Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My parkzone HABU

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My parkzone HABU

ORIGINAL: FlyFaster

foam? turbines? why not? seems like fun to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEmiz...eature=related
Not sure but cajets.com has a video of the funjet flying in 08. It was pretty stable and flew "normal". LOL!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

just got back from the first flight with everything stock all I did was remove the gear I was very impressed about a 4min flight. Isee someone said it did not have very good vertical I just want to say did you charge it I pointed it up and it was gone had to get off power
Old 12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
FlyFaster

yea ive seen a few differnt turbine foamies. i wouldent mind having one
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 PM
FlyFaster

my vertical was fine. in some of our earlier references we were referring to a full throttle pass kill the engine and see how long it took out to stall.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 PM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: bladebender

just got back from the first flight with everything stock all I did was remove the gear I was very impressed about a 4min flight. Isee someone said it did not have very good vertical I just want to say did you charge it I pointed it up and it was gone had to get off power
Congrats on your maiden flight. I gotta get out this weekend and fly mine.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 AM
gusser

hey guys..just got mine the other day ..should have it in the air by monday or tues...not sure whether to keep the landing gear on or off...let you guys know how it goes.....thx
Old 12-25-2009, 07:37 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

I would fly off grass no gear when I fly I used about 30% expo and about 70% on dual rates. I like to turn the throws down but I have 100% on high just incase I get into trouble.slow flite is nice but it will take some time to slow down I hope this helps
Old 12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
gusser

yeah i usually fly my foamie edfs of grass to b bender...think im going to try the gear and shoot it down the runway c how it tracks........lot of expo huh..ok will consider......thnx
Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 PM
kyleandtavion
My Feedback: (64)

My vertical test is and was full throttle on a high speed pass then point it straight up while still on full throttle and see how far it climbs until it stalls out which on my Habu was about 250 feet. Under full throttle vertical climb it would slow to a stop and nose over still under full throttle. My goal is to limit vertical climbing when I decide to level it off or kill the throttle. I would also like to able to 3d hover.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: kyleandtavion
My vertical test is and was full throttle on a high speed pass then point it straight up while still on full throttle and see how far it climbs until it stalls out which on my Habu was about 250 feet. Under full throttle vertical climb it would slow to a stop and nose over still under full throttle. My goal is to limit vertical climbing when I decide to level it off or kill the throttle. I would also like to able to 3d hover.
Are you at high altitude? I'm at sea level. Maybe that's why mine climbs so much better? Also, now it's only around 30 degrees out so it's as good as it will ever get (dense cold air with very little humidity).

Good luck with 3D on an EDF. Best thing I think is the HL Freewing F35 with thrust vectoring.

I've never seen an EDF with thrust to weight even close to what most would want for 3D. Plus lack of air over the tail parts means you really need to vector the thrust which is lossy for high speed flight and introduces mechanical complexity (weight, drag).

Ever see the turbine guys 3D videos at Joe Nall? That's what we want, but those engines are real jets, mounted right at the rear of the fuselage on gimbals.

Here's an older vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMFlkFmkCco

Higher plane productions has some nice footage from this year's event but you need to be a member to view it.

http://flightpass.higherplaneproduct...lery2/main.php
Old 12-25-2009, 04:29 PM
FlyFaster

mine has plenty of vertical climb im surprised your only getting 250. as for 3d good luck with anything other than thrust vector. i made mine pretty tail heavy and got it to perform pretty well but i dont know if that plane is much more capable than that. probably get some better high alpha if you mess around with it but for a stable hover i dont think you will get too much with it. i was talking to a few of the local guys about a vectoring thrust ...maybe something i will mess around with when i get some extra time. ill probably buy a PNP one to do some mods on (plus get some retracts lol) and keep this one for my regular messing around. either way im pretty happy with it. i havent flown it without the gear yet im gonna try that this weekend after work.

happy flying and merry christmas
Old 12-25-2009, 04:32 PM
perfeet

What kind of battery plug does the ESC in the Habu come with?

Can you use the Hobbyking plugs?:

Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 PM
FlyFaster

no, as usual for Eflite they come with EC3 plugs so youl need to change out the ones on your battery(s) or change the ESC connector to a hobbyking connector. given there large gauge wire on hobby king batteries you may have an easier time changing the ESC connector.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 PM
wind junkie

I think the "whole world" is about to switch to the yellow XT 60s given Hobby City's influence:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9572

I ordered a bunch myself to be arriving next week.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:54 AM
empty_space

I'm going to try and fly mine tomorrow if the weather permits. I didn't have any 30c 4s lipos but I did have 4 2s 25c 4000mah lipos, so I hooked 2 of them up in series and I will see how that turns out. It's heavier than getting a 4s lipo by about 130-140 grams, so I'm going to see how that works out. Can't wait to try it.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 AM
perfeet

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

I think the "whole world" is about to switch to the yellow XT 60s given Hobby City's influence:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9572

I ordered a bunch myself to be arriving next week.
I concidered the XT60, but reportedly it does not work as great withheavier gaugewire (for example 6sbatteries).

The "cup" you solder on too is to small basically. I will stick to my Deans for now, since I alsofly a Trex 500 with batteries with pretty thick wire.

I ordered a bunch of the 40C packs, and three bags of these connectors, they are no good for larger wire size batteries, the spot to solder is cupped and it is made for 14 gauge wire... the 450s would be ok, but most of the ESCs I have, all have 12 gauge and under wire.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

The xt-60 connectors look very similer to the astro-flight ones only painted yellow. I have used a/flight in the past, they work well. They will accept the larger wire .
I just wish the manufactures would decided on a standard. I really get tired of cutting and soldering connectors, and every 6months or so , everybody changes to the their own new high n mighty connector.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 AM
wind junkie

I heard HC could no longer make the "deans style" clone due to a threat of a lawsuit so they now have the XT60. These carry the same current and are easier to solder. Plus they are easier to insert/pull apart and have the same or greater contact area.

If the lawsuit rumor is true, I think it was a bad move on the part of Deans to do that. Now HC will take their toys and play elsewhere. Connectors wear out, and if a battery maker supplies batteries with a certain connector (especially one as universally accepted as HC), that's a big enticement to switch.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 AM
kyleandtavion

I am a 3d flyer this is my first EDF and right now I can make it hover it just falls backwards vertical. The same thing I can do with 40 percent yak or edge. If it had more power I could hover. I have also triple rates on my transmitter. First two rates are factory spec and third is as far as control surfaces will possibly go which in highspeed would probably rip a control surface off in flight. This third rate is what I call Ninja rates. It won't fall all the way down to the ground inverted but about 5 or 6 feet before it falls over on either side. Power out of a stall is very poor so I wont be hovering anywhere near the ground any time soon. unless I have extreme power. I also tried 5s and 6s with stock EDF setup and 5s wasnt worth the gain and 6s the motor hated. It would peak out real hard then drop off like a timing issue. I only took off did one lap and landed in fear of destroying something. Everything was fine but I do not recommend lol
Old 12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

Got this for Christmas flew it 3 time today and I must say this is a great EDF jet for any first timer moving up from a trainer or a T-28. I love what E-flight / Horizon has done with R/C with all the BNF / PNP planes they have released. The battery speed control motor fan combo is perfect for what it is, everyone would like to have more speed , but the plane tracks and flys great. Landings are gental and slow, but it will eat up some airspace when you want it to. If I was going to make it faster I would drop a Hoffman Magnetic motor or EDF in it, with 4 pounds of thust on a 46oz plane vertical would be unlimited. As far as 3D good luck kyleandtavion with the hovering because it won't happen until you install the exhaust vectoring, but please post the video of your attempts I would like to see how well the airframe handles the crash LOL. I was getting well over 6 minutes on the flights, but I did cycle the battery before the first flight. One other club member had his out today also and there was a difference in the speed, mine was a few MPH faster for some reason than his, so that may be one of the reasons some seem slower. I also gave it the vertical full throttle dive had pull out at the bottom and it handled it, I wanted to test the strength of the stabs LOL. I plan on keeping it stock and enjoying it.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
kyleandtavion

Sorry no crashes for your amusement like I said I don't attempt it anywhere near the ground. Ordered hoffman wild beast yesterday Back to the rain here so it will be a while before I post results
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 PM
wpotter6

A 3D hover with an EDF? Are you crazy?

This is only possible with gimballed thrust. There is no prop wash over any of the surfacess with an EDF and this is absolutely necessary to do a 3D hover and have control over the aircraft. A prop is also much more aerodynamically efficient than a ducted fan, so much more power would be needed to hover. Consider the Harrier or the new F-35, these can do a VTOL and hover just on thrust, but the control system is all vectored thrust in that mode, the control surfaces are not effective until there is adequate airspeed. It takes a very sophisticated control system to perform vectored thrust and also to do the transition from vectored thrust to normal flight control. Also note that these do not hover in a vertical attitude.

Yes, this can be done, but not with the Habu or any other EDF model on the market today. Your expectations are not reasonable.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: wpotter6

A 3D hover with an EDF? Are you crazy?

This is only possible with gimballed thrust. There is no prop wash over any of the surfacess with an EDF and this is absolutely necessary to do a 3D hover and have control over the aircraft. A prop is also much more aerodynamically efficient than a ducted fan, so much more power would be needed to hover. Consider the Harrier or the new F-35, these can do a VTOL and hover just on thrust, but the control system is all vectored thrust in that mode, the control surfaces are not effective until there is adequate airspeed. It takes a very sophisticated control system to perform vectored thrust and also to do the transition from vectored thrust to normal flight control. Also note that these do not hover in a vertical attitude.

Yes, this can be done, but not with the Habu or any other EDF model on the market today. Your expectations are not reasonable.
Hobby Lobby SU 27
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
wpotter6

I think you mean the SU-34 which has vectored thrust with two separate ducted fans. I agree this aircraft could do a hover, however the amount of wind and gusts that could be handled by this would be significantly less than that of a real 3D plane.

The minumum requirements for doing a sustainable hover with a ducted fan would be:

2 nozzels, both with gimbals

OR

3 nozzels without any gimbals

The Habu is a single nozzel with no gimbals and will not be able to hover. Once the aircraft reaches zero airspeed, there is no longer any control.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM
CBM Racing

I used to hover my microjet and another propjet I had no problem. Yeah yeah, they were propjets, not edf's. But principle is still same. If balanced for stability in hover (or close to it) the prop pulls air over control surfaces quite well. Not as effective as a prop blowing over them, but still good enough. With a df the air exiting the rear of the plane causes low pressure area and causes the air to be pulled across the control surfaces. Don't believe me? Strap your airframe down and run it at full throttle and blow smoke across plane, you can see it being sucked into intake but also being pulled across rear of plane. If you had a ring behind exit area it would be called a venturi perhaps? Anywho, I want one of these Habu's sumpin fierce!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.