Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have 70’s here today 5mph winds already had 6 flights. 2 on 3s 2200 and 4 on 4s 2200 50c. It’s amazing me how much better the Habu 50mm ss flies on 4s power. Can slow fly or crank it up hear it scream by. I did move rudder and elevator to their middle settings to give more lift. So far so good the F16 4s arrives today will be patiently waiting unfortunately it’s only a hand toss no landing gear but for $100 can’t complain. Everyone be safe have a great day
Bill
Old 11-17-2023, 10:20 AM

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
They are predicting a middle of the road winter, but the weather around here is known for surprises.
This is why New Mexico is called "The Land of Enchantment". If you don't like the weather, wait 4 days. We've even had motorcycling weather in January at these high elevations between cold spells.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome temps here today in the 70’s again but she’s blowing a good 20mph no way I’m taking a chance flying. Stinks the new F16 arrived yesterday threw a AR630 in it removed ORX safe system and actually threw in a 4s 2200 just to check CG a little nose heavy but I can work it further back if need be. Hogged out the center think a found a beautiful home for the receiver

Old 11-18-2023, 06:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Second flight of The Seagull Boomerang Trainer.

Second flight of The Seagull Boomerang Trainer at South Derry MFC. 11th of November 2023. Pilot was Aidan McAtamney. Cameraman was Mathew Logue.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

What a lovely field. Locally we have to repair damage caused by feral hogs on a weekly basis.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:50 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by shortround91
Awesome temps here today in the 70’s again but she’s blowing a good 20mph no way I’m taking a chance flying.
You don't know what you are missing! I had a friend who loved to fly his little GP ARF (i think it was a little yellow Mini Funtana) in 20 mph winds. He couldn't make any headway but he would do low level rolls and actually grab the wing before killing the power to the motor to recover it. We have a lot of wind in Oklahoma, I soloed a LT-40 in a 20 mph wind back in 2004 when I got back in the hobby.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody :-)
Old timer here, coming back into hobby after about 15 years out.
Starting to build Balsa USA 1/4 scale Piper Cub (will be few mods) and in the spring will get me one of the 75" wingspan 3D ones.
Saying hello from New Jersey US
Old 11-18-2023, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mgnostic
What a lovely field. Locally we have to repair damage caused by feral hogs on a weekly basis.
Many thanks Matt for your kind comments.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:41 PM

Default The World Models Super Frontier Senior prior to its maiden flight.

The World Models Super Frontier Senior pictured here in my garden prior to its maiden flight at the Shttps://youtu.be/rexp0epWaLIeven Towers Model Flying Club. Pilot was Aidan McAtamney. Cameraman was Bob Wells.

Last edited by easystar123; 11-18-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by arb6591
Hello everybody :-)
Old timer here, coming back into hobby after about 15 years out.
Starting to build Balsa USA 1/4 scale Piper Cub (will be few mods) and in the spring will get me one of the 75" wingspan 3D ones.
Saying hello from New Jersey US
Welcome! Hard to beat a Cub! I have a 1/5th scale SIG on the airplane rack in my garage. I took a little hiatus myself between 1981 and 2003, I came back in 2004. Sometimes life gets in the way. I'm planning to retire in about another year. Wife got the idea of remodeling the garage a bit to hold all my R/C stuff and get it to where I can build year round.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:08 PM

Welcome! Hard to beat a Cub! I have a 1/5th scale SIG on the airplane rack in my garage. I took a little hiatus myself between 1981 and 2003, I came back in 2004. Sometimes life gets in the way. I'm planning to retire in about another year. Wife got the idea of remodeling the garage a bit to hold all my R/C stuff and get it to where I can build year round.
Yes, I hear you :-)
I might be forced to retire in 2024, will be 67 so old and a good paycheck.... they do not need ones like me, lol.
Remodeling the garage sounds great, good luck with that, you need a place to build.
I will be building in my friend's house, wife and me are in the apartment.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:13 PM

I have been building on a piece of drywall on an old card table since 2004, I'm ready for a permanent place. I'll be 66 this April.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Turned 62 at the beginning of November.
If the house was paid off, my wife worked at a job where she had her own health insurance, and I had several hundred thousand dollars in my 401K plan, I would seriously consider early retirement.
But it's not, she doesn't, and I don't. So, like the Seven Dwarfs, it's off to work I go!
Old 11-18-2023, 03:23 PM

I have been building on a piece of drywall on an old card table since 2004, I'm ready for a permanent place. I'll be 66 this April.
Yes, you deserve a nice place. WE all do :-)
Keep the remodeling progress posted.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Turned 62 at the beginning of November.
If the house was paid off, my wife worked at a job where she had her own health insurance, and I had several hundred thousand dollars in my 401K plan, I would seriously consider early retirement.
But it's not, she doesn't, and I don't. So, like the Seven Dwarfs, it's off to work I go!
I hear you :-)
My wife does not have insurance as she can not work (back problems) so when I retire we need to buy her insurance, my plan B and supplemental... these money, never enough.
I will work as long as they let me and then start collecting and find some part time job. :-)
Old 11-19-2023, 07:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

You don't know what you are missing! I had a friend who loved to fly his little GP ARF (i think it was a little yellow Mini Funtana) in 20 mph winds. He couldn't make any headway but he would do low level rolls and actually grab the wing before killing the power to the motor to recover it. We have a lot of wind in Oklahoma, I soloed a LT-40 in a 20 mph wind back in 2004 when I got back in the hobby.
When I learned to fly, the local club guys (Weatherford, Oklahoma) told me to use half as much dihedral and the biggest recommended engine on my trainer as a way of coping with the wind. Flying on less than perfect days was the nicest thing about getting to the place where I had more than one airplane. Some airplanes get to play in the wind, but the floaters come out on calm days.
Old 11-19-2023, 03:47 PM

Matt, I totally agree with you!
Old 11-21-2023, 06:55 AM

Default The Piper Cherokee

Flying the Great Planes Cherokee powered with an ASP Fourstroke Engine. Pilot was Aidan McAtamney. Cameraman was Mathew Logue
Old 11-25-2023, 11:09 PM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts
Default If at first you don't succeed...

Last year I was asked to recommend a suitable vintage model for the club which could be used as an ab initio trainer. I suggested a Radio Queen because that was what I had used in the past to give nervous elderly beginners their first taste of radio controlled flight. The Radio Queen and the Flair Hooligan pictured below with my much younger self, remain the only two models I regret selling. There is a good story behind the reason why I am holding the foliage in my right hand but that's for another occasion.

Two Radio Queens were subsequently built. The red and yellow one was built by Francois who is amongst the best builders in the club and the red and white one by my Belgian protegé Frans Cooremans. It turns out that I have been trying to teach Frans how to fly for three years. I must be doing something wrong! On the other hand he builds well, the Radio Queen being only his second build.

Both models were fitted with electric motors which were the equivalent of those recommended for the Radio Queen by a well known British supplier of electric flight components. Both models proved to be massively overpowered indeed, Francois' model took off flew a shakey circuit and glided in to land never to fly again! There was also muttering about the centre of gravity being too far to the rear. So it was back to square one.

With Frans's model the first thing we did was to replace the Pro-Tronik 2830/660 with an AXI 2820/10, because that was all that I had sculling about! Having fitted a 12 x 6 prop and a huge 3S LiPo, we then tested the model's centre of gravity which turned out to be nose heavy. Nevertheless I flew it last Wednesday.

The Axi provided plenty of power but not so much as to make the flight unpleasant. However, I found that the rudder was not very effective and the model frequently floundered about the sky with me using full rudder to get it to turn. Now the rudder on the Radio Queen is pretty small but my old i/c powered Radio Queen, pictured below with my much younger self, did not display this characteristic.

Having landed the model we fitted a 2200 3S LiPo in order to bring the balance point further to the rear. This resulted in improved performance but I was still not happy with the model's turning characteristics nor with the plastic clevises on the rudder's closed loop.

Yesterday morning we retired to my workshop where we were able to fit metal clevises. We weighed the model and tested the motor's power. We tried a variety of props and most of them produced just over 400 watts. On my old fashioned kitchen scales the model weighed about 5lbs or 2.2kgs so we were getting 80 watts per lb or 177 watts per kg if my arithmetic is correct.

There remained the problem of the rudder response. The cables were on the furthest hole of the servo output arm and on the second hole of the rudder horns so not much scope for adjustment there. Thoughts of building a bigger rudder were dispelled when I realised that it was 2023 and not 1973! I could adjust the rudder throw by increasing the travel of the servo on the transmitter, a Spektrum DX9.

Having adjusted the travel from 100% to 150% we retired to the flying field. The model was transformed! It took off fairly quickly and climbed well but throttling back produced a model which cruised about the sky and was very pleasant to fly. Just like my old i/c powered version.

After five minutes I bought it into land out of respect for the small LiPo. We will try a 3300 LiPo placed further back in order to get longer flight times.

I have attached a brief video of Fran's Radio Queen and my Super 60 in flight before we made all of the alterations. What you don't see is me pushing and pulling on the controls! Please make alowances for Frans's first language not being English.

I regret that I haven't been able to add pictures to this post. Don't know why!
Old 11-26-2023, 11:11 AM

Hind sight is always 20/20!
Old 11-26-2023, 11:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Electric flight is so complicated isn't it? It would have been much easier to shove a 25 two-stroke or 40 four-stroke into it without having to go through all of the mathematics!

I'm still unable to add pictures. I go advanced and get something called "Current Attachments" not "Manage Attachments" as in the past and nothing happens if I click on it.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:44 AM

When you are in Advance is the paperclip still in the banner? That is how I add pictures.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:34 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I take it that the banner is that section at the top with includes links to other websites. I do not have a banner. I have absolutely nothing. I reported the problem to RC Groups yesterday. We'll see what transpires.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:35 AM

It's the banner below the message title field when in advance mode of Reply to Thread. See below.

Old 11-30-2023, 12:55 AM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

Ah I appear to have the banner back but I don't have the paper clip, instead I have the mountain range beside it! Nevertheless, here are the dramatis personae of my Post 11869.
  1. Francois' red and yellow Radio Queen which he has now donated to the club. My dog Tiko is seen photo bombing the picture top left!
  2. Frans' red and white Radio Queen in my immaculately tidy workshop.
  3. Two pictures of my old silk covered Radio Queen powered by an OS 52 Surpass. It is one of two models which I regret selling. The other was the Flair Hooligan which you can also see in one of the pictures. If anyone has a sound spare cylinder head for an OS 52 FS Surpass I'd be interested in buying it.

Incidentally, the Radio Queen was the first model aircraft to cross the English Channel between England and France: https://www.airplanesandrockets.com/magazines/model-airplane-news/channel-hop-model-airplane-news-january-1955.htm.

Francois' Radio Queen.

Frans' Radio Queen.

My much younger self with Radio Queen and SLEC T240. The 240 has the same wings and stabiliser as an early Senior Telemaster and the kit is still available from SLEC for £360 Sterling.

Radio Queen with Flair Hooligan. There's a good story as to why I am holding some foliage in my hand

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 11-30-2023 at 04:03 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.