Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

what is afterrun oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
BackYardRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is afterrun oil?

I dont see a problem with wd40.....Ive used it a couple times when i didnt have after run oil. im bout to go buy some today tho. If wd40 separates the moisture from the engine components, and doesnt harm the motor, whats the problem??? i mean yea id rather use afterrun oil but if you dont have any at the time i wouldnt think wd40 wouldnt be a problem.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its definately better than nothing but i wouldnt use it when they make after run oil thats specific to these engines. I have heard that wd also degreases, which is not a good thing when it comes to bearings, i am not 100% sure about this though. I do know that wd40 will clean your car like brand new, just spray it all over and blow it off with compressed air and the car looks like new. I buy it by the gallon, its cheaper that way, its like $14 a gallon.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
BackYardRacer

yea its deffinetly a great cleaner it'll shine anything up. But yess i agree with you and AAFH.everything that aafh said will work fine. But i would rather use after run oil, somethin designed only for these cars. But any of that other stuff will work as a subsitute.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

WD-40 is made of natural fish oil, it has no silicones in it. Also it is a cleaner, which is great for the open faced bearings in these engines, not only will it dissolve the varnishes that can build up on the bearings and races from the actual nitro fuel(especially if the fuel you are using happens to have ignitors in it) but will coat and cling to the metal parts very nicely. I use WD-40 on my metal lathe as a anti corrosive on my Cast iron lathe ways and it works superbly. Metal is metal, the nitro hobby industry didn't reinvent the wheel by pouring transmission fluid into a bottle and telling you to use it because it's designed to do something special in a nitro engine. Point here, When water is introduced to transmission fluid it turns pink and actually breaks up the water, BUT DOES NOT absorbe the water, transmission fluid has detergants in it(not like dish detergant) that actually help break up the water, BUT again it does NOT absorbe it. Now take red after run oil, when water is introduced to it it turns pink also and you get the same effects as with transmission fluid, because it has the exact same properties as transmission fluid, if it's clear after run oil you get white milky substance instead. So in hind site Transmission fluid would be an excellent substitute for after run oil.

All and all i would actualy perfer an oil like WD-40 or transmission fluid that actually disperses the water AWAY from the metal, but an oil that Coats the metal will work just as well temporarlly, but be ware of one thing Oils like engine oils will burn in your nitro engine and leave behind a carbon coating eventually, I would not recommend using Standard oils on a daily basis, by standard I mean oils like miracle oil or Engine oil.

WD-40 burns clean

Transmission fluid burns off clean

After run oil burns off clean

Engine oils burn off dirty

Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
BackYardRacer

yes wd40 is great for everything. im just wondering would you recommend somebody using after every day of using your car?? or just get some afterrun oil and use that. because ive used wd40 a couple times on both my cars. also allaboutfunhobbies can you PM with some info about my order please.shipping info and stuff if you can since it got changed up a bit, that would be great

thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I did. Check your email. I actually have a bunch of customers that use WD-40 on a daily basis for the last year or so, I used to use it back in the day. I usually tell people once the after run oil in there starter kit is gone to fill the bottle with Dextron Trans fluid, You can buy a whole quart of trans fluid for less than a small bottle of the same thing.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
BackYardRacer

ok cool. i'll just use wd40 when im out of afterrun oil. probably not all the time though.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 AM
{GBI}Harryball

WD40 Degreases? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Ehroof Now i have heard it all. This has to be the best. Backyard, glad to see that you have made up your own mind. That is the idea here. To give people as many options as they can get.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 AM
ToyDestroyer

Wow I was out of town for a couple days and I come back to find I missed a good topic. I use WD40 in my engines. I had used after run oil in my plane engines but after being introduces to the wonders of WD40 I no longer use the after run oil. WD40 protected just as well as the after run oil. I know some guys who will tell you to never use after run oil (most claim it causes problems with bearings). They swear by WD40 and won't use anything else. I have a bottle of after run oil in my car box. I don't use it unless I have no WD40. Those that I trust have told me I can use it, I have never had a problem with it, and until now I have never heard anyone say it was a bad choice. Ehroof since you are so much against using anything but after run oil can you tell us about an engine of yours that was destroyed or harmed because you used something else? I am really anxious to hear why what I am using is wrong. I have no problem with your OPINION that after run oil is better. Every one has a different opinion on many subjects, what I would like to know is what experience you have had to make you form that opinion.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM
ehroof

i use wd40 to clean my cars, it removes the dirt and OIL from the exhaust along the back of the cars where the oil sprays. It was all said before, oil and water mix, it makes a red/milky mixture when it mixes (absorbs) the oil, wd40 will just push it away to another place, it displaces the water. GBI you do what you want with your cars and i do agree, wd is better than using nothing at all but i would much rather use an oil if i have my way.

Its actually a great cleaner for you car, if you have compressed air, clean the car off, then sray it down with wd40 and spray it off, it makes the cars look like new and not greasy, it dries up nicely. i buy a gallon of it for $15
Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: ToyDestroyer

Wow I was out of town for a couple days and I come back to find I missed a good topic. I use WD40 in my engines. I had used after run oil in my plane engines but after being introduces to the wonders of WD40 I no longer use the after run oil. WD40 protected just as well as the after run oil. I know some guys who will tell you to never use after run oil (most claim it causes problems with bearings). They swear by WD40 and won't use anything else. I have a bottle of after run oil in my car box. I don't use it unless I have no WD40. Those that I trust have told me I can use it, I have never had a problem with it, and until now I have never heard anyone say it was a bad choice. Ehroof since you are so much against using anything but after run oil can you tell us about an engine of yours that was destroyed or harmed because you used something else? I am really anxious to hear why what I am using is wrong. I have no problem with your OPINION that after run oil is better. Every one has a different opinion on many subjects, what I would like to know is what experience you have had to make you form that opinion.

I have a tool repair/rental place that i go to often, i was telling him how i clean the cars, he told me to use wd40 but be careful of the bearings sice it can remove the grease, he did say wd is a cleaner, degreaser and lubricant. he sprays his equipment to clean it and blows it off, then he packs the bearings with grease when he is done. Nitro engienes have bearings in them that get their oil from the fuel only. after run oil is OIL, no real cleaning properties and is designed to mix with moisture, lube parts and break down the castor oil used in fuels. Most of the fuels that say do no use after run oil are using synthetic oils so it doesnt gum up but that doesnt stop the moisture build up from the fuel itself. Basically all i am saying is that wd40 was not designed to use in your nitro engines like after run oil is and for the cost of a few bucks, why use something else, i run 25 cars, several boats, planes and heli's and have never had a problem with the engines gunking up or rusting and some of these have sat for years so i must be doing something right. It doesnt matter what i say anyways, GBI and AAFH will try to make me look like a fool anyways, i just think its a bad idea to be telling people that are new to the hobby to use something when you can cheaply buy something that was designed to do a certain job.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
{GBI}Harryball

We are not trying to make you look like a fool, your words in text will do that for you, we do not have to. Im happy that the gentlemen in the repair shop uses wd to clean. All you really have to do is read the back of the bottle, it will tell you that it can be used on ENGINES. Good greef. It is good advice for people new to the hobby, because most of the have seen and used wd. Others here will use it as well. Just because you say not to, and you know, doesnt mean your right. There is allways more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
ehroof

i wouldnt bother to argue with you anymore, use it, i have no problem if you use it. i wont use it and dont reccomend for anyone else to use it.

i wont waste me time on this or on responding to you anymore.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM
ToyDestroyer

he did say wd is a cleaner, degreaser and lubricant
So if it removes built up oil from the bearings and lubricates them how is it hurting the engine?
after run oil is OIL, no real cleaning properties and is designed to mix with moisture
It was all said before, oil and water mix, it makes a red/milky mixture when it mixes (absorbs) the oil, wd40 will just push it away to another place, it displaces the water.
No oil mixes with water. If you do not belive me then do a little experiment. Take a quart of transmission fluid (similar to after run oil) pour it into a clear 2 litter soda bottle, top it off with water(leave a little room in the bottle), put on the cap and shake. You will end up with a pink foamy liquid. Now the important part: Set the bottle on the shelf and leave it there for a few days. Eventually the mixture will seperate into the two seperate liquids again (you can try this with motor oil or any oil as well). This same thing will occur inside your engine. You may mix the water with the oil for a day or two but eventually the will seperate and you will have oil coating your engine parts and the moisture displaced or pushed around as you put it. I have been told that one reason to use WD40 is to clean the bearings. Some guys insist that by cleaning the old oil out of the bearing and allowing new oil in you can prolong the life of the bearing. The WD40 removes the old oil and provides enough lubrication for the engine to run until oil from the fuel can lube the bearings. Either way I will continue to use WD40 on my plane and car engines.
i run 25 cars, several boats, planes and heli's and have never had a problem with the engines gunking up or rusting and some of these have sat for years so i must be doing something right.
I never said you was doing anything wrong, you insisted that using WD40 was wrong. As long as you use some sort of oil after you run the car you will be OK. WD40 is made of oil and works just as well (some would argue better) than after run oil. I think the most important thing for someone new to these engines to know is that after you run the engine you should protect your investment with some sort of oil based product.

i wont waste me time on this or on responding to you anymore.
I wish you wouldn't take this aproach as your opinion like that of everyone else's is needed. Forums are a means of gathering the knowledge and/or opinions of others so that an informed decision can be made.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM
ehroof

i didnt mean anything twards you toydestroyer or anyone else, the people those comments were made for know who they are, so dont take it personal but if you take marvel mystery oil and put a little water with it, you will see it turns a milky red and will mix with water in small quantities, if you take a gallon of water and put 3 drops in it, the oil will float on the top. too much wd40 and you will dry out the bearings, this i know because when we make counter tops or use a router with a trimmer blade, it comes with a bearing on the top to roll along the surface and make a flush cut, when doing countertops, sometimes the glue from the laminate gets on the bearing and you need to clean it off, i used to spray wd on it since it cleaned the glue and i thought would grease the bearing but after a few cleanings, the bearing would freeze up, now the other blades i use with bearings on it for woodworking never have the bearing freezup on it and i put 2 and 2 together one day and also confirmed it with my tool guy, he told me that wd would clean but at the same time remove the grease in the bearings causing them to sieze up over time. The oil in the wd is there to displace water from electronics without harming them, its not meant to grease or lube anything, its just an added bonus that it does that, it give a protective layer of oil and pushes the water or moisture away. Like i said before, i would rather use something that is made for a specific purpose than substitute.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
ToyDestroyer

so dont take it personal
I didn't take anything personal, just voicing my opinions.
you take marvel mystery oil and put a little water with it, you will see it turns a milky red and will mix with water in small quantities
I completely agree it will mix together but if left to sit you will find it will seperate back out. Like I said before I think the most important thing is that those new to these engines know that something is needed to protect them at the end of the day.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 PM
nitro61

i have to agree with everybody else dude wd-40 is the exact same thing as after run oil go and read that thing called a label and then we can talk(that is in reply to eroof or what ever his name is)
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
str8.krooked

You guys are all really funny! Ehroof...I'll take your advise. There's a mathematical equation that proves you are correct! I've posted it below:

afterrun oil=$2 or $3 is equal to or less than WD-40=$2 or $3.

afterrun oil=nitro engines / WD-40=general lubricant

I'm going with the afterrun oil!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

don't take this the wrong way, but that doesn't even make sense. I've been working on real cars going on 20 years, I would rather spend 2 dollars on a 1quart of Transmission fluid then 2 dollars on a ounce of the same thing labeled after run oil. He doesn't know everything, he thinks he does, but he doesn't.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 AM
tyhodge07

who cars what you use.. get a redcat and screw the motor up all u want and get a new one
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ROTF, that's what I'm talking about.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
ToyDestroyer

You guys are all really funny! Ehroof...I'll take your advise. There's a mathematical equation that proves you are correct! I've posted it below:

Use what you want it is your engine and your money. The point was that saying WD-40 won't work is not correct. Also ehroof insisted that after run oil absorbs moisture. No oil will absorb moisture!!! Given the proper amount of movement the two will mix for a short period of time but then they seperate back out. His argument against WD-40 is that it just pushed water around and some how after run oil miraculously absorbs the moisture. This is incorect!!! Oil and water do not mix!!! If you insist on using after run oil I would take AAFH's advise and buy transmission fluid instead. No matter what you choose just be sure you use something to protect the engine.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
{GBI}Harryball

Use what you want it is your engine and your money. The point was that saying WD-40 won't work is not correct. Also ehroof insisted that after run oil absorbs moisture. No oil will absorb moisture!!! Given the proper amount of movement the two will mix for a short period of time but then they seperate back out. His argument against WD-40 is that it just pushed water around and some how after run oil miraculously absorbs the moisture. This is incorect!!! Oil and water do not mix!!! If you insist on using after run oil I would take AAFH's advise and buy transmission fluid instead. No matter what you choose just be sure you use something to protect the engine.
AMEN
Old 10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

don't take this the wrong way, but that doesn't even make sense. I've been working on real cars going on 20 years, I would rather spend 2 dollars on a 1quart of Transmission fluid then 2 dollars on a ounce of the same thing labeled after run oil. He doesn't know everything, he thinks he does, but he doesn't.

Who is he? Just wanted to know who you were referring to. I would rather spend the $2 on after run that is meant for nitro engines after you run them (hence the name after run) than to use transmission fluid (no after run or run after in the name).

If your a mechanic then you know that they put trans fluid in an engine to clean it good, its a great cleaner but you cant use it in the engine too long since it will dry out the seals and you will have oil leaks and the valve guides will also start to leak, i wouldnt put it in anything that runs.

I just dont understand this whole debate, just use the products for what they were intended to be used and designed for, no rocket science here, no big expense.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:32 PM
ehroof

ok, take some after run oil, mix it with water and see what happens, it turns milky, thats because it is mixing with the water, i should have used a better term than absorbs, i admit that. now mix some wd40 and water and see what happens, it doesnt mix, it just pushes the water. Wd40 will dry up in time, after run lasts alot longer, to prove this, i clean my cars with wd40, i blow them off with my compressor, spray them down with wd40, let it sit and blow them off, the next day everything is dry. now to test this out, put a few drops of after run oil on something plastic and some wd40, let it sit overnight or for a few days depending on how much you used and see whats there and what has evaporated, i would rather have the one thats still there in my engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.