Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 09:11 AM

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Joe It seems you and I are in the same boat, the first three lines of your text could have been written by me. It is all the same I guess but I will keep on keeping on.

I bought a lot of electric stuff also but really never understood how to put it all together for one reason or another, If all my stuff wasn't on the second floor maybe some modeling would get done around here.
collecting model plans is as close as I get to aviation lately believe me I got lots of plans. The various methods of construction is interesting and I try to use as many of them as I can remember. there are some very ingenious modellers out there and I am one not to re-invent the wheel

Old 02-11-2024, 10:04 AM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

I've had an excellent day gentlemen.

I was invited to a public lunch in the next village, Lourdouiex St Michelle, not to be confused with the other next village of Lourdouiex St Pierre! As we were eating our dessert we were entertained by a traditional folk dance group and their musicians all in traditional dress. I would post a picture but I haven't got the buttons today.

At 18.00, having reached home and it still being light I took the dog for a walk in the fields opposite my house. On the return leg I heard the unmistakeable sound of the Common European Crane flying northwards towards their breeding grounds in Scandanavia and Northern Russia. Since moving to France in 2015 I've frequently seen them in large groups flying south every October but I rarely see them flying north again. They must take a different route dependent upon the weather conditions, but there were at least a hundred birds in the first flock followed by a similar number following on behind.

These birds aren't dumb gentlemen, Spring cannot be too far away!
The following users liked this post:
Clean (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:28 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

Cool!
Old 02-11-2024, 01:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Wow Joe! I can't wrap my head around 800 kits and 100 engines! You got more than the distributors use to stock back in the day. I got 10 kits and close to the same in short kits, if I live to be 80 I might finish them all. Still there are a few airplanes I wish I could find but doubt I will.
Mike
Ah, when you've been in the hobby and started young, not middle aged, you end up with a bunch of stuff in the corners you didn't realize you had. It usually sneaks in when the wife isn't looking and one day you bump into that corner and try to remember when you bought this. Get old enough, there ain't no WAY you remember buying it.

That's when its Christmas come early. Though I've had times where I don't know When or WHY I bought this.

We moved 9 years ago and I was pulling kits out of the rafters and in the corners and under my bench. I gave some to a couple friends that were in aspects (sailplane kits etc) and gave a bunch to my home RC and CL clubs for raffles. Some of them still had the stickers from whatever year raffle I won it from, so I guess my cries of RIGGED were really unjust.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:58 PM

Well if you find a Fournier RD4 kit you want to part with let me know!
Old 02-12-2024, 01:01 AM

Aha! I have the buttons back so herewith a picture of the folk troupe I mentioned in Post 12077. They travelled over from Le Blanc which is about 43 miles or 68 kilometres away.

It's interesting that you mention the Fournier RD4 Mike because that's the model chosen as my club's build! So far the tail surfaces and fuselage are just about finished but construction seems to have stalled. It will be covered in brown paper.

We are staging an exhibition in a local village hall over the weekend 2nd-3rd March and we have invited all of the neighbouring clubs to exhibit. I'll take some pictures.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:51 AM

Another picture of yesterday's event.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:20 AM

Looks like a good time was had by all!
Telemaster Sales UK (02-12-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 11:51 AM

Ah! Finally got the buttons again!

I have a Belgian friend called Frans. He is a novice builder and pilot and on my recommendation he's built a Radio Queen, a vintage model with a wingspan of over two metres. The intention was to have a model which would virtually fly itself and give him plenty of stick time thus improving his confidence before he moved on to something more demanding. I think I've told you about the trouble I've been having trying to get the Radio Queen to fly nicely. Frans being exclusively an electric motor enthusiast, we fitted a motor of the equivalent power to that recommended by a well-known British supplier of electric flight components. It was far too powerful for the model which made it unpleasant to fly. If you advanced the throttle a smidge, it would climb very rapidly indeed. Frans could hardly manage it at all.

After having experimented with props, cg position and another motor which fell apart on the runway, I eventually took the bull by the horns, weighed the model at 4.8lbs (2.2kgs) and chose an electric motor which produced only 320 watts on a 10 x7 prop. This gave a power of 67 watts per lb (147 watts per kilo). The motor looked tiny compared with those we had previously used so we took it to the flying field yesterday afternoon. I advanced the throttle and the model rolled backwards! Frans swapped two cables on the motor and we were good to go. The model rolled along the runway, took off and flew beautifully.

So there we have it gentlemen, do not over-power your vintage models. The motor, a Roxxy C28-34-08 (1120kv) produces 285 watts on a 10x5 propeller which I'm sure will power the model adequately. So all's well that ends well!

Pictures of my old i/c powered Radio Queen with my much younger self and Frans' electric powered version below.

PS. The Radio Queen was the first model aircraft to cross the English Channel between England and France in September 1955. Although it had a wingspan of over two metres, it was powered by a 3.5 cc diesel engine. Having studied the plan, I observed that the engine bearers are spaced for an ED 2.5cc diesel engine!

Nuff said!.

mgnostic (02-14-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:12 PM

She looks like a floater, I'll bet she is a joy to fly too!
Old 02-15-2024, 12:40 AM

I saw a brand new un-run OS 61 SF engine on French EBay last night. The minimum bid was 115€, about Ł98 Sterling or $123 US, so I bid 115€ on it. Someone bid 116€!

Grrr...!! I've two models which would suit it including a Wolfgang Matt Supra Star. Admittedly that's still in its kit box waiting to come to the top of the pile!

No buttons today so can't post any pictures.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

We call those last second bidders snipers. When I was an seller back in the late 90's,early 2000's I loved them. It was always a thrill to see if the bid went up in the time between the closing time and the time it took for the page to refresh on my computer. As you can attest, if you are buying they are a PIA . It's probably been 15 years since I sold anything and nearly a decade since I bought anything on eBay.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mgnostic
We call those last second bidders snipers. When I was an seller back in the late 90's,early 2000's I loved them. It was always a thrill to see if the bid went up in the time between the closing time and the time it took for the page to refresh on my computer. As you can attest, if you are buying they are a PIA . It's probably been 15 years since I sold anything and nearly a decade since I bought anything on eBay.
Never mind. I've bid Ł75 on a similar one on eBay UK.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:49 AM

At least the one in the UK is cheaper.
David John Davis (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:07 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

At least the one in the UK is cheaper.
...and another expatriate Englishman has got in touch with me stating that he has a brand new ASP 61, box, papers the lot which he's prepared to sell me if I don't win the OS.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:37 AM

Buy the ASP any way!
Old 02-16-2024, 06:22 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greetings fellow old timers

Seems funny to say that.....but I'm 68 now, and I guess that puts me in the category. I started modeling in the mid to late 60's. Went through the usual free flight, control line, R/C progression.....learning all by trial and error. Although I finally started accumulating some knowledgeable help and mentors in the control line and early R/C stages. I got my first radio at 15....a two channel OS (yes, they made radios!). Luckily, I missed the reed era. Did a lot of building and flying during my teens....and ended up leaving home in Northeastern NC and moving to Iowa to work at Sig for a couple of years. What a learning experience working with Claude McCullough, Maxey Hester, Mike Gretz etc. Eventually moved back to NC...it was too cold for a southern boy out there. Eventually started flying competitive pattern and scale, and did pretty well for a small town NC self taught modeler. Won a couple of Mr. Top Gun titles at Frank Tianos event in FL and several Nats wins as well. I can honestly say that a lot of kind people spent a lot of their time and shared a lot of their knowledge in helping me achieve those triumphs, and I wouldn't have been there without them. Modelers are the greatest people, and it pains me to see our numbers dwindling so. I have two grandsons now....and one on the way. You can bet they will be exposed to building and flying models.

Jeff
mgnostic (02-16-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 11:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Buy the ASP any way!
I've been outbid on the OS. I'll ask my countryman how much he wants for the ASP.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:47 PM

I figured that since the buttons were up, I'd try and upload a photo. I don't have one of my Volantex T-28 that I've succesfully put on my Taranis thanks to the Irange module in the back. But I haven't had much chance to fly that since I put it there thanks to the winds persistant desire to be around 16 mph or more when I can get to the front yard. It's pretty fun to fly. And, though I've put a picture up of my planes moving from the bedroom/office to downstairs so I could paint my room I must have done that from my phone, and it's not impressive. Neither is the 360 of my room with scantly more then my desk and my cat in it. Was going to paint one side of the room then scoot everything over to the other side, ended up pushing it to the center. Then realized the old outlets and covers being Ivory instead of white made the bright, just a touch of blue white that we painted with look, dingy. So I changed those outlets. It was all well till when I through the breaker my ceiling fan and a plugin above my lower plugin didn't work. All the other plugins worked. Pulled the plugins, then the switch. Switch didn't look right THEN I realized there was a grounding lug on my switch. There wasn't on the original. Woulda been pretty neat to touch a ground with the outside of the switch, thought it was tingly. So, rewiring the switch in what we'll call The Right Way and throwing the breaker again everything was working. Except for me. Who put all these outlets so close to the ground and WHY haven't I been doing any leg and pelvis stretches so that I could sit crosslegged for about 5 minutes without becoming crippled for a day? BUT, the forum attachments bar is up with the buttons SO here's a compilation of my SPAD UltraSpadStick taking off, dropping and the results of a flour bomb about this time last year.
flour bomb run SPAD UltraSpadStick
In two weeks, I get rid of my carpet and get flooring in my two upstairs bedrooms, one of which is my office/bedroom and her office. I get a two week brake between my flooring and her flooring. Lotta stuff to move out of her office and still some things in mine BUT I have a gun safe, she doesn't so hers will be easier though I think I'm just moving her stuff out, putting the safe in there along with this substantial desk I brought from the job before last, in her room while my flooring goes in. Till then, airplane building is postponed. So I hope to fly the little T-28 some.
Well, lets see if this posts.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:48 PM

Thats cool but the buttons are now gone again.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:58 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Learning to fly

I never knew this photo existed until a friend gave it to me two weeks ago. I t was taken in the summer of 1986 and i was learning to fly a Yamamoto Trainer with an OS 40 two stroke. That was nearly 40 years ago. Time flys by very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20240219_151837.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2273895  
Old 02-20-2024, 04:03 AM

Default My new plane

Second flight of my new plane The Avistar Elite. Im very pleased with this plane. Its well put together and the covering is sublime. What more could a man ask for.

bisco (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 06:04 AM

Both neat pictures/videos however, do you still have buttons?
Old 02-20-2024, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Clean
Both neat pictures/videos however, do you still have buttons?
Buttons ????
Old 02-20-2024, 10:32 AM

I've had a bit of a mixed day.

Took the dog for a walk across the fields and she set up three deer. She chased after them at best speed but they were too fast for her.

Then the postman arrived when I was in the shower. He was delivering the vinyl for the Barons which I had ordered from Pyramid Models. I had to pay an extra 11€. Thanks Brexit!

I had arranged for my protegé Frans to pick me up at 10.00 before we went to the flying field to fly his Radio Queen. He's at the stage of doing his own take offs and landings but he's a bit brutal on the controls and tends to hold in a signal for too long. He managed two successful take offs and one landing though the take offs were not straight down the runway. On the third take-off he froze on the controls and the model smashed into a small metal hut which we use to store outside chairs. I did not have the time to regain control at that altitude. The model is repairable but it was a good job that we were the only people there, because this is where non-flying pilots tend to sit and watch the rest of us making fools of ourselves. Maybe he'd be better off with a four-channel model and/or a different instructor.

We retired to my house for coffee and opened the parcel from Pyramid Models. Thank you Lee, they look very fine indeed.

I had intended to spend the afternoon doing domestic chores but the weather was perfect so I took my Ukrainian Baron for a couple of practise flights. Besides, the forecast is for wind and rain in the days ahead, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! The first flight was a familiarisation excercise but on the second flight I practised flying left hand circuits at low level. The plan was to fly ten circuits then land. I had completed nine circuits and had just lined the model up for a low pass when the engine cut. I landed it unseen in dead ground but heard the model rolling along the ground so didn't think that the model would have been damaged. This proved to be the case. This is going to be one lucky model! However, the 90cc (3 oz) fuel tank is too small for the Thunder Tiger 54! I'll sort out a bigger one.

After cleaning and packing the model, I took the dog for a walk around the perimeter. We saw a large flock of the Common European Crane flying northwards to their summer breeding grounds in Sandanavia and Northern Russia. This flock was followed by three more and once we'd got home another flock flew over the house.

Picture of the Radio Queen and the Ukrainian Baron minus its national markings and before I installed the engine. The orange and Dayglo Yellow really stand out well. I have a picture of it with the engine installed but it's too big for RCU. I've tried re-sizing it without success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.