Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

MONOKOTE

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

MONOKOTE

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 AM
KC8QPU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MONOKOTE

How does monokote work??? Is it like shrink wrap? Does it actually stick to the balsa wood?? The reason I am asking is because a plane I have has real cheap and flimsy landing gear (hence i mean wire). So I have decided that in order for me to fly a local grass feild I would upgrade the landing gear to a thin aluminum stock. However I am a little confused as I was told by a local gentleman to just cut back the monokote and adhere the new landing gear to the balsa. I have not done this yet as I am unsure what will happen to the monokote if i were to cut it back. Alright so flood me with some info guys.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: MONOKOTE

Monokote is a heat-shrinkable "plastic" covering. The adhesive on the back is heat activated. Cut back the covering as advised and re-seal the fresh edges with a heat iron.

Dr.1
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course, it may not stick as well the second time.

Make sure the area is CLEAN before you peel the old covering off,

Something else you should know: While "MonoKote" is a brand name, it is also a generic term like "Band-Aid" or "Q-Tip"

There are different brands of covering, some will come off and go back on easier than others. Usually, heat will help you remove it.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
carrellh

I'm not sure why you'd want to remove covering and glue the landing gear to the balsa.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Big feet

Glue will give under the first half heavy landing.
Drill the aluminum and bolt it on, through the covering.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM
JustErik

Somewhat off-topic, but wire gear in and of itself is not necessarily cheap and flimsy. Properly designed, spec'd and installed wire gear is a perfect combination of shock absorption and durability. I'm just throwing this out there as food for thought.

Erik
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Dr1Driver

Erik is right. However - many "Pacific Ring" ARFs have landing gear made from cheap steel that is not heat treated AT ALL. This produces weak, easily bent langing gear legs of the type described.

Dr.1
Old 05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
KC8QPU

Well this decision was based on some other club members who have looked at the plane. It is a Great Planes Mini Supersportster. I was told with the flimsy landing gear id have somewhat of a tough time with the grass strip. I also asked the question because I would like to ad a wheel to the rudder also. I do also agree that a fastner of type would probably be better.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1156-manual.pdf

Is this the plane, a small electric?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:32 PM
KC8QPU

Yes. 400 size electric motor. 39.5" wingspan.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
bruce88123

Now, do you have ANY idea WHAT gear you are going to try to use? These small electrics don't like to carry a lot of extra weight.

BTW - I went to school in Kalamazoo. WMU
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 AM
KC8QPU

SWEET!!! Bronco's rock. Well I'm not sure what gear the stock size is but I have a Himax 2510 4100 coming so the brushless will be going on instead of the stock brushed motor. Last night at the field I was also given a suggestion to try the smaller wire landing gear. Take the wheel skirts off and put on I think they called the wheel locks (not sure it that is the correct term but i Know the lhs will know exactly what I need to do). Suggestion was made only because the wire landing gear has a piece of ply wood the holds it in the fuse. If the landing gear were to break I could screw this other gear right into the wood. The gear I have made up doesn't wiegh much more the wire if any. I haven't weighed it yet though. But being a machinist by trade I have lightened it up a lot and still kept the rigidity (I hope).
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 AM
bruce88123

You can lift any weight if you have enough power and speed but you have to land eventually and that will also need to be at a higher speed. I'm not all that up on electrics so I'm gonna let the others help from here. RCU also has a subsidiary called www.wattflyer.com dedicated to electric flight. Check them out. Also dedicated electric forums here on RCU.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
KC8QPU

thanks I've been doing a lot of reading lately. guess my real question was answered awhile back. But I appreciate everything you guys have chimed in about.