optimistic.
$100 for the whole thing is probably about right, considering the plane needs to be recovered.
I had one of those Tiger trainers several years ago. I had changed clubs to be closer to home, and they had these 2 big oak trees right in the way. The club president said that the property owner wouldn't hear of cutting them down. It was winter so the leaves were gone which made depth perception harder. I thought I was inside the trees and the trainer exploded into confetti. I've never seen a plane go into such small pieces. I still have the landing gear in my garage somewhere.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:58 AM
init4fun

Hi Jester ,

There was a time not all that long ago when your price estimate would have been pretty well spot on , but within the past few years prices have really plummeted . If I had to guess why , my guess would that the upcoming FAA regs coupled with what the corona virus has done to the economy are what deflated the market , the whole "discretionary spending" thing & all .....
Old 12-28-2020, 12:00 PM
jester_s1

There is seasonal variation too. You can get more for a used trainer in the spring and summer than you can in the winter. Covid has definitely put a damper on things. People definitely are doing more home projects, but probably not as many that gets them out around people.