Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 06:50 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
How are they connected? I don't see a training cable?

So how is it that I haven't been anywhere, my kids haven't been anywhere, yet I have what I believe may be a cold? It is probably just my body getting tired of being cooped up in a musty basement for over 6 months. Been having sinus issues for several weeks now, especially at night, as soon as I lay down one of both close up and I have to use nasal spray in order to breathe. Now I have phlegm in my chest, and wind up coughing half the day. By noon I'm ok, but feel worn out from the coughing and sinus pressure. I would like to get back to the office, but they mandate a mask at all times, and there is no way I could do that without having a full blown panic attack. Just 5 minutes with a mask and I am sweating and short of breath.
My wife and I have the runny nose/Phlegm problem also, I used a Neti pot last year to rinse my sinus to great effect so I am about to do it again, I think it is the change in climate causing the problem. I am truly impressed with the Neti pot useage the more I use it the better I feel. I got the Idea from DR. OZ show.

The newer radios (last two or three year) don't need cable connectors for buddy box just press a button or two to link up. cool eh?

Last edited by donnyman; 09-29-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
How are they connected? I don't see a training cable?

Spektrum radios, probably wireless trainer function. Pretty cool, you don't even have to hit or hold a switch, just move a stick and take over
Old 09-29-2020, 06:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Thank you Donny! When they did my roof last year they added new decking over the 1X8 original decking then new high performance underlayment and self sealing membrane in some areas. I compared a piece of the old 3 tab shingles to the new shingles, the new stuff is at least twice as thick. Oklahoma and Texas both get a lot of hail and heavy winds so the heavier shingles are a necessity. My homeowners insurance has a rider on it to cover required upgrades and since I used an insurance company preferred contractor all deductibles were waved saving us a lot.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:01 AM
donnyman

Flyer
I sometimes think we are connected at the hip with all the similarities in our lives!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Flyer
I sometimes think we are connected at the hip with all the similarities in our lives!
I think so too sometimes! I think if we had grown up together we could have been best friends.

Oh, how about some good news for a change? My son called up this weekend and puts our grandson Dylan on (he is a third grader this year). Dylan was all excited it seems Saturday he got to fly in a Cessna 182 and the pilot let him take the controls for a few seconds! He was on cloud nine.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 AM
donnyman

when ever I flew (way back when) I made it my business to look for kids staring through the fence at the airport there was no way I'd leave a kid on the ground when I had a open seat. Once the bird was trimmed for level flight I let the kid take over, I had more fun than the kids. Too bad I find private flight boring.
bisco (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

I wonder how many of those kids followed you into aviation? I'll bet some did and some will carry the memory for life.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Sounds like you could be reacting to some mold in the basement, can you setup something upstairs and away from the basement to see if it clears up?
That is a definite on the mold. I don't have a room upstairs that I can set up my desk in. My house could use a fire sale. The mold is at the other end of the house, and only when the floor gets wet in my shop does it start to bother me. If my wireless reached out to my trailer i would just set up in there to work, but in a way glad that it can't because it would add wear and tear to it which I don't want in it's first year. A really big dumpster might help though, throw a lot of accumulated stuff we will never use out and then bleach the walls and floor.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over time. The wife and I cleaned out a lot last year. The only stuff we are accumulating now is stuff to finish airplanes and I think we both know who is doing that.

Say have any of you guys ever used an old pot for a WWI cowling? My Sopwith Baby short kit came with a pot for the cowling and I'm trying to figure out the best way to cut it down. I magnet won't stick to it so I,m guessing its not steel just some cheap metal with a rolled edge.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:12 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If a magnet wont stick it is either stainless or aluminum. Rough cut with a hack saw and finish the edge with the dremel sander maybe? Could also use those metal cutting disks for the dremel, just make sure to use eye protection.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

My main concern is cutting it straight, I'm a little challenged in that area. I wonder how expensive a machine shop would be?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bisco
that's the panicked look on my face the whole time i'm flying what airplane is he training on?
He was flying my "We Can Fly" 4 channel foamy electric powered trainer. He is still a bit unsteady but getting better.

Spektrum transmitters my DX9 ( Mode 2,) club's DX5e (Mode 1) linked wirelessly.

bisco (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

no masks or social distancing?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

no masks or social distancing?
Social distancing is one metre in France when in the open air. Masks are not compulsory in the open air either.
bisco (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:59 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well now, I don’t feel so bad about that tire. I took it to the tire shop. The repairman put it on his tire machine. Low and behold, the bead would not break. He finally had to hit it a few times with a sledge hammer to get that bead to pop. It was the tightest bead I’ve come across.

The tire was for my trailer. The trailer was loaded with scrap metal. I had to go sell the metal to clear off my trailer. So today I will go pick up some lumber to start the barn roof repair.

I’m almost finished with the foamy build. I just need to add the electronics then wait for a good day to maiden. It was a fun build.

When I was an EAA member I flew kids in the Young Eagles Program. I also help Boy Scouts earning the Aviation Merit Badge. It sure was fun. Good memories.

bisco (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

You shouldn't have to worry about prop damage if you lawn dart it with that design!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:03 AM
donnyman

Letting kids fly with me did influence some into the aviation field and most had little to no knowledge of the possibilities the field of aviation offered, especially the girls, they were of the mind planes were for men until I introduced them to female pilots. the field was completely foreign to them. all the the kids with me got to actually fly the plane under my direction at a good altitude for as much time as it took to reach the next way point with hands on during the landing which really shook up some of them, letting the kids fly was some of my best memories, now teaching kids with models wasn't as much fun and few returned to fly models again, I think model flying requires too much hand eye coordination and intimidated many.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Do you find the girls seemed to pick up R/C quicker than the boys?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:07 AM
bisco

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Well now, I don’t feel so bad about that tire. I took it to the tire shop. The repairman put it on his tire machine. Low and behold, the bead would not break. He finally had to hit it a few times with a sledge hammer to get that bead to pop. It was the tightest bead I’ve come across.

The tire was for my trailer. The trailer was loaded with scrap metal. I had to go sell the metal to clear off my trailer. So today I will go pick up some lumber to start the barn roof repair.

I’m almost finished with the foamy build. I just need to add the electronics then wait for a good day to maiden. It was a fun build.

When I was an EAA member I flew kids in the Young Eagles Program. I also help Boy Scouts earning the Aviation Merit Badge. It sure was fun. Good memories.

nice looking plane! is that kit, plans or scratch?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:02 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know your question was directed toward Donny, but I can share my experience. After I retired as an engineer, I did light airplane flight instruction for about 15 years. Mostly I did "insurance checkouts" for people who had purchased a vintage tailwheel airplane but didn't have the background to enable them to get insurance. But every once in a while I would take on a student from scratch. Students vary in aptitude, but male versus female didn't seem to predict aptitude. The most able student I ever had was a high school girl. All I had to do was show her something once or twice and she could do it. My only problem with her was that she would show up for a lesson without having done her reading assignments. On the other extreme, I had a couple of different men who wouldn't have gotten the hang of it if they took lessons for the rest of their lives.

Dick
Old 10-01-2020, 04:50 AM
ETpilot

nice looking plane! is that kit, plans or scratch?

Thanks. It is the EZFLY model in RCG foamy forum. Scratch built, I increased the size a little bit. Looking to maiden fly soon. It will be my first foamy flight.

EZFLY
bisco (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 05:22 AM
bisco

i think i might try building that this winter
Old 10-01-2020, 08:41 AM
donnyman

Every time!

otrcman
Ya got that right!

While teaching two guys to fly a old beat up Midwest Kadet that had been set up with all the controls totally backward (i corrected them) -- I convinced one of the guys wife to try the controls, it took only a few minutes for her to figure out the controls then flew the tank empty with very little input from me, I landed and that's when she commenced to wear out her husband and friend. It was a very funny situation because she had been harrased by them that women can't fly I laughed till I cried, she was just a better pilot than them and didn't hesitate to say so.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:06 PM
FlyerInOKC

Oh, I wish I could have seen that! LOL! My wife has turned me down everytime I try to get her to go flying with me. She got her pilot's license back in college and my little planes don't interest her. I suspect she could fly the pants off me.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 10-01-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:28 PM
ETpilot

i think i might try building that this winter
It was a fun build. Keep in mind, if you build one, that this plane builds tail heavy. I enlarged the plan, moved the wing back a bit and lengthen the nose. It still builds tail heavy but finding the CG may have been easier. I’m putting the radio gear in now.

Today was a beautiful cool day. Great day to work. I got the worst of my barn repair done. My idea for a T post support would not work. So I made a jack stand for a bottle jack to lift the roof structure. I tired out with the top plate board so it is held by the weight of the roof structure. Will nail it tomorrow. The rest of the repairs will be easy. Just takes some time to finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.