Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: .28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

PJ, I meant to ask, the Honda advert that is on the tv at the moment. Is that your car the guy is driving? The little red sports convertible.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:12 AM
mulletman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welll just the thread on the nut is wrecked the axle is intacted. I m just planing on buying the nut.(nothin to do with the cvd's or diff cups yet)
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Scouser

That is pretty lucky. It is a good idea to have a few of the M4 nuts spare anyway. They should be no more than a few dollars.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:02 AM
poor judgement

bloody hell scouser - uve got some eyes on u mate! ive only seen the ad a couple of times, tv bores me, but its either an S500 or S800 convertible - i think - either way its very, very similar to my 800, but mines the coupe. first there was the S360, then the S500, S600, and finally the S800, now of course we have the S2000. the numbers refer to the respective engine capacity in cc... the S800 is about equal in performance to a proper old mini 1275 cooper S, and just as unreliable...

honda history lesson over!

got a mint, untouched, 1990 CRX coming in the new year - cant wait! my current CRX is erm... a little rusty shall we say... but 90s hatches are the best - nice and light, loads of feel, cheap, and will fit in my tiny garage...

yes... im a rev head.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Scouser

I keep promising myself an old mini or Sunbeam Stilletto to 'fix up' but having a big 4x4, its amazing how vulnerable you feel in anything else. Maybe in the new year I will treat myself to a fixer upper!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 PM
poor judgement

with 50k on the clock, FSH and that big H on the bonnet - theres no fixin up to do mate, good for another 100k or so before thats needed

got a little bit of an update thingy - the 28 will pull a 17t pinion on a 43t spur... uh-oh, all i need now is for the bloody associated bells to turn up so i can run genesis 2 speed spurs, just like Rolland said all along... guess i under-estimated the motor a bit...[8D] well - it pulls those gears on the komodos on the beach at least. not so much wheel spin as the 11t... no really?... lol and makes use of 1st gears mid range instead of just going straight to 2nd gear

i have got to get a decent digi vid cam, my little digicam movies are way too poor to post im afraid, u cant see whats happening...

might have a go at the other chassis over the next few days, gonna follow Rollands advice this time and change it to a 1/8 buggy centre diff - for steel spurs and easier to sort brakes etc. anyone know what the smallest steel centre diff spur available is? somewhere around 43/44t should clear the chassis with a bit of luck/shimming...
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason that I suggested using a 1/8 scale center diff setup is because they are readily available and affordable on ebay and they are already setup for the proportional brakes.

You might be able to modify the FF's spurs to fit on the center diff. I believe that the center diff spurs have a larger center hole and 3 mounting holes. All of the ones that I have seen have been pretty simple.

I will look around and see what I can turn up.

rolland
Old 01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
poor judgement

cheers for that Rolland, sorry man, didnt see ur post.

well, the sooner i get a 1/8 centre diff in the .28 the better - i just wrecked the 2 speed for the 4th time... its too much for the cam type hub i reckon, it really slams into 2nd gear, and over time either the cam snaps or the pin it locates onto will fly out or snap. not sure whats gone this time, its jammed in both 1st and 2nd gear at the mo, spurs are solid but not straight, and the hub has moved forward on the shaft somehow...

absolutely no spare cash due to xmas/job change/new car etc etc, so its just gonna have to make do with a regular single speed for now.

i had to retune it a fair bit today from the snowy carb settings, took a while... turned out it was too rich on the lsn by quite a lot... once adjusted, i found a whole new load of power that i havent had out of it before (probs what killed the 2 speed so quickly) very hard not to flip it now whenever it gains traction for a second, so even more reason for the centre diff.

i will get it done one day... i promise...

on a better note tho, i had set the suspension harder and higher for some jumping practice on the wasteland near the beach - big grass banks and dirt trail stuff. gotta say on a couple of occassions i thought the landing would kill it... 6 foot looked impressive, 9-12 feet is downright scary! but it seems to have taken it all pretty well, with only a couple of hard, bad landings - who said these lil trucks cant take it?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Scouser

You got the JT chassis and buggy shocks on it? Not to mention the modified diff cups, Tmaxx axles and hubs, SH engine, and ARO shock towers. I think the ability to land 10 footers is testament to your engineering and ability to match better products to your truck rather than the FF being tough to start with!! How are the diffs? I am really surprised that they have been able to last this long with that big block on there.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:41 PM
poor judgement

cheers mate, but if its that good - why cant i stop it from breakin stuff?!?!? lol

turns out it was the bearing in the 2nd gear hub that collapsed/disintegrated... again. the hub is about to lose its pin for engaging 2nd too, and they arent cheap! bugger.

diffs are still fine - im impressed too, didnt expect this kind of life from em - hd crown and pinion gears on both, but even so...

pics/spam

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44616.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	385534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57014.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	385535  
Old 01-12-2006, 12:00 AM
rolland

I hear you about the cash shortage, the holiday's took a big chunk out of my account also.

A center diff would definetly help with the drivability. Running it as a single speed with a 15-17 tooth pinion will help also.

I am glad to hear that the shock towers are holding up, I haven't had a chance to really run any of my trucks for a month now because of the weather. With 25 days of rain so far it is going to take quite awhile for my bashing spots to dry out especially when even more rain is forcasted well into next week, so I don't even know when I will be able to run them.

rolland
Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
poor judgement

i was thinkin of a 15t pinion on the 43t spur, see how that goes. when i finally get the centre diff, im hoping for a 46t spur and run it on maybe a 13t pinion, 15 if it will take it - but thats all a little way off yet.

sorry to hear u cant get a playing session in man, balloon it up and have some fun!

shock towers are fine, perfectly straight still, no big crashes yet tho... getting better at drivin
Old 01-12-2006, 10:04 PM
rolland

It really isn't the rain that is the problem it is the 35-38 degrees F and 25mph winds that is the problem. I also work outside and on the weekends I am done being outside.

A 15/43 combo should soften out the bottom end and give you a good top speed. If it does take to much bottom end away try a 15/46 combo.

rolland
Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Scouser

If you need any 15tooth clutch bells mate, give me a shout. I have a few spare ones from the Savage that I could send your way.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 AM
poor judgement

thanks mate! [8D] could be a little while tho til i need em... something else is alive...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
poor judgement

craigb started it...

UPDATE! (woohoo)

engines running real bad... sometimes got some power, sometimes not... hard hot starting... compression is low... no sleeve or piston sets on ebay.

so what to do? pay retail price from the US for piston and sleeve? could do... but what is the price difference compared to a new motor? hmmm, decisions decisions.

anyone know of a sensibly priced place for SH engine bits by any chance?

(ps, S800 no change, but will live again very, very soon. as the CRX has just been to the bodyshop, and is close on being the best ive ever seen, and is very nearly finished... Next!. )
Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try emailing this guy from Ebay and see if he still carries them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/28-6-PORT-ProSpe...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-24-2006, 04:36 PM
poor judgement

aaah good old anthony...

i originally got the engine from him. both azzman and myself have had dealings with this fella, ill give him an email and see what he says.

cheers for that alvin.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:40 PM
craigb

craigb started it...
yeah blame me for bringing this 17page beast back from the pits of hell
wonder if you can get one of them tools that pinch the sleave? heard good things about them. might be worth a look
Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I've heard of guys pinching the sleeves with a wide hose clamp before, but I wouldn't imagine that it would work that great though. But if you are just tossing the sleeve anyway... Might be worth a go.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
craigb

I recon its worth a try mate if its really bad! but dont get sending me a paypal request for a new crank case if your conrod desides to make a new exhauset port out the bottom of the block
Old 05-25-2006, 12:55 PM
poor judgement

hmmm dunno yet, got some other stuff to be doing before i get back onto that...lets just let the thread sink back down... apols.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:10 PM
rolland

This thread will never go away.

I'd say pinch it or pull out the head shims to help regain compression.
If you need to replace it I would recomend the STS .28 it is allot cheaper (70.00uk on Ebay) than the SH and has allot more power.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STS-28-PullSta...QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://www.racernine.com/sts28.html

rolland
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 PM
poor judgement

cheers mate, i havent looked for a few days on ebay. cash is going elsewhere at the mo, but 70 quid for a pokey, throw away motor aint bad. for what its worth - ive seen the sh28 quoted as having 3.6 hp, i doubt it, but its certainly a big engine.

it cant die, that would just be wrong, its like an online service history of my truck (tbh im scared of craigbs more interesting thread being more popular than mine, but shhh)
Old 05-27-2006, 08:48 PM
craigb

Naaarr anyone can strap a air plane engine to a car and make it fly... oh ***** i meen go... that reminds me i better take the prop off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.