Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plane.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plane.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:56 PM
P51p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane.

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any advice on a second plane I should get. I am still flying my .60 size trainer, and would like to move up to a faster plane. I like the Goldberg Edge 540T form Tower hobbies (.90 size) not sure if this would be too much plane for me right now. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 PM
dmanson
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Second plane.

A Hangar 9 Ultra Stick is a great second plane. Not a huge jump from a trainer and does well in fun-fly events.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I'm buying this for my second plane. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4100 or https://www.wholesaletrains.com/Deta...p?ID=200463814 I'm buying the PNP version so I can get to the field sooner. It's a great Low Wing Trainer, and the price isn't too bad. Free shipping at Whole Sale Trains, plus there sales and service is better than Horizon from what I heard.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Flak

P51p,
You want the 540? Go for it. Get with an experienced pilot to help you with the first couple of flights to trim it out. Always stay ahead of the plane in your mind and be prepared. Watch the landings, as these types of planes can be bouncy. Good Luck and Happy Landings.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are willing to go DOWN in engine size a little bit, then this is a pretty good/fast low winger.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT80&P=ML
Fun to fly too.
Still lands nicely though.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
rc-plane

The harmon rocket might be nice it does all the stunts but still is a good plane i am thinking of getting that next.

[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SEA3050[/link]

There is a thread on here that you can read and from what i read people were putting some pretty big motors in it and it is only a 40 sized. The guy at my field has a evolution 52 in his and it is fast but you take your motor from your trainer and put it in her and she would really buzz.

chris
Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 AM
-EXTRA-

My bro has a kaos that thing flys LOL it is real fast
Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
-EXTRA-

My bro has a kaos that thing flys LOL it is real fast
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a symmetrical wing plane semi stable is a good choice a "sig something extra" can be flown with some help at first then you can wring it out,a fun plane made by a local guy called a GIZMO is a fun kit to put together, I power mine with a OS46ax the thing rocks and floats in for landings,I like to take it out and push it hard holding up well so far.
if you want to advance to a pattern or sport type think tail dragger learning the rudder control on take off and landings with a T.D.helps the flying in a big way. my GIZMO is simple to build and repair the second plane always seems to be the beater cause you are always trying new stuff and stuff happens.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71065.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	569785  
Old 12-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Flak

RClPlane,
I will say this about the Harmon Rocket ARF: AWESOME!!! I bought one for my son, who went from an Avistar 40 to the Harmon Rocket. This plane is extremely responsive and aerobatic. I powered his with an O.S. 46 and she's a screamer at full throttle. This plane is capable of any aerobatic maneuver the pilot can put her through. She's also docile and gentle at slow speeds. Easy take offs and landings are no problem. Give one a try, you won't be disappointed. Good Luck and Happy Landings.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 PM
P51p

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

If you are willing to go DOWN in engine size a little bit, then this is a pretty good/fast low winger.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT80&P=ML
Fun to fly too.
Still lands nicely though.
My buddy at the field flies this plane, its very fast and way too touchy for me right now. It think I may go for the Sig Four Star .60-.75 low wing.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:12 PM
P51p

ORIGINAL: Flak

P51p,
You want the 540? Go for it. Get with an experienced pilot to help you with the first couple of flights to trim it out. Always stay ahead of the plane in your mind and be prepared. Watch the landings, as these types of planes can be bouncy. Good Luck and Happy Landings.
I would love to go for it. But I think it may be worth waiting until I have some experience with a low wing first.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seriously think about a something with a fat wing root, and something with the tail on the ground learning to fly one of these will help with other planes in the future, and a fat wing root will give you lift and stability thats why I recomended the SSE its a 80$ kit and a easy build for the beginner and you can fly the heck out of it set it on low rates for the first flights with some help and you will be ripping up the sky on high rates in no time, then you will be ready for that fast pattern plane.
for some reason when I loaded the pic. of my GIZMO it came out huge on the page so I reloaded it maybe look at trying to build a kit, there fun and will give you the time to work into the idea of flying something new.
I built the gizmo in about 3 weeks of evenings its simple to build something like that you don't have a 1,000,000 hours into it and you get some building time experience also knowing you put it together your self is pretty cool.
I have as many ARF's as kits, a well built kit that you can call your own is a pretty satisfying thing .
Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think that the Kaos is too much plane for you then an Edge is definitely going to be too much plane for you. Actually a Kaos is a really easy plane to fly, much easier and more forgiving than a scale aerobatic plane like the Edge540 is going to be. The Kaos you flew was probably too touchy because it was not setup right. That is too much throw and not enough exponential. A Sig 4 Star is not going to be any faster than your trainer, just a LITTLE bit more aerobatic. But that being said, it is probably the best choice for a second plane that has been mentioned other than the Pulse, which I have not actually flown. But basis its wing design and general shape is likely going to be very similar to the 4*, SSE etc, etc... They are all generally the same in the way that they handle, not enough difference between them in the way they handle to consider significant. Back to the kaos, its going to be sleek, quick and smoooooth. Its a good starter pattern plane. Its not necessarily going to be super fast if you manage the throttle, but it will be faster than the thick winged FF planes mentioned in this thread.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 AM
bruce88123

The Kaos 40 just needs proper throws, perhaps expo and throttle management until you are used to it. They are very clean flying and predictable planes that can actually land at a fairly low speed all things considered. Using lower rates for takeoff and landing may also help.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
ELTIGRE

any of the UGLY STICK types will be fine . the Four Star kind of breaks the mold so to speak but on low throws , can work very well as #2 plane. if you want a kit the old Bridi/GP trainer 60 series is hard to beat & looks better than the stick. the old Sig Kommander & smaller brother/ Kavalier was an excellent transition plane & flew well.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Fastsky

If a Kaos is landing too fast for you then you are just not landing it right. I have a Kaos 60 that I bought from another flyer built from plans. It doesn't mind to land fast but it also doesn't mind landing at a very slow walk and still have full control. The plane also has a very good glide. Thats why I use the plane for testing/breaking in new 60 or 75 size engines. IF I get a deadstick, I know that I can glide the plane back to the run way and set it down in 1 piece. I don't really like the shape of the plane in the air so other than engine break in and testing I don't fly I much. [8D]
Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
CGRetired

For a second plane, you want something that may be faster, and more maneuverable, but not to the point where you are behind the curve all the time. You must learn to anticipate what is to happen next and with something that is overly maneuverable or touchy, and fast, well, you are on the road to disaster with that. The Kaos is a great plane to move up to. As is the Tiger II or 60, or the Four Star 40 or 60. If you want to move into pattern at some future time, you may also consider the Venus 40. Agreed, some are smaller, but they are good flyers and easy on the nerves. You can't go wrong with the Kaos, though. As Mike said, as well as a few others, set it up gently with low level throws on all surfaces. Fly it for a while, then increase the throws just a bit. Keep this up until you are running out of adjustment. Then you will be ready for the challenge of the Edge 540T.

DS.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
P51p

I think you were wright, the Kaos probably was setup wrong. It sounds like the four star may be a good choice as a second plane as I move away from my trainer. Once I master the four star and run out of throw adjustments I may be ready for something like the 540T.

Graham
Old 12-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Fastsky

The Kaos is a very responsive plane will follow your stick movements closely. Thats why the Kaos isn't used as a trainer even though it is capable of very slow flight. Most 2nd/sport planes will be much faster at full throttle than any trainer and also be much more responsive. Thats why going from a trainer to a sport plane can be a shock and leave you panicking if you don't have the experience to go with a light touch on the sticks. The Kaos being a pattern plane is more responsive than most sport planes to be able to fly pattern so your buddys plane was probably setup properly. You just aren't ready for that kind of plane yet. Btw, a Decathlon is a high wing but its as responsive or more so than a Kaos so that wouldn't be a good choice right now either! [X(]
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM
chopper man

What are your feeling about the Voyager MK 11 arf by Tower Hobbies as a second plane?
Chopper man
Old 12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that's a very sensible second plane.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:15 PM
bruce88123

I've looked it over and read the manual and it looks to be a fine second plane for you.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 PM
P51p

I finally bit the bullet today and got the Goldberg Tiger 60 with an OS .65 engine from Tower Hobbies for my second plane. Should arrive in a few days. Wish me luck! Can't wait to fly it. Sorry no kits only ARF for me, no time to build a kit.

Graham
Old 12-08-2006, 08:11 AM
bruce88123

That's a decision we all must make for ourselves. Good luck with the Goldberg, I think you'll like it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.