Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS 7D carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS 7D carb

ORIGINAL: dhal22

i was about to leave it on a ASP 1.08 that i am going to put on the big auction site. i don't even know where i got the engine. it came with 2 carbs so i will keep the 7D and sell the engine with the original ASP carb.

David,

Look if the insert is still in the barrel, if not here is the pump.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9727496

The Hanno you can store beside the Kraft.

dhal22, 3/4/2010 8:40 AM (Rendegade knows)!
. by now you know who i was directing the comment towards. just poking fun at the situation.

Cees
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 AM
aris1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David good morning,
I have been using a lot of OS7d carbs for the last 30 years and the only words I can send to OS are CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE SUPERB WORK!!!!!For your information this is the carb that made OS number one in the world for reliability and easy tuning.A friend of mine had a super tiger s3000 engine, and every flight was a nightmare (engine fail).I gave him a 7D , and until today the s3000 never had an engine failure.You will see that it is very easy to tune.Best regards.
Aris
Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: doxilia

ORIGINAL: billtulsa

7D, simple carb to adjust, runs excelent.

Someone from outside the US always trying to tell us why their ideas are better.
Bill,

remember, this is RC Universe. And good ideas are also often universal. Unfortunately, this may not have been the case in this instance.

Furthermore, most good engines as far as I know are either Asian or European - a few exceptional engines are American but others are mediocre.

David.

David, this is also a good place to come when you've been banned from radio control websites in your own country.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

My contribution always IS related with the subject.
Normally it is clear after a few posts because most of you do not understand the details, in this case glow engines, in the first place
When you do not want my contribution, simple give a sign.
An example is the Top Flite Taurus thread of Free Bird, other people did ask if I already did post, after all I stop my input, no problem.

In this case I think there is no more information I can give, only one simple rule: do not remove an insert of a carb when you do not have a pump or Cline, Iron B or Jim Walker regiulator .
If there must be an insert check if it is still there when you buy second hand.
This information has nearly nothing to do with the brand.

Cees.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 AM
dhal22

what is clear is that most of us don't understand your posts due to the language difficulties. your broken english is hard to understand.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: dhal22

what is clear is that most of us don't understand your posts due to the language difficulties. your broken english is hard to understand.

David,
We can read in the article (Ed Kazmirski, 1962):

Our Mr K Goes to Africa

Since you meet men dedicated to the same hobby and yet oceans may separate them, but the R/C language is the same and the exchange of thoughts most rampant in the ensuing “bull sessionsâ€

Also:

Pronunciation and enunciation drew some comical statements, and laughs emanated as we compared pronunciations; such as the word solder which these men would pronounce as so-l-d-er , actually enunciation each letter.
Since the R/C individuals are of British and Dutch decent …..

We also have to communicate with German and France people that makes it all a little different for us and is for me a reason to use pictures.
You also did start this thread with:

Can anyone educate me on an OS 7D carb? It seems unusual. Thanks.

My first thought was "unusual?" than I start with basic education!

Cees
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 AM
dhal22

original post edited
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Yo, I need a high speed needle for a 7D carb. Do you have one to sell me? Or maybe you know some one that does. Thanks...
Mike

[email protected]
Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I bought an old OS .61FSR engine from a fellow member of the other site, RC Groups. He advertised it as a good running OS FP. I informed him in an open forum that I thought the engine was an FSR and not an FP as he had posted a pretty good picture. But I bought it anyway because he assured me it was a good running engine. It arrived with no rear bearing, no drive washer, the top of the piston damaged from someone grabbing it with a pair of pliers or some other tool and distorting the top of the ring groove, the ring was seized in the groove, head bolts were missing, and various parts were missing from the carb (a 7D). But this was a good running engine. RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I have always wanted a .61FSR, so I decided to make a project of this engine. I bought a bearing set from Boca, a ring from Frank Bowman, a drive washer and woodruff key from My Atomic (not listed for a .61 FSR but Igambled that any OS drive washer with a 5/16 hole in it and woodruff key with a blunt end would work, and they did), and now I have the information I need for the carb parts that were missing. I installed the new bearings and ring in the engine and took some head bolts from an old FP engine. Then I received the drive washer and woodruff key and installed them. The engine fired up almost immediately, but runs poorly, probably due to not being able to adust the low speed valve on the carb. I have now ordered the pieces of the carb that were missing, thanks to the information in this thread, I still need a carb barrel insert as this carb arrived sans the insert, but Tower does not list the insert. Does anyone have one lying around or know where I can get one? It will run without it, I'm confident, but probably run better with one in it. I am determined to get this thing running right and have spent more money on missing/damaged pieces than I paid for the engine. Once you start on a project like this, where do you quit? If I stop, all the money I have spent will be thrown away. The really ironic part of all this is that the seller informed me that he had removed a couple of my responses from the thread as they were misleading. I MISLEAD SOMEONE? The only response I had ever made was to inform him that I thought the engine was an FSR, not an FP. In RCG, the original poster in the classifds can remove any response he feels like removing. AT any rate, I look forward to receiving the carb pieces and getting this thing together and I fully expect it to run well. As mentioned earlier, I still would like to have an insert for the barrel of this carb as well as a muffler for it. The muffler is an OS 744 of which there are two versions. One version fits the FP and has threaded ears on the mounting flange. The version for ths FSR does not have the threaded ears on the flange and the holes are closer together and are not threaded. Anyone have one he would like to sell?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Why not try the want ads on RCU and RCG instead of the forum? You'll get more of an audience.

I also enjoy the tuning on the 7D carb and have put it in other engines to give them OS tuning quality such as my ST3000 on my Ultra Hots.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Taurus Flyer

JollyPopper
If you were my neighbor I would make you a new barrel, do you know a mechanical engineer with a lathe?
Also making an new insert isn’t difficult.
If you have questions, give me a pm.

Cees
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Roguedog

Jollypopper;

Three solutions for you.

First, you can buy a piece of brass tubing slightly larger than the barrel of the carb rotor drill a hole for the venturi cut a slot verticlly along the length of the tube than cut off the portion with the hole. Next for a press fit widen the slot until it fits into the carb rotor.

Second goto to Tower Hobbies and buy the carb insert for the 9B carbhttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=OSMG3627You will have to modifiy this one as well to get it to fitin the barrel of the carb rotor.
or
You can buy a perry pump which would work without the carb inserts. Since you're determined to get it running, invest in tuned pipe and header for it as well.

Bryan

Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

RG and Roguedog, thank you both. Between the two of you I got the information and part numbers I needed to order the parts I need for this carb, all of which Tower had in stock. For those of you who bash Tower, I called the original order in around noon today. About 3:30 I got back in this thread and found the info Roguedog had on the insert for the 9B carb, which I understand I will have to modify slightly for the 7D but it looks doable. Tower (Melissa) said the original order was in the warehouse and could not be changed but she could make a separate order for the insert and waive the shipping charges. You can't be any friendlier than that. So now I have the low speed valve assembly, throttle control link, o'ring for the throat of the carb, and the barrel insert for the 9B on the way. This puppy will run. Thanks to all of you guys and Tower.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

the 7h carb uses the same needle as the 7D, and tower has them
Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

[img][/img]
The above photos show the following:
7D (1.08) 7D (61FSR) 7DV (61VF)
7G (61VR) 7F (61VF) 7M (61VF)

I believe this represents all the variations that appeared on the OS series of the 61FSR/VF/VR engines. The 7L carb first appeared on the OS 61FSR Special Edition (ringed or ABC) and resulted in the final modification of the 7D to the 7M carburetor.

I have one of the first production OS 61VF engines sold here and the 7D carb body that it has is clearly smaller than the subsequent versions of the 7D; so OS must have decided to enlarge the carb body casting, but this is the only difference as all other part numbers are the same.

Just some additional information.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71655.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	1441168   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60245.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	1441169  
Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 PM
dhal22

nice collection.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
flywilly

Here's some photos of the 7L and 7M carbs side by side. Also a photo of the variations of the 7D needle. The 7D and 7H carbs NIP. 2 of the 7 four-legged residents at my house.
These carbs all have homes (engines), but it is much harder to see the carb when it is attached to the engine.
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

The last photo is a slightly better version of the first photo.

Name:	db84738.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	1441797   Click image for larger version

Name:	om32151.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	1441798   Click image for larger version

Name:	ig13844.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	1441799   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk25671.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	1441800   Click image for larger version

Name:	qo39661.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	1441801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65844.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1441802  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Pa-18cub150

I have an OS 61 FSR with a 7D carb no insert, and no pump Runs great but I am only getting about 8 minutes of flight time with a 16 oz tank. (Full throttle) Is this about right?

What is needed to make the 9b carb insert work?

Thanks for the instruction sheets and information.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Johnkpap

Yes 8 mins would be about right

Remember More Power = More Fuel !!!

I have a Old OS 60 Vintage goldhead in a Jensen Ugly stick it Sucks 16oz of fuel in about 12 Mins Flat out !!! It is not all that powerfull an engine but has enough for the Ugly Stick , older engines are also less Efficent

Also Using a Tuned pipe will also use more Fuel same thing More Power = More Fuel

Putting the restrictor in the carb will just reduce the power, It would be simpler to trim the throttle on the radio so you have a bit less than full power this
would acheve the same result and if you want you could set a switch on most computer radios to override the trim for extra POWER

If the engine is running nice leave the 7D alone.

Johnkpap
Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
flywilly

I'm running an OS 61VF, 12x8 apc prop, Hatori 605 pipe and a 10 ounce tank in an MK Silent 90. I can get about 8 minutes maximum flight time, but that is flying a turnaround schedule and not WOT. More fuel does not always equal more power. My YS 60FRs would use slightly (~1 oz) more fuel than my OS 61VFs with the stock (with insert) carb (same prop and fuel) yet the YS would SIGNIFICANTLY out pull the OS. I think you're probably wasting fuel - is the engine piped or muffled? How much exhaust residue is on the airplane after a flight?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have have many NIB OS61SF's, all ringed. All have the 7L. I think one of the used SF's mounted in a plane, has a 7D. That engine was NIB also. Would that 7D have came with the engine, or could it have been switched? It run's fine. I also have a VGC 7M, and forget where I got it. Can anyone give me the low-down on this "M" model?

David, thanks for starting this thread.

Vince

Name:	Us53789.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1452235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77226.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1452236  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 PM
dhal22

the m version has three needles, the 3rd is a midrange adjustment, or at least that's what i learned when i posted the same question. there should be a thread on it in this forum.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: Pa-18cub150

I have an OS 61 FSR with a 7D carb no insert, and no pump Runs great but I am only getting

adopt 8 minutes flight time with a 16 oz tank. (Full throttle) Is this about right?

I would imagine that if your running the engine without the insert that you would have to increase the amount of fuel delivered to the engine due to the increase in airflow to keep it from running lean. According to the 7D - 7DV manual OS suggests that you use some type of pump with the small diameter insert removed.

I suspect that the engine is not running efficiently as it should, soI concur with flywilly thatit's possible that your just wasting fuel, Measure the diameter of the carb rotor. It might have the 7DV carb rotor installed in a 7D carb body. If it's the DV rotor it's diameter is aready 8.5mm and you won't need he inserts anyway. Another issue is the type of fuel you're using. If your using 20% nitro you'll useway more fuel than say 5 or 10%. Post a pic of the carb.

ORIGINAL: Pa-18cub150
What is needed to make the 9b carb insert work?

You would need to grind down the gap where the insert comes together inside the rotor andyou would need to make sure that the two holes allow the mixture control valve to passthrough.

I have not tried this but you could possibly use one of the carb inserts OS has for the carengines. In this case it inserts into the top of the carb. Would be way simpler if they fit.

Bryan

Name:	qo39769.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	785.6 KB
ID:	1452244   Click image for larger version

Name:	yu63470.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	867.1 KB
ID:	1452245  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: crankpin

I have have many NIB OS61SF's, all ringed. All have the 7L. I think one of the used SF's mounted in a plane, has a 7D. That engine was NIB also. Would that 7D have came with the engine, or could it have been switched? It run's fine. I also have a VGC 7M, and forget where I got it. Can anyone give me the low-down on this "M" model?

David, thanks for starting this thread.

Vince
crankpin,

This is really interesting, according tothe 7M manual this carb was developed for FAI F3A contest flying.

Name:	jh16476.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1452249  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Db86175.pdf (1.03 MB, 66 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Pa-18cub150

Muffled not piped. I was thinking the same thing about wasted fuel as this is a dripping mess even when leaned out with good transition and idle. Oil pours out of the muffler after every flight!

This is the largest 2 stoke I have so my thought was more power more mess. I have mostly 4 strokes.

I am using Omega 15%

my battery is DOA in my calipers, but the boar is smaller than a 9mm Luger bullet and larger than a 8mm Mauser bullet.

Name:	yw68007.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	1452281   Click image for larger version

Name:	up48720.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	1452282  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.