Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

ORIGINAL: frequent flyer
Just finished the molds for the HI LO and on to the EXCEPTION tomorrow.
Excited to see the results Don!

Boy I am going through the gallons of resin and rolls of fiberglass cloth. It cost a bundle making all these molds! Need to sell a lot of kits to keep this going. It sure would help. So far the last two years of bringing back the Classics has been a non profit venture. Although dozens and dozens of kits have sold all the funds have gone right back into KEEPING THE CLASSICS ALIVE! It sure is a lot of fun and thanks to all of those that have sent in their kits so I could reproduce them. It is great to be able once again have available all these plane that I watched as a teenager but could never afford for myself.
Don, thanks for all your hard work and time invested in the resurrection of these beautiful classics. Your contributions are not short of exceptional! (seems like an appropriate word at the moment...)

David
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Hi Don,
I'll be shipping the Magic out very soon (hopefully today). As I told Steve, I included a copy of the MK plans which are correct and accurate. The wing incidence in the fuselage of the glass Magic is wrong by +1.5 degrees (by my measurement). There is a thread here regarding the glass Magic aka 'Tragic' and its deficiencies. Corrected (or built to the MK plans), it is a great flying airplane.
Regards,
Will
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM
remmulp
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

Great to hear that you've fiinished the mold for the Hi-Lo. Talked with George Hill yesterday and he is chomping at the bit to get one.

Mike P.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 PM
kr9x
My Feedback: (7)

Don

Did not get it done. Called in to work again. It will be next friday before I get another chance to mail it.

Jon W
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 AM
jnred123

Flywilly
1.5 degrees which way, I'm about 2/3 thirds through a glass Magic and have the wing fitted and faired ( bummer if I have to change it) and the stab glued in but not faired.
Do you know what the wing/stab relationship is supposed to be and maybe I change the stab and thrust to suit, I haven't measured anything just assumed the fus would be OK.
Cheers
Greg Hede
Australia
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM
flywilly

Hi Greg,
The leading edge of the wing needs to be 1.5 degrees lower than when fitted to the fuselage - meaning you will have a large gap to fill under the glass wing fillets at the leading edge, tapering back to the trailing edge. I posted a bunch of measurements on another thread here which I will try to find regarding the glass Magic versus the MK Magic.
-Will
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM
jnred123

Will
Thanks that would be great if you could dig up the differences.
Cheers
Greg
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
flywilly

Hi Greg,
First, I've seen (and competed against) the stock Hobby Barn Magic. The biggest problem it had was pitch coupling with the rudder (which could be mixed out with current radios).
Here is the list of differences I found comparing the Hobby Barn Fuselage to the MK plans:
1) Hobby Barn (HB) fuselage 3/8" shorter than MK
2) HB wing root at fuselage 1/4" longer than MK
3) MK Magic had +0.75 degrees positive incidence for both the Wing and stab - aligning the HB fuselage so the engine thrust line matched the MK plans and the stab centerline matched the MK plans then the HB wing leading edge is 3/16" higher (an additional 1.5 degrees positive incidence) than the MK wing LE.
4) HB stab root at fuselage side is 3/8" longer than MK
I do not know what HB called for as far as stab anhedral and wing dihedral, but the MK values are: Anhedral - 110mm; wing dihedral - 70mm
The excess positive incidence is the major culprit (if not the exclusive cause) of the rudder/pitch coupling.
I hope this helps. Post some photos!
Regards,
Will
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 AM
jnred123

Will
Great info thanks man.
I found an info sheet for my kit and it matches totally with your numbers of incidence +.75 degrees on both wing and stab, 70mm dihedral and 110mm anhedral and 1 degree downthrust but it looks like more than that.
The thing is I have seen pictures of the Hobby Barn fuse and mine is the same down to the wood parts all being in the same place but mine is actually branded FK and wait for it, is called a Phoenix.
I need to clear the bench and assemble it all and measure some stuff.
Just did a big incidence check on my 2 metre model with anhedral stab and it was a pain, if you dont get the incidence meter exactly parallel with the fuse centre line you get false readings big time, you never totally believe your readings.
Anyway I'll try to upload the info sheet and some pics of the model when I can figure out how to do it.
Really appreciate your input.
Cheers
Greg
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 AM
jnred123

Will
I think I just uploaded the info sheet that i was talking about.
Cheers
Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ay73882.pdf (3.84 MB, 96 views)
File Type: pdf
Up47219.pdf (1.86 MB, 75 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM
flywilly

Hi Greg,
Mutchler's Hobbies (in Indiana, USA) used to distribute pattern kits made by FK. They were direct copies of the Magic (Phoenix), Curare (Career), Arrow (Arcomaster), and 1 or 2 others which I can't remember at the moment. I don't know if they were using the Hobby Barn molds for the fuselages or if they were made by somebody else. If they used the Hobby Barn molds, then everything I said above regarding the glass Magic is true. If not, then the wing incidence in your Magic maybe correct. I think I have a digital image of the MK plans, if so, I will add them here.
-Will
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 AM
jnred123

Will
Thanks, here are some pictures of Magic/Tragic/Phoenix I'm working on, do you think it looks like the HB fuse?
Did you send Don a modified fuse to mold or will each one have to be done, actually you can see some of Dons fuses in the background.
I need to clean the freeking workshop and set up for measurement.
Cheers
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39245.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1751846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95852.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1751847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61271.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1751848  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
frequent flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Greg

Nice Magic build! More pictures.

Don
Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
frequent flyer

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Hi Don,
I'll be shipping the Magic out very soon (hopefully today). As I told Steve, I included a copy of the MK plans which are correct and accurate. The wing incidence in the fuselage of the glass Magic is wrong by +1.5 degrees (by my measurement). There is a thread here regarding the glass Magic aka 'Tragic' and its deficiencies. Corrected (or built to the MK plans), it is a great flying airplane.
Regards,
Will
Hi Will
Did you ship the Magic to Steve? I Emailed Steve and haven't heard from him. He emailed me once saying he was going to send the kit when he got it from you, but that was a while back. I was wondering what the status was with you and Steve.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Don!

Any progress on the Saturn and the Aurora belly pan? TIA??

FB
Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 AM
frequent flyer

I have two ahead of you. I will go as quick as possible. Just ordered another pallet of resin which should be delivered in a few days. In th mean time I'm finishing the Exception molds and the Beatle molds. Then your Saturn and Aurora cowl molds. Then I am doing the Tigertail III.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Free Bird

Thanks for the update Don! No real rush on my part, just wondering where it was in your queue. Ill be interested in the TT III!

FB
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have two ahead of you. I will go as quick as possible. Just ordered another pallet of resin which should be delivered in a few days. In th mean time I'm finishing the Exception molds and the Beatle molds. Then your Saturn and Aurora cowl molds. Then I am doing the Tigertail III.

The Beetle molds? Canopy and belly pan or fuse as well?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
frequent flyer

Hi David

It is the Miss Beetle ,
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
frequent flyer

Chris this is the GEE BEE R-2 When I'm done I'll make a mold so we can have fiberglass fuselages, cowls and the wheel pants with the skirts.

Name:	By76453.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1761392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11507.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1761393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94427.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1761394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88502.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1761395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22906.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1761396  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
frequent flyer

Exception mold in the works! David, I'll have yours ready in about four days.

Name:	Bz77774.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1761397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90660.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1761398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99152.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1761399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12461.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1761400  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
stuntflyr

Chris this is the GEE BEE R-2 When I'm done I'll make a mold so we can have fiberglass fuselages, cowls and the wheel pants with the skirts.
That is so awesome. My wife loves Gee Bee's, I'll have to have one.
Chris...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Chris, you need to check out the E-Flite Micro Gee Bee. we raced them at the Bakersfield contest. What a blast!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
stuntflyr

Hi Tony,
I wish I'd have been able to come to that contest, it did sound great.
I saw the model fly at the AMA Convention indoors! Awesome ship.
Chris...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM
frequent flyer

I've finished the Exception mold and on the third fuselage layup today

Name:	Hf99350.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1763098  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.