Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RDS 8000 vs Futaba 7C

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RDS 8000 vs Futaba 7C

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
RAGII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RDS 8000 vs Futaba 7C

Hey guys,

Posting on behalf of a friend here. He is just getting into the hobby and will only do the sport type flying (and maybe some club combat if I can convince him) and is looking at 2.4. The RDS8000 has a deal with two receivers and the radio for $199.00, the 7C has a deal for $249.99 for the same. Since he is only going to be doing sport type flying, is there any benefit to spending an extra $50 for the Futaba or can this be used on the other field equipment requirements.

My thinking is go for the Airtronics, the receivers are less expensive, and lower cost is always a good thing.

While training, he is using a standard 4 channel radio that I am lending him, so the buddy box issue is not a big deal.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: RDS 8000 vs Futaba 7C

The advantages of the futaba are programmable switches (you can tell a switch what to do as opposed to a given factory setting), expo on the rudder ( no biggie) and a few small programming differences (does futaba have triple rates?) I have the airtronics and like it, but would rather have the futaba for the small extra features, although I guess I might be into a little more than just sport flying. Right now airtronics only has one type or receiver with more due out in may, but no talk of a micro receiver yet.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advantages of Futaba vs Airtronics? Which one is easier to buddy up to IE what does everyone at the field have?

If everyone at the field has Futaba, and you bought Airtronics then it would be hard to find a TX to buddy up to, where if you bought the Futata chances are that someone at the field also has a buddy cord.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
bonebreak

Everyone I know uses Futaba or JR. I have never even seen an Airtronics radio in person. I agree with the above statement. I would recommend whatever most at your field use. Not only will buddying up be easier, but most questions can be answered also. If I was asked how to use/do something with an Airtronics radio, I would have no idea. The Futaba 7C however, I would be able to answer almost any question.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Jetdesign

If I was asked how to use/do something with an Airtronics radio, I would have no idea.
You would figure it out, it's easy

If you are new and intend on being linked to an instructor, then yes, find out what is popular with the club. Airtronics for some reason is just not as popular, however the radios are really nice and really easy to use. I had a Futaba radio first, and Airtronics is just as easy, if not easier, to use.

Our club is up to 60 members. We are capable of training on Hitec, Futaba, and JR, and I think one of our instructors is looking at buying an Airtronics. I have one, so maybe another summer and we will have an instructor with an Airtronics.

If you are past using a buddy box, get whatever radio you like the most.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I own and use Futabas , both 72MHz and 2.4GHz, Hiteck 72MHz, Spectrum 2.4 and Airtronics RDS8000-FHSS and each has their good and bad points. For a new person just getting into RC, the Airtronics is a very good deal if you are wanting 2.4GHz units. As an EE IMHO both Futaba and Airtronics FHSS systems will be more reliable than the JR & Spectrum are but both are very good. Dollar for dollar IMHO the Airtronics is a better buy than the Futaba, especially if you want several receivers but you should be quite well satisfied with either choice. It is often in your favor to buy the brand most commonly used at your location as help is more available if you need it.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to program my 7C and transfer all the settings over from my 6ex. I really like the way the dials and switches work on it. If the airtronics doesn't have assignable switches, I personally wouldn't like that. I like to lay things out where they are comfortable to me.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Futaba 7CAF radio system on 72Mhz and was quite interested in the 7C FASST, but chose the RDS8000 instead. I can buy a pair of 94824 receivers from Tower for $67.50 each after discounts. The added cost of the Futaba receivers were a significant reason why I tried the Airtronics system.

The RDS8000 has been wonderful and I'm very glad I bought it. I've been flying it for just over a year now. The programming was very easy to pick up. Noboby was flying Airtronics at my club, either, but there are two other RDS8000 flyers now since I started showing mine off to folks.

Hobby People is taking orders for the 7-channel full range receiver at $69.99 retail right now. The web page detailing the new 10-channel Airtronics 2.4Ghz receiver says that it is only compatible with the new SD-10G radio system. The 8-channel and 7-channel receivers are supposed to be compatible with both transmitters from Airtronics, however.

The 7C FASST is an excellent radio with a good feature set. If you don't mind paying $20 to $30 extra per receiver, it's a solid choice.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Airtronics makes a really good product. I have been real happy with my RDS8000. I have two of them. I like the way it programs. All features for the channel are listed under the channel. So if you want to change the elevator end points, you scroll over to the elevator, then scroll down until you see EPA, then adjust until happy then make sure you check the epa for both sides. You can set the value for say up elevator up to 150% and the setting for down elevator can be set to 80% To pick up or down just move the stick. The arrow will change from pointing up or down.

All of my Airtronics have been good radios. I have over 500 hours on my RDS6000 and just under 500 on my other RDS6000. I am sure the RDS8000's will out last them.

Dru.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Mode One

I have used Airtronics equipment since the mid 1980s and am very happy with their products. Probably 90% of R/Cers use either Futaba or JR, leaving Hitec and Airtronics and whatever's left, taking up the last 10%. Does this make sense? Not from my point of view, given my experience with Airtronics! The guy described, is hooked up with a trainer and trainer set-up, therefore using what the members of the club use, doesn't hold weight.

Airtronics was slow to get to the 2.4 GHz table. They are there now, with more stuff coming. Much of the "Bells and Wistles" you guys talk about on the Futaba and JR radios is unnecessay complications (in my opinion) and I'm glad Airtronics left that "CRAP" off my Airtronics RDS8000 radio. If you need that stuff, then I guess you are stuck with JR and Futaba!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:52 AM
johnbolts

I'm trying to buddy up a 7c radio and a 6EX radio with no luck, neither way seems to work has anyone had any succes getting these 2 radios to work together?

TIA

bolts
Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started out with Airtronics, have their RD6000 and RD8000, both 72 MHz radios. I love them both. The do the job, and are perfect for a sport flyer The RD6000 is 6 channel and the RD8000 is 8 channel. The RDS8000, 2.4 GHz system is pretty much a copy of their RD8000 and is just great for sport flying also. It has all the capabilities that are needed and is easy to set up and program.

I also have a Spektrum DX6i and DX7 and both of those radios are just fine too. Which one do I prefer? Well, I use them both. I only have to remember to pull out the antenna on the 72 MHz radios (yeah, you guessed it.. I forgot and lost a plane [X(] [] ).

If I had a choice, I would go with the Airtronics RDS8000 and save the $50.00 for something else... perhaps pay for half of that handy dandy charger you wanted to get.

CGr.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

. I only have to remember to pull out the antenna on the 72 MHz radios (yeah, you guessed it.. I forgot and lost a plane [X(] [] ).

If I had a choice, I would go with the Airtronics RDS8000 and save the $50.00 for something else... perhaps pay for half of that handy dandy charger you wanted to get.

CGr.

YUP!!!! been there, done that, In fact just Sunday. I,at least found out what the range is with the antenna down. I was lucky it was a slow decent and only broke the prop. Flew last night, winds about 15-18, makes it interesting and keeps you on your toes. Didn't know I could hold my breath for 8 minutes.[sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Jetdesign

I just want to say that the more I use my Airtronics, the more I like it.

I was a little uncomfortable at first with where the switches were for each feature, but I'm definitely getting used to it. I was also thinking that assignable switches would be one more thing to mess up.

BOLTS: Yes, I have used that setup and had it working fine. I had the 6EX and was the student, my instructor had the 7c. We had no problems.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:09 PM
goirish

I also have the RDS8000 and it is very easy to program. Easier than my DX-7. BTW Joe, did you ace all of your finals?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Jetdesign

BTW Joe, did you ace all of your finals?
Argh, I'm procrastinating studying for my last one. Doing OK so far. Guess it's time to sign off
Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
cobrajocky

Hey guys, anyone making a fully compatible "after-market" spectrum receiver for with the Airtronics RDS or Futuba spectrum radios???

I use 72MHz radios, have been since my last HAM band died some 20+ years ago. I have many - 6 Hitecs and 3 Airtronics (2 Vanguard 6ch and a one year old RD8000, which I love to fly with) and one Futaba. I've also got a strong collection of 30 to 35 receivers from various major brands, mostly after-market brands that match either - or + or are auto-switching. ALL were very cheap in comparison to the VERY high cost of spectrum receivers.

And that is the crux of why I haven't switched to 2.4GHz, as much as I'd like to buy a RDS8000 - I have too many 72 RXes, they are dirt cheap even for high quality and 2.4 RXes are over-priced.

Are there any after-market spectrum receivers fully compatible with Airtronics or anyone of the major brand spectrum radios?

Will there ever be Corona, BlueBird, Hitec compatibles at near 72's prices? Till then, there is no prying my fingers from all my 72's.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Probably after the patent runs out or something like that.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Jetdesign

FYI: You can not independently adjust the throws of the ailerons if you're running dual aileron servos on the RDS-8000. I really can't understand why they would do this, but I got an email from Global Services confirming this.

How much that matters is totally up to you. For me, it's the straw that's breaking the camel's back. Had I known this I most likely wouldn't have bought the radio.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
cobrajocky

Well this has nothing to do with the question I posted.

FYI - I have a RD8000, which the RDS8000 is identical to in all the programming features, and guess what. I can and do "independently adjust the throws of the ailerons if you're running dual aileron servos". The differential for two independent aileron servos is set by percentage and has been on ALL Airtronics programmable radios, even the 6ch model!! The only flaw in the Airtronics RD and RDS models is no rudder dual rates!

So I have no idea what you are talking about or what you claim you heard. Do you even have a RD8000 or RDS8000 to speak from first person experience???

But lets get back the the original subject of the posting ... or don't bother to post (especially if you don't know first hand what you are talking about).
Old 06-30-2009, 09:44 PM
j5fanclub

hey webster,

your last post was obviously meant to be offensive. was it intentionally ignorant as well? you do realize this is not your thread, correct?

it looks as if gaRC was responding to the ORIGINAL poster's question - not yours. on top of that, you are so bold to ridicule him for not knowing what he's talking about, yet he's quoting an email from global services. YOU, don't even have the actual transmitter in question - gaRC does. it's fairly easy to decipher from the line: "Had I known this I most likely wouldn't have bought the radio."

now, to put all of this in to perspective for you, why don't you just cool your britches, pipe down and try not to hijack some else's thread.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: j5fanclub

hey webster,

your last post was obviously meant to be offensive. was it intentionally ignorant as well? you do realize this is not your thread, correct?

it looks as if gaRC was responding to the ORIGINAL poster's question - not yours. on top of that, you are so bold to ridicule him for not knowing what he's talking about, yet he's quoting an email from global services. YOU, don't even have the actual transmitter in question - gaRC does. it's fairly easy to decipher from the line: ''Had I known this I most likely wouldn't have bought the radio.''

now, to put all of this in to perspective for you, why don't you just cool your britches, pipe down and try not to hijack some else's thread.
Who the hell made YOU God?? YOU own the thread?? Are you the Thread Police deciding who does and doesn't get to post, or respond to incorrect information that gives others incorrect information?? I OWN that radio and certainly know how it works, which is MORE ACCURATE info than third party hear-say, supposedly read or told something, that is obviously incorrect!! YOU are the ignorant jerk.

And Ps buddy, gaRC's posting was AFTER MINE, so I was already IN the thread!

Just in case the moderators step in, YOU j5fanclub were the FIRST to be RUDE, Insolent and Flame. I'm just responding to you, because after 20 years in the AF, I don't let some little pip-squeak like you act like a 2-bit bully.