Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Picking the right plane for BF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Picking the right plane for BF

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:59 PM
lilgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking the right plane for BF

Hi, Recently my boyfriend has gotten really into RC gas-powered cars, so I was thinking for a Christmas present I would get him an RC plane. I want to get him a good quality plane that will last for a while and allow him to experiment with it and do tricks and what not. I have no where near as much money as I'd like to spend on it, right now I'd say I max out at $200 but I will work my butt off to make extra money if I need to. Anyways, so far I was looking at:
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330057756474&rd=1&rd=1]Estes R/C Presidential VIP Twin Jet Engine[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Tower-Hobbies-TOWER-Trainer-40-MKII-4-Channel-RTF-62_W0QQitemZ290057413768QQihZ019QQcategoryZ19164QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem]Tower Hobbies TOWER Trainer 40 MKII 4-Channel RTF 62[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/COx-Thimble-Drome-P-51-MUSTANG_W0QQitemZ220059391254QQihZ012QQcategoryZ34 054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]COx Thimble Drome P 51 MUSTANG[/link]

Those are only three examples, I am really quite lost in this search. So far I know that I would like one that is RTF... unless someonecould recommend an ARF which, when all pieces are bought, is cheaper that a RTF plane.
Also, I am posting this in the plane category, but I am not limited to planes. Any recommendations of any type of RC vehicle for less than $200 would be great! Just think, what would you want your girlfriend to get you for Xmas?

Thanks for any/all help guys!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Picking the right plane for BF

Welcome to RCU. Hopefully we'll be able to help you out here.

Of the three you listed on the Tower Trainer is really a true RC plane. That would be the one that I recommend. If you're looking for what else is out there I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers. Take a look at the list and see if anything suits your needs. You can find that list here:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer, what's available. (Updated 10-3-06) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Just the thought of you looking for a R/C gift for your boyfriend brings a tear to my eye. he does not know how lucky he is
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM
e-flight22

Hi and welcome to RCU and r/c airplanes,

"Just the thought of you looking for a R/C gift for your boyfriend brings a tear to my eye. he does not know how lucky he is." Amen to that....my gf wont even buy me r/c airplane stuff lol. she says the stuff is to expensive and that she doenst have the money for it lol. he is one lucky guy !

Well for the plane id suggest the tower trainer 40MKII 4-Channel RTF. I'd suggest buying it directly from tower hobbies though instead at: www.towerhobbies.com that way someone cant sell you something on ebay that might not have everything you are supposed to get. also at towerhobbies they have gift things for certain amounts you spend, so that helps, like for example you spend 200 you get $15 back or something like that. they are reliable and back their products, and the price is good for a beginner plane that is a trainer like the tower trainer 40. It may cost a bit more initially but its well worth it and will work great for you and your boyfriend. Good luck with your choice and if you have any more questions feel free to ask us. thats what this site is for
Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree that the Tower trainer is your best deal. I also think you should buy direct from Tower.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCXF4**&P=ML
Tower has several payment plans also which may make this purchase easier on your budget too. Check into it, give them a call, do what ever you need to satisfy yourself. Tower is a long established company (so is Omni, I'm not picking on them) but if the plane is damaged in shipping or for any other reason you need to contact the mfg it will be best to eliminate a middle-man.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
gunfighterII

The Tower deal is the way to go, use the $25 off ad number on the home page, but you will also need fuel and a glow driver to start and break in the engine, please go to your nearest club and enlist someone there to help him get started and provide a little flight training or he will end up with a bunch of sticks after about 10 seconds. Flying is easy, he will just need a little help.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just think, what would you want your girlfriend to get you for Xmas?
Nothing that would arouse my wife's suspicions.

You should also know that a car transmitter (the radio you hold) is different from an airplane's. Legally, they cannot use the same frequency range, and an individual cannot change the transmitter's frequency (also by law). So that means a new radio, too.

But you're still better of with a trainer airplane ;-)
Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Not to be the bummer here but, I would make sure the boyfriend actually want to fly first....its $58 to join the AMA which he would most likely have to do,,then there are club dues which range from $30-$200, you should check that too...he probably does have most of the ground equipment...,but there are lots of car guys that have no interest in flying ,much the same as there are flying guys that have no interest in cars.....ask first lilgirl....Rog
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Missileman

The Tower trainer RTF comes with its own transmitter (made by Futaba I believe).
That is by far the best choice of the 3 you listed.
I would also recommend your BF visit a local club and get some help learning to fly. With proper instruction that Tower Trainer will last a good long time.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

without a doubt go directly to www.towerhobbies.com . not buying from ebay, tower will guarantee there stuff you could also get a gift cert. from them so in case he is not to overjoyed with your selection he could get one he likes
Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lilgirl - your love for your bf is in relation to the size and price of the plane ... so you need to get him the biggest and most expensive! Hehehehe ...

Serously, there is one thing you must consider. How serious will he get into planes. If he is just doing it for some fun then something like a electric plane for the park may work out. If he is very serious then get him something in the mid range so there is no 'waste' (cheap equipment/planes do not have a long life span in terms of use).

I love planes but when I came back to RC I got into cars as I did not know anyone in town to help me fly again. I was mad over cars but when I met the local flyer, I was worse for planes. So do you think he will be really into planes?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Mr67Stang

The Hobbico Avistar became one of my favorite trainers due to its excellent aerobatic abilities while being well mannered enough that a beginner can learn on it. This was the plane that my first student pilot had and it impressed me enough that I will be adding one to my hanger. Here is a link.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMU53**&P=ML

Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 AM
dragline322

Im new to this hobby as well, Let me tell you from expereince PLEASE.... STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING OTHER THAN A HIGH WING TRAINER!!!!!!!! I made the mistake of trying to start in glow fuel with a Mustang... It is now in about 12 different pieces, two really large peices and 10 small random pieces of balsa and plywood. Also I would have to agree with Flyinrog if the bf has mentioned he wants to try an R/C plane then go ahead with a trainer, if not you really may want to be sure its something he would be interested in. GOOD LUCK.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:08 AM
CGRetired

There is always a fourth choice.. if you are so inclined. You may not know if he is ready or even wants to fly RC. A good alternate would be to get him a gift certificate from Tower, or even your local hobby shop, and let him decide what to get. Tell him you thought he may like flying RC and include all of what people above have said (cost of joining the AMA and a club plus the cost of the aircraft and the necessary accessories, although he is probably well on his way if he races RC cars).

Just a little food for thought. I usually get a gift cert from my girlfriend because she does not understand the hobby and does not care to understand.. she has her hobbies and I have mine. She loves to watch, but that's about as far as it gets.

Good luck with that.

DS.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: r/cmark42

Just the thought of you looking for a R/C gift for your boyfriend brings a tear to my eye. he does not know how lucky he is

Yeh, brings a tear to my eye too. She's "reeling" him in good. This poor guy is now going to have to return the favor .$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-12-2006, 11:48 AM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: r/cmark42

Yeh, brings a tear to my eye too. She's "reeling" him in good. This poor guy is now going to have to return the favor .$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Seriously great girlfriend, to have taken the trouble to join this forum to pick a great present for him, well she will have earnt her diamond ring and stuff.

I am going to throw in another suggestion into the mix here, how about buying your BF a simulator like G3 or FSOne (I think that is what it is called), he can practice as much as he wants etc, and when he gets the real thing it will have made things easier, also he can play with it as soon as he gets it.

Also have a look at this one

http://hobbiesdiscounter.c3.ixwebhos...ducts_id=55953

I have no experience with this plane, but the engine and radio are good. And the site is good as well.

James
Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 PM
rhousejr

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Not to be the bummer here but, I would make sure the boyfriend actually want to fly first....its $58 to join the AMA which he would most likely have to do,,then there are club dues which range from $30-$200, you should check that too...he probably does have most of the ground equipment...,but there are lots of car guys that have no interest in flying ,much the same as there are flying guys that have no interest in cars.....ask first lilgirl....Rog
Who says he would have to join AMA? I fly with a friend all the time, he is a good pilot, and I am learning. Niether of us are in the AMA. Also, if it is a Christmas present just get it, he will like it. Afterall it is the thought that counts, and I am guessing that you guys have already discussed it. I cant imagine anyone getting a FREE plane given to them not wanting to take the time to learn. Anywho, Stay with the high wing trainers. You can get an rtf from horizon for less than the 200 you are wanting to spend
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
RVator

You know the flight sim is not a bad idea. So fellow rc pilots at work have gotten other coworkers interested in flying by bringing their flight sims to work and letting them try it. To some it is just a game but 2 guys really took it for real. I let one of them try a trainer on the buddy box and he did pretty good for his first time.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:08 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: rhousejr

Who says he would have to join AMA? I fly with a friend all the time, he is a good pilot, and I am learning. Niether of us are in the AMA. Also, if it is a Christmas present just get it, he will like it. Afterall it is the thought that counts, and I am guessing that you guys have already discussed it. I cant imagine anyone getting a FREE plane given to them not wanting to take the time to learn. Anywho, Stay with the high wing trainers. You can get an rtf from horizon for less than the 200 you are wanting to spend
Well, there's no law saying he has to join a club or the AMA, I imagine there is a bit more free range country in Kentucky than there is in Conneticut..and since he is a car guy, its likely he doesnt have any good pilot friends to help him..so I was just offering up some friendly advice of some expenses/costs he could incur..and while a gift is a gift..and I love 'em ..he may be wishing for a new titanium chassis instead...plus, lilgirl hasnt been back to read yet....Rog
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 AM
bruce88123

Actually Rog, I have seen her logged back on and visiting this thread. But you are correct in that she has not chosen to post again, as yet. I would also like to hear from her what she has decided, whatever that may be.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
chashint

I echo this sentiment, find out if he has any interest in flying planes before you surprise him with one.
No matter how you spin it buying a trainer setup is expensive and flying RC planes is a very different hobby than racing RC cars.
You want it to be "GREAT I GOT RC STUFF !!!!"
Not oh "I got a plane" [>:]
Old 12-17-2006, 11:00 PM
bruce88123

Forget it guys, she hasn't logged on for the past 6 days and only once since posting the original question. It's probably safe to think she has moved on til we hear back from her.