Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CA residue on monocote

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CA residue on monocote

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA residue on monocote

My nephew got CA all over his monocote when gluing in the hinges, it ran like crazy on him. Is there anything used for removing the white residue it leaves behind without screwing up the monocote color. Looks like crap! At least he didn't glue his fingers to the plane

DG
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Kemosobie

Default RE: CA residue on monocote

I have done that and never could remove it. I hope someone has a good answer.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CA debonder applied to a paper towel and then rubbed on the Monokote will get it off. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-31-2008, 06:09 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used acetone to remove it. Keep it away from seem in the covering. Melts the glue real fast. I used a Q-tip to rub the Ca off the covering.

Besides getting the glue off the covering, try this method. Can you see it when it is in the air? If not, try not to worry about it. .

Dru.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Acetone Its a lot cheaper than getting it in debonder both work well and I also use folded paper towel and some friction helps it along. As advised above keep it away from the seems and this is nasty stuff make sure it done somewhere with total ventilation and I like to use at least one plastic glove to hold the paper towel.

John
Old 08-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Jester241

I swear by debonder.....just let it soak for awhile on the hardened glue,and reapply until you get it all. Be careful rubbing too hard though as it will usually put scuff marks on the monokote.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:36 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

debonder is acetone I believe. keep it away from seams in the covering. It will disolve the adhesive. wipe the glued areas with a swab or corner of a paper towel 2 or three times and the on the third or fourth rub the stuff off it should become soft and gummy. I once had to unglue a whole wing half after discovering a warp in my old building table.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Jester241

ORIGINAL: OzMo

debonder is acetone I believe. keep it away from seams in the covering. It will disolve the adhesive. wipe the glued areas with a swab or corner of a paper towel 2 or three times and the on the third or fourth rub the stuff off it should become soft and gummy. I once had to unglue a whole wing half after discovering a warp in my old building table.

I use an off brand of CA and debonder,and as far as this stuff I use the debonder is nothing like acetone at all. At least it doesnt smell like it or have the same consistancy. Not sure if the more common stuff is though.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

acetone on a cotton ball. Let a little acetone soak into the Ca for a bit. Then rub off. Might take a few tries before you get it all off.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acetone and toothpase mixed. Not my idea, but a method I heard about before. I would try it in a piece of scrap covering ironed on a scrap of balsa first. Most toothpaste has aluminua as an abresive. I used alumina for polishing gemstones. Next thing harder is diamond, so watch it on the soft MonoKote. A little dab will do you.

MEK is another agressive solevent. It is uesd as solevent to break down Epoxy. If you have a rock shop near by, pick up a can of "Attack". The stuff eats epoxy, even the industrual stuff. Should work well on CA as it and epoxy are desolved by similuar solevants.

All of this stuff is not good for you though, so follow the rules. Lots of ventlation and minimual skin contact. NO deep breaths either.

Don
Old 08-31-2008, 11:18 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Acetone. Keep ignition sources far away, the stuff is extremely flammable.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:21 AM
opjose

Acetone ( especially the Acetone toothpaste mix ) works very well... BUT... acetone evaporates VERY quickly.

If the CA is dried on, you'll want to soak a rag with Acetone, then lay it on the monokote, as stated, keeping away from the seams..

Keep wetting the rag to loosen the CA, then quickly apply the Acetone Toothpaste mix.

Rinse later and repeat until brightly polished and minty fresh!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks guys for the help, I'll go to the local hardward store and pick up a can of Acetone and go over to his house to see if we can get the job done. Sounds like it will take many applications. Thanks again! DG
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM
jaka

Hi!
OK guy's! Acetone will work...but not that good! Debonder isn't acetone...it's nitromethane and something else...and it works better than Acetone... Newly spilled CA glue is easy to remove with acetone but if it has dried for minutes or hours acetone will not work.
Best to use is Nitro. As I mix my own fuel I have lots of nitro at home and nitro is much better than both aceton or Debonder, and it doesn't affect any of the plastic film coverings.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jaka

CA glue is easy to remove with acetone but if it has dried for minutes or hours acetone will not work.
Not true.

It works just fine, provided the acetone is allowed to soak the CA using the "rag" method I described.

Nitro is not a great solvent for CA.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
jaka

Hi!
As I said ! acetone will not remove dried CA at once...neither will nitro . But! Nitro will remove dried Ca glue much faster than acetone. Acetone takes an awful long time to desolve Ca glue compared to nitro.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
opjose

As I said ! acetone will not remove dried CA at once...neither will nitro .
That's not what you said... you said acetone will not work.

But! Nitro will remove dried Ca glue much faster than acetone.
Acetone takes an awful long time to desolve Ca glue compared to nitro.
I disagree. I've tried both.

"Soaking" CA in Acetone does the best job and works rather quickly.

Usually the CA becomes putty like in 5-10 minutes of soaking, and then can be easily removed using the Acetone-toothpaste method.

They key is to keep the Acetone from evaporating.

Try it sometime. There is a vast difference using acetone this way, than say simply applying it with a cloth and wiping...