Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Spark F3A, from Krill Models - SPAIN TEAM

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 PM
flyboy91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Spark F3A, from Krill Models - SPAIN TEAM

For those of you that are interested in the planes please contact Phillip Barnnett. He will be more than happy to help you out get a plane.
His email is [email protected]

I think it may be just enough rudder servo but I'm not sure yet. Kidding...

As far as the airplane goes this is by far the best rolling, snapping, and spinning airplane I have flown. I have flown Integrals, Passports, and many others and this one seems to just be one notch better.

I have been working on CG, Thrust angle, and throws. Now I have them all figured out I'm flying with about 2 percent rudder to elevator mix and no roll coupling. On the downlines I just checked tonight and I'm at 1 percent downline mix.

With the extremely tall fuse the airplane does not drop the tail in knife edge flight. It still takes rudder in order to hold knife edge just doesn't drop the tail like most. The snaps of this plane is where it stands out. With the cut back wingtips it starts and stops snaps extremely quick. My wings are 17 ounces ready to fly but they have no signs of interia in the air.

The quality of the Krill is pretty awesome. This is my second Krill and the quality just keeps getting better and better. If you guys would like I can take more detailed pictures.

Andrew

Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyboy91

If you guys would like I can take more detailed pictures.

Andrew

Andrew
Of the inside of the fuse Andrew if you can :-)Curious how they do their layups.

Chad

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
flyboy91

Here you go Chad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54995.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1211587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28735.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1211588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79922.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1211589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86308.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1211590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16401.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1211591  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:34 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the newer version a lot better.I find theplane a look that kind ofgrows on you.
I agree with you Andrew about the snaps and spins. I've been watching Dave Snow fly his all springit looks great in the air.
Kudo's to Krill for an innovative design. Mike
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM
joenella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyboy91

Here you go Chad.
One small thing I have done to improve the strength in the nose.

Name:	Xu62551.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1212247  
Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM
woodie

For those of you flying outrunners in your Spark, how about some pix of your mounting approach?

thanks
Woodie
Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 AM
joenella

ORIGINAL: woodie

For those of you flying outrunners in your Spark, how about some pix of your mounting approach?

thanks
Woodie
Here you are:

http://krill-model.com/download/spar...stalengine.htm

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
woodie

thank you for the pictures. If you follow the pictures, it appears over time that carbon cloth was added to the entire nose instead of 2 horizontal strips coming back from the nose. Any idea if those were added by the builder or has the Spark 'evolved' to include the carbon cloth reinforcement in the nose?

Woodie
Old 06-07-2009, 11:58 AM
sd_raptor

Andrew,

Where is your CG?

I am also building a Spark and only need to get a good idea of the CG before the maiden.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM
joenella

Woodie.

The first pictures shows my PROTOTYPE which where the last one before production.
The carbon cloth in the nose is something that has evolved at the factory.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
joenella

Randy

I have my CG just on the wingtube edge.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM
sd_raptor

ORIGINAL: joenella

Randy

I have my CG just on the wingtube edge.

Joe, just to make sure that I understand: your CG is at the leading edge of the wingtube?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
sd_raptor

Here are a couple of pics of my setup with:

Neu 1515/3D 6.7:1 HD gearbox
CC HV-85 ESC
20x12E Mejzlik Prop
2 ea Flightpower EVO 5350 F3A batteries

This combo flies my 11.5 pound Extreme Flight Yak-54 twice through IMAC Sportsman routine with plenty of power and battery life to spare. So the same setup should fly the lighter and more aerodynamic Spark with no problems. The motor attached to the front firewall using a piece of 3/16 ply with 1/8 inch neoprene between the ply and the firewall. In the pic showing the back of the motor, the support in the rear is the optional Hacker motor mount from Krill with some wire hangers used as spacers until I find the right thickness neoprene to make spacers. The back mount is quite nice since it allows a good range of movement for possible thrust angle adjustment.

Hitec HS-7955TG for rudder and ailerons
Hitec HS-5245MG for elevators

I also have but did not install an MK elevator bellcrank. I left a servo pocket open behind the rudder servo if I ever decide to try that option. Also, rather than run two 3-wire servo leads to the rear, I made up a 4-wire cable terminated into two plugs at each end so that I can program the servos with the horizontal stabs installed to get the best possible matching. The 4-wire cable has two leads for power and one lead for the signal to each servo. Pull rigging uses crossed Kevlar lines, rather than straight like Flyboy91. This moves the exit from the fuse back about 2cm closer to the leading edge of the horizontal stabs.

JR R-2000 SPCM receiver
2s-1300 Fullymax LiPo with CC-BEC set for 6 volts

All up weight is right at 11.00 lbs. I can lose a couple of ounces by going to a smaller LiPo to feed the BEC, or by switching out the metal gear servos in the elevators for plastic geared servos, or by replacing the elevator servos with a single servo in the fuse coupled with the bellcrank. I could also use the Neu F3A motor or switch to another 1515/3D motor with the lighter 6.7:1 gearbox, which is now installed in the Yak.

Name:	Yw66878.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	1213862   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42881.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1213863  
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
flyboy91

Randy,

My CG is about 1/4 behind the back of the wingtube. This seems to be the best feeling for me in all aspects of flight. Granted this is personal preference but it is a good starting point.

Andrew

Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
sd_raptor

Andrew,

Thanks! I will start there and report back to the group. That position for CG will put my batts directly over the langing gear bulkheads. Also, that position is consistent with roughly 25-30% MAC.

Coincidentally, your plane is the same color scheme as mine - nice choice

Randy
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
flyboy91

Randy,

It is a great color scheme. I will be going to the airport today to pick up my custom scheme ones!!! really excited about that.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 AM
GiMsAcE

Hi Andrew,

I`am thinking of going to E-power and have been looking for a plane that could be competitive for the upcoming FAI(P-11,F-11) sequences and honestly thought that the Spark wasallitle outdatedfor the new schedules as it beeing in the marketfor almost 4 years now but looks like i have to rethink that lol.

What made you choose(flying wise)to campaign the Spark for 2009 and supposedly the Worlds in Portugal later this year in August?.

Do you think that the Spark having those special design wing tip leading edges has an advantage in snaps and spins and rolling maneuversas you stated in a phew earlier posts over the Integral and other planes that you flew before?.

How does the Spark handle crosswind situation as we basicallyhave to fly every weekends in crosswind?.

Please post pictures of yourcustom schemes when you get them?.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
flyboy91

The reason I'm flying the Spark is I feel in my personal opinion it is the best airplane to date I have flown. It has excellent rudder authority for all the rolling maneuvers and a great look in the air. The wings really help with Snaps. For me this is the best snapping airplane that I have flown. It starts and stops right when you want it to, this is even with them being heavier than foam wings.

As far as the plane in crosswind I would say that I have not found it hard to keep a line. The rudder is very effective on the Spark so you have to get used to giving just a little bit of rudder at a time.

I have attached a picture of the plane at the factory.

Name:	Sq48341.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1215033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je100000.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1215034  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
GiMsAcE

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply really helpful,the Spark will be absolutelly be on top of my list for my E-conversion.
Looks like a very interesting plane although it doesn`t seem to be a very popular airframe in the US?.

I wasn`t that interested in the Spark till now that you gave your observationon the flying qualities of the airframe.If it`s good enough for you..!!! it must be a great flying plane.

BTW your scheme looks awesome thanks for postingand we hope to hear the flight report.

I hope someone can make some videosof the 2009US Natslike the ones they taped in 2007 inMunciethat were posted in the District 4 website?.Of you flying the Spark and the other finalists,that would be great!!.

Regards.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw the spark fly last weekend.

Very nice! I have to get one!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
sd_raptor

Chief Aircraft http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/Models/Model.html is now a U.S. distributor of the entire Krill line of airplanes, including the Spark. When I decided to buy a Spark, I tried to get in touch with Phillip Barnett several times by phone and email and received no response. I got in touch with Ivo Kryl at the factory, and made all the arrangement to get the plane to the U.S. After several very nice and helpful email from Ivo, and after having several pleasant dealings with Chief Aircraft, I recommended to Ivo that he contact Chief to see if they were interested in carrying his planes. 

Chief has a container of Krill airplanes, including some Sparks, on its way from Czechoslovakia, arriving around the end of June.I suspect that if you want to get one of these, then you should contact Chief soon.

I am not sponsored or otherwise beholden to any manufacturer or their reps. My opinions are completely independent.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: sd_raptor

Chief Aircraft http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/Models/Model.htmlis now a U.S. distributor of the entire Krill line of airplanes, including the Spark.
I contacted Chief last week about the Spark. They do not carry it but will special order it.

When I decided to buy a Spark, I tried to get in touch with Phillip Barnett several times by phone and email and received no response. I got in touch with Ivo Kryl at the factory, and made all the arrangement to get the plane to the U.S. After several very nice and helpful email from Ivo, and after having several pleasant dealings with Chief Aircraft, I recommended to Ivo that he contact Chief to see if they were interested in carrying his planes.
Same experience here. I have found the people at Krill to be very responsive. Iam about to pull the trigger on the yellow color scheme.

Chief has a container of Krill airplanes, including some Sparks, on its way from Czechoslovakia, arriving around the end of June.I suspect that if you want to get one of these, then you should contact Chief soon.
Again this is not what they told me last week. Very confusing.

Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Krill Models

Bill,

The Spark will be available under special order only, we at Chief Aircraft Inc. won’t stock the plane just due to the fact that it’s expensive and out of the normal lineup of airplanes that we stock, I’ve emailed the factory and I’m waiting a production schedule and costs. I’ll advise once they contact me.

Thanks for your interest.

Dana Blix

-
Dana Blix
Chief Aircraft Inc.
Phone: 541-476-6605 x4019
[email protected]

Old 06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
lyka

Hi Flyboy....great job !!!!!...

With regard to fly cross-wind, we had our doubts when deciding whether to opt for the original design ...
Experience after more than 350 flights showstheir behavior is very good, and basically do not copy the unstable areas of differences in air pressure (in summer, essentially)

Comments from pilots who first appreciated the quality of flight, emphasizing the high stability in adverse conditions of strong winds.

This year will fly in WC Portugal at the hands of my son, the pilot.

For the moment, in Spain are already 4 Spark flying in competition.

greetings to all.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
flyboy91

The airplanes have made it to my house. It was a little bit of fun trying to get them out of customs but after all the calls it was well worth the wait.
I got 2 airplanes which are very similar. The big difference is the canopies. One of which is the black carbon the other the tinted blue. I will get another blue and carbon to make sure I have spares for the worlds.

Pics attached...

Name:	Tr50464.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1215382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77030.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1215383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28243.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1215384  
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
sd_raptor

Andrew,

great color scheme - should be very visible in flight and attract plenty of attention on the ground. Must be nice to have some artistic ability!

Like you I had an interesting time at customs: they could not seem to comprehend why I would buyanother plane when I already had more than 10.Being that the Customs officer was a woman, I considered asking how many pairs of shoes she owned but since she was wearing a gun, I used discretion. After copying my AMA card, club membership cards in two local clubs, looking the clubs up on the internet,and grilling me for two hours, they let me pay my $9 processing fee and get my plane. To complicate matters I did not bring my invoice from Krill showuing the price in dollars and only had the bill of lading with the price in Czech currency that was more than 10 time the price in dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.