Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade CP vs 400 & T-rex: Basic Info Please

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CP vs 400 & T-rex: Basic Info Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Wolfpackin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CP vs 400 & T-rex: Basic Info Please

OK, maybe it's that time...for me.

I've learned a lot about the CX2 over the past several months but it may be time for me to upgrade (to an outdoor heli).
I just learned that there is a local club that meets once a week to fly fixed wing planes and helicopters outside. I spoke to a guy flying a T-rex and he gave me the low down on the club.

So, I love my CX2 but obviously I won't be able to keep up, especially outside, with the club.

I am a newbie again.

I'd like to know the main differences between the Blade CP and 400.
Also, which Blade helicopter is most like the T-rex ?

Please keep in mind I know nothing about single rotor helicopters.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 PM
stump3r

Default RE: Blade CP vs 400 & T-rex: Basic Info Please

I'm going to chime in on this one as well....What Wolf said. Looking to make the move to a single rotor....but which machine too many to choose from!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Sinist3rMinist3r

2 things. 1st.. I have to say. The most heli like the trex is the trex. Cant get much simpler then that.

2ndh thing. I to have decided I want to start looking for something bigger. Right now I dont want to do 3d. Just normal flight. I do however want to get into scale stuff. I have seen people use the trex 450 and the 600. But I dont know which is better. Also what about HDX450se V3? I hear that is almost just like the trex but no carbon fiber frame which supposedly creates static elec. and can fry your electronics. So Im in the same boat as you. Glad you posted it first.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 PM
J-MICHAEL

Wolf: YES.....!!!! It is time...! You must suffer with the rest who are moving up ! The 400 is the same "class" as the TREX...A good ready to fly for starting in my opinion...If ya Already got a killer radio...I prefer the TREX in my research for my own personal opinion...And no I haven't flown one yet...5 more days with the DX-7...Me and Bry will get to see what the rave is about...The CP-PRO, I do have, and is a good heli set-up right...But I hope patience is in your nature for it... Jeff
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM
J-MICHAEL

Wolf: When I do get the TREX in the air for some "hops" here soon I'll give ya an honest opinion on the ease or user friendliness of it...I'll even shoot a first vid flight, so you can see... I got the TREX SA 450 ARF COMBO, that comes with a brushless motor and 35a ecu for $249.00.. All You need left is 4 servos, a Gyro, and a batt. If you get the DX-7, like I did, then that comes with three servos that you can use for it, so all ya need is 1 more..Then the gyro, and batt.. If ya click on the banner above that you see for this bird it says 269.00.....But click it, and you'll see they just lowered the price to 239.00...And goes back and forth on price I noticed....
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 PM
J-MICHAEL

The 400 would be a good heli from what I've researched for a first set-up for somebody...Radio, all the goodies....But remember, a new product, which might find it troublesome to acquire parts for a bit... I like the TREX 450 SA as a starting out TREX rather than say the V2 version because the SA has a aluminum frame instead of the lighter carbon fiber....So might hold up better in a crash, in starting out...And adds weight for stability, as I won't be doing no 3-D, or inverted maneuvers...I'll get the better version later, and learn on this SA...Also there's less to assemble. as the SE V2, you have to go and do the whole assembly and such..Which can be good, because it familiarizes yourself better with it...And the SE v2 comes with the aluminum head, where as the SA doesn't...(Bry Got the Se V2 version) Top of the line if ya ask me...My dad has the electric TREX 600, and I'll let ya know how that is when I get down to Cali in 5 days...(53") main rotor blades, so kind of to big if it was me starting out, but I guess It's pretty solid, being bigger..Plus I don't want to die, on a malfunction...! ..Lol..
Old 10-19-2007, 08:46 PM
stump3r

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Blade 400 is a 400 class machine right along side the Trex...yes no? With the support I have with Eflite products at my LHS I would probably move to it over a Trex. However my LHS does have a wall of Trex parts too. Unfortunately no heli guru on staff so your kinda on your own. I'm thinking the Blade 400 perfect for someone to move into has everything right out of the box.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Wolfpackin

J-M,

But I'm still really dumb on all this.
What's the difference between the CP Pro that you have and the new 400.
Also, what is the main difference between your CP Pro and the TREX you just got.

BTW, The wife is already yelling at me as I type this. [X(]
Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 PM
J-MICHAEL

Your best responses are going to come with the vets here on this forum...I just done a lot of research of my own and enjoy the availability of parts for the TREX, and the positive feedback from a lot of folks... The CPP has a tail motor (which burns out at least once a month) The 400 I believe is tail driven..I don't know much about the 400...Didn't really care to either, as I am a TREX fan...ALL personal opinion..The main rotor on the CPP is 20.3"..The TREX is 27.6" A 450 "Class" heli....The CPP is a little more "slippery" of a heli to fly, where I constantly hear the TREX is more stable, and more powerful...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:01 PM
J-MICHAEL

Bry check this out: A thread titled " WHY TREX ?" :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6479028/tm.htm
Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 PM
J-MICHAEL

From what I gather the 400 is going to be a way more stable bird than the CPP, and a good deal for everything ya get.....More powerful, bigger main rotor, better components....The CPP can be all this to, but will drain your wallet in doing so, and then again, may never get what you were hoping for....Look up the Blade 400 for more info...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 PM
J-MICHAEL

Blade 400 info webite:

http://e-fliterc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=EFLH1400
Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Wolfpackin

OK, so the Blade 400 and TREX are both bigger than the Blade CP?
Are the controls and mechanics the same on all three? Except that the 400 does not have a tail motor?
Are all three collective pitch?
Can all three do 3D flight?

I'm confused already.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
J-MICHAEL

Here is the TREX 450 SA owners manual:

http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/Pro...ARF_Manual.pdf
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 PM
J-MICHAEL

Blade CP PRO info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=795
Old 10-19-2007, 09:14 PM
J-MICHAEL

You need to hear from others Wolf, very important to get other opinions...This is all my personal opinions/suggestions...I hope ya do move up, as ya still got your CX's, and you can just take your time in deciding, and when you do get something, you won't have to be in a rush to get it in the air...PATIENCE pays off... GOOD-LUCK !! I'am happy that you might pursue the adventures ahead of ya.... Jeff..
Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Wolfpackin

Looks like I have a lot of research to do this weekend.
I can't do it right now, that's why I tried to get some quick answers from you guys.

Two screaming boys under 4 yrs and the wife's bad looks is not working for me.
I'll read up and post questions at a later date.

Jeff,

Thanks for the links that will make it easier.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
jent

My understanding on the differences (some may be wrong, have not researched it yet cuz I got not cash):

CP Pro - collective pitch heli....but due to the the motor ran tail and the small size it can be a bit hard to fly, and even harder to do 3d flying in

Trex - Belt driven tail....larger size to give more stability....And better quality parts giving less flex and more responsive moves

Blade 400 - same design as the trex 450 size but....It has even larger blades on the same sized body frame giving the heli even more stability than the T-Rex Also includes the belt driven tail and is a more capable bird.

I personally own and learned to fly on a CP Pro. It is a good heli, but can be frustrating. I have upgraded to brushless, dual tail motors, and G90 gyro. And it can still be hard to fly at times. Once I get some money I am going to be looking at going to ether a CP 400 or a trex....I personally am hesitant on the Blade 400 because I already have a Futaba 7C and PCM receiver. And would like to stay with the PCM line. So if I go CP 400 I might get one used that does not have a transmitter. Otherwise I will likely be getting a trex.

My advice based on the info I know....Go directly to the Blade 400. It is a cheaper package to start out with, and just because it is more capable does not mean you have to fly 3d at the start. You will find the bigger bird easier to fly than a CP Pro. And tail motors are just frustrating, a belt driven tail is better for everyone, 3d or not. With the Blade 400 you will have a cheaper package but it will give you a transmitter you can use in the future, with the CP Pro you will need to buy another transmitter like I already have before you can get any more birds. If I was getting into the hobby now instead of about a year ago, I would have gone with the Blade 400 no question about it.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:26 PM
J-MICHAEL

Wolf: If I already didn't get the DX-7, I would have probably got the 400...It will give ya everything ya need...Spectrum radio also...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Wolfpackin

Shhhhhhhh, OK I'm back.

Sounds like if I stick with E-Flite, the 400 is the choice over CP Pro.

I do not have any other equipment besides what came with the CX2, so no usable Tx.

How does the Tx that comes with the Blade 400 compare to the DX7 you guys have been talking about? Can the Blade 400 transmitter be used with a TREX?

Ooops, didn't mean to shout.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 AM
J-MICHAEL

Wolf: I'am not familiar with the differences between the Dx-6/DX-7...But I do definately know you'd get more bang for your buck with the 400 rather than the CP or CPP...Remember, I'am still in a learning curve with these bigger heli's...I gain most of my knowledge from reading more than one should in these forums...I'am only a few months away from reading the whole WEEEEEE....CP thread...Call me sick, but I'am determined...The guys in that forum are your best bet for knowledge...There a very tight bunch and are close together as the "BAND OF BROTHERS" They have fleets of heli's of all kinds and I swear know everything...They've taught me a lot through open arms, and are all older gents with lots of wisdom...ArrowNaughtic/CrashCrash/Choppersrule/Lookyj/Barrick/Wnuk/Theradioflyer/Atzanik/Cltmte/Mrassm/Noguy....There the "regulars" there. I'am only 37, and the "baby" of the group, the oldest is 70...Breeze through there and get a feel...They would know any questions that you would have. I catch them lurking to the open forum here once in awhile, ArrowNaughtic I see is always "snooping around" the other threads, as do a few others, They'll probably recognize your name as a regular here, and I know they would probably help ya with a lot of your questions...ArrowNaughtic is one especially that knows the CP's very well...He's a true fan at heart...If ya don't get the questions to your answers, please post there, you won't regret it...Although I'am sure ArrowNaughtic, Mrassm, Or ChoppersRule, Might get tempted to visit this thread...If it wasn't for these guys, I'd be lost in the water still....Post a question for kicks, you'll see...I couldn't say enough of how much I respect these guys and there talent/knowledge/wisdom with these heli's of any kind, and could never thank them enough...I wouldn't even gone and breezed through there if it wasn't one day a long time ago, that a guy came through here and was being an A--, to me and others, and Arrow came right up behind him and set him straight, and I just got lured to see what this group was that hangs over there, and Felt connected with them ever since...They share so much trust with one another, that they even send there heli's back and forth for advice/repairs and such...A tight nit group by far....Don't be shy, go for it, I think you'll respect there advice. Your a professional and mature gent who I do respect on here a lot, and I feel they would to as they sense your good ways....Just my 2 cents.. I'am so excited that your looking for another challenge with new frustrations...I will be for life, as you can probably tell..!...Lol.. Alright, have a good one... --- Jeff
Old 10-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Wolfpackin

J-M,

Thanks, as always.

I've already eliminated the CP. I think it will be the Blade 400 3D or the TREX 450 SA/SE.
With my limited knowledge I think the Blade would sure be a lot easier to start out with since it comes with everything I'll need.

I'm very fortunate that my father may have been bitten by the Heli bug. He's the one who saw the guy flying a TREX today while he was out with my boys. If he gets into this hobby we'll probably have a couple of each of these birds.

Do you know if the 400 is out yet? I haven't seen any posts other than the initial excitment over them.

I wonder if the flight time is the same with both of them, Blade 400 & TREX 450.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:53 AM
J-MICHAEL

Wolf: Yes, I'am lucky to..! My dad in Cali also is in to the heli's and such..He's got the TREX 600 (53" main) CPP, and is getting into it more because of me, so it will be fun to have a flyin' partner...! I'll be there in 5 more days..Can't wait..!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:06 AM
J-MICHAEL

Here is another fresh thread "could you suggest a good 400-450 heli ?"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6442644/tm.htm
Old 10-20-2007, 05:30 AM
clarinetjd

ORIGINAL: Wolfpackin

Shhhhhhhh, OK I'm back.

Sounds like if I stick with E-Flite, the 400 is the choice over CP Pro.

I do not have any other equipment besides what came with the CX2, so no usable Tx.

How does the Tx that comes with the Blade 400 compare to the DX7 you guys have been talking about? Can the Blade 400 transmitter be used with a TREX?

Ooops, didn't mean to shout.
Spektrum is now offering the Dx6i as a separate unit apart from the Blade 400 too. You can check out both the DX6i and the DX7 on Spektrum's site:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6600

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.