Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Need Help With Blade CX2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Need Help With Blade CX2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Cameron40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Blade CX2

I posted this on someone elses thread but I wanted to put this somewhere where more people will notice. I am having trouble with my CX2 spinning to the right. I have trimmed it all the way to the left and adjusted the trimmer pot as far as it will go but it keeps on spinning to the right. I can fly it but it makes it difficult. I have taken the inner shaft out and taken everything off the outer shaft looking for anything that could be messing anything up. I did find that the inner shafts gear is wobbleing when I spin it so I will replace it. If that doesnt help then Il need help because I cant find anything. Also my flybar is straight and balanced so it couldnt be that. Theres not really anything to see but if pictures could help I can post them. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Wolfpackin

Default RE: Need Help With Blade CX2

A CW yaw, spinning to the right, is likely caused by the lower rotor/outer shaft assembly or the motor that drives it.

Check that the brass step washer is installed correctly. Steps towards the bearing.
Check that the outer shaft lock collar is not set down too tightly. It needs some play.
Check that the upper screws, of the lower head, are not screwed in too tigthly. They can rub on the inner shaft.
Check and balance lower blades, make sure they track OK.
Check gear mesh and motor.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
pilotwi

I would also check the three bearings that are on the machine. I had the same problem and the bearing on the top of the outer shaft needed lubing.

Bob
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the newer CX2's not have a proportional trim pot on the 3 in1? I know in my manual it had a detailed explanation of trimming yaw out of the heli after all the mechanical adjustments were spot on. Agreed one should be checking for binding in that lower shaft and also the main bearings in the frame but after that its all about motors spinning proportionally to offset each others torque.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
eat2muchrice

ORIGINAL: ArrowNaughtic
Do the newer CX2's not have a proportional trim pot on the 3 in1?
Yes, they do have one.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: ArrowNaughtic

Do the newer CX2's not have a proportional trim pot on the 3 in1? I know in my manual it had a detailed explanation of trimming yaw out of the heli after all the mechanical adjustments were spot on. Agreed one should be checking for binding in that lower shaft and also the main bearings in the frame but after that its all about motors spinning proportionally to offset each others torque.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Yes, if everything is mechanically sound and you still have nose drift (yaw), then you dial the proportional mix pot the opposite direction of the yaw. Always unplug the Heli before making adjustments and make only very small (1/16th of a turn) adjustments before plugging it back in and test flying.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Cameron40

Thanks for the advice, I havent done it yet but once I try it il let you know how it goes. I havent checked the bearings or the washer yet. I would like to lube the bearings but I was kindof scared to do that because I know some types of oil disolve plastic. What kind would I use?

My outer shaft is a little bent but I cant really tell untill I spin it with the heli. I did that and it wobbles slightly at the top. Is there a way to straighten a shaft that you cant really see where its bending? If not it wouldnt hurt me to replace it. The outer shaft had little scars in it where the screws have rubbed on it. It made it hard to move anything off the shaft so I sanded them down. Yes I have adjusted the trimmer pot. It used to fly straight and now it spins after a few crashes so I think its something mechanical or if all else fails il have to replace my 3-1 unit. Thanks again for the help and after looking my heli over for the bearings and everything I will try it and tell how it goes.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Wolfpackin

The outer shaft had little scars in it where the screws have rubbed on it.
Those little scars mean that the lower head was slipping on the outer shaft, if they go around the shaft.
Then that's your problem.

The upper screws of the lower head need to go into the holes on the outer shaft.
Far enough in to keep the head from slipping but not too far or they will rub on the inner shaft as I mentioned above.
The lower screws just butt up against the shaft.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Cameron40

Yes, its the ones that butt against the shaft that made the scars. It didnt make a scrape around the shaft it just made two tiny craters where they had been. I guess they were on too tight. It wasnt on the inner shaft thankgoodness. I just sanded the little scars out so I dont have to worry about that anymore but it made it difficult to put the aluminum swashplate on. I dont really like the aluminum swashplate though so I took it off. If I need it I have it but I dont realy think it helps.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Wolfpackin

Check the step washer and locking collars for that CW yaw problem.
Could be the motor also.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Cameron40

I took the outer shaft out and everything else out to inspect it and nothing looked wrong so I put it all back together and set the trim and trimmer pot back to dead center and tried to fly it. It went up and hovered almost dead straight with almost no yawing, no TBE, nothing. It was almost perfect. I guess something was out of place in it or something because its working now. Im glad I didnt have to spend money to replace anything. I cant believed it worked. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Wolfpackin

Good job, have fun.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Lostboy72

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and Very new to flying a Heli.. Quick question, dose the Blade cx2 need any kind of lubrication for the gears/cogs & bearings ? might sound a daft question but i thought it may help the parts last longer, If it dose need a lube can anyone recommend one. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM
eat2muchrice

Hi Lostboy,
Thats a tough debate. Some will say yes and others say no. To get more attention and feed back in the forums start a new post and title it "lubricating gears/cogs & bearings".
I personally only lube my bearings, I'll take them out, place them in a corner of a plastic bag, fill it with a little lube, twist the bag, squish it around, then dry them with a paper towel. It washes all the dirt and buildup inside them.
From what I understand about the gears is that they are self lubericating, Plastic on metel parts do not need grease or oil. It will only junk up your gears and attract dirt.
I've heard of people lubing their motors and others yelling at them for that. Some have said to not lube anything at all.
Caution: Some lube's will expand plastic and soften it. Use something wiht 100% pure silicone or read the lable to make sure its safe.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
BryFlyGuy67

I use Tri-Flow (or equivelant, with PTFE) on my bearings and a drop or two on the swash every now and then. However, I have an aluminum swah. Do not lube a plastic swash.

As far as procedures, I usually take them out, put them on a paper towel and put a lot of lube in them to flush out any dirt / metal shavings that might be inside. I also change my bearings periodically, when my CX2 isn't flying right and I've checked everything else!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Make SURE that if you lube the bearings that their outer surface (outer "race") is wiped free of oil before you put them back in.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Lostboy72

Gents, thanks for answering my question, in response to eat2muchrice I’ll attempt to start a new post now, thanks again guys.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
RC David

Hey guys.

Not sure if you can help me but here goes.

I've had my CX-2 since Oct. 07. Had probably a dozen crashes but mainly only broke blades. I finally added a carbon fiber boom after wrecking the stock plastic tail/boom. I put that on and it flew great. Then I got cocky when flying at the local gym last week and dove it into the ground. OUCH!

I thought I totalled the whole thing but the main frame seemed ok (and still looks intact). I've now replaced:

- lower head with the blue aluminum E-flight rotor head (it came with the blue aluminum upper head)
- all 4 blades
- flybar
- both inner & outer shafts (after seeing too much wobble)
- battery holder
- canopy

Now the blades track fairly even but the heli wants to pitch right (even with full trim to left). It does not fly as stable as it did before either requiring much more correction even to hover. It did not do this before the upgrades so I don't know what is wrong.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
bonsaidude

Now the blades track fairly even but the heli wants to pitch right (even with full trim to left). It does not fly as stable as it did before either requiring much more correction even to hover. It did not do this before the upgrades so I don't know what is wrong.
With all the stuff you replaced, it could be that the swash plate isn't level anymore. First I would eyeball it, is it perpendicular to the shaft?

Here are instructions for getting it leveled out:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642401
Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 AM
RC David

Thanks bonsaidude,

The swash actually "looked" level before I made the adjustment but I did it anyway. I havn't had time to test fly it again yet but hopefully will later this week. Maybe I should go all the way and buy the aluminum swash too.

It's very aggravating to have this little coaxial that flew great when I bought it and now after I've spent $$$$$$$ to fix/upgrade it, it flies like %&#%

Dave