Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bolt on wing conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bolt on wing conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bolt on wing conversion

Anyone do a wing mount conversion on an Avistar 40, bolt on from the rube band wing mount, also I want to try this on my Hobbistar 60.
Thanks
TB

Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Bolt on wing conversion

It's a simple matter of making some mounts from 1/4 inch plywood and reinforcing them. Drill holes and put in the T nuts and you're done. The question though is why? The rubber bands protect your wings from bad landings, and they are just as secure as bolts if you use enough of them.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 AM
P-Y
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question though is why?
With the bolts you don't have to trim your plane each time.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
TedMo

Provide a plywood former in front of wing ld.ed.to drill hole for 1/4 inch ld.ed dowel. Securely glue (epoxy) rear bolt mounts. I prefer to use hardwood blocks on each side. Then using proper size drill. Drill holes for taping 1/4-20 nylon bolts for rear attachment.through wing and hardwood blocks. Tap hardwood blocks. Use some thin Ca on threads after taping then run tap thru again after ca hardens. Next enlarge holes in rear of wing to clear 1/4 inch bolts, good forever.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM
TonyBuilder

Do I need to modify the LE. of the wing, reinforce it, or do I just drill and glue in the dowels (two, one on each side of the wing, as opposed to just one in the center). I am pretty clear on the rear bolts and how to do that, my only concern is the LE. of the wing. It is a hassle to line up the wing every time and to trim it out, but the advantage of the wing breaking loose when I ditch her in the brush is also a good thing. So I will sleep on it and decide to either do it or leave it as is.
Thanks
TB

Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Converting a plane to wing bolts is more than just drilling holes through the wings and running screws through to the fuselage. If the bolt holes are put through simple balsa sheeting then the wing will pull off and fail the first time any load is placed on it. You will need to open the wing structure to ensure there is solid wood under where you want the bolt holes to go. If not, you'll need to create structure.

The same applies to the front of the wing. You will either have to add bolt holes (with the same cautions as above) or you will have to add dowels to go into the fuselage former. If you go with the wing dowels you will have to ensure that they extend back into the spar structure in some form or fashion. If not you will again have failure of the wing under load.

While it's not impossible to do, it must be done properly or you will wind up failing the wing.

I converted my Tower Trainer to wing bolts a long time ago. I went with 4 bolts, 2 forward and 2 rear, and had to get open the wing and create solid structure to put the bolts through. was it worth it?? not really. Was a lot of work to get it done. would have been easier to just keep using rubber bands.

Ken

Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: P-Y

The flip side of this for rubber band wing mounting is that it forces the student pilot to get into the practice of trimming the plane out, which is a good thing.

I say that because there is a couple of guys in our club that fly without touching the trim, then complain all the time that their plane does not fly right. In one case, I went over to watch, then asked him if he trimmed the plane. He said no so I asked him to give met he controls, I trimmed it up for him, and he was absolutely amazed that it flew "so much better"!!

A week later, he was back out, flying the same plane, and, again, it was way out of trim.. and he flew it that way until he crashed it on landing.

CGr.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: P-Y

The flip side of this for rubber band wing mounting is that it forces the student pilot to get into the practice of trimming the plane out, which is a good thing.

I say that because there is a couple of guys in our club that fly without touching the trim, then complain all the time that their plane does not fly right. In one case, I went over to watch, then asked him if he trimmed the plane. He said no so I asked him to give met he controls, I trimmed it up for him, and he was absolutely amazed that it flew "so much better"!!

A week later, he was back out, flying the same plane, and, again, it was way out of trim.. and he flew it that way until he crashed it on landing.

CGr.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Super_Chief

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Anyone do a wing mount conversion on an Avistar 40, bolt on from the rube band wing mount, also I want to try this on my Hobbistar 60.
Thanks
TB

http://www.masportaviator.com/fh_prifly.asp
http://www.masportaviator.com/va.asp...0%20Part%20One

Not sure this will go through but Sport Aviator has two articles on exactly what you are trying to do
Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the trimming issue on my trainer until I learned how to install the wing properly. If you will draw some lines with a permanent marker on the bottom of the wing and double check to make sure it's on straight every time you will have very little deviation from flight to flight. Take the time before each flight to make sure everything is right and you won't have trim problems in the air.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Bax

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had models with rubber-banded wings. Never had to re-trim each time. You just need to install the wing properly each time. If you build the wing saddle correctly, you'll have no problems. With an ARF, you should either make reference lines, or add small pieces of balsa to key the wing in the correct position.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM
fliers1

It's not so much having to trim the plane but it is a pain to have to put on and ouch!, take them off when you're through flying.

fliers1
Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
crossman

ORIGINAL: fliers1

It's not so much having to trim the plane but it is a pain to have to put on and ouch!, take them off when you're through flying.

fliers1

Ever try one of these?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRS89&P=7
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 PM
piper28

ORIGINAL: fliers1

fliers1
Heh, I just cut them off with the edge of an APC prop. Rubber bands are cheap enough that it's not worth storing the fuel soaked ones.