Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Electrifly Extra 330s

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Valius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrifly Extra 330s

I won't have to weight it anymoreNever say never
Lithuania not as big as Canada, but the weather conditions are nearly the same At the moment the weather still gives the chance to get some flights(not too windy)
I'm not really sure how many guys do RC , anyway we have RC championship tours across the country.
One of the winners of RC championship is Donatas Pauzuolis hi's Top guy!I praud of him!May watch at his net site:http://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/blogcategory/
At winter I much prefer flying in the hall, outside usually too windy.Outside had a try several times, but the pleasure not so big.
That was pleased to tell you about that.What side of Canada do you live?Know not so much, notice live not in French region and fly not with RC laurel leaves
Old 09-17-2007, 05:08 PM
carguy1994ca

Well I do live in a french region, the province of Quebec, wich is in the east of the country. Most of the guys at our club fly gaz or glow. Glow is not so good in the winter because you have to have a good starter and even to heat the engine before starting it. thats why I changed to electric. Much better to start , no vibration, no cleaning to do.

Flying on ski is great, just pick a day when it is not to cold, like - 5 deg celsius with some sun. Soooo coooool !
Old 10-07-2007, 05:06 PM
440GTX

Thanks for the Mini Review. I went to the LHS today to by an E-Filte Mini Funtana X . There were none in stock.
There is a Nice GP 330S with my name on it. So I guess I will pick it up tomorrow. And An E-Filte 480 motor.
Should go nice with my 2100 18C Lipos

Fred..
Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 PM
carguy1994ca

440 GTX, I'm sure you will like it. Unfortunately mine came to its demise because of pilot error. But I will buy another. Tough of some other planes but always come back to this one. Nice engineering, nicely built, flies great ! Tell us about yours when you fly it !
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 AM
440GTX

I picked up the plane on Monday. So far I have the airframe put together. Everything fit like a glove. So far So good.
There are a few weight saving tricks I am using . The E-Flite 40 ESC is lighter than the GP
I am not using any Epoxy on this plane. I used White Wood glue for my Spar and motor mount. CA for the rest.
I think Nylon bolts can replace the magnets
I know a guy who proved white glue clamped is stronger and lighter than Epoxy. Unless you are using glow fuel.
I noticed 1 design flaw. When I put my 2 Hitec 55's in the tail. the 2 servos were touching each other on the bottom of them.
So a 1/16" lite ply spaced fixed that. Any one else have the same problem with Hitec Servos. ?
Due to the lack of spare time no maden untill next weekend.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Valius

I had the same problem with Hitec55 Servos, but solve it, just put another kind of the servos
By the way, must know the weight of my GP Extra, its 718 grams, with out the battery.So, yours could be more lighter!Good luck!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 PM
440GTX

Got my GP 330S up in the air today.
Weight ready to Launch is 26.5 oz.
Power is an E-Filte Park 480 with a 11X7 apc and E-Filte 40 amp esc.
Lipos are Clone TP's 2200 amp 18 C
I have been out of airplanes for 8 years . I fly Helis
It was really nice to build something where everythig is a near perfect or perfect fit.
The low rate ailerons were a little soft for me so I bumped the aileron up another 25% on low rates
The high rate throws were very quick so i added 25 % expo on high rates.
The CG as per directions were right on, the Plane flys inverted without touching the elevator.
Its a very very smooth flying plane. Tracks like its on rails. Even in 10 to 15 mph winds.
I am not a 3D pilot but it did every thing I wanted.
I do not know about flight times . It was cold 30 deg F so my fingers made me land after 6 minute flights.
It is not as fast as my Striker 27C . It does not Hover like my Raptior 50 Heli.
BUT it is FUN.
Would I recomend this to a R/C pilot. YES

Fred..
Old 10-22-2007, 07:18 AM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: 440GTX

Thanks for the Mini Review. I went to the LHS today to by an E-Filte Mini Funtana X . There were none in stock.
There is a Nice GP 330S with my name on it. So I guess I will pick it up tomorrow. And An E-Filte 480 motor.
Should go nice with my 2100 18C Lipos

Fred..
Fred

Let me know if you have picked up that 330S and made the Park 480 modification yet. I think I put that engine in every GP plane I fly so I don't have to worry about power or any of the other Rimfire issues I have heard about. I have built the Extra 260 3d from E-Flite and wanted to get the 330S as a plane to fly with my son. I have looked at the plans, and figure there are some mods that will need to be done since the make sure they are set up for the RimFires.

Very interested to hear if you think this mod will work as I have the components waiting to be moved out of an E flite Mini Pulse XT that is allergic to flying well.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
wedgewing

Fred:

sorry I replied before the getting to the bottom of the thread. I have the same components, with the exception of the e flite S 75 servos. Sounds like it was a good flight. for this plane I am looking for good behavior and something I can move my son along with as he gets better flying, (capable of loops and rolls, but if he looks away is it going to dive for the ground?). we fly on the buddy box, and he can fly around by himself for maybe 10 minutes before he gets himself in trouble.....sounds like all of us

anything special beyond a firewall modification needed to mount the 480?

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this plane
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
440GTX

anything special beyond a firewall modification needed to mount the 480?
No . Just re-drill the 480 backplate into the firewall. I used 10 mm X 3 mm hex bolts into the blind nuts instead of
the supplied 3 mm screws. I also added an extra 3 / 8 " balsa tri stock around the firewall frame at the rear.
Extra support. and weighs nothing.
Set up your starting controls throws to the suggested low as per manual then work your way up.
I am using an APC 11 X 7 for starters . Lots of vertical.
I have been out of planes for a few years . So I forget a few things
What would happen if I tried an APC 12 X 6 or 10 X 8 . Speed and Vertiacal ?

Have fun.

Fred..
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
wedgewing

Thanks for the quick feedback and description of the mod.

That 12 x 6E prop is what they prescribe for the e flite extra 260 3D, and I would never go below the 11. I am not an expert with the math, but with the 10 X prop the planes move but not like having the 11 on them, same with vertical. Maybe messing with pitch can help the 10. I run the 11 X 7E, and 8Es on my mini ultra stick and what a difference over a 10 inch prop. There are people using a 12 in prop on that if that helps. sounds like you have a good set up.

The wife just asked me yesterday "where did this yellow and purple plane come from?" so I am sure she will repeat it for the yellow and orange one too once the Extra 330s joins the family
Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
carguy1994ca

440 GTX

If you increase pitch and decrease diameter of prop, you will get more speed but less vertical. If you increase diameter and decrease pitch, you will get more vertical.

I'm glad you like the plane. I have found (for the brief time I had it) that it was exceptionnally good in wind. I would believe mine was heavier than yours so maybe it could have been better in the wind.

Would really like to build another one, still have the electronics but have to buy stuff for my sig Dornier.

Please keep the comments coming on the 330s, makes me wait till I buy my new one !
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
wedgewing

Just purchased the 330s today. that is the second lunchtime purchase of a plane in a week (e flite 260 3D last week). Man the wife is going to love me (late sweetest day present?) should have one of them built by the end of the week. I will let you know how the 330s flies compared to the 260 3D.

Both are going to be set up with Park 480s, 40 amp ESC, 12 x 6E APC, and 3C TP 2100 lipos. 260 3D is for me, and the 330s is "supposed" to be for me and my son to fly via the buddy box as I am gutting his Mini Pulse XT. Very Interested in seeing how they handle our winds, especially in the fall.

Going to have to change my icon
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 AM
440GTX

I will let you know how the 330s flies compared to the 260 3D.
That would be Great. A review from a person who actually has both.

I am tired of reading that Model 'A' is the best in the world from a person who has never built or flown
both. Or has only built only 1 , and claims it is the best .

Fred..
Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 AM
wedgewing

I will make sure I post it on both 260 3D threads, as well as this one. I can tell you that the planes are very similar in size and build just taking the 330s out of the box last night. Honey Do items before a trip out of town prevented me from checking every part but I will make sure to provide a comparison between the two for the building process as well.

Possible that I will have the 330s done by next weekend, as I have to finish the 260 3D first. I hope both fly really well. stay tuned
Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
carguy1994ca

Wedgewing, any reason for you to prefer e-flite power package instead of the electrify one ?

Also, you said that the mini-pulse XT is not that good a flyer, can you elaborate? I think i saw some reviews that said it was great.

Thanks for your input
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
wedgewing

Carguy1944a:

I have a Rimfire set up on an RCU Bipe and have no issues with it. I had one on the GP DR VII that gave me fits and I wasn't pleased with it, so I moved a Park 480 910kv over into that model with some firewall modifications and it worked great. I am not an Electrifly Power basher, ( I see many more posts that mirror what happened to my rig, and I had it set up properly). I still trust the engine I have in my RCU Bipe and will continue to use it.

I think my trust or favor of the Park / E Flite power set up is based on trust and positive experience to date. It is the same set up I have within my Mini Ultra Stick, and I am incredibly pleased with it, so I would rather make a mod here and there to allow for the purchase of the GP Planes, and choose a power set up I like. I have a few engines / ESCs / etc, and sticking with the one makes swapping out a system easier if an unfortunate event like a massive crash would happen, or the plane drives me nuts

I too have read so much about the Mini Pulse XT and positive reviews were more responsible for making me purchase it. I have read a lot of Doc's reviews and advice, and I guess mine started off as a lemon with a tailplane issue, that I had to fix. The carbon rod connecting the elevator surfaces was never attached properly and I had to go in to do some surgery, because the parts were on back order. Stuff happens, and there will always be a quality issue here and there, so I am not down on the plane about that. I feel like the left out kid because I have it set up properly and the flight experience is less than positive.

The fact that I have it on a Futaba 4YF starter radio may be an issue, because I could not follow a posters advice to use expo to dial down some of the twitchiness. Truthfully, I think it is my plane, because I have very positive experiences with the two MUSs I have, plus the GP SU 31 profile, the GP DR V II, an E Flite Gypsy (modified with ailerons - another story), and now the GP 330s, and now my 260 3D.

I hope you have a positive MPXT experience. I like the e flite power stuff
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
carguy1994ca

Thanks wedgewing !

Maybe you could play with the holes on your servo arms and/or surfaces control arms to remove some twitchiness? It would make the plane less manoeuvrable in extreme attitudes though. But I believe it is more a sport plane than a 3d ?

I used e-flite six series motor and 40 amp esc in my stryker brushless conversion and I'm very please with it ! So much performance, but expensive set up. That's why I asked about your experience with the e-flite products, as I have been very pleased with the rimfire in my extra. I plan to put the smaller rimfires in my Sig Dornier kit. I will check thourhouly for the shaft and prop collar to be secure before I fly it
Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 AM
wedgewing

carguy1994ca

I am thinking you are addressing the MPXT twitchiness. I have it set up in the middle holes, and the plane was purchased for my son and I to fly through the buddy box as he has moved past the gypsy, and even past the modification i made to add ailerons to the gypsy which worked great.

I will mess around with it, but right now I would rather move the stuff into the extra 330s

I will let you know how that goes

Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
carguy1994ca

Wedgewing,

I find it great that you fly with your son. I am trying to interest my daughter in RC planes with limited results so far. She is 9 yrs old, but I suspect that she prefer spending time with Dad rather than flying airplanes. But I am pleased when she come to the field with me. She is training with a Hobby Zone firebird freedom, wich is not ideal but Ok. I launch it and bring it to altitude, and she circles it for about 5 minutes.

The anti-crash technology secures her, but so far Dad managed to crash it a couple of times ( I had borrowed it )

Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
440GTX

Possible that I will have the 330s done by next weekend, as I have to finish the 260 3D first. I hope both fly really well. stay tuned
wedgewing. Any update on your 330s and 260 3d.

I am still flying my 330s. Its cool here but No Snow yet.
I have tried an APC 12X6 and 11X7.
I prefer the 11X7. OK Speed with Nice Vertical

Fred..
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 PM
wedgewing

440GTX

sorry that I have been delayedon my update and builds. Just completed both ( GP Extra 330s and the E Flite 260 3D ) over the last two days.

both are set up very similar to yours in the fact that I use only the Park 480s ( they work and I have had good results with them so why mess around?)

Only engine difference is that the 260 3D gets the 480 1020kv, and the 330s gets the 480 910kv

both have 40 amp e flite esc, and s-75 servos. I am using TP 2100 lipos in both. Castle/Berg 4 channel radio in the 330s (buddy box with my son) and the 260 3D has a spectrum AR6100 receiver and I am flying with the DX7. I am a little spooked about the AR6100 right now because I just lost my Mini Ultra Stick (for the second time) to the same receiver when about 7 minutes into the flight it just stopped talking to the radio and turned into a buzz bomb. You think I would learn the first time. Good news is that Horizon was very kind on the customer service end and stated that I should send in the receiver and if they could not find any issue, they would replace it anyway. I am like you, I 3D more on the simulator and I am sure will mess around with these as well. I am primarily going to sport fly them and just have a great time with two very nice looking airplanes

On to the builds. Overall, I enjoyed the 260 3D build more than the 330s ( just seemed quicker), or maybe my wife gave me more hell when I told her I was only "disappearing for 10 minutes to putz on the plane." With the 260 3D you could get most things done, but the 330s seemed to throw a new building challenge at me or something took longer than expected. Like another poster, I was surprised to find the 330s' rudder and elevator servo bodies touching bottoms and remedied it by placing a washer under each of the screw plates and tightening each side slowly so now my servos both fit even though they are apparently too tall.

The cowl on the 260 3D comes completed with a cooling hole. GP asks me kindly to "create a venting hole in the fiberglass cowl." Man, i hate cutting into the fiberglass cowls, just waiting for a nice chip to come off of paint. I complied and did the "extra work on my Extra." I also enjoyed the science experiment of having to create the cowl frame for the Extra 330s by aligning and gluing the wood frame into the cowl so it can be magnetically attached. I complied here as well. It is an interesting concept having the cowl attach this way instead of using screws as on the 260 3D. The benefit of screws on the 260 3D is the speed of installation, and also knowing you will "definitely" need to buy a new one if your plane bites the big one. I am left with only thoughts of what the 330s cowl's condition may be if I accidentally drill a fence post with the plane........

the finish on both is very nice, although I give the winner to the 260 3D as much of the cover film is wrinkled on the tail feathers and I had to do a lot of iron work to smooth out the wing covering. the 330s still is a very attractive plane and I am not going to notice any wrinkles while it is in the air.

I think the one thing that really bummed me out about the 330s was the linkage system. It is a very cool concept with the adjustable control horns on the carbon rods. They just don't stay tight with the tightening screw in place. I stopped pouting and used the closed end control horn that came with the hardware and put a little CA in the end and used 4 "heavy duty" screw lock connectors over the whole plane. I could not use micros because the carbon rod is just slightly larger than the hole diameter of micro connectors. I am not flying this plane in a gym, so I will not cry over the extra percentage of a gram these screw-lock connectors may add. I will feel better knowing that a hard maneuver will not pull a control surface out of trim.

I fly from grass and changed the wheels on both planes to MPI sport wheels. 3 inch on the GP 330s and 2.5 inch on the E Flite 260 3D. Once I get some airtime with them I may revisit the wheel pants. I have a set of dubro park flyer skis in case I have to maiden them with deicing fluid.

I will let you know how they fly as I plan to get them in the air before this week's big chill hits

Happy New Year everyone. If you have any other questions about the two planes and how the compare on builds, and flights let me know

KP

Old 12-29-2007, 04:26 PM
wedgewing

I forgot the pictures, sorry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12769.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	836602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56445.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	836603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46408.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	836604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49717.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	836605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50692.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	836606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34271.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	836607  
Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Valius

wedgewing

Thats great review, you have started!Cool pictures and smart build komments!I'd like these!Both planes look good.Wish them lucky flights :-))

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
carguy1994ca

Great pics Wedgewing

I found no problem with the stock wheels on our grass flying field, but the lawn is cut very short. No problem either with the control links. Hope you like the plane.

Happy new year !

Carguy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.