Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa Model Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Woody 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

Just remember to emery the paint finish off the fuselage where the wings butt up against the fuselage sides, before applying the epoxy.

Some have neglected to do this and paid the penalty as the wings parted company.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
zagimon

I recieved everything that is sold at hobby lobby as recommended for the mig-15 on july 31. I basically got what is recommended by hobby-lobby. The motor, is a 25/25-26 and has perfect shaft size to fit other components. I followed the instructions to the bone and did not see this forum till today. I will keep u posted on the wings coming off. I think that people who are losing wings are not using the UHU foam glue. The instructions say to use epoxy only as a last resort. I am waiting on the 3 cell li-poly. I will keep u posted on the flight results.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM
zagimon

my kit came with a small tube of glue
Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zagimon

Please keep us updated! I have the kit and am waiting for all the 'rest of the "stuff" to show up at my door from Hobby Lobby. Hobby-Lobby sent me 5 min Epoxy, is this no good? I opted for the $30 pack of goodies which inlcudes connectors and glue. still have not seen the Foam glue yet as it is back ordered, I also ordered the recommended Motor etc, everything less the Radio since I already have that.

Let me know how it goes, I will start building soon...
Old 08-04-2004, 10:40 PM
HelicopterKid
My Feedback: (1)

That Bird looks BAD*****.I wish i had ebough money for one.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:58 AM
zagimon

I think im going to use the most visible sticker config. on this plane. I would recommend that to anyone who likes flying upside down at high altitudes.
I'm still waiting on the 1320 li-poly. Cant believe that is the last thing. I placed my order for everything on july 9. Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.
I scratch build with correx and have a viper twin that is almost 2 years old and never bought the farm with that plane , which i know will be destroyed. I fly my fragile planes like u see rich people driving Porsche's. Always very carefully and with much vigilance during take offs and landings. Experience is an important factor in keeping your wings on a plane. Make sure to never change Ur throws unless u are extremely aware of the plane. Don't get me wrong. I know a guy who can make
flying wings indestructible; who will pull 100 mph dives and yank the stick back at 10-20 ft. The mig-15 is not one of these. Expect to do wider loops with this plane when hauling ass and just try to treat it like a Ferrari.

Building tips. If u want the angle of insidence on the wings to be correct with out bending. Glue them to the top portion of the fusalage. If you place in the middle, they will hit the ground and your flying a rocket. Fillets still fit perfectly. U may still need to adjust the position for correct anhedral and incidence. Prefit everything several times caus that UHU has a instant bond almost and use alot of epoxy on the spar and the gap in the mating hole. U can fill mating hole after wings are attached.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:51 AM
CaptRKO

forgive my ignorant questions.....

What is PU glue and UHU? HUH? I didn't understand about the wings, looks like you slide in the metal spar and glue the wings on? Is it more difficult than that? Hobby Lobby sent me 5 min Epoxy, and Foam safe glue, will I need anything else?

Anybody in the Olrando/Ocala Florida area just wnat to build this thing for me? SO I don't screw it up? LOL!

Thanks in advance.....
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 PM
zagimon

UHU is glue that came with the accessory pack and is from like europe. not sure what the equiv is in the US. PU is polyurithane glue. Just make sure if u use the UHU glue that u do get the wing in the right place , because the glue attaches real quick. Almost instant. Just use the epoxy for attaching the joiner. Basically anything foam to foam , use UHU. Anything wood to metal or wood to foam, or plastic to foam, use epoxy. PU is just for attaching joiner insice the verticle tail. I just used epoxy for that. The PU fills gap inside tail easeir but epoxy seemed pretty easy for me and it has same strength.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:01 PM
zagimon

correction. I used the UHU to attach the hor. tails, making sure to rotate 90 degrees to spread the glue evenly. That seems to be the pref. in the instructions.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:03 PM
CaptRKO

Cool man, thanks for the info. Still waiting for all the parts to arrive!

Can't wait to fly this thing, do you guys recommend the Hand Launch test without power? I would think add power and go, just like any other mode. Seems like the directions talk about several dead stick hand launches.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:16 PM
zagimon

If your a newer pilot and have under a year maybe 2. Yes. Make sure your radio equip is proberly configured. Mixing on and left and right ailerons and that the elevator is functioning. I,ve seen pilots with new planes go out and crash on takeoff because of improper configs. In other words , do a flight check. I do this every time I fly.

I know that im not going to dead stick my plane on its maiden flight. But it has the brushless and plenty of power makes takeoffs so much easier.

Deff dont do the ROG.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:37 PM
CaptRKO

Been flying for 20 years, Pattern, IMAC, scale etc. First Electric Jet, well second if you count a GWS A-10. Never build just fly. Anyway I will go for a Hand launch Power on test flight, I am going brushless as well but don't want to ding the thing up on the ground during T/O.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:59 PM
zagimon

Im still waiting on battery.

Cant wait to fly.
Calling Hobby Lobby tommorow.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45 PM
zagimon

Man, just went out and flew the plane today. It was sure fun. Hand launch went perfect as I had to apply up trim to keep her from going up. The 1320 pack seemed to fly forever. Did allot of maneuvers. I will time the next time. You can cruise this baby around at 1/4 throttle all day long and the landing was 3 skips on the grass/dirt field I fly on. Could have touched and gone on maiden flight. Don't tell my wife , but I think I'm in love.

Fly Tough
Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 PM
the Swamp Fox

Hi all,

I spend most all my time on that "other site" y'all mention often

Congrats to all fellow MiG flyers !

maidened mine on 6-29 ...

been flying it hard ever since...

Great little jet! Huge loops, tight crisp rolls, invert,etc all a blast. I especially love the power-off glide .

This is one bird that doesn't want to come down ...

If Ya flown it ya know what I mean

g'luck ,
-SF
Old 08-22-2004, 11:19 AM
zagimon

Hey fellas ,

I made the mistake of routing my antenna around the exhaust tube of the plane and it created an electromagnet field, which messed up the range.
Usually my 555 receivers will fly my planes almost out of site, but not this time. My mig lost range around 300 - 400 feet and went nose down probably 50 -60 mph. Needless to say, the wings stayed perfectly attached, but the nose got smashed in pretty good. I already ordered another mig and plan on routing antena out of a wing or something. Any suggestions would be nice. I love the plane and it has received allot of attention at the flying field.

Fly tough
Old 08-23-2004, 08:24 PM
CaptRKO

Fella's

Not being an electric geek and spending almost $400 bucks on this thing already, I am not too impressed with the instructions (they are completely GREEK to me!) I bought the whole deal from Hobby Lobby I have no idea what UHU glue is nor do I really care!

Question for the group...

Anyone want to assemble this thing for me? I just want to fly, I would require some references and be willing to $$ pay the individual. I will ship the kit to wherever, I will include the stuff Hobby Lobby sent me (Glue, connectors, epoxy etc)

Any takers??? E-mail me via [email protected]

Thx's!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:12 AM
the Swamp Fox

Zagimon,

Sorry 'bout your crash ...

I use an electron 6 rx.

The antenna is routed up through a hole aft the cockpit and anchored into the vert stab.with one of those little hardware packets specifically designed for antenna routing in this fashion.
Put a LOT of flights on this one,no worries.

Good luck !
Old 08-26-2004, 03:08 PM
zagimon

Thanks for the info. I'll do the same thing u did. Sounds like a good idea. I should be recieving mig in a few days. " The second time is a Charm "

Fly tough
Old 08-29-2004, 02:17 PM
joe123

too bad, its a great plane. my 2nd one should be here anyday, lost a wing in midair, nose dive. What have you all that have had 15+ flights on it so far done to strengthen the wing? I have some ideas on what to do, just want to see what is working for others. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:16 PM
the Swamp Fox

Hey Joe,

I've about 40-50 flights on mine...Details on my wing mount procedure "over there"

Nothing special or diffficult...

best of luck
Old 09-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Woody 51

I see that Alfa have finally posted an addendum/warning on their company website about preparing the surface for mounting the wings to the model.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:25 PM
zagimon

Sorry to hear about your mig. I used JB weld to attach the wing to the stab and man it will never break. It takes a good 12 hours to dry but has the best hold ive ever seen. I lost my first mig to a bad reciever. Thought it was the way the antenna was routed but my second mig crashed also even after routing antenna differently. Luckily I was in a high grass field and just had a little nose damage. Replaced reciever with one of my other 555's that i had and have been flying happily. Cant believe the reciever was malfunctioning.
Just my luck.

Fly tough
Old 09-05-2004, 10:24 PM
the Swamp Fox

Whew ~!

Close one !

ok 3rd time's a charm

Jbweld= good stuff

keep the wings on,
-SF
Old 09-05-2004, 10:37 PM
zagimon

Just one more thing, I have a LiPo 1500 3 cell which puts the plane at 469 grams. I'm using a 25/25-26 and saw on the box that the max load is 450 grams , does this apply to the stock setup ( 300 motor ) or should i stick with the 1320 Lipo that i have which puts the plane under 450 grams.

Anyone know if the 25/25 - 26 will fly this plane at 469 grams?

Fly Tough......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.