Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Useless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:23 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to see RCU voice their outrage, you have every right to be angry Ken!

This move by the FAA will not make our sky's any safer... registering law abiding citizens who are RC enthusiast does what to detour the reckless actions of the criminal minded.... its the same mentality as banning guns, the average law abiding gun owning citizen respects all the safety rules and regulations pertaining to owning an operating a gun... is banning guns going to stop the criminal minded from obtaining a gun illegally and use it to commit a crime, of course not... so is registering UAV and model aircraft operators, going to put a stop to the reckless abuse of UAV's in restricted airspace, of course not.

You know whats coming next don't you?... the same as with buying a gun, a 10 day waiting period to do a background check before they hand over the UAV or radio equipment... is that going to stop the criminal minded from acquiring a UAV or radio equipment illegally and use it to commit a crime, of course not!... the only thing that's happening here is they just took another bite out of your (our) freedoms, and the criminals will continue to be criminals.

John M,
Old 12-15-2015, 05:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Just get our liability insurance from Nationwide or whomever, without the kickback to the AMA. Think I'll check with my insurance broker.
Wont do you any good at the present time, The AMA tells all their chartered clubs not let you fly unless you have AMA membership other forms of insurance are no good.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:32 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh we can fly, and we can get together and fly any none AMA fly in we want to!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:07 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
i don't see what the big deal is, .
You never do when it comes to the AMA. We get it your a happy camper.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ok guys, I usually don't jump into these discussions because I am supposed to remain neutral in stuff like this. But something just happened that totally pi**ed me off to the point that I spent the last 30 minutes typing up a letter to Dave Matthewson (Executive Director) at the AMA to express my outrage over what was going. With everything going on with the FAA fiasco and the feeling that we have been sold down the river the AMA should be hard at work with the FAA trying to help us out right? At least that's the blog that Dave put out yesterday, he said that the AMA was going to be organizing a lawsuit towards the FAA to get the FAA to abide by the 2012 FAA Modernization Law that states that Model Aviation was exempt from FAA regulations. They also stated that they were also trying to get the FAA to allow AMA members to be able to use their AMA numbers as their registration numbers instead of having to register with the FAA. So this is what the AMA is "supposed" to be doing on our behalf rigth?? This is what we are paying our $58/year (soon to by $75/year) for, right? They are support us in Washington when the need arises. Yes, I know there are other benefits and things that they do, and other support that they give us. But right now is time to prioritize and let's form a battle line and fight the fight that we need to right now right?? The FAA, Right?? So here is the email I got, and most of you probably got it too. [TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD="align: center"][TABLE="width: 100%, align: left"] [TR] [TD="class: content-padding"][TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD="class: drop, width: 2%"][/TD] [TD="class: drop, width: 65%"][TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD="align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD][TABLE="class: dashedBorder, align: center"] [TR] [TD="bgcolor: #bfbfbf, colspan: 3, align: right"]View this email as a web page[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="bgcolor: #ffffff"]Dear KENNETH, Your auto insurance is supposed to guard you every mile you drive ... every day of the year. But what if you're paying too much for protection that stops short if you're in an accident? As an AMA member, it's easy to find out. Get your qualified quote now [TABLE="width: 400, align: center"] [TR] [TD]•[/TD] [TD]You could pay less for every auto insurance bill with a special discount.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]•[/TD] [TD]What if you could cut those bills while at the same time providingpeace of mind for your loved ones when they're on the road?[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]•[/TD] [TD]Vanishing Deductible[SUP]®[/SUP] - Add Vanishing Deductible and get $100 off for every year of safe driving. Your deductible could even go down to zero.*[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Because you are a member of AMA, Nationwide offers you a discount. Thanks to an alliance between Academy of Model Aeronautics and Nationwide Insurance[SUP]®[/SUP], you can lower your auto insurance bills - while you set up even higher peace of mind whenever you're on the road. And what if you're in an accident? Just one accident could cost a safe driver like you as much as $500.00 - but it doesn't have to. Sincerely, Nationwide Insurance P.S. If you act fast, you could even qualify for a refund on your current coverage. Your current auto insurance company is required to issue you a prompt refund check for the majority of the premium that hasn't been used under your current policy.** So why wait? See how much you could save as an AMA member today. You can also call 1-888-889-4322. [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="bgcolor: #ffffff"][TABLE="width: 480, align: center"] [TR] [TD]At Nationwide, we work hard to ensure your online safety, security, and privacy. Please take a moment to review our policies To remove your email address from Nationwide email lists, please gohere to edit your subscriptions. *Vanishing Deductible is an optional feature. Annual credits subject to eligibility requirements. Maximum credit: $500.00. Details and availability vary by state. **Refund varies by state, the reason for cancellation, the amount of premium paid and other factors. Nationwide may make a financial contribution to this organization in return for the opportunity to market products and services to its alumni or customers. Products underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Home Office: Columbus, OH 43215. Subject to underwriting guidelines, review, and approval. Products and discounts not available to all persons in all states. Nationwide, the Nationwide N and Eagle and Nationwide is on your side are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. © 2015 Email ID: 10180905-EAF00112b[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Really??? Car Insurance??? Really?? Come on guys. Let's keep our focus right now. I doubt there are any of us out here right now that really give a flying flip about what they AMA can save us on car insurance. Sheeez. Really??? Does anybody out there think that I am off the mark be getting upset over this?? I personally think that the AMA really has lost it's focus and needs to seriously sit down and figure out what they are doing as an organization. Do they want to support the Drone community or are they going to support the existing Model Aviation community. And while they are doing that they need to put their full focus on actually fighting the fights the need fighting, and diddling around with the silly stuff. I seriously think that the AMA is an organization that has out grown it's usefulness and it's time for something new to arise from the ashes. It's clear that the AMA wants to court the multi-rotor community and welcome their masses into the folds of the AMA. Maybe it's time an new organization forms that provides the existing Model Aviation community the support we need that the AMA is supposes to providing us without all the extra BS. Ok, I'll climb off my soapbox now. Rant mode turned off. Thank you for listening. I feel better now. Ken
Your right on with your assessment. You would think after the failed efforts on their part they would try to focus on the issue at hand. Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 06:15 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't see what the big deal is,.
If you were around when Rome was burning you probably would have said the same thing about Nero.
The AMA is 20 years behind the times. We need leaders who are aware we are in the 21'st century with a changing hobby that is in trouble. We don't need partnerships with auto insurance companies or Horizon Hobby telling us about saving some dollars on auto policies or a foam B-17 plane!
What we may really need is a big sweeping change starting with the AMA.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
You never do when it comes to the AMA. We get it your a happy camper.

Mike
I'm no more a happy camper than you are a bitter cynical camper. Neither is true. I've voiced my issues with the AMA repeatedly, and made suggestions as to what I think would be better. they just don't fit the torch and pitchfork crowd, doesn't mean they are any less valid. I get that easier to repeat the same complaints over and over, and come after the poster like you have done here, rather than discuss the issue. I've stuck with the issues...not the personalities.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
If you were around when Rome was burning you probably would have said the same thing about Nero.
The AMA is 20 years behind the times. We need leaders who are aware we are in the 21'st century with a changing hobby that is in trouble. We don't need partnerships with auto insurance companies or Horizon Hobby telling us about saving some dollars on auto policies or a foam B-17 plane!
What we may really need is a big sweeping change starting with the AMA.
Well based on this and other threads, it would seem like similar times, only replace Rome with the AMA and the hobby.

More platitudes about the AMA being behind the times, and change being needed, and critiques over their marketing relationships with companies of all types. Ironic too in that some have complained the AMA was trying to be to with the times by accepting MR/Drones. Damned do, damned dont. Complaints basically surfacing now, where have they been over the past 20 years? Has this membership driven organization really been allowed to devolve in to this horrible place it's claimed to be in now? Does the membership have some responsibility here, or is it just easier and more convenient to blame an entity? Times change, as do situations and circumstances. this isn't the same hobby it was 20 year ago, and never will be. It isn't even the same one from 10 years ago. Can't change that either.

What exactly will a change in leadership bring us? What does the brand new leadership team do when they assume power? Do you have any specifics? Anything they can actually do...not things you wish they could do to change the past. Finally, and most importantly, who are these new people going to be that take over? Should they be "outsiders", or people who know how to run an organization. I don't see anyone running to assume any positions, or even laying the groundwork for that. If we look at the recent elections for even VP spots, most positions had no competition. And one that did was only decided by a factor of 35.

Change for the sake of change isn't always good change.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:49 PM
rcmiket

. . I've voiced my issues with the AMA repeatedly, and made suggestions as to what I think would be better.
I can not remember a single one of your "issues with the AMA" not one. Your a model member and should be the poster boy for the organization.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-15-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

The timing for the increase was interesting, they probably knew what was coming.
Suckering members into an early renewal also brought in the money they were looking for.
I guess in the past the AMA was really there to support the Hobby and their members, now it's just another bill for us to pay. Most clubs should rethink their strict AMA member policies. It's a lot of money for a secondary insurance.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 PM
franklin_m

I got a response to my letter to the AMA leadership, and they offered to refund my 2016 dues. Perhaps they'll extend this offer to others who are similarly unhappy with their actions.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I can not remember a single one of your "issues with the AMA" not one. Your a model member and should be the poster boy for the organization.
Mike
That's because you're so busy trying to attack me, or make snide comments about being a poster boy. You can't go a single day without trying the make things personal. I've asked before, but does it ever end with you? Since your a fan of labels and names, what label do we put on people who never have a single positive thing to say about the AMA, who second guess them at every turn, who have no actual plans on doing anything but venting online?

How about this, I'll agree with you 100%, I have NEVER said a bad thing about the AMA,ever...and since you can't recall that it must be true. I am the number one poster boy for the organization and I'm being fitted with my flight suit tomorrow. I will be honored at Muncie this week, after being limo'd there in luxury.

So we are settled. You are 100% correct. What issue do you want to attack me on next, or are we good for now?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I got a response to my letter to the AMA leadership, and they offered to refund my 2016 dues. Perhaps they'll extend this offer to others who are similarly unhappy with their actions.
More contact with them, it's been a great week for responses from the AMA. So did you accomplish what you wanted, will you take them up on their offer? Will this settle everything now?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM
rutanman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past I saw people saying the registration requirement should be if the vehicle has a camera.

A recent poster says that an aircraft should have the registration requirement if the the vehicle uses GPS systems for any of it's flight. The GPS idea is one of the better ideas that I have seen on the topic. No GPS - more flying skills, more time around the hobby and around hobby issues, more respect for safety and flying skills.

I wish the AMA would've taken the fight more along the lines of GPS capability.

Would have also been nice if the AMA would have pushed for a one time $5 fee for lifetime registration (if needed) with free ability to update status every 3 years or so. (no renewal - then you drop off the list.

I am just another pilot who fears what this will morph into over a couple of years. Like an enforcement officer with an attitude who says I saw you fly within 500 feet of yourself. I am going to have to confiscate your aircraft to save you from yourself. Along with that I'll give you a temporary room (as a timeout) to think about what you have done.

Hard not to be a little ticked off. Like so many others, have given so much to the hobby and to promote the hobby - but feeling a little bit betrayed by the powers that be. As a multi-position officer in my AMA club, I have membership asking me if the AMA is requiring members to register with the AMA. I am forced to tell them that I have not seen a clear direction that the AMA is directing club officers to tell their club membership. I feel for the higher ups in the AMA; however, I wonder how much of this might have been prevented if a better approach to the FAA could have been found.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rutanman
In the past I saw people saying the registration requirement should be if the vehicle has a camera.

A recent poster says that an aircraft should have the registration requirement if the the vehicle uses GPS systems for any of it's flight. The GPS idea is one of the better ideas that I have seen on the topic. No GPS - more flying skills, more time around the hobby and around hobby issues, more respect for safety and flying skills.

I wish the AMA would've taken the fight more along the lines of GPS capability.

Would have also been nice if the AMA would have pushed for a one time $5 fee for lifetime registration (if needed) with free ability to update status every 3 years or so. (no renewal - then you drop off the list.

I am just another pilot who fears what this will morph into over a couple of years. Like an enforcement officer with an attitude who says I saw you fly within 500 feet of yourself. I am going to have to confiscate your aircraft to save you from yourself. Along with that I'll give you a temporary room (as a timeout) to think about what you have done.

Hard not to be a little ticked off. Like so many others, have given so much to the hobby and to promote the hobby - but feeling a little bit betrayed by the powers that be. As a multi-position officer in my AMA club, I have membership asking me if the AMA is requiring members to register with the AMA. I am forced to tell them that I have not seen a clear direction that the AMA is directing club officers to tell their club membership. I feel for the higher ups in the AMA; however, I wonder how much of this might have been prevented if a better approach to the FAA could have been found.
Ask the other 25 plus members of the committee that made recommendations to the FAA if they think there was a better way to approach the FAA. The AMA wasn't in this as a sole participant. Assuming you think the AMA failed, would your position be that all of the other participants failed as well..like Amazon, Google, DJI etc etc? Do you think Amazon is pleased with the ruling? Do you think a multi billion dollar company like Amazon knew a better way to address this issue than the AMA did?

It's been less than 48 hours, but the AMA has already issued a press release. I think you meant to say members are asking you if they need to register with the AMA. I'm not sure what is unclear, the rule says they absolutely have to. If you members are unclear, give them a link. You can always reach out to your local AVP or even the VP for your district VP. This went out yesterday, what additional direction do they need?

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

• All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
  • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
  • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
  • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
  • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
  • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
  • You only need to register once every 3 years.

We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
  • We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
  • At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.

This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:00 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you RC Ken - 100% spot on with your comments. I saw that #^#$*$ car insurance ad and felt pretty much the same. Stay on your soapbox and when you get tired you can give me a hand up.

Porcia, you've got a lot of good points too. Can't say I agree with everything, but about 80% is inline with my attitude too.

Ira-d, I've been a AMA member since 1972 and in the past 25 years (because I'm somewhat remote) I've flown ONE TIME at a "club" field - and that one was 140 miles away from me anyway. You don't have to be an AMA member to fly planes - my planes will fly whether I'm a member or not.

Speaking of membership, I didn't have the $$$$ to get a year or two membership at the old rate. I'm going to have to go with the new rate. Still have 2 weeks to decide whether I'm going to renew or not. Lotta thinking going on, and this AMA/FAA/drone crap isn't helping one bit.

Either way, my planes WILL fly. I'll register with FAA because they can ruin me and my family if I don't. I may or may not renew with AMA because they can't, and still, my planes WILL fly.

Last edited by skylark-flier; 12-15-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 PM
John_M_

Skylark, you need to fly with insurance, unless you want to take the chance... injuring someone or doing extensive proper damage can ruin you and your family as well... we just need to play it smart; register with the FAA and keep pressuring the AMA to refine this process to include FAA registration when signing up or renewing with the AMA.

Whats next?, take your flight batteries away until you comply, where does this end LoL

John M,
Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 PM
John_M_

Just to show you how ridiculous this BS is, if you are a licensed Ham radio operator; there are no fee's for renewing your license... but if you now own a UAV / Model Aircraft its $5 bucks every 3 years... I guess the FAA needs the money, and the FCC doesn't... the madness

John M,
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 PM
MrGoodwreck

<-------- Extra Class

Originally Posted by John_M_
Just to show you how ridiculous this BS is, if you are a licensed Ham radio operator; there are no fee's for renewing your license... but if you now own a UAV / Model Aircraft its $5 bucks every 3 years... I guess the FAA needs the money, and the FCC doesn't... the madness

John M,
I have been waiting for the FCC to try and get their fingers in the pie.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:41 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen

Does anybody out there think that I am off the mark be getting upset over this?? I personally think that the AMA really has lost it's focus and needs to seriously sit down and figure out what they are doing as an organization. Do they want to support the Drone community or are they going to support the existing Model Aviation community. And while they are doing that they need to put their full focus on actually fighting the fights the need fighting, and diddling around with the silly stuff. I seriously think that the AMA is an organization that has out grown it's usefulness and it's time for something new to arise from the ashes. It's clear that the AMA wants to court the multi-rotor community and welcome their masses into the folds of the AMA. Maybe it's time an new organization forms that provides the existing Model Aviation community the support we need that the AMA is supposes to providing us without all the extra BS.

Ok, I'll climb off my soapbox now. Rant mode turned off. Thank you for listening. I feel better now.

Ken
Ken, way back when they built the Taj ma-Muncie I said the AMA had stop being an organization dedicated to modelers and has become an organization dedicated to being an organization.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:35 AM
rutanman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask the other 25 plus members of the committee that made recommendations to the FAA if they think there was a better way to approach the FAA. The AMA wasn't in this as a sole participant. Assuming you think the AMA failed, would your position be that all of the other participants failed as well..like Amazon, Google, DJI etc etc? Do you think Amazon is pleased with the ruling? Do you think a multi billion dollar company like Amazon knew a better way to address this issue than the AMA did?

It's been less than 48 hours, but the AMA has already issued a press release. I think you meant to say members are asking you if they need to register with the AMA. I'm not sure what is unclear, the rule says they absolutely have to. If you members are unclear, give them a link. You can always reach out to your local AVP or even the VP for your district VP. This went out yesterday, what additional direction do they need?
Porcia83, I appreciate your response and respect you and the points you make, although I do not agree with all of them. In my opinion, the hobby of model aircraft (not GPS assisted vehicles) now finds itself in an area surrounded by land mines, so to speak.

The fact it even came to a one sided task force (business directed) instead of the AMA dealing directly with the FAA directly makes me a little sick. Since you mentioned Amazon - Amazon, yes is big business (along with Walmart, etc.) They are used to pushing people around and calling the shots. It feels (could be wrong) that they tried to push around the FAA. The FAA, now pissed off, had to "flex" it's muscles. Separating (model aircraft) from business related and gps assisted flying quadcopters would seem like a better approach to the FAA (along with some bowing down, etc.)

Sorry, I can't give cudos to the AMA for a press release in less than 48 hours. I would think that some higher ups would have known or had an idea what was coming from the FAA. Pre-planned press releases for each of the possible scenarios should have in the works as soon as the task force dis-banded. I just want an AMA that plans and acts ahead of time instead of being purely reactionary.

(now on to the "mine field") In another thread, I saw a message by an AMA rep that said the AMA will not reject a claim or behave any differently just because an r/c pilot has not registered with the FAA. (Was this person mistaken? Sounds like the rep is saying that it's the individual's choice to register with the FAA or not. It won't have any affect on the dealings between the AMA and the individual)

Also, if a newcomer brings a plane to an AMA field, but the newcomer is not registered. Can the new plane be flown by a club member? Who is responsible for the plane (an instructor pilot?) Do you write the instructor's FAA number and name on a piece of masking tape and affix to the aircraft?

Last edited by rutanman; 12-16-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:16 AM
rcmiket

That's because you're so busy trying to attack me, or make snide comments about being a poster boy. You can't go a single day without trying the make things personal. I've asked before, but does it ever end with you? Since your a fan of labels and names, what label do we put on people who never have a single positive thing to say about the AMA, who second guess them at every turn, who have no actual plans on doing anything but venting online?

How about this, I'll agree with you 100%, I have NEVER said a bad thing about the AMA,ever...and since you can't recall that it must be true. I am the number one poster boy for the organization and I'm being fitted with my flight suit tomorrow. I will be honored at Muncie this week, after being limo'd there in luxury.

So we are settled. You are 100% correct. What issue do you want to attack me on next, or are we good for now?
Why is it that every time your asked a question or called on something that's total BS you play the hate card? You leave yourself wide open for criticism.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 04:21 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by rutanman
Porcia83, I appreciate your response and respect you and the points you make, although I do not agree with all of them. In my opinion, the hobby of model aircraft (not GPS assisted vehicles) now finds itself in an area surrounded by land mines, so to speak.

The fact it even came to a one sided task force (business directed) instead of the AMA dealing directly with the FAA directly makes me a little sick. Since you mentioned Amazon - Amazon, yes is big business (along with Walmart, etc.) They are used to pushing people around and calling the shots. It feels (could be wrong) that they tried to push around the FAA. The FAA, now pissed off, had to "flex" it's muscles. Separating (model aircraft) from business related and gps assisted flying quadcopters would seem like a better approach to the FAA (along with some bowing down, etc.)

Sorry, I can't give cudos to the AMA for a press release in less than 48 hours. I would think that some higher ups would have known or had an idea what was coming from the FAA. Pre-planned press releases for each of the possible scenarios should have in the works as soon as the task force dis-banded. I just want an AMA that plans and acts ahead of time instead of being purely reactionary.

(now on to the "mine field") In another thread, I saw a message by an AMA rep that said the AMA will not reject a claim or behave any differently just because an r/c pilot has not registered with the FAA. (Was this person mistaken? Sounds like the rep is saying that it's the individual's choice to register with the FAA or not. It won't have any affect on the dealings between the AMA and the individual)

Also, if a newcomer brings a plane to an AMA field, but the newcomer is not registered. Can the new plane be flown by a club member? Who is responsible for the plane (an instructor pilot?) Do you write the instructor's FAA number and name on a piece of masking tape and affix to the aircraft?
Pretty good points there and a bunch of unanswered questions. The scenario of the newcomer is really interesting.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 AM
rcmiket

John M,
This is how ridiculous this whole thing is,

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Skylark, you need to fly with insurance, unless you want to take the chance... injuring someone or doing extensive proper damage can ruin you and your family as well... we just need to play it smart; register with the FAA and keep pressuring the AMA to refine this process to include FAA registration when signing up or renewing with the AMA.

Whats next?, take your flight batteries away until you comply, where does this end LoL

John M,

Those who fly without being an AMA member or those who decide to leave it and still fly will have insurance(9 times out of 10) as long as they own a home. Those who rent would not. For the majority(I believe) we are paying the AMA for secondary insurance we will never need.
There has to be other options out there to insure clubs and members. Maybe now is the time for another group to start up and provide us with what we need and want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.