Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Cellpro Power lab 8 for pattern use

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cellpro Power lab 8 for pattern use

Hope this helps to explain the Power lab 8 and how it would be used for pattern (10S) charging. For this post, I will just speak as if you are charging the usual 5S packs that we use in pattern even though the charger will charge up to 8S packs.

The first different thing is that you can't charge a 10S pack at once (hard wired), but you can charge them as separate 5S packs at the same time. The nice thing with the Power lab is that it supports up to 1344 watts***if ***you have a 26+V power supply or 2 deep cycle batteries in series). With a 13V power supply or a single deep cycle, you will have 1/2 that available (672 watts). The benefit is that you can charge your normal 10S setup at very high rates if your packs support higher than 1C charge rate, OR you can daisy chain up to 9 packs so you could charge 4 sets of 10S flight batteries at once. The time savings when you get ready to go flying can be considerable vs charging 1 or 2 sets of batteries at a time

Setup for a single 5S pack is as shown here:

battery connected to the balance adappter and discharge lead attached - pretty standard set up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36981.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1549922  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Chris Moon

Default RE: Cellpro Power lab 8 for pattern use

The neat stuff comes next when you daisy chain another 5S pack in parallel with the "safe parallel adapters" and another discharge wire. In theory, you could charge this setup at the 40 amp maximum rate (20 amps into each battery) with the proper power supply.

So you can see that the potential is there to charge your packs at very high rates, or charge many packs at the same time. Either way, you can save a lot of charging time. To add more packs to charge, you would add another balance adapter to the daisy chain and add another discharge wire. And so on, and so on etc.

Pros:
fast charge
charge many packs at once
up to 40 amp discharge capacity
internal resistance readings

Cons:
need 26V available input to get maximum power from the system
cost to must buy extra daisy chain adapters and discharge leads if you charge many packs in parallel
initial cost of charger
inability to hard wire your 5S packs together

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98485.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1549929  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Have you downloaded the free software and plugged it into your computer yet? That's a pretty cool feature too. It makes selecting features easier and it also graphs the charge or discharge and allows you to save the graph for future refference. You can also watch the voltage of each cell as it balances them. It's pretty interesting if you've never done that. You can also charge each cell individually through the balance taps. I'm not sure the benefits of charging theough the taps other than knowing that each cell is getting exactly what it needs. I'm pretty happy with mine. parallel charging It really makes it handy when charging batteries for a plane that only uses a single battery pack. You get to use it like a pair of chargers. 
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Chris Moon

Hi Mike,

You can charge a single pack through the balance wires without the discharge wire but only up to 3 amps. Above 3 amps, or if you are paralleling packs, you need the discharge wires attached.

I particularly like the high discharge rate that is possible so you can break in new batteries at home for several cycles and have them ready to go when you take them out to the field. Many chargers will discharge but at a low rate like 2 amps which really does not do much and will take 2+ hrs with a 5000mah pack.

Granted, this thing is almost more expensive than 2 Cellpro 10S chargers so I would not call it a slam dunk winner - just another option for those who might like the extra features this charger has. Also consider that the new Thunder Power charger also is an 8S charger so it looks like if we want to take advantage of higher charge rates, we will need to be willing to keep our 5S packs separated and have a series adapter made up to connect them inside the plane.,
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

So if you daisy chain 5 packs it will give internal resistance for each of the packs?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
VerneK

Hi Chris,
If you were discharging two 5S packs at 10 amps each, where is the 20 amps going? That sounds like a lot of heat unless it's going to a lead cell battery or something which brings up the next question. Can you discharge at reasonable break-in rates like 20 amps or so with the system hookep up to a conventional power supply like the Iota 55? It certainly is an intriguing charger!

Verne

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

The neat stuff comes next when you daisy chain another 5S pack in parallel with the ''safe parallel adapters'' and another discharge wire. In theory, you could charge this setup at the 40 amp maximum rate (20 amps into each battery) with the proper power supply.

So you can see that the potential is there to charge your packs at very high rates, or charge many packs at the same time. Either way, you can save a lot of charging time. To add more packs to charge, you would add another balance adapter to the daisy chain and add another discharge wire. And so on, and so on etc.

Pros:
fast charge

Cons:
cost to must buy extra daisy chain adapters and discharge leads if you charge many packs in parallel
initial cost of charger

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: byoung466

So if you daisy chain 5 packs it will give internal resistance for each of the packs?
The average IR of all the cell #1's, cell #2's, etc will be given. The balance connectors for all the packs are connected in parallel, with only one set of balance leads connected to the charger.

I've been charging 6 packs at a time at about 25A. It's very convenient since you don't have to keep attaching new packs and then start the charge cycle over again.

The PL8 balances by throttling back the current to the higher voltage cells rather than bleeding off the higher voltage cells. I didn't have any luck with the the Thunder power balancers. I think they over heated and drove themselves out of calibration as they bled off the extra voltage.

You can see parallel adapter cables here..

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Chris Moon

Hey Verne,

Here is a clip from the instruction manual. To get max discharge capability, it needs to be connected to a lead-acid (car battery etc), but it will do 10 amps discharge when used with a power supply.

Regenerative discharge routes most of the energy from the pack being discharged back
into the Lead Acid battery powering the PowerLab 8. This feature is only available
when the PowerLab 8 is powered from a Lead Acid battery. Regenerative discharge supports
up to 40A, 1344W maximum.
Regenerative discharge
- Enable/disable regenerative discharge at the PowerLab 8 via Smart Power Management
for the supply battery.
- Enable/disable regenerative discharge, and set maximum discharge current and
maximum discharge voltage, in the CCS Supply tab. Remember also to set supply
battery low voltage cutoff and maximum output current for charge cycles.
PowerLab 8 automatically determines whether it is connected to a Lead Acid battery or
a DC power supply. If it detects a power supply, it switches to internal discharge (10mA
to 10A, 100W maximum).
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

I love the PL8. I have a power supply that puts out only 12.7v 34a, though I am still able to parallel charge 6 5s 4900 Rhino's from roughly 3.8v per cell in about an hour. Then, at the field, after a flight I parallel charge 2 packs in about 22min from 3.8v per cell. I really only need 2 sets of packs!! The really neat thing is that the packs actually cool down through the charge. FYI, with this power supply and 5s packs, the charger will deliver 18 amps to the packs. Also, I do not use the FMA daisy chain bits, just a parallel balance adapter and Deans adapter. Over 50 uneventful charges to this point.

There is a company that sells a 6p parallel board. This is a single board with 6 deans and balance adapters integrated into one unit. Take note that this piece is amp limited. I do not remember the number, but I thought you all should be aware that this charger can overload it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Good info Blake! Thanks for posting that!

Chris
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Chris Moon

I have been playing around with the charger and the computer link and I like the capabilities. I set up a memory to to do 2 cycles automatically. Charge at 10 amps and discharge at 40 amps into a deep cycle battery. Very nice. I need to play with the storage charge function next.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 AM
MachLoop
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

The neat stuff comes next when you daisy chain another 5S pack in parallel with the "safe parallel adapters" and another discharge wire. In theory, you could charge this setup at the 40 amp maximum rate (20 amps into each battery) with the proper power supply.

Pros:
fast charge

Cons:
initial cost of charger

I wanted to comment on the pros and cons.

The Powerlab 8, when using the same power supply as used to power two Cellpro 10s, is capable of charging 6 5S 5000 mah packs in parallel at 1C.(6.14 packs to be precise using the specsfor the IOTADLS-55 for the calculations). This was confirmed with FMA. So, the Powerlab 8 provides 50% more charge capacity without requiring purchase of an expensive power supply or augmenting an existing power supply. Yes, you do need to invest in theREVOLECTRIX Safe Parallel Adapters to do so safely and that constitutes additional expense.

This offsets the con of charger initial cost, shows its value without need for the high $$$ 26v power supply, and better defines the pro of being able to charge many packs at once.

Hope this helps. As one just getting into the e-thing, I decided to forego Cellpro 10s and pick up a Powerlab 8 based on the above.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

I just placed my order for one with Chris.
The thing about the charger that is attractive to me is being able to cycle/condition the
battery sets. Right now it's 12F here in NE Ohio so it'd be hard for me to set the plane out and
run the batteries. I've thought about hooking light bulbs, soldering irons and stuff up to load the
sets but I'm afraid I'd get distracted one day and over discharge them. This way it will be much
safer to do...especially running the charger thru a laptop and being able to monitor and change parameters.
I can see this thing easily paying for itself.

JLK
Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Mike Wiz

Lipos don't require cycling durring storage to remain in good condition. All they require is that you store them at 3.8v per cell. The PL8 has a feature for doing just that.

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

I just placed my order for one with Chris.
The thing about the charger that is attractive to me is being able to cycle/condition the
battery sets. Right now it's 12F here in NE Ohio so it'd be hard for me to set the plane out and
run the batteries. I've thought about hooking light bulbs, soldering irons and stuff up to load the
sets but I'm afraid I'd get distracted one day and over discharge them. This way it will be much
safer to do...especially running the charger thru a laptop and being able to monitor and change parameters.
I can see this thing easily paying for itself.

JLK
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
MarkGrabowski

Chris, how does this charger compare to the TP820CD that you offer?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM
jlkonn

Mike,
I have been told that it's best to go thru the same break in procedure after the long, winter storage as when
the sets are brand new.
I'd rather do it with something like the PL8 than ground running them in the plane or trying to make
3 or 4 short, slow flights with each set.
I had trouble "waking up" a couple of my sets last season.
I hope I can do better this Spring.
I guess "cycling" was the wrong term to use.
JLK
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Chris Moon

Hi Mark,

I don't have any of the TP820CD chargers yet to play (should be another 7-10 days) with but here is the data sheet released by Thunder Power. Basically, it is has 2 output channels each capable up to 400watts (at 26V input) and 1S-8S packs. You can combine both output channels together and charge up to a 16S pack so a hard wired 10S pack can be charged with the TP charger. Discharge is limited to 10 amps so that is 1/4 of the rate of the Power Lab. It looks like a nice improvement over the older 1010 charger with higher output and 2 output ports and balance charging. The balance adapters accept both Thunder Power connectors and JST-XH which are the Zippy/Rhino/Hobby King type. Another good option for sure.

TP data sheet:

The all-new TP820CD is the first ever dual port and the most anticipated, most powerful and most advanced multichemistry
charger, discharger, cycler and balancer system from Thunder Power RC yet! With up to 800 watts of total
charging power, nearly 4-times that of the ever-popular TP1010C, the TP820CD is equipped with two ports that function
completely independently to charge, discharge and cycle a wide variety of 1-8S LiPo, LiIon and LiFe (A123) batteries, as well
as 1-24 cell NiCd and NiMH along with 6-30V Pb (lead-acid) batteries. The built-in 2-8S LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123) cell balancers,
one for each port, and included balance connector adapter boards are readily compatible with all Thunder Power balance
connectors and the JST-XH balance connectors found on many other batteries.
The dual port TP820CD offers the convenience and flexibility of two separate chargers in a single yet incredibly compact
case as a result of its advanced power conversion technology and all-new Thunder Power RC exclusive design. Each port is
capable of charging at rates up to 20 amps, even simultaneously depending on input power and charge settings, offering
the ability to charge many of the latest-generation LiPo batteries at ultra-fast rates up to 6C and beyond. This means the
TP820CD is well-equipped to quickly charge batteries up to 8S on each port, as well as ‘split’ batteries equipped with
interconnect leads up to 16S by using both ports simultaneously.
Popular examples of the incredible charging capabilities of the TP820CD are the ability to charge two 5S 5000mAh batteries,
one on each port simultaneously at rates up to 4C, or two 6S 5000mAh batteries at rates more than 3C, to have a complete
10S or 12S 5000mAh battery setup charged in as little as 15 minutes or less time! That’s even faster than single port
chargers rated at higher current and wattage output, without the need for cumbersome parallel charging and an even more
powerful power supply, and without giving up the added convenience and flexibility that independent dual port charge,
discharge and cycling functionality offers. And because each port functions independently you can even mix and match
charge, discharge or cycling duties of a LiPo motor power battery and a NiMH transmitter battery, a NiCd receiver battery
and a lead-acid field box battery or just about any other combination you might have.
Additional features include built-in data logging and viewing on the large, class-leading and easy-to-read 48-character blue
backlit LCD screen, internal resistance measurement and an advanced Storage Mode function to automatically charge or
discharge LiPo/ LiIon/LiFe (A123) batteries as needed. Other great features also include dual computer-controlled cooling
fans and temperature protection, an attractive and extremely durable aluminum case, plus the ability to install future
firmware updates available for free download from www.ThunderPowerRC.com using a standard mini USB cable. Best of
all these incredible features are all available at a value that’s hard to beat while being fully supported and backed by
Thunder Power RC’s industry-leading 2-year warranty. © 2011 Thunder Power RC
Features:
 Powerful all-in-one dual port charger, discharger and cycler system with built-in LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123) cell
balancers that offer maximum safety, performance and easy-to-see individual cell voltages
 The included balance connector adapter boards (2pcs) allow the built-in balancers to be used with 2-8S Thunder
Power-compatible balance connectors as well as the JST-XH balance connectors found on many other brand
batteries from Align, Dynamite®, E-flite®, ParkZone® and more.
 Convenient and flexible dual (two) port design charges, discharges and cycles 1-8S LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123), 1-24
cell NiCd/NiMH and 6-30V Pb (lead-acid) batteries on each port independently or simultaneously
 More than double the charging power, up to 800 watts total (400 watts per port), of other similar class chargers
with selectable charge rates from 0.2 amps up to 20 amps for each port
 The perfect choice for safe and ultra-fast charging at rates of 3-6C and beyond for the latest-generation LiPo
batteries
 Charge two 5S or 6S 5000mAh batteries at rates up to 4C for 10S or 12S battery setup charge times of as little as
15 minutes or less* – even faster than single port chargers that require cumbersome parallel charging and a
more powerful power supply
 Advanced Storage Mode function for LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123) batteries will automatically charge or discharge as
needed to achieve storage level voltage
 24 user-programmable memories plus built-in data logging and viewing with internal resistance measurement,
battery voltage, input voltage, temperature and more
 Fully-adjustable charge capacity limit, per cell end voltage and low voltage cutoff settings for all chemistries to
maximize safety, charge and discharge performance
 Durable and compact aluminum case with dual computer-controlled cooling fans and a large, class-leading and
easy-to-read 48-character blue backlit LCD screen
 Wide input voltage range from 10.5-28.0V for higher efficiency and power output when using 24.0-28.0V power
supplies
 Adjustable output power distribution per port, input power current limiting and low voltage cutoff settings to
maximize performance while also protecting the charger and input power supply
 Future firmware updates can be downloaded for free from www.ThunderPowerRC.com when new features,
battery chemistry and other updates are made available and are easily uploaded to the charger using a standard
mini USB cable
 Full industry-leading 2-year warranty and support from Thunder Power RC
*With 24.0-28.0V input and depending on state of charge before charging begins © 2011 Thunder Power RC
Images and Captions
Adaptable Balancing
The built-in LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123) cell balancers and included balance connector adapter boards are readily compatible
with all 2-8S Thunder Power balance connectors and the JST-XH balance connectors found on many other batteries.
Capable Connections
Separate main power and balancer connectors allow for simultaneous charging and balancing at charge rates up to 20 amps
on each port while the programming connector can be used with a standard mini USB cable to install firmware updates.
Maximized Protection
The dual ports function completely independently, and with adjustable output power distribution, input power current
limiting and low voltage cutoff you can maximize performance of each while also protecting the charger and power supply.
Specifications:
Type: Dual Port Multi-Chemistry DC Charger/Discharger/Cycler with Integrated Balancers
Battery Cell Counts/Types (Per Port): 1-8S LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123), 1-24 cell NiCd/NiMH and 6-30V Pb (lead-acid)
Balancer (Per Port): Integrated for 2-8S LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123) with balance connector adapter board for Thunder Power
and JST-XH connectors
Input Power: 10.5-28.0V DC (40 amps max)
Charge Power: 800 watts max (400 watts max per port) w/24.0-28.0V input (see manual for additional information
regarding input and output power)
Charge Current (Per Port): 0.2 to 20 amps in 0.01 amp increments
Charge Voltage: 50% storage and adjustable end voltage for LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123), adjustable delta peak sensitivity and
end voltage for NiCd/NiMH and end voltage for Pb (Lead Acid)
Discharge Power: 100 watts max (50 watts max per port)
Discharge Current (Per Port): 0.2 to 10 amps in 0.01 amp increments
Discharge Voltage: Adjustable low voltage cutoff for LiPo/LiIon/LiFe (A123), NiCd/NiMH and Pb (lead-acid)
Cycles: 1 to 15 times with data stored for all cycles
Memories: 24 user-programmable
Firmware: User-updatable using USB
© 2011 Thunder Power RC
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Chris Moon

Hi Mike,

I think John (JLK) was referring to exercising (cycling) the batteries prior to use after long storage. A lot of the experts say that you should cycle packs again after a long storage just like breaking in a new pack. Automating this is a great feature of the Power Lab since you can do up to 40 amp discharge.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM
MarkGrabowski

Chris, on the new TP charger, does it charge through the balancing adapter or does it charge through the main wires and then concurrently bleed off excess voltage through the balance adapter?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Magne

How will the Cellpro charger handle parallel charging of two (or 3-6) packs that initially hold different voltages?
(I.e. if one pack is half full, and the other pack is almost empty.)
When these packs are parallel connected to the charger, what voltage will the charger see through the balancing taps?
Also, will all the power initially be fed into the lower voltage battery until this "catches up" with the other pack?

Magne
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Magne

When connecting packs in parallel the higher voltage packs will discharge into the lower voltage packs until the voltage is equal. Most people connect packs that are about the same state of charge and the same capapcity. Tests have been done with packs of widely different state of charge and even with batteries of different capacity without problems. Cellpro sells safety connectors which limit the current between packs, but most people are not using them. The balance connectors will also bleed the high voltage cells into the lower voltage cells. For instance all of the cell# 1's could end up at 3.75v, all the cell# 2's could end up at 3.73v, etc., until the charging begins.

RCGROUPS.com has a lot of info on parallel charging. The pattern community seems to be slow in adapting to parallel charging.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176112
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 AM
can773

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think we are slow in adopting parallel charging, simply that for this application until higher current output chargers were available there was little to no advantage in doing so.

Until recently most of the chargers were limited to 7-10A, but could do 10-14 cells in series, so it made more sense to series charge. For instance, the TP1010 was probably the most used charger, for a 10s 5000 mAh pack (x2 5s 5000), the time to charge in parallel or series is the same, but it is more work to make the pack ready to charge in parallel.

Likely with some advantage to be had, people will start parallel charging more.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Magne

Magne

When connecting packs in parallel the higher voltage packs will discharge into the lower voltage packs until the voltage is equal. Most people connect packs that are about the same state of charge and the same capapcity. Tests have been done with packs of widely different state of charge and even with batteries of different capacity without problems. Cellpro sells safety connectors which limit the current between packs, but most people are not using them. The balance connectors will also bleed the high voltage cells into the lower voltage cells. For instance all of the cell# 1's could end up at 3.75v, all the cell# 2's could end up at 3.73v, etc., until the charging begins.
OK, thank you for the reply and explanation.
(But, and I am not trying to be awkward or difficult, just trying to get to grips with the possibilities.)

Does this not mean that if for instance you want to parallel charge four packs (each 10s5Ah) at max power (40A total) INTENDING to get 10A into each pack (2C),
if one pack is at eg. 3.5V and the rest of the packs are at 3.7-3.8V, (could easily happen after flying) then not only will all the current (40A) go into the lower pack, but the higher packs will discharge into this pack as well, putting the total current even higher, until the voltage is equalised in all four packs?

Regards,
Magne
Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Mike Wiz

Magne,

It seems like your questions are technical enough in nature that maybe you would be best served by asking those questions in the FMA Direct  forum at RCG.  You can do that here.