Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FUNJET

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
chippedprop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUNJET

ORIGINAL: Fidy$Trainer

I don't recall seeing any pics of cooling mod's to the FUSE. I've heard of a couple spoon scoup? Does this go on top? I had thought of putting a couple of circular holes on the bottom of fuse for cooling but now I'm thinking a couple of holes between the cannopy and rear section right where the ESC sits. Anyone have pics than can share on some cooling mods. I have two heat sinks on the Medusa on stock motor mount but it doesnt look like a hole lot of air is going to get through thier.
Which is exactly why I did the mods. as you see them on the current plane. Plus I found that by leaving the rear stock cover off I can get huge air to the motor and the prop.
Plus I can run any motor..... in runner or out runner. just add the correct adapter due to the mods.-wire tie on and go fly.

Ex. on the maiden Thursday I run the 4 cell with APC 4.75 by 4.75 it pulls 39+amps thru the motor. I ran basically WOT for 4 minutes. Cut throttle landed, felt motor and it was cold. It was about 81 degs. when I flew. I'll do the air scoop for the ESC next week as I'm covered with work. I'll post pics. It's a very easy and low tech. solution to a cooling problem.
Look a the pictures posted and you can see thru the canopy. Flow thru vent for the battery.
Cp
Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

Well I've already glassed the inside of the cone for added stiffness and support. I'd hate to redo it all. I may take chipp's advise and do something similar to what he has. I'm also considering adding venting holes. Not sure first thing I have to do is go out and fly it :-)

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Fidy$Trainer,

Ask the folks or see for yourself if the inside of the foam tail cone can be trimmed/sanded down a little for more airflow....I'm talking about rear of fuse inside of the tail cone area where he motor sits...can you make that area larger diameter by sanding down the foam on the inside a little?

Verify from the folks that it is possible before doing it...if you go extreme on the sanding, maybe you need to fiberglass the area or something.

I bet some of the people here can guide you on that.

Gryphon

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

ORIGINAL: Fidy$Trainer

I don't recall seeing any pics of cooling mod's to the FUSE. I've heard of a couple spoon scoup? Does this go on top? I had thought of putting a couple of circular holes on the bottom of fuse for cooling but now I'm thinking a couple of holes between the cannopy and rear section right where the ESC sits. Anyone have pics than can share on some cooling mods. I have two heat sinks on the Medusa on stock motor mount but it doesnt look like a hole lot of air is going to get through thier.
Which is exactly why I did the mods. as you see them on the current plane. Plus I found that by leaving the rear stock cover off I can get huge air to the motor and the prop.
Plus I can run any motor..... in runner or out runner. just add the correct adapter due to the mods.-wire tie on and go fly.

Ex. on the maiden Thursday I run the 4 cell with APC 4.75 by 4.75 it pulls 39+amps thru the motor. I ran basically WOT for 4 minutes. Cut throttle landed, felt motor and it was cold. It was about 81 degs. when I flew. I'll do the air scoop for the ESC next week as I'm covered with work. I'll post pics. It's a very easy and low tech. solution to a cooling problem.
Look a the pictures posted and you can see thru the canopy. Flow thru vent for the battery.
Cp
Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fidy ... don't forget the video!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 PM
gabork73

Hi folks!
I found an earlier video.
You can scope the second run.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3SWaOm-JsE

The New project just started.......pitures soon

gabe
Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 AM
tIANci

Gabe ... that scream sounds like 40,000+ RPM! Nice ... very nice ... Now I know you have to wave that LED like nuts before it tells you the speed. Heheheee ... I shall try mine again.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM
gabork73

Hi!
You have to catch a certain rythm and will work.

gabe
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
poorwboy

I put one of these om my funjet.http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/108422.asp I am running a 3s 30c battery and a apc 6*5.5. It is not as fast as I exspected. Maybe 90 mph range. What can I do to make this setup faster change props?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
tIANci

Bets way to get more speed if to put in more VOLTS. That is the best method.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

I saw the video. Wow it's really moving. I"m hoping when I have the balls to fly mine on 4S / 5S it's should be pretty fast. Question about the air speed meter? How accurate are these? Have they been tested in parallel with another system to valadate it's speed recordings? I also heard that the piot tubes have to be a certain distance and not to be installed near the nose but like 5" on the wing to get a good reading. I don't know just wondering. Not trying to disprove or approve just looking for a means that we could all come to some sort of aggreement on how to best record fastest Fj's accurately. I'be curious to know if you put the plane in your car while driving 100kmh, then stick the plane out the window or sunroof while holding onto it lol, and then took a measurment on the speed meter if it would also measure 100kmh? I don't know enough to even think if that would be a vaild test.

ORIGINAL: gabork73

Hi!
You have to catch a certain rythm and will work.

gabe
Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
paulfrmphoenix
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Guys, I would just like to add my two cents to the forum. I think things are getting a little out of hand as far as the FJ is concerned. It seems like Everyone who is trying to go the fastest, are MODIFYING the original shape of the FJ! Once you start doing that, it is no longer an original out-of-the-box Funjet! I thought this forum was to see how fast & responsive we can make a FJ go! I can see trying all kinds of motors, esc's & batteries, to get the best speed, but once you start modifying the original airframe, IT IS NO LONGER A FUNJET! If I wanted to see the fastest FJ in the world, I could fiberglass a FJ, modify it all over,, adapt a NELSON Q-40 nitro motor on it, and probably go over 200mph! BUT would it be a FJ ?? Am I wrong in my way of thinking? Paul
Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 PM
blanik213

To say that modifying any given airframe in the quest to improve it is a no no would be a real setback in terms of future products and progress. I think most of the shared techniques and method developed by modelers to improve there models is part of the fun and skill development that make this hobby so exciting.To say that one should only use the available items sold over the counter to do there improvement and not attempt to alter or change the appearance or shape of their model because it will take away from it's stock value or somehow invalidates what it is makes no sence .As they say necessity is the mother of invention and to some speed is the necessity modifications are the inventions. FJ stock or FJ modified it's still an FJ or TJ or MJ . For the modeler that has the skill and techniques to alter and improve their plane it's a showcase and share their ideas and skill and is extremely rewarding and those that are still learning how to this forum is loaded with tons of info and helpful people to assist in your modification and ultimate growth in this hobby. Just my 2 cents happy flying to you. Still working on this, does it still look like a TJ I am sure it will fly a lot better than a stocker Woody
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62793.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1195993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21258.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1195994  
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 AM
paulfrmphoenix

Blanik ,I'm not sure what we all are trying to acheive here..If it is to re-design the FJ, maybe we could get a posistion at the multiplex factory, and totally re-design the FJ, and get PAID FOR OUR EFFORTS! Heck, if we want to modify the FJ, to get the fastest speed & Mods, lets modify the wings so they won't come apart, take all the radio gear out, put a rocket in the tail, stand it vertical, light it, and I'll bet we have the fastest FJ on earth! SPEED PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Probably will break an altitude record too! But is that what the FJ is all about?... How about this scenario...Lets have TWO GROUPS OF FJ builders, One group, that builds the FJ, STOCK, and another group that does all the mods, and compare the speed & flying capability differences! It might be interesting to see if you "mod guys" go that much faster than stock, and still be able to handle like a stock FJ! I fly my stock FJ with a Mega 16/15/2, 6X3 apc prop, 4s lipo, and it is not only fast, but will go vertical, way faster than the "speed" FJ's, and is very docile on manuvering & landing! 6X3 doesn't sound like much pitch, but behind the Mega motor, on 4s is AWESOME FOR VERTICAL...Try it, you won't be disapointed....Paul
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 AM
blanik213

Paul don't get me wrong there is a lot to be enjoyed in the stock configuration but at the same time there are some mods that have been done here and on rcgroups that have produced results that were well rounded,improved speed and retained maneuverability and low speed manors and then there are the extremes all in all pushing the envelope can lead to the development of some pretty amazing planes,motors,use of materials and the list goes on.I think it's about personal preferences and the competitive nature in most of us that drive to dare to change something ,to put your special spin on something weather it's just the look of it or it's function it all helps the industry to grow. A few learn enough go on to design and make their own planes and what better place to start than with a inexpensive plane, as they say nothing ventured nothing gained .I really enjoy taking a $50 plane and making it preform like something a whole lot more,I am old school and love to build and use my acquired skills on every thing I do soo many arf's now day not that many guys know how to build from scratch, that is a real shame.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM
paulfrmphoenix

Blanik. when I look at it, from your point of view, I have to agree with you 100% ! Thanks for taking the time to answer my posts, happy Fun jetting to you.. Paul
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulfrmphoenix
I fly my stock FJ with a Mega 16/15/2, 6X3 apc prop, 4s lipo, and it is not only fast, but will go vertical, way faster than the "speed" FJ's, and is very docile on manuvering & landing! 6X3 doesn't sound like much pitch, but behind the Mega motor, on 4s is AWESOME FOR VERTICAL...Try it, you won't be disapointed....Paul
Paul, how hot is the Mega getting with that setup? I have a couple in S400 pylon planes with 4.1x4.1 APCs on 3S and they get toasty.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM
paulfrmphoenix

Evan, the Mega Motor runs cool with that setup. I don't have the specs off hand on the amp draw, as I had to send the Mega back to the Czech Republic, because my prop adapter evidently wasn't that tight, and it moved forward from thrust, caught the motor mounting screws, locked up, and broke the shaft. I got the motor back, and they did not charge fro the repair. I have since moved back to Phoenix from California, but have not been flying, as I have soo many "honey do's" to catch up on...Paul
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
gabork73

[quote]ORIGINAL: Fidy$Trainer

I saw the video. Wow it's really moving. I"m hoping when I have the balls to fly mine on 4S / 5S it's should be pretty fast. Question about the air speed meter? How accurate are these? Have they been tested in parallel with another system to valadate it's speed recordings? I also heard that the piot tubes have to be a certain distance and not to be installed near the nose but like 5" on the wing to get a good reading. I don't know just wondering. Not trying to disprove or approve just looking for a means that we could all come to some sort of aggreement on how to best record fastest Fj's accurately. I'be curious to know if you put the plane in your car while driving 100kmh, then stick the plane out the window or sunroof while holding onto it lol, and then took a measurment on the speed meter if it would also measure 100kmh? I don't know enough to even think if that would be a vaild test.

Hi Fidy$Trainer!

I calibrated mine as the same method as You said.Stick the plane out the sunroof and see what the gauge shows.Accuracy is stunning.At 150km/h the differenece is only 1 km/h.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
gabork73

Hi Paul!

To by a cheap good looking foamy and redesign it so it flyes like expensive bird I think thats someting.
I never been an off the shelf ARF pilot and never will be.
Inspiration moves me forward thats all.

gabe
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
blanik213

One of the big differences between those expensive models and the foamy's is the additional attention to detail,many high performance planes have foam cores wings reinforced with carbon spares and covered using a variety methods and materials that take them to another performance level.I have a number of molded ships and aside from a custom paint job there is little that can be done to tweek the airframe its' already optimized but the foamy leaves room to explore my own personal path to optimize it in and learn as i go which in some ways is a whole lot of fun.I think that these foam planes generate high energy conversation and pure excitement among all the posters than I see in other threads were folks flying high end models. Sorry for being long winded, just my thoughts. Woody(blanik)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
paulfrmphoenix

Gabe, that's great! It is good that guys like you are always experimenting! I do some experimenting myself. I have a "diamond Dust" kit that I am going to build into an elctric one of these days.. it is a wedge type aircraft, that has been clocked near 200mph. with a Nelson Q40 nitro engine. I am dying to see what it wil do "electrified". It is a very clean, sleek diamond shaped craft, that is only about an inch thick! So it should be very fast! It is super agile on landing, and will not stall!....Check out their site www.diamonddustrc.com Paul
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
chippedprop

Well my brand new FJ with 4 flights on it is now missing in action. I was flying at the club site and I'm guessing I had electrical issue with the ESC. The last time this happened I chaulked it up to high winds and me. This time perfect conditon and the plane just turned off.

Went in at 60-70 mph into heavy woods. Sounding like someone hit a home run with a wood bat when it went in, I have looked for a total of 3-4 hours and have not found and trace.

So I must write this off and begin once again saving to replace[&o]
I also must assume that I have an issue with the E-flite 60 amp esc and or the connection on the rx. Life sucks at this time.
may be this will cheer me up this weekend.......http://www.beaufortairshow.com/index.html
later Cp
Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
tIANci

CP ... sorry to hear that man! Next plane will be in Shocking Pink with the location buzzer? I lost my MJ too, crashed nearby and could not locate it. I think it crashed on the road nearby and some people just took it. All that within minutes too!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
paulfrmphoenix

CP & tIANCI
Almost ALWAYS, when you lose a plane, it is MUCH FURTHER AWAY FROM WHERE YOU ARE LOOKING! It may also still be in a tree.
Good luck, Paul
P.S. For anyone having trouble in "radaring" their plane with a radar gun, try taping some aluminum foil on the leading edge of the wing.....
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Gryphon

tIANci,

I spent the day with Chippedprop at Joe Nall flyin, wish you were there hanging out with us...lots of cool planes and jets...even a turbine powered float plane.
A guy took the plans for Northstar (float plane) and blew it up twice as big and did some mods and then slapped in the turbine....it was just awesome.

Chippedprop did take some videos which we will see at some point in future when he gets to it...no rush.

Had a great day over all about 80 degrees I think. I had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there, but he had a 1/2 hour drive or so.

I started my drive in the rain but I had faith that all will be well, and sure enough sun shine broke through the clouds 1/2 way during the drive.

Matt Chapman piloting his full scale plane was doing coordinated stunts along a small RC copy of his bird...unbelievable...WOW.

***If I knew early in the day, I would have told chip to skip the show and I would have helped him look...I hope he takes a few friends and go look again.

paulfrmphoenix,

Thanks for the tip on radar runs...I will give it a try some time.

Gryphon
Old 05-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Gryphon

poorwboy,

Iwould guessthat you are flying at 100 MPH not 90, but either way...lets get past that and get you to go faster.

The suggestion above to go with higher volts is a good idea, but there will be a big jump in amps so as USUAL; you must go down a little in prop size.
On a good 4S that can handle 50A with ease try APC E 5.5X4.5 up to maybe 5.5X5.5 using a wattmeter to write down Amps, Watts

See what the Amps, and Watts are right now and if your motor is overheating now or not.

Run a full size heat sink for the summer.

50A ESC is a good choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.