Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bragging about the .55 AX

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bragging about the .55 AX

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bragging about the .55 AX

I sent my student out to buy A new OS .46 LA for the new trainer, he came back with A new OS .55 AX. Today was the day for break in and test running.
What can I say, I opened the high end out 1 3/4 turns, pointed my finger at it and commanded it to start. Well, sorta, it took one little bump with the starter after I choked it. I never had to touch the low end at all. I ran it fat for one tank then leaned it out and ran it up and down for the next tank. The thing will idle at 900 rpm then run right up without A stammer. Sometimes things just work right out of the box.
Haven't been this impressed sense I got my SK .91.
Just had to brag A little and sing some praise for OS, this one is A keeper.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bragging about the .55 AX

I've found almost all new OS two stroke engines to behave this way. They don't require much break in besides flying it rich and never quit running. I bet his trainer hauls ***** now!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have gone through A lot of the OS engines myself and agree with you. I do lock tight the head screws before starting the LAs though, I have had A lot of them come loose during break in.
This one was just so much smoother then any of the others. It's sitting in A Nexstar and we will maiden this one next week if the wind ever slows down.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That pretty much sums up my experience with both the .55 and .75 AX's. Easy to start, easy to tune and never once deadsticked on me.

I also have an FS .91 Surpass II which has been every bit as reliable.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had the same experience with the 55AX, the 75AX, and two 46AX's

OS has a winner on their hands!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

And add the 1.20 AX to that list. I have three of them and they are all pretty much the same. A hard slap on the prop in the backwards direction and it's running. Transitions, high end power, idle, everything. Great engines.

CGr
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I"ve lost count of the .46AXs I've helped break in. I chuckle to myself every time another guy brings his new plane with a new engine on it for me to break in. Word is I'm supposed to have a touch breaking in OS AXs. lol..... I do have a secret. Do it like the book says do it. And I don't know a one of them that's given any kind of trouble. Maybe half of them show low end rich symptoms after a couple of weeks. That's it.

And I got 2 .55AXs and a .75AX. They run just as good. Can't say they actually have anything distinctive that sets 'em apart other than the extra power.

One thing I've been noticing over the last year is that as a group, they all seem to have a better range of props they spin "best". Years ago, you'd often see engines that were persnickety and favored a fairly tight range of prop. These seem to be happy with way more than just a few favorites.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
yetti831

OS .55 AX Vs. TH .46.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: yetti831

OS .55 AX Vs. TH .46.
Not even close. Heck, not even in the same ball park. Easily the OS 55 AX.

Ken
Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 PM
yetti831

Not even considering the difference in price? Same power? O.S.- Easy tuning. T.H.- A total pain the . . .
Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Not even considering the difference in price? Same power? O.S.- Easy tuning. T.H.- A total pain the . . .
It's kind of like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Corvette. Yeah, the Malibu is cheaper. But the Corvette is, well, a Vette!!!

Even if you take the difference in price they 55 AX blows the socks off of the Tower Hobby engine. Yes, you do pay a little bit for the OS name. But in this case you are paying more for WAY more engine. All of the new AX engines (55, 75, and 120) set new standards for engines that others will be scrambling to catch up to. I recently did a review on the 75 AX and all I can say is that this engine is a "Stump Puller". It's easily one of THE best engines I have ever owned. The 55 AX is in that same class. There really isn't much competition for it, IMHO.

Ken
Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
yetti831

I completely understand what you're saying. I want to get nice O.S. ASAP, but they both say 1.75 at 16,000 rpm. What other specs contribute to the power of an engine? Do these engines not have the same output? If the Mailbu can keep up with the vette . . . Fill me in! I'm not yet very technical.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM
ChuckW

That's one nice engine isn't it? My latest .55-AX arrived on a Friday evening and I bolted it on after dinner, checked the CG on the plane and fired it. It took one flip with a stick, I didn't even bother dragging out my electric starter. Since it was late, I only ran it a few seconds. The next morning I drove out to the field, fired it up (one flip again), set the needle slightly rich and took off. It never missed a beat. On the second or third flight I leaned out both needles just a little bit and it's ran perfect ever since.

My .75-AX was pretty similar although it did dead stick on me during it's second flight. It was a little lean though so I take the blame for that.

I've tried the less expensive engines and had some success but none have been as nice as the OS AX line. I own .46's, .55's and a .75 and I'll never own a glow 2-stroke that isn't an OS again. If anyone getting into the hobby is wondering which engine to get, the OS 2-strokes are the way to go in my opinion. Yes, they cost more but it is money well spent. The reliability and hassle free operation make them a better value I believe.

Now that I said that I'll probably jinx myself and one will quit on me at the wrong time.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM
danny31292

My os's run great. 2 and 4 strokes. I run out of fuel more than I dead stick. I also always land with 1/4 of tank normally 1/2. How's that for reliability. I just want to try a webra 50. Lighter than the 46 ax and more power. I also want to try saito's. Lighter and more power ounce again. OS has reliability but they're are not as aggressive in lightening their engines as the other manufacturers.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I completely understand what you're saying. I want to get nice O.S. ASAP, but they both say 1.75 at 16,000 rpm. What other specs contribute to the power of an engine? Do these engines not have the same output? If the Mailbu can keep up with the vette . . . Fill me in! I'm not yet very technical.
First of all, most of those specs that you read from the manufacturers are far from what the engine will actually do. So it's really not a great way to compare engines. Like I said, there is no comparison between the two engines. The OS is a power house, and the Tower is middle of the pack engine. I'm not saying that it's not a decent engine, but when put up against a new OS it doesn't compare.

So no, these engines do not have the same output. In this case, the Malibu cannot keep up with the Vette.

Ken
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM
ChuckW

Don't put to much stock in the advertised HP ratings on RC engines. You'll probably not see 16,000 RPM in real life. It's more about usable torque and what kind of prop they will turn. Ease of use and reliability are a huge factor as well. What good would it do if the Malibu could theoretically make the same power as the Vette but you couldn't get it to start half the time or it keeps stalling?

I'm not knocking the Tower engines, they are capable of running very, very well. Generally, it takes a lot more patience and work to get them that way though. At least in my experience.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
yetti831

I see, thanks. Next on list: O.S. 55AX and a 2.4 system.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
CustomPC

ORIGINAL: danny31292

My os's run great. 2 and 4 strokes. I run out of fuel more than I dead stick. I also always land with 1/4 of tank normally 1/2. How's that for reliability. I just want to try a webra 50. Lighter than the 46 ax and more power. I also want to try saito's. Lighter and more power ounce again. OS has reliability but they're are not as aggressive in lightening their engines as the other manufacturers.
I have a new Webra 50 here for that very same reason. From all reports they are as reliable as the OS's but they don't look as well finished externally. I'm not too brand loyal. I always research for the engine with the best characteristics to match the intended model. Most of the time i will lean towards the OS because they have always served me well, but on the occasions where i've needed less weight i have used Saito's and i'm now trying the Webra.

For those that don't already know, there's another AX coming. This time it's a .35AX. Look at http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/...35ax/index.htm
for details.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I have a 46 AX and a 55 AX. Both have given the best value for the money spent. Why spend twice the amount for a four-stroke when these engines offer the same power and reliability? They also sound nice, and are very quiet.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

I have to agree with the AX series. I have a .46 AX and a 1.20 AX. The .46 has never needed a starter box.
and I started the 1.20 for the first time yesterday, at full rich break in settings I primed it and back flipped
it twice and it fired. Even my 1.60 FX can be back flipped after priming on the first start of the day. The
OS may be a bit more price but in my opinion just for the ease of use it's worth it. I also have a
an OS.61 SF and a .91FX and all run and start great.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

It sounds like the general consensus is that the OS engines are definitely top quality, and they are, start easy, and they do, and break in very well, which they also do.

As for operating RPM is concerned, those numbers are so far off base, it's not funny. They are like gas mileage numbers you see on a new car. And, as the manufacturers say, for comparison use only. So, let's lie and everyone will swear by it, but expect much less in reality.

For the optimum prop on a given engine, that will give you the best performance in both accelleration, vertical power, and noise, well, the best RPM will usually be found by trial and error, but will never equal what they say it will be in the specs.

So, use those numbers "for comparison only" but experiment with props to give you the best performance based on your needs. And remember... noise does NOT equal power.

CGr.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: RCKen

It's kind of like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Corvette. Yeah, the Malibu is cheaper. But the Corvette is, well, a Vette!!!

Even if you take the difference in price they 55 AX blows the socks off of the Tower Hobby engine. Yes, you do pay a little bit for the OS name. But in this case you are paying more for WAY more engine. All of the new AX engines (55, 75, and 120) set new standards for engines that others will be scrambling to catch up to. I recently did a review on the 75 AX and all I can say is that this engine is a "Stump Puller". It's easily one of THE best engines I have ever owned. The 55 AX is in that same class. There really isn't much competition for it, IMHO.

Ken
That's not really a fair comparison though as you're looking at two different engines with different displacements.

A more fair comparison is the O.S. Ax .46 against the T.H. .46.

There is no doubt that the O.S. is a better machined, more refined and easier to get running out of the box engine...

But that said the two equate well in terms of power.

The T.H. actually edges the O.S. AX .46 out, until you transfer the T.H.'s muffler over in which case there seems to be no difference.

I love the AX .46, but replacing it with a T.H. .46 has resulted in no performance degredation, on the very same plane...

If anything the T.H.'s are also stump pullers and an excellent value for the price.

Yetti831: The T.H. WILL start running out of the box. One mistake I've seen made time and again, is people trying to tune the engine prematurely. Or their planes have fuel system problems which cause the newbie to attempt to correct this via tuning which just futher fouls things up. I've done the latter myself, now I know better so I can set these engines up in a few minutes.

It needs to be run as set at the factory ( or at the factory default/recommended settings ) for a tankful or two, and then tuned a bit with each succeeding tank full.

I've taken them ( and the GMS & SuperTigres, all made in the same factory ) out of a box, and flown them after the first tankful w/o problems, but with reduced performance until the 3rd of fourth tank...

Yes the O.S. doesn't need the same thing so it is MUCH easier for a newbie to get running...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
yetti831

The TH website says the engine is set at 1.5 turns out of the box. I'm not sure what to do at this point, because this engine will not run consistently.

Also, someone mentioned the pinch test for low speed at idle. I'm pinching at idle, but nothing is happening. I've pinched and held for ten seconds or more, which doens't suprise me, since the fuel consumption is low. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. Just wondering. Will the engine run with the tubes from the tanks hooked up incorrectly? Fuel to exhaust , exhaust to fuel. If I thought about this, I could probably answer the question myself. [:@]
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
opjose

We should really take this to PM's...

I've set up a bunch of T.H. engines so I've been through the wringer on all of the problems ( which tend to be user caused! ).

PM me if you wish to discuss...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Nathan King

What""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""s with all the """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'s!!??

Sorry, I couldn"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""t help it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.