Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa Model Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:50 PM
zagimon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

I have the 25/25 26 mk2 and use a 1320 lipoly and a 1500 kokam and get around 7 to 10 min depending on flying full throttle or 1/2 throttle. I've always flown full and then tappered down so i havent tried to see how long I can keep plane in the air.

Fly Tough,

Zagimon
Old 10-06-2004, 05:47 AM
Woody 51

Thanks Zagi,
Tell me, have you had any problems with overheating with this motor in the ALFA EDF unit?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 PM
CaptHal
My Feedback: (10)

Hi All,
Just finished my Mig15. Made some Mods. Andy Steere website has some great ideas. One is that I bought a graphite rod that is exactly the same size as the root wire (Shape of a U) that would slide over it. I epoxied the graphite rods I cut into two into wings and added some Gorilla Glue around the outside of the shaft. I epoxied the U wing joiner into plane with graphite tubes sliding over the top. No flex at all and added a few grams. All-Up weight is 18 ounces. I actually punched small holes where wing joins fuse and used epoxy there too.
I am using LiPoly's and an eFlight 370 Brushless.
First flight this weekend. Boy does it sound wild!

Hal
Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 PM
iflyprops

What is the URL for Andy Steere's site?

Sounds like you really beefed the 15 up, make sure you let us know how the maiden flight goes!!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Woody 51

Interesting.

My TA183 HUCKEBIEN is now flying on a brushless motor. (MPJET 25-025/26 Mk 2) on 3 Lipoly cells. The EDF unit is the upgraded 60/15. Exactly as the ALFA Mig is intended to be powered by the factory. It now has identical speed to a MIG which is powered by the same motor and fan unit.

It is constructed exactly as per what came in the kit. No carbon rods etc in the wing, though I did use heaps of epoxy with a little "Great Planes milled fibreglass" mixed in, on the wing joins and made sure that there were plenty of pinholes in the fuse sides at the wing butt point and that the paint had been removed with fine grit emery paper.

I did have some concerns about the strength of this join, but so far they have proven totally unfounded.

Same with another guy ("what..the?" )who contributes to this forum occasionally and with who I comunicate with privately.

He installed a HIMARK 2025-5300 Brushless in his TA183. At 5300 RPM per volt, it is 1400 RPM per volt MORE than my MPJET motor.

His TA183 goes like a rocket. No problems with the wing joins, also just attached with heaps of Epoxy, to a well prepared surface and using the same braces/joiners that Alfa provided in the kit.

Now I'm probably going to attract a heap of comments, both positive and negative here, but so what. Lets throw this discusion open a little more and get people thinking. Here goes.

"..what..the" once commented privately to me ..." I think some of us get a little too carried away with minimising weight in electrics and go too sparingly with the glue.." I added, " ..Yes and with disasterous results. And we then blame the kit manufacturer for a weak design...!"

Although weight is and will always be, an issue in any branch of our hobby, I sometimes wonder whether some are still too rigidly following the rules of electric flying that were laid down in the days of brushed motors and heavy, low duration, battery cells.

Now an extra 2-3 grams of glue, which is quite a bit, really doesn't make any difference in performance to the finished model, but could make a difference as to whether it stays together.

I see retired, former glow powered, 1/2A pylon racers now fitted with AXI 2200 series brushless motors and MPJET OUTRUNNERS. They fly beautifully.

These models are bigger and a lot heavier than our little Alfa Foamies and still have quite a turn of speed (much quicker than our foamies) and excellent vertical, using the same sized motors that we use!

So the motors can handle it.

If weight still concerns you, then maybe remove that 25 gram Hitec 555 Mini Rx, (which I have seen used in some of the early reviews of Alfa models) and pop in a 14 gram Shultze Alpha Rx or JR 610M! Or one of the even lighter BERG Rx's at 9 grams!

The weight saved, (15 grams = 1/2 an ounce as a guide) equals a lot of glue!

Now before you go calling up the reply function to bag me.. please check out "what..the's" TA183 in action. (It does the ground take off thing as well.)

Go to

www.cmfc.rchomepage.com/EIII

then goto the" hucksmall video" and download and see for yourself.

(about 10.6MB zipped.)

or

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1588044

Read the threads and see how his model progressed.

It is almost identical to the Mig in design and construction.

The model is still in action and the wings are still attached!

Then by all means, comment. Thanks guys.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Now the Andy Steer page.

His instructions are excellent if you are really going to soup up the MIG with a motor far in excess of what Alfa designed the model for. (which was the MPJET 25-25/26 Mk 2)

And he does give a good solution to solving the problems of motor overheating in the ALFA 60/15 EDF unit.

Trouble is that with the MPJET 25-25/26 being a fatter motor than the one Andy uses, even the holes drilled at the front of the EDF unit as he suggests, do not solve the cooling problem with the 25-25/26!

The snuggness of the fit of the MPJET motor does not allow air to flow inside the case from the holes drilled as per his guide..

The answer is, Drill the holes where Andy suggests and then use a Dremel tool with a routing bit, to lightly route a narrow channel INSIDE the motor casing from the inside rear edge of the hole right to the rear of the casing, past the rear end of the motor. (The MPJET 25-25/26 is shorter than a Speed 300)

I drilled 8 holes around the casing front as per Andy's suggestion and then cut 8 slots on the inside to the rear with my Dremel.

I also removed the rear of the after casing as per Andy's method.

To check out if the channels are sufficient, INSTALL THE MOTOR, leave the rear after casing off and then hold the unit up so that there is a strong light behind it.

You should be able to see the light through the holes.

I now have excellent motor cooling and a big problem solved.

N.B. If you have one of the older Hucks, fitted with the original Mk1 Alfa fan unit and want to upgrade the motor, 1st junk the old fan unit and replace it with the new 60/15 EDF's before you pop in ANY brushless motor. The new fan unit drops straight in.

Now to tackle a MIG!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:53 PM
matthewh

Anyone know where I can download a FMS model of the MIG-15?

Matthew
Old 10-08-2004, 02:37 AM
the Swamp Fox
My Feedback: (1)

Matthew , not that I know of.

Woody,
I use Tanic 3s 1500 /1550 's with the mpj mkII .Sorry, ya asked that awhile ago .

And you're right ,there is a lot of hopped-up little migs out there.One fellow runs a lehner / vasa 65 / 3s 2200's

280 watts + clocked @ 98 mph *whew*

the himaxx motors do well in these as the model motors mini-ac etc.etc.
------------------------------------------

I dusted off the ole Mig this evening...

lucky I remembered that I stole the x-tal out of 'er before leaving

I had a longish drive to a sod farm, grass at my "home" field is way too tall so it's landing gear off dirt road there only now.

weather was cooler ...finally

went through a couple packs . 2 5-6 minute flights a piece.

mananged a few skip and goes off the perfect turf.

I mostly just hugged the deck at 3-5' and swept drawn out turns around the field

too fun.
G'luck all

P.S. If you're looking for a second jet ,you have to get the HET F-18.
fast,easy assembly, great design, good price ($165 with fan). built up balsa pre-covered arf .

I have a wemo minifan , mega 15/16/2 Tanic 3s2p 4300 in mine. Will maiden in a couple days.

HEHE, think there's an ad for one at the top of the page.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Woody 51

Thanks Swampy,

I just ordered a Grumman F9F Panther from "Stumax" models

http://www.stumaxaircraft.com/

Vasa 55 and Hacker 2012L or 2015L. Probably a 3S1P 1800Ma/H Lipoly pack.

All I gotta do now is build myself foot operated catapault launcher.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 AM
iflyprops

let us know how it looks when you get it, I have a love affair with the panther/cougar and was looking at the same kit.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:52 AM
the Swamp Fox

Nice Woody !

Love the Korean era jets. just got hold of a 47" T-33 (old Kyosho)

Wemo 609 / aveox rc7

My F-18 is almost flight ready,just testing/tweaking now.
We made up a new thrust tube from clear,stiff mylar. Way better than the stock cardboard one included. More thrust ! + looks very cool .Wthout the battery IN the plane I can hold it by the nose and it will hover

Panther is one of my favs . The ducting on that Stumax kit looks nice !
Nice video,bet you can prolly handlaunch it . Let us know how she goes !

Got plans for a launcher? I have a link or 2 for construction.

good luck !

Oh yeah on topic

MiG 15 still going strong !
Old 10-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Woody 51

Stu at STUMAX makes his kits to order.

For the Panther he recommends the VASA 55 Mini fan and Hacker 2012L or 2015L.

It is designed to be catapault launched.

The wind that was blowing the day that he took the video of the prototype in action, was 15 -20 knots.

I found a relatively easy to build plan for a catapult over at E-Zone. It's made from PVC plumbing pipe.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:11 PM
the Swamp Fox

Woody,

Just finished my Cat ...

Using an Ultrafly Hawk for testing...

Works very well !

3 uneventful launches yesterday..well the second, my canopy blew off

here's me first cat launch

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/500/24569HawkII.WMV

Good luck !
Old 10-15-2004, 04:55 PM
zagimon

Hey Swamp fox,

Man that plane freaking rocks. What make is it and what do you have "under the hood" e.g. kind of motor and battery. I just got the mig-15 a couple of months ago and have flown it about 40 times and still loving it. I have the 25/25 26 mk11 and use 1320's and 1500s. It’s been a wonderful plane. I had an encounter though , but it was my fault. I had a 1320 battery incident where I crossed the wires while testing the voltage with a voltmeter. Just barley a second and noticed the battery getting super hot. I cooled it down and it seemed to hold a charge. Well I used the battery around maybe 8 flights and all of a sudden it went dead while around 100 ft. It went dead so quickly that the servos didn’t move and I had just straightened her out so the plane had a nice little tail wind and glided to around 300 feet to the ground. Flew right over a 5 lane highway
I couldn’t see it land but it barley had any nose damage. Dam lucky, that’s all I know. I'm hooked on EDF and nice job on your new plane. She fly's nice.

Fly Tough…..

Zagimon
Old 10-15-2004, 05:31 PM
the Swamp Fox

Hey Zagi,

It's an Ultrafly Hawk... pusher jet...Using it for Bungie launch training before slinging my $$$$ edfs . It has an axi 2212/20 Tanic1500 7x5 in the vid.
I then used a 1550 with a 9x6 and that was more like it ...Honestly though, I don't really like the plane..

Congrats on the MiG flights ! It truly is a great flying plane.

*WHEW* Ya dodged a bullet on that "free-flight descent "
Glad all is well ...man that's scary!

Continued G'luck
Old 10-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Woody 51

Swampy, Your Cat Launcher looks just like the one I am going to build.

The Hawk seems to go ok. What don't you like about the model?

I also have Multiplex Micro Jet pusher. It flies nicely but launching it is a curse. It definitely needs a Cat Launch. Cat Launching is probably the answer to getting those mongrel Wattage EDF's airborne as well. I don't have a throwing arm like an Olympic Javelin Thrower.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:12 AM
the Swamp Fox

OK I stiffened up the HAWK wing and have about 7 or 8 trouble-free cat launches under my belt so far . Starting to warm up to the Hawk now

On topic :

Mig-15 still operational
Old 10-22-2004, 03:36 AM
Woody 51

The Oz distributor for ALFA is flying a MIG 15 with a Mega Motor brushless installed. (I'm trying to find out which one. Will post as soon as I have the info)
The motor is spinning the fan unit at 60,000 rpm and the model has unlimited 90 degree vertical.
It sounds like it has a model turbine installed, rather than an EDF.
He has to be careful of the "C" rating of the Lipoly pack installed.
The cheaper "Etec" ones can't handle the current draw and die after 1 flight.
He is using the new KOKAM "20C" packs successfully.
ESC is a 25 amp MGM unit.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Woody 51

Got the info (ref my post above)

He's using a MEGA 16/7/3 and 18 Amp Jeti Advance. ESC.

He commented ...quote......" This setup was not easy to to assemble. I had to ream the inside of the EDF body and at the end of it all there was not much material left. Frankly, when combined with the initial battery problems, I wouldn't go through the exercise again.

The MPJET 25-25/16 Mk 2 gives the model quite adequate performance with far fewer hassles....." end of quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
blue action

Hi All,

just ordered the Mig from Hobby-Lobby ... Here's a question: one servo for both ailerons or one for each?

Instinctively I would use one for each side, but the Hobby-Lobby configuration seems to indicate the use of one servo for both wings/ailerons (recommended RC [which I did not buy]) comes with two servos and I guess you need one for elevator and the other one for ailerons. But one for both? Sounds wrong to me. But I could be wrong.

Opinions?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:02 AM
Woody 51

The Alfa Factory Instructions say only 1 micro servo and their prototype also only used 1.
However if your going to use a Brushless motor and Lipoly Battery Packs, the weight saving will more than compensate for a 2nd servo if you want to use one.
It's a matter of personal choice, whatever you feel more comfortable with.
Keep us all posted as to how you find the kit and how the model flies. We're all interested.
So far the feedback is more positive than negative. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:32 AM
blue action

Interesting that the Alfa guys built it with one ailerons servo- thanks for the hint. I haven't decided yet, but I tend to go with one servo for each. Maybe it is worthwile using them as flaperons this way for landing? I have positive experience with that on my hotliner.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 PM
the Swamp Fox

hey Blue,

Sure you can use 2 aileron servos and mix some flaperons.

I only use a single hs-55
Roll rate is good and once you learn to bleed the speed ,it will land VERY slow,so you don't NEED flaperons but hey ,might be fun

Here's my video from a couple days ago....

www.southcarolinacoastalmagazine.com/mig15.wmv

This is one nice,easy flying little jet... maidened mine back in June
65+ flights

good luck
Old 11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Woody 51

Swampy,
Turning back a bit, to the subject of Cat Launchers. How did you arrive at the correct amount of bungee tension for your Hawk?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:38 PM
the Swamp Fox

Hi woody,

Just sort of guessed what felt right . didn't want too much ,just enough to get it on step. In subsequent launches I used fish scale and 4 lbs was about right.

For my 35oz F-18 I use 12- 15 lbs ,it comes off the rails nice and fast.

obviously , the more pull you use, the damage potential goes up if something is out of whack.

Questions for ya,
1)You get the mini panther from stumax yet?
2) impressions?

I'm in line for the upcoming starfighter

good luck
Old 11-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Woody 51

Hi Swampy,

Stu contacted me yesterday. The Panther is just about ready, but he asked if I could wait a few more days as he wanted to finish off the test flying program for the F104 while he had a good flying weather window.

That was no problem with me, as I am still gathering the bits needed to get the Panther airborne.

I have a fan unit (Vasa 55 Mini) and micro servos and one of the new MZK Digital Mini Rx's (0.28 ounces)

MZK is the same company that makes BERG Rx's, but the MZK branded units use a different microprocessor.

Just gotta get a motor and ESC. Going for a Hacker 2012 and a Jetti/Hacker 30 amp ESC.

Stu recommended a 2 cell Lipoly with the Vasa and Hacker 2012.

Stu did say that the wind on the day the Panther video was taken, was blowing around the 15-20 knots. So it will handle stronger winds than the Alfa stuff. He also added that the Panther was not a fast model. I guess the aerodynamics of the actual airplane account or that.

When you get your F104, please let me know how it goes as I am also interested in one of those.

P.S. I should be across in your part of the world within the next 12 month or so, to see my Dad who lives up in Aiken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.