Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Genesis LE 500k diff oil problem

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Genesis LE 500k diff oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Hot Head6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis LE 500k diff oil problem

I had a problem with the truck pull to the right and left.I read everyone post about adding 500k diff oil to the center diff to fix the problem.It fix the problem it gos straight but it like its pulling a concrete block behind it on take off.It takes a little to get up to speed.Just wondering what could be the problem?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:43 PM
burningpoo

Default RE: Genesis LE 500k diff oil problem

I should be warm enough where you live maybe it's packed in to tight? I haven't been able to get my hands on 500k diff oil so i'm just taking a shot in the dark. Does it bog down or hickup? Your tune could be out.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Hot Head6

I dont think its a tuning problem it ran great with out it it was just uncontrollable.I was wondering if I got it in there to tight because I put some in to cover the gears let it settle a then filled it back up over the gears.How much should I put in.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 PM
burningpoo

I never fully fill anything like that. But i'm not really sure.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether or not you use 500k or open diff or locked diff will not have anything to do with whether or not it bogs, something changed from the time you tore it down and put it back together and I dont mean the diff. Something with your drivetrain or tune. Check to see that all components in your drivetrain spins freely. No brake binding ect.. if that checks out then your tune has changed. But I think your drive train is binding.

Good luck!!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 AM
derrick05

Sort of ran into the same thing with my NEMESIS.I had to much diff fluid packed in there,had to go back and take a little out.Check to make sure your brakes are working properly.I thought I had drivetrain trouble at one time,but for some reason my rear brakes were grabbing,even with the brake post in the neutral position.I took my entire NEMESIS apart and put it back together and have had no issues ever since.Does anyony know if it is okay to run only rear brakes?Been thinking of removing the front set,just not sure if thats okay with an unlocked center diff.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Hot Head6

I played with a little this moring checked to see that the drivetrain and brakes were free and they were.So I ran it to warm it up and it was running rich about 196 temp which is weird because before I added the oil it was running great I thought about 230 to 240 deg and it screaming(I thought).I started leaning it out and oh my this this really screams got it running about 225 degs and if I stay in the throttle it will flip over now.Is this temp go or can I lean it out some more?I just changed the center diff oil now what should I put in the front and rear diffs?now I have to do the check valve mod can I use a check vavle or should I use the ofna primer bulb check valve?I want to thank you guys for all the help!And TRD you are the man it just need tuning like you said hard to believe the way it was running before thanks alot
Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
The Real Dogman

Original By derrick05:
Does anyony know if it is okay to run only rear brakes?
Derrick, it is perfectly fine to run 1 set of brakes, when you lock the center diff. If you dont lock the center diff, which every end that does not have brakes will not have brakes, even with 500k fluid. I run 1 set of brakes on the front side of the tranny with locked Center and it will still do stoppies and flip if I'm not careful. I took 1 set of brakes out because the rear cam was rubbing on the external Shift clutch "Drum" and it left a small groove, so I figured that can't be good. And yes the truck is that heavy that it will literally twist the brakes right out of it, when you try to stop this beast too fast..lol

Original By Hot Head6:
got it running about 225 degs and if I stay in the throttle it will flip over now.Is this temp go or can I lean it out some more?
That is a good temp, in fact you CAN run it just a tick or two hotter. I typically, run right around 250-260. However I live in the Desert where the temps are up around 100-105 daily in the summer, so my suggestion to you is to consider performance when tuning for temp. In other words, if you are currently running good @ 225 and you lean it to say 245, and you are not really gaining performance then 225 is good!! No need to lean it any further and subject the engine to any undue heat when 225 works just as well. Now here's the kick, you may get better performance @ 225 than I will, even At 250, due to many things but mostly due to Elevation and Ambient Temps. So your tune will differ than mine so for me or anyone to tell you "Sure, Lean it out further" would not really do your truck any justice in performance. But I do know these engines will handle 250-260 but might not gain you any performance!!

Hope this helps Fellas

BTW thank you for your praises, Hot Head6
Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
derrick05

Can anybody answer about the brakes?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
derrick05

Thanks TRD.I guess what Im trying to get at is I only want to run rear brakes and my center diff is unlocked.Is that okay?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 PM
The Real Dogman

Sure you can, you just wont have front brakes. If the rear brakes hang up you will send more power to the front dif, thus front wheels. But sure you can do it!!

Good luck and have fun!!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 PM
derrick05

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Hot Head6

any advice on which oils to start with to run in the front and rear diffs?And can I use a check valve other than the ofna one or should I use the ofna one?
Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
The Real Dogman

oh sorry I did see those questions and just forgot them.

On, the Front and Rear diff juice, its going to depend on what type of driving you plan on doing. Racing or just bashing.. If your going to race, then I would defer you to the [link=http://www.cenracing.com/race/setup.html]CEN Racing's Download Section[/link] For the factory Drivers setups. But if you are just bashing Then styart out with 70k in the front and 50k in the rear. I realize that seems like very stiff juice but keep in mind that these enegine produce alot more power and will overcome lower viscosities very easily

On the Checkvalve, I have tested many. Maybe 2 dozen, but all seemed to have either to strong of a functioning pressure requirement or just plain could not hold pressure well. So, unless you can find one that works, I strongly suggest using the OFNA Valve..
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
burningpoo

I ran only rear brakes for a little while before I made a new lever for the front. If your running in a tight spot without alot of turning area you can get killer 180's for a turnaround if there set right...but it's the only way to stop fast then. Was alot of fun for the tank I ran like that, being that my friends driveway was rock, long and tight.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Scott_GTR

Hot Head6,

So you say you can wheelie with the 500 diff fluid???

Hmmm, I may try this then as I feel the locked diff is just a too tough on the drive train. [:@]

I have noticed what with my locked diff my truck does not like landing jumps were the wheel speed is
different to the ground, it sends a real jolt through the drive train. With the unlocked diff, each wheel
could decelerate on touch down separately with no jolt.

What I would really like is a half way house, and this 500, (or may be slightly less), may be the way to go.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Hot Head6

Scott GRT yea this thing will flip over if I stay on the throttle.with the diff oil I hold three wheels and one will still turn is this how the lock works or are they all spin together I dont have the center lock so Iam not sure if thats how it works but Iam very pleased with how well the oil worked.