Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd airplane?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd airplane?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Airjunkie82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd airplane?

I flew a slowstick about 2 years ago and i really want to get into something more advanced, as i beleive the "slowness" and "forgivingness" of it, hurt me.

I was looking at the aerobird Swift, which has ailerons.

I have a couple decent size lots around so i was going to fly it there. What do you think about this airplane? If i crash, when i crash*, is it just a buy a new? Or can you actaully by the replacement parts?

I want to stick away from gas/nitro till im confident, and find a better location.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Airjunkie82

Default RE: 2nd airplane?

hmm just saw the controller for the thing, looks pretty awful.

You think i could use my dx6i and the reciever that came with my blade 400?

I mean i want a good electric airplane, but at least put a throttle stick on it with the rudder there !!! SHEESH
Old 03-02-2008, 03:34 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Take a really good look at the Parkzone T-28 Trojan RTF:

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4400

If you're flying a Blade 400, you will be able to fly the T-28. You can upgrade it with a Spektrum receiver if you'd like.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That T-28 looks like a pretty good deal. The combination (motor/ESC/Battery pack) sound like a good matchup. And for all that, the price looks very competetive. This may be worth a try.

I am not sure if this will need a regular field to launch on.. may be a bit much for a large field.

If you DO decide on the T-28, make sure you read the manual supplement provided at Horizon. It is about the proper setting of the CG (Center of Gravity). Most important for new RC'ers to understand and properly set the CG.

CGr.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 AM
goirish

Old CGR up and early again. Hope you didn't get a sunburn laying on the beach.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Insanemoondoggie

He`s up early ,because he is going flying I`m envious , lol . Man I got to get out of this frozen waste land .
Old 03-02-2008, 08:45 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys.

Irish... I was up at the crack of dawn this morning... as usual.

Well, yes on the sunburn, but it turns quickly to tan. So, I will go back north a tad darker than I came down here. And today is Baseball day! Julie and I are going to see the Pittsburgh Pirates play the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at the Pirates winter home field here in Bradenton. It's opening day!!

I am going to head to the RC field tomorrow, though.

CGr.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM
goirish

I'm tellin ya, ya need someone to help you at the field. Not I don't normally do that, but in your case I will make an exception. Just wanna keep ya happy.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:10 AM
F-15 Fan

Maybe a mini Pulse?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Airjunkie82

So will this t-38 be okay in a decent park/ small field?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:42 PM
mclina

The Aerobird Swift is not a good plane for a small field, and it is not a beginner plane. You need at least two football fields to fly it, or you will be climbing trees to retrieve it (don't ask).

I bought one before I was ready for it, and had a really hard time keeping it in the air. It has to fly pretty fast, and it is really picky about how far back you push the battery. Once it starts getting bent up, it flies even worse. I ended up using the guts from mine to fly a Slow Stick. I've thought about putting it back together now that I have flown several other planes, but I just don't think it is worth the effort.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Airjunkie82

So will this t-38 be okay in a decent park/ small field?
The T-28 Trojan from Parkzone will require a larger park or field area to fly. All planes with ailerons tend to fly quickly by design as aileron's aren't effective at lower speeds. You're going to want a space where there are two or three soccer fields next to one another or someplace with a similarly wide expanse.

Check out some of the following YouTube videos to get an idea of the speed of the plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIEQu2w9WfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7oMFUtGS0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJwhL3xJ3jE

Just searching for "Parkzone Trojan" at YouTube.com turned up about 60 hits.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Witterings

I thought I'd posted a reply to this, maybe it had timed out or was censored if it was deemed as being critical of a product but anyway I'll try again !!!
Aerobird Swift is by far the worst plane I've had, it has a horrible stall and will just fall out of the air if you try and come in for a slow landing which any beginner will be trying to do. It's easily damaged and hard to repair in comparison to other better flying products and as one other person said you will need a reasonable amout of space to fly it in. The set up as well there are a number of threads about trying to get it to go up rather than down from take off and I suffered that as well.
Personally I'd look at a Multiplex MiniMag which I bought after the Swift and wish I'd just gone straight to it in the 1st place !
For a foamy the MiniMag is very durable and easy to repair with a bit of normal CA, as you get more advanced you can move the CoG further back and up the throws bit by bit to then get you ready for an even more advanced model.
I'll keep a copy this time in case I have to post it again !!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: Witterings

I thought I'd posted a reply to this, maybe it had timed out or was censored if it was deemed as being critical of a product but anyway I'll try again !!!
Aerobird Swift is by far the worst plane I've had, it has a horrible stall and will just fall out of the air if you try and come in for a slow landing which any beginner will be trying to do. It's easily damaged and hard to repair in comparison to other better flying products and as one other person said you will need a reasonable amout of space to fly it in. The set up as well there are a number of threads about trying to get it to go up rather than down from take off and I suffered that as well.
Personally I'd look at a Multiplex MiniMag which I bought after the Swift and wish I'd just gone straight to it in the 1st place !
For a foamy the MiniMag is very durable and easy to repair with a bit of normal CA, as you get more advanced you can move the CoG further back and up the throws bit by bit to then get you ready for an even more advanced model.
I'll keep a copy this time in case I have to post it again !!!!
I saw your original post, and I agreed with it. To expand on what I said in my earlier post, my experience with the Aerobird Swift was similar to yours. I admit that I was not ready for it, so I don't blame the plane, but I would discourage any beginners from starting out with the Swift. The guy at my LHS even told me it was not a beginner plane, but I didn't listen .

When I finally gave up on mine, I was on my third set of wings and my second fuselage, and I had repaired each of those many times. I had a few good flights, but a lot more javelin throws into the ground. I'm sure I could fly it now, but it would be too much work putting it back together, and all of its parts are in other planes that are more fun.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
slam beach

A good 2nd electric airplane is the e-flite mini pulse(I think),it is forgiving at slower speeds,good slow flight, lands as easy as a trainer,does decent acro at higher speeds,and if you don't have any gear,it's avail as a PNP($209).All you need is a RX and battery,the battery/charger combo from parkzone is a good value ($79.95) if you don't have a li-po charger already.You can have it built in less time than it takes to charge the battery,and it will fit in a small car trunk fully assembled.
And that's my two cents worth....................