Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern Flying Forum Structure

Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pattern Flying Forum Structure

The “Classic Pattern” forum has been in operation for quite a few years now and I think it has grown faster and larger than any of us could have predicted when we started. I’m still amazed! I’ve even noticed that most often in the last year or so that there is more activity here than there is in the “Contemporary Pattern” forum. It seems to me that now would be a great time to restructure the layout of the RCU forum menus so that the “Contemporary Pattern”, “Classic Pattern” and “Electric Pattern” have the same ranking.

I propose that the structure be changed so the main link be “Pattern Flying” then “Contemporary Pattern”, “Classic Pattern” and “Electric Pattern” each having separate links rather than the current arrangement of the “Classic Pattern” and “Electric Pattern” being sub forums. This layout provides independence for each forum and more forum functions, like polls, etc.

Here is an example of how it was done in the “Pylon Universe” section. When you click “Pylon Universe” you get this listing http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_323/tt.htm

What do you all think? I would have made this a poll but our forum does not have that feature.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 PM
dhal22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pattern Flying Forum Structure

great idea. i thought the classic pattern has been far more active for several years (2-3).
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

I’ll second that!!

Your proposed structure makes sense to me.

Giving “Classic Pattern” its own real forum is just what we need, isn’t it guys?

To me this proposed format will show us as a stronger group.

Please respond here guys and help 8178 get this done.

It will just help “The Classic Pattern Movement” as I like to refer to it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Great idea 8178!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Your on the MONEY! Let's do it.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I say leave it as it is. It's easier for me to navigate to the Classic and electric forums the way that it is. Besides, pattern is pattern.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

I don't see how you can say that when there are so many different divisions already. Think about it.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Ryan Smith

I for one like to look at the classic forums, but wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Keep all of the pattern related discussions in the same area, just don't intermingle them. It's fine the way it is. I can spend five minutes catching up here, or spend 25 minutes searching the entire site. My day only has 24 hours, and I like to minimize wasted time as much as possible. The split from the normal pattern forum was great, as I got tired of hearing some people say that modern pattern is garbage, and how much better classic stuff was/is. I have an interest in classic pattern, but I'm an AMA pattern flyer.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 PM
alcarafa

Good idea, I back it up
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

I don’t think you’ll have any problems navigating, that’s not the issue.

Pattern is pattern, Huh, I don’t think so. If it was, this forum wouldn’t be here.

Interesting, you’re an AMA pattern Pilot, and what do you think all the guys that flew these planes were? I think they were AMA pattern Pilots Too!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Ryan Smith

You're exactly right, Paul. They WERE AMA pilots.

If this isn't pattern, then change the name and don't include pattern in the title. I'm pretty sure that you're judged on how round your loops are, and how well your rolls are centered, regardless of which discpline you persue. There definitely isn't a scale requirement for either. Furthermore, the airplanes that are popular here are quite legal still in modern pattern, though their degree of competitiveness would vary. That seems to be pattern to me. As I said, I'm interested in classic pattern, I've even got a project airplane that midly qualifies (T2A MKIV). I'm not poo-pooing classic pattern at all, I just enjoy the three pattern forums being grouped together.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

I don't understand the debate.

Isn't Mike simply proposing that ALL pattern have the same ranking? Having a "Pattern" category with sub-forums if I understand correctly.

I'm for equal ranking but I don't really understand what advantage this would bring to classic and electric (other than polls) or, for that matter, what disadvantage that would bring to people like Ryan who spend more time in the "contemporary" forum.

If I'm interested in a forum, I simply have a link to it - there's no navigation issue. In fact, I don't even ever use the links because my browser just opens up the RCU pages I'm interested in automatically.

I've never dug particularly deep but what I think would be useful is a directory of all the thread contained within a particular forum. Something that can be sorted alphabetically or chronologically (this part already exists) - on a single page. Let it be miles long - that doesn't bother me. Basically a forum index. Maybe this exists but I believe that as it stands you have to move forward page by page to navigate things - THIS is time consuming as one has to wait for each page to load. Of course, I'm aware of the search function.

David.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Ryan Smith

David,

I agree what what you are saying. I thought that the original post was intended to essentially scatter the forums about. A pattern forum, with subforums of equally ranked sub-forums is fine with me. I just like having all three in the same place. Many times I will log on to RCU from a computer that's not mine, and it's quicker to just go to one place rather than three.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 PM
doxilia

Ryan,

I think everyone's on the same page in that case. Check the structure for the Pylon area that Mike posted.

I think the object here is to provide equal ranking and further functionality to classic and electric (although I'm not sure what that is).

David.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Ryan Smith

Notes to self.

1. Read first.
2. Understand text read.
3. Formulate thoughtful, relevant response.

Sorry for needlessly upping my post count, guys. Proceed.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 AM
gkaraolides

Good idea... but... in, say, fifteen years' time when, for example, the Azurit and Osmose are classics, will old threads in the "Contemporary Pattern" forum be automatically moved to the "Classic Pattern" forum?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:28 AM
doxilia

In 2030:

Classic will be called Vintage - the Dawn of R/C Aerobatic Days, Contemporary will be called Classic - The Days of Glow and Electric Power and Contemporary will be called Pattern - Precision Flying & Nanotechnology Thrust Vectoring...

Sadly, we probably will no longer have props.

David.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Perhaps there should be restrictions on what type of computer you have to peruse the Classic Pattern forums. . .
Pentium 4 or earlier processor, Max 40 Gig Hard Drive, 28.8 Kbs or slower modem, 256MB RAM . . .
NO optical mouses, only the kind with the little ball and plastic rollers that accumulate crud and work erratically. . .
NO wireless keyboards . .
NO flat screen monitors. . .

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Pattern is pattern, Huh, I don’t think so. If it was, this forum wouldn’t be here.

Interesting, you’re an AMA pattern Pilot, and what do you think all the guys that flew these planes were? I think they were AMA pattern Pilots Too!!!

pitstop000/Paul, only information to be complete.

We are not all AMA patern Pilots, see the picture.
Maybe there are even more FAI pilots, just as I was.

Cees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69803.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1382289  
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

pitstop000/Paul, only information to be complete.

We are not all AMA patern Pilots, see the picture.
Maybe there are even more FAI pilots, just as I was.

Cees

objection your honor! argumentative!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m suggesting that the menu structure be changed so it looks like the Pylon forum. It also improves the ability for new RCU folks to find the forum they are looking for.

It would be helpful if we could collect as many comments as possible so the RCU management knows we want this improvement.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
hrrcflyer

I like the idea as well. I say, lets do it.

David
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

look around

s.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 PM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: 8178

I’m suggesting that the menu structure be changed so it looks like the Pylon forum. It also improves the ability for new RCU folks to find the forum they are looking for.

It would be helpful if we could collect as many comments as possible so the RCU management knows we want this improvement.
This cuts through to the point. I am in.

-Robert
Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Ditto, I say just do it!
hhok

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.