Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 AM
bassfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hi Ya'll, It's me again! Question, I just bought a used plane off of e-bay. It was advertised that shipping would be a flat rate of $35.00. Then this morning I get an e-mail from the seller that I owe him $24.00 more because the shipping was $58.00 because of the size of the package. I suggusted that he might want to check w/Greyhound to get a cheaper rate. I have mixed feelings on this. He advertised that shipping was a set flat rate, therefore he should honor this and he should absorb the loss not me. (He should have checked shipping cost prior to posting the ad.) Then on the other hand, I feel sorry for his mistake and maybe I should absorb the extra cost. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Thanks >>>-> Bill
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 AM
goirish

Default RE: What would you do?

I buy and sell alot on Ebay. When I sell I know what the cost of shipping is going to be. I don't know where it was shipped from and where you live but 58.00 is a stroker. Alot of times on ebay they jack the shipping cost up as opposed to the listing price. That way they don't have to pay ebay on the shipping cost. I don't think he made a mistake. Depends on how bad you want the product. If it were me, I would say no thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one reason I will NOT use Ebay. I don't trust many of the sellers, or buyers, for that matter. I've been stiffed a couple of times, and just will not let it happen again.

Caveat Emptor... let the buyer beware... carries a lot of weight as far as I am concerned, and with EBay, it comes especially true. In my case, I made the big mistake of sending the item to the buyer before getting paid for it.. trusting that the individual would pay for the item. Over a month later, and after several rather nasty corresponding Emails, and a mediator involved, he finally paid. He said he sent the check on three different occasions, but that was a complete lie. When I finally did get a check, I was unsure if it would even clear the bank.

So, I won't use Ebay and belive that it is a rip-off in waiting for anyone and everyone that uses it. I just don't trust them anymore.

I've dealt through the RCUniverse sellers and buyers area and have been totally satisfied with any and all transactions using that medium.. so, when it comes to RC, I will stick with RCUniverse.

CGr
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Witterings

Sorry bad practice, I'm going to advertise my Acromaster for sale for $1.00 now and postage $3.00 then when someone buys it go back and say sorry postage / shipping is now $1000.00 !!!!
Tell him to poke it as I think he's just trying to extract more money and he's out of order but also where's the cut off point what if he now said shipping was going to be $300.00, if you see something mispriced in a shop they have to honour and sell it to you at the price the label says and if it was a genuine mistake why should you have to pay for his, wish someone would pick up the tab for all of mine especially my crashes cause they've all been mistakes !!!!!
Oh and by the way don't forget to post poor feedback for him / report him to e-bay it's people like that that potentially ruin a good site !!!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Really you just have to play the hand you've been dealt. If it was a very difficult plane to find or if you got a screamin deal when the gavel hit you may end up just paying it to get the plane in your hands. If the deal was nothing great on a plane you can buy all day long on ebay then you can push him to pay. I might be inclined to offer to split the difference if I thought he was being honest.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
carrellh

I would cancel the deal. If a shipping price was quoted in the advertisement it should be honored. The seller should have done his homework.

If the model is so rare, and desirable, that you'd be willing to pay any price to get it... you have to decide
Old 09-05-2008, 07:54 AM
draftman1

flat rate is flat rate period. if you really want it that bad, I would split the diff, if he wont then tell him to stick it and report him to e-bay for not honoring shipping, check the fine print though, he might have it somewhere in the listing that you havnt seen about possible extra shipping
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Mr67Stang

This is complete BS bussiness practice. I would say I bid on your item based on your advertised "FLAT RATE" shipping plus my bid and do not wish to pay any more for the item. Please refund my money or ship my item as agreed to by the terms of the EBay user agreement and expect apropriate feedback.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM
manks

Advertised as flat rate shipping, that is what I would pay, not a penny more.

If he pushes I would back out of the deal - if he was not being honest with the shipping costs, I would be very concerned about his honesty with the product.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
bkdavy

I'd back out of the deal - period. No negotiation of the shipping costs. If he does ship it on the cheap, it probably won't arrive in very good condition. Further, there's no guarantee he'll pack it correctly in the first place.

Dishonesty at that stage is a dealbreaker. And don't forget the negative feedback. Warn others.

Brad
Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I have had to eat the shipping difference before, on ebay and here on RCU. It wasn't a huge difference but I did hold true to what I had advertised.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Adui

I use e-bay, and have sold on it as well.

The Seller is REQUIRED to honor his deal. He is trying to milk you and I would not stand for it. I would tell him politely, but clearly, that if he does not honor the deal as advertised you will report him to E-bay, AND give bad reviews. Simply put E-bay is set up to protect the buyer not the seller, and they will enforce there rules if you have to take it that far.

Of course you could just back out and give mixed reviews with a comment explaining what transpired.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Alex7403

Bassfish,
I would forward his email to ebay and without waiting for replay ask him to cancel the deal, if he cannot honor his price then maybe he shouldn't sell on ebay.
whats the point of having an auction if the price is going up when shipping???
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Tjettzky

I agree with above. I sell on Ebay and from time to time I underestimate the shipping costs and I end up having to eat it, since I posted a shipping cost. I have never once asked the buyer to pony up for the difference. I screwed up, my fault. This guy should take the same stance. I can see this approach if he is new to selling or ebay as a whole, but if he has been around for a while, he should know better. <edited for too many words in a sentance>
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If the auction stated that shipping was a flat rate of $35 and then he raised it by another $24 after the auction closed then you have no obligation to buy the item. The contract (when you won the auction you had a contract with him) was for a set shipping price. When that shipping price was raised by him he violated that contract and you are no longer obligated to pay. This type of activity can be considered "bait and switch" and is a federal offense when it crosses state lines (which is does on the internet). Now there is no way you will get the FBI to go after a "small fish" like this, but that doesn't mean that you can't inform this guy that his activities are illegal.

If I were in your shoes here is what I would. I would compose a message similar to this and send it to him:

"Dear <insert loser's name here>,
In regards to our recent Ebay transaction I would like to clear up an unfotunate misunderstanding over this trasnaction. Your ad clearly stated that they shipping rate for this item would be a flat fee of $35. I do not understand why you felt you needed to change the shipping rate by adding an additional $24 to that fee. As the additional shipping charge is not something that I agreed to pay at the time the auction closed I regret to inform you that I will be unable to purchase this item at this time. However, if you feel that you can honor the original agreed upon shipping price, flat fee of $35, I will be more than happy to complete this transaction with you. Please inform me as soon as possible as to which shipping charge you wish to asses here. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter."

Let us know what happens.

Ken
Old 09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
hungryandbroke

I sold a plane and advertised the shipping and handling would be $20. I took the plane to the post office and found out it cost $47 to ship it!

I had to eat the extra $27 since the deal was already done and he had sent me the money for the plane.

I'd tell the guy either send you the plane or you want your money back!

HE's the one that should learn by his mistakes...Not You!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
bassfish

Thank so much for all ya'lls advice. I requested that he refund my money (credit my Pay-Pal account) am waiting on his reply. Great Winds to Ya! [sm=shades_smile.gif] >>>-> Bill
Old 09-05-2008, 02:43 PM
hungryandbroke

It only takes 1 or 2 days to get a refund from a paypal account. All the guy has to do is go to his account and click on REFUND. If you don't get your money back soon give paypal a call and tell them the situation. They'll make Sure you get your money back.

PayPal won't tolerate the situation if the guy refuses to send you the plane or give you your money back!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:20 PM
flyfish28

[:'(] I purchased an O.S. 46 on ebay last year, it was not as advertised. E-Bay sucks. Listen to CG.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Witterings,
The laws in the UK may be different than in the States, but here at least, the store doesn't HAVE to honor a mis-marked price but many/most do. I agr with the rest of your post
Mike
Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Actually, Paypal won't do much for you. If you file a dispute, they will send emails to the seller who can then string them along all he wants. The only sure way to get your money back is to dispute the charge with your credit card company or bank. Beware though: Paypal will most certainly take that action as an act of dishonesty and nothing more. Both Ebay and Paypal are about watching their bottom line and doing the minimum effort to get by while accepting a few unhappy customers along the way.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:14 AM
flyfish28

"Whoa" Jester you are completely right on the EBay, PayPal thing. Your Credit Card Company is the only way to go!!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM
CGRetired

Exactly. Period. I avoid them both. Ebay did nothing to support me and actually left a negative comment in my record even AFTER it was proven that the character tried to stick me over that sale. Nope. I don't need it that bad nor do I need to sell something that bad. I would throw it out or give it away before playing that game again.

CGr.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Missileman

Wrong about Paypal not helping.
I went through it recently and after a period of unresolved dispute Paypal will refund your money.You may need to prove your claim. In your case the original listing showing the shipping fee and the email he sent asking for more. If he sent it through Ebay contact then better yet. DO NOT contact him directly, use Ebay's contact seller so you have documented proof through Ebay/Paypal of the whole situation.
I agree with everyone else. Flat rate is all you pay, as advertised or get a full refund.
I have sold on Ebay many times and often the shipping cost, to spite my best effort to calculate them accurately, end up higher that I quoted. In every case I ate the differenced and never thought of asking the buyer to chip in any more.To go a step farther, if the listing said flat rate by UPS ground it better come by UPS ground not Greyhound or something else.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 AM
flyingJ

I have sold a couple of items on Flea-bay and before posting had the item boxed and ready to ship. Then went to the UPS store and had them figure domestic shipping charges. Then added $5.00 to this to cover my time for the 2 trips to the shipping center.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.