Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

In a loop, the plane rotates to the right.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

In a loop, the plane rotates to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 09:55 PM
rsieminski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a loop, the plane rotates to the right.

During tighter loops, the down leg, the plane rotates on it's axis, like I added aileron just slightly. I think it might be drag caused by the mousse can pipe. What to do?
Thanks,
--Rick
Old 05-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Herb-RCU

Rick,

I had this same problem with my wife's trainer. It turned out that the wing was warped. If it is a flat bottom wing, it is pretty easy to tell if it is warped. You can look at the wing either head on or from the end and see warp if it is there. Another way to check is to get two long dowels or yard sticks. Stick one of them against the wing near the fuselage and another one at the tip. If the wing has no warp then they will line up when looked at from the side. I think that it is most important that both wing halves are the same.

If you decide that a wing is warped, you can have someone twist it for you and then using a heat gun, you get all of of the new wrinkles out. It works really well and this might solve your problem.

The other thing that you might want to check is that your plane is balanced laterally. Pick it up by the spinner and under the tail. If the plane falls to the same side every time you should add weight to the other side.

I hope this helps,

Herb
Old 05-30-2002, 11:00 PM
rsieminski

Nah, it's not warped. Very slightly heavier on the pipe side. Maybe I'll try adding a touch of lead to the other tip. It is so slight though, I don't know if it will make a dif.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lateral balance problem WILL make a plane behave like that.

Another cause could be your elevators. Does each side of the Elev have it's own push rod, or are the two sides linked with a wire joiner? What can happen is that one Elev deflects more than the other causing them to act like Ailerons.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:23 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Check the elevator halves as Mike suggested. If they are ok, it could be that you have over-corrected for level flight with ailerons. Trim the rudder for a straight loop, then adjust the ailerons for level flight.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:45 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trim

my guess is it needs left rudder trimmed in. you also said tight loops....maybe too much elev. and trying to snap out of loop? go with the rudder trim first tho....-Tinman-
Old 06-01-2002, 04:07 AM
rsieminski

I added the PB, and will try again tomorrow am, and let you guys know. If the PB doesn't help, I'll go down the line of things to try. Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:57 PM
rsieminski

Well, a little delayed. I was tuning a new pipe and adjusting the mixture screw when bazzzzzzap. Nailed my finger with the prop. Lucky it was at idle. Blood all over the place, TX, wing, driveway, carpet, 2 towels! Cut my L index finger to the bone. Just plane stupid carelessness!
Anyway, finger all bandaged up, I flew with the extra PB on the L wingtip. Loops are much better. A slight tendency to roll out in the opposite direction. I will remove some of the PB, and I'm sure it will fix it completely.
This was more of a guesstimate, for the amt of weight. Holding the spinner and aft end of the fuse, I tried to make the sides fall evenly. Hardly accurate. Is there a better way?
--Rick
Old 06-05-2002, 02:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I'm doing it alone, I usually rest the spinner on something (like a paint can) and then lift the tail by hand.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:06 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

OUCH! :spinnyeye bad prop... -Tinman-