Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Four star build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Four star build

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Four star build

See post 37 for my location recommendation. Near mid-aileron is nice but usually not done to keep wiring shorter. If the wings are apart, it will be easier NOW to install some form of wire guide tubes or at least cut a path. You may have to drill/cut a hole thru the ribs for them. take a look at your options, also described in previous posts, and select one. You have to be able to get the wiring from the servos to the Rec. Try to decide what length extensions you need to buy, they could even be installed permanently before covering if you feel the need(probably not on THIS plane)
Old 05-03-2005, 09:06 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Also take into account how you are going to connect those servos to the receiver. If you are going to use 2 channels on your receiver (can be done only with computer radios) you're fine, but if you want to plug both into one channel on the receiver you're going to need to get a y-harness in addition to the extensions.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

goodluck, if you're interested in sheeting the deck, this may help: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...tm.htm#2465127
Old 05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

My bad for not replying, i had it typed in but forgot to press ok.

ken, I will be using two channels. And i am thinking about the deck, I mostlikely will sheet it because i can't think about not sheeting it.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Pilot Chad

Sorry for not updating, but not much has happened. Me and my friend have been putting model rocket engines in foam planes the last couple of days, and haven't got one to light up yet I will get it on video though.

The update....
I put in the little boxes for the airleron servos and also put the servos in tonight. I sanded the wing joint for the 3rd time and it should join good this time. I don't have any pics, but will get some at a later date. I think tommrow i begin on attachting the wing... but i am also going flying tommrow with the new radio, so that might not get done..
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 AM
bruce88123

"putting model rocket engines in foam planes"

Egads, what next?

Don't blow yourself up.

Meant to tell you to have a servo in the wing servo plate so you can set the height correctly. Would not be good to install too low and have bottom of servo sticking thru top of wing. NO NO NO [:@] [:@] Not cool.

Please tell me you thought of that.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Pilot Chad

Yeah, I actually biult the tray around the servo pretty much. Accidently CAed the servos in there.... But that should be fine....
Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 AM
bruce88123

Debonder to get loose while you still have good access.

Anybody remember what the generic for debonder is? Would be cheaper if it doesn't attack the plastic of the servo case. Every mistake has it's price.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Pilot Chad

Bruce, these servos never will move. I honestly don't care if they get glued in though i know you will find a reason for me to debond them. I can't wait to fly today. I haven't flown in about a month...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM
bruce88123

Sure makes it easier to run the wires, apply covering, repair servos and more.

Carelessness, not good. Yes, it happens to all of us.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:35 AM
drunkenbushman

Just been reading thru this post and the built looks like it is going well. Bruce the way you talk to Chad reminds me so much of a farther, well how my dad usually talks to me when i do these kinds things, and Chad your the young eager jumping two paces ahead of himself ME when i do these kinda things, oh i think i forgot to say impatient :P hehe.

Good luck with the built Chad, Bruce and Ken, good luck keeping young Chad at a slow pace :P
Old 05-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Pilot Chad

Bruce and ken remind me of a father. Espeacially bruce telling me to get on my studies[:@]BOO!!!!!!!lol bruce. anyone know the price for a Aviation college and grades needed.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:23 AM
bruce88123

Yep, too much and high.

"Aviation college" would need a bit more definition. Aeronautical Engineering or Flight training or both? Air Force Academy is cheap but hard to get into. One of the best in the country is ALL respects.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM
kiswa

I notice you're in Alabama... The University of Alabama has a historically strong department of aeronautical engineering. If you like Auburn better... well, think agriculture instead.

Yeah, I'm a UofA grad.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chad,
Oh trust me, I have had to control myself to NOT sound like your father. I have a 13 year old son, so it comes naturally to me. If you would prefer I could talk to you that way!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
bruce88123

Are you going to send him to his room?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

Bruce, these servos never will move. I honestly don't care if they get glued in though i know you will find a reason for me to debond them. I can't wait to fly today. I haven't flown in about a month...
Chad,
Not sure how I missed this post the first time around. But I found it when re-reading the thread. Naw, Bruce ain't gonna come up with a reason to debond them. He doesn't need to because I'm going to.

First of all, CA'ing servos in is just plain poor craftsmanship.

Second, the amount of CA that you need to hold them tight will more than likely crack when the vibration from the motor starts shaking it around. And besides, servos aren't meant to be mounted tightly. What do you think those rubber grommets that came with them are for? They are to isolate the servo from vibrations. Since you CA'ed the servos directly to the airframe EVERY vibration is going directly into the servo. Vibration can totally destroy servos. Keep that in mind before you decide to leave them because ....

Bruce, these servos never will move. I honestly don't care if they get glued in
If you think that you're good enough to bring in a 4* with rudder only because your aileron servos have failed, then by all means leave em in there.

Ok, so I'm gonna sound like a father now, but can't get the point across any other way. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well. Think about the amount of money you have invested in this plane and the radio that you're rushing through just to get it in the air. Chad, slow down a bit and do a good job. The reward will come in the end with a great flying airplane.

Ok, I'll get off my dad soapbox now.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:59 PM
bruce88123

BTW- Who says the servos will fail at a neutral point? Might fail when ALL the away over to one side. They haven't built a rudder yet that will make up for that. [:@] Bye-Bye 4*
Old 05-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Pilot Chad

RCKEN, I didn't meaningfully glue in servos, I biult my tray around them and they got glue on them. The servos ARE screwed in with the rubber things. I have pics, but the cam is in the flight box which i am going to fly in a bit. I will go ahead and show them with my plane pics after todays flight.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chad,
Right now it doesn't matter if you have the "rubber things" (also known as grommets) in or not. Since you have glued the servos to the wood the grommets will have no effect at all. All vibrations will be transferred directly from the wood to the servo through the glue.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Pilot Chad

ok.

I was supposed to fly my plane today, but the new engine made my fuel tank vibrate too much causing airbubbles... I was kinda mad, but i got to fly the LT-25 and that was cool. It is quite an aerobatic plane for a trainer. I think we will go back out sunday if weather holds up...
Old 05-06-2005, 09:14 PM
caseyh46
My Feedback: (1)

did you fly the LT-25 on the buddy box? sounds like the 4* is coming along good... thinking of building one myself.. or perhaps a hog bipe.... oh yeah... and as far as schools go... for an aviation school you can't go wrong with Embry Riddle Aeronautical University... they have everything from flight training for civil aviation to aviation management (which is what I"m doing) Oh yeah.. and if you go the military thing.. and I have to say this by default... go with the Navy not the Chair Force (couldn't helpe it sorry.. hope I don't get flamed) alot of people don't know that the Navy actually has more airplanes than the Air Force... but that's just my extremely biased opinion... might have something to do with my 8 years navy service
Old 05-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Pilot Chad

lt-25 was pass the transmitter around high flying. We flew high because we were flying till it dead sticked and needed the altitude, and i hadn't flown in a month. Most of the day we messed around with my parachute drop. We dropped dusty gravel which turned into smoke. It was awsome... Good fun with the instructor messing around..
Old 05-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Pilot Chad

ok guys. I redid the design for aileron servos. I wanted to make sure it is good before glueing it in. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73838.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	268875  
Old 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chad,
first off, why did you "redo" the design? The piece of ply really doesn't need to span 2 bays of the wing. I'm not a 100% on the design of the 4* wing, but the servo would be better if it was centered in on the aileron. Also, I'm looking at the stringer that runs under between the servo and the trailing edge, why is it missing in the inner most bay? Those stringers are what provides structural support for the wing, you don't want to be cutting them across bays like that. As it is now there isn't anything providing support to the lower edge of your servo tray. Keep in mind, ribs do not provide any support in the wing. They are there to provide the wing with it's shape. I could spend a lot of time here explaining the structural members of a wing, but it's already been done in a lot better fashion. RCU member Cafeenman has an outstanding website. It might do some good for you to spend a few nights reading over the info on his site. I always seem to learn something new every time I visit it. you can find it at [link]http://www.airfieldmodels.com[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.