Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Introducing myself...

Old 10-20-2021, 06:58 PM
1967brutus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing myself...

Hi all,

Just a short introduction: My name is Bert, I am a marine engineer by profession and an avid RC pilot when not at sea. In the RC hobby for 42 years, flying for about 38 of them, fixed wing as well as rotary.
Since about 6 years now, I have completely tossed Methanol out, but.... not given up on the engines I allready had (in fact, gathered a lot more of them, since glow engines nowadays seem to be cheap and plentiful in the classifieds).
Of course the first attempts at flying SMALL gas (really small) were difficult, but nowadays, I think I have the trick mastered, and unlocked the door to the smaller range of engines (15 cc and smaller, down to at least 5 cc, but trying to go smaller even, all the way to 1,5 cc).
Flying on gas works just as well, if not better, than on methanol. Very userfriendly, very reliable, lots cleaner, and very frugal, and converting glow engines means that there is a much wider range of options compared to "purpose built" gassers.
I have now done more or less every displacement size over 5 cc and they all work flawless.
I used to burn through easily the equivalent of 500 bucks per year of methanol, now that has reduced to about 50, no joke, and I am flying more rather than less. The money saved is used to buy more engines

I came here to RCUniverse, seeing that this forum contrary to other forums has a dedicated sub for engine conversions, but to my dissapointment, it is rather quiet in here, looking at the dates of last posts and the average length of threads.
Nobody interested in flying cheap wet fuel anymore? Pity...

Anyway, regards,

Bert
Old 10-22-2021, 08:42 AM
1967brutus

Well, It appears that interest in small gassers is not overwhelming...

For those that do not yet know me from other forums, here are a few examples of what small gassers can be like.

Ease of operation: this is a 5 cc fourstroke, video was shot with stone cold engine, not warmed up, not primed, not run for 24 hrs previously. Engine still has stock carburettor, the mixture is continuously adjusted via a curve programmed in the transmitter, the actual fuel metering is done with a tiny solenoid borrowed from a Stihl M-tronic engine. This is NOT a fluke or lucky shot, it starts like this consistently...

Excellent throttle response in singles: a 100% stock, unmodified ASP .91 2stroke, running a pipe, same set-up with the mixture being controlled via transmitter and fuel metering solenoid.
Excellent throttle response in twins: A 100% stock ASP FT160
And even in radials:

All three with stock glow carbs, and no or only minimal mods to the induction system (NO Ray English, Morris Mini Motors or other commercial mods, nor imitations of it).

My engines do not only work on the bench, they fly too (duh, what would be the point if they didn't?), and as long as a suitable engine is selected, performance is just as good as we are used with glow fuel:

Not yet shown in these videos, but latest development is to integrate automatic mixture correction for ambient temperature and barometric pressure. Still under development (already 2 planes flying with it, testing so far gives positive results).

For what it is worth: I am NOT a vendor, and I do NOT have commercial interests. I will voluntarily share everything I know about the subject, and if needed, any materials I can supply at zero profit, but I would encourage people to try and make their own, it really is not rocket science...

Last edited by 1967brutus; 10-22-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:04 AM
1967brutus

Previous post shows results that came relatively easy.

What DID take an awful lot of effort to get it to run right, was a .50 class heli on gasoline, that turned out to be a multi-year effort, but in the end, it all worked out:

I started this project in 2015 or so, before the first plane engine, and it took about 3,5 years to get it right, sort of.

I would not really reccommend that to anyone but the most adventurous, though. It can be done, the engine has at least 15 gallons through it (and given how frugal it is, that is a LOT of flight time, and more than enough monetary savings to pay for engine, muffler, ignition and a few crashparts), but it also involved quite a bit of testing, trying, re-doing and frustration.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:21 AM
1967brutus

I will close this thread, because the thread title does not really invite a discussion. That is my mistake.

My intention was not to show off, but to demonstrate that converting glow engines to gasoline is not only very doable, but it is doable with very minimalistic means, very worthwhile, and if done properly, absoluty satisfying in performance and convenience.

If anyone is interested, feel free to either start a thread with questions, or to PM me those questions, I won't bite and I do not keep secrets. I will help in any way I can.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 10-23-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:27 AM
1967brutus

Wankels appear to be able to run gasoline as well....

Not yet there, but slowly progressing.