Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

what is afterrun oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what is afterrun oil?

you can use what you like, i will continue to use after run oil and reccomend that everyone else does too. i am going to end this here and stop posting to this thread, i have said what i wanted to say and what i feel is the correct thing to do and what i have done in the last 25+ years in the hobby. good luck and have fun with whatever you do to maintain your rc.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait don't stop yet. You have a porche or forgein thing like that don't you Or a BMW or some status symbol car like that don't you? Well do you use BMW oil, because BMW says you should or do you use Havoline or something like that? THe answer to that question could possibly explain the love for after run oil, because the industry SAYs you have to use it.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
ehroof

i own a porsche and a mercedes, i use mobile 1 synthetic oil in them. I do use their antifreeze at $40 a gallon because they are phosphate free unlike many cheaper ones you buy in generic automotive stores and the blocks are aluminum. I also use the dot 4 break fluid also, it costs more but i need to use it, you know why? its beacuse if i use regular stuff, it will destroy the engine and cost many thousands of dollars instead of spending a few $ extra on the proper stuff.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

LOL, ok, that's preaty much what I thought. Thanks that preaty much answers my question, now I understand the whole After run oil thing. I'm done with this debate, it's like talking about religion or politics, it'll go no where.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 PM
ehroof

so what your saying is that i should by some generic non phosphate free $5 anitfreeze to put in them so i can pit the aluminum in the block, i see, that makes great sense, then i can spend over $15,000 to replace or repair the engine instead of buying the correct stuff, you see in my opinion i would rather spend a few bucks now than much more later, i would rather not be penny wise and dollar foolish.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Ed give up.. they are just looking for trouble Use afterrun oil and smile
Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: ehroof

so what your saying is that i should by some generic non phosphate free $5 anitfreeze to put in them so i can pit the aluminum in the block, i see, that makes great sense, then i can spend over $15,000 to replace or repair the engine instead of buying the correct stuff, you see in my opinion i would rather spend a few bucks now than much more later, i would rather not be penny wise and dollar foolish.

I didn't say anything, your making things up now, lol.

LOL, no ones trying to start trouble just asking a question.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM
ehroof

whatever
Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 PM
str8.krooked

Just bought my first bottle of afterrun today!!! I'm not paid either...I don't live anywhere near Florida! I run my truck often enough to where you shouldn't even need the stuff, but I bought and used it today!!! Not to worry...I still use WD-40 to clean my truck...it looks nice too!!! Check the Profile...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 PM
ToyDestroyer

No one is looking for trouble. We are just attempting to get the correct information out. After run oil will work but saying it is the best and only thing to use is just plain wrong. There are cheaper and, in the opinion of many, better options. Some of us don't drive fancy cars and would rather use our money wisely. So far the only argument set forth for using only after run oil have been:
1. The manufacturer says it is special made just for RC engines so it must be the best.
2. After run oil is a miracle of science. It somehow mixes with/absorbs all moisture in the engine. It does what no other oil can do.

These two arguments fail to stand up to the logical thought test. Lets go ahead and apply that test and see where we stand.
Lets think, would someone ever exagerate or intentionally mark a product as something special in an attempt to charge more for a common product. If we think about this question logically we will find that a manufacturer is selling a product to make money. Oil is pretty common. If a manufacturer of an oil product wants to make money they need to have a special oil. Is it more likely that they spent millions of dollors over many years to find just the right oil to bottle up and sell to you at a couple bucks a bottle just to protect your cheap little RC engine. Or would it be more logical for them to spend a small amount of money to quickly find an existing oil that works well and simply put a new label on it so that they can charge more. I think the later is the more logical choice.
Now lets think logically again for just a little longer and attempt to test the second argument. After run OIL is a oil product. It is probably safe to say that in grade school we all learned through a neat little experiment that OIL and WATER do not mix. Now we all, I hope, can agree on that point. So now lets go back to the thought of the first argument. Is it more logical to think that a company spent millions of dollars to up-end what is widely accepted or is it more logical to think that they simply put out a product that acts just like all the other oil products already on the market.

Both arguments fail the logic test. I will say it one more time, it does not matter what type of oil you decide to use. All those new to these engines need to know is that you need to add an oil product to the engine after you run it so that it does not rust. I recomend using WD40, AAFH recomends the use af transmission fluid, Ehroof says ARO is best. Who is right? Does not matter! The only thing that is important in this debate is that all will work and you have CHOICES!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Just bought my first bottle of afterrun today!!! I'm not paid either...I don't live anywhere near Florida! I run my truck often enough to where you shouldn't even need the stuff, but I bought and used it today!!! Not to worry...I still use WD-40 to clean my truck...it looks nice too!!! Check the Profile...
There's absolutly nothing wrong with using after run oil or buying it. The whole point is, that there is nothing wrong with using any of the options that have been mentioned and that it's important to know that there is nothing extra special about it, other than it's a type of oil that's been packaged in a container labeled after run. Just don't want there to be a misconseption about how oil works and what it does.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Chubbysdad

good choice werfliss.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:31 AM
nantucket

ORIGINAL: ehroof

I also have a vehicle with an aluminum block and heads and guess what... You don't need to spend $40 on a gallon of anitfreeze. You can buy Dex-Cool (you know, the orange stuff that GM uses) it only costs $16 per gallon, and is phosphate free. If General Motors will mass produce cars and trucks with this "lesser quality" coolant in them (inclucing their high performance models with aluminum engine blocks) why can't you use it in your fancy foreign car? Is it because it's foreign, or because that is what you were told is the only thing that will work? Maybe they are just milking you for money.

Who's beeing foolish now?

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just stating a fact. There is other options out there that will save you money and do the exact same thing. I agree with everybody else who said that ARO is not absolutely necessary. You can use WD40, 10w30 (if thats your flavor!) Marvel Mystery Oil or just about any other type of oil when your done running for the day.

Now everybody go have a drink and calm down!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 AM
ehroof

i know all about dex cool, Ford also makes their version, my wife has it in her ford. i still would rather use the stuff that was made for it, its only a few bucks every few years so i dont really see the big deal, you not talking thousands, its only $20. You see i would rather have peace of mind and spend a few dollars than have a problem, go to mercedes or porsche, have them say, what antifreeze did you use, say dex cool and have them say, sorry but your warranty is void, engine will cost $15,000. I dont see that milking me, i see that as a smart spending of $20 instead of trying to save a few dollars literaly. I find nothing wrong with using the correct product for the application and having peace of mind. i learned my lesson about being penny wise and dollar foolish.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

OMG, it's a loosing battle, like talking about religion.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
ehroof

My god is better, LOL
Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

You only think your god is better that's the problem [8D]
Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
ehroof

its not a problem, its the truth [X(]
Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 PM
ToyDestroyer

Hard to take someones "word" as the truth when they stated over and over again that they believe water and oil DO MIX!!! Truth is water and oil do not mix. After run oil is nothing special. And the other types of oil mentioned work just as well and some may/do work better. I will agree that you are not making a horrible choice with the not so miraculous miracle ARO, but there are better cheaper options. Do as you please Ehroof but you should not be telling those new to this that your way is the best and only way. It just isn't true. Your view is the problem when you claim it to be the unquestionable truth. The real truth is the purpose of after run oil is to prevent rust and corrosion in the engine. Any oil spread over a metal surface will protect it from water and prevent rust and corrosion.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
ehroof

you just dont seem to understand what i am saying. its very simple. i use the proper stuff to get the proper results, nothing you say or do will change that, i have always used and will continue to use and will continue to always reccomend using it. you can use WD, transmission fluid, 10w-30 or whatever you want to use or reccomend but as long as i reccomend after run oil for after you run your nitro engine, i cant be wrong, its what its for, your not supposed to use it in your tranmission, oil your lock or hinges or clean your circuit board, its meant to put in your nitro engine, no other reccomendations for it. You can keep this going for another 100 pages but it will not change the fact of what i am saying or change my mind.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

No ones trying to change your mind, but being close minded is just plain ignorant. If our for father were as close minded as you are, we would still be living in trees eating ants and termites. The problem here is not what you choose to use but what you choose to say. ARO is NOT the be all and end all for after run use, you can not go around telling people there is no other way. That is plain obsurd, to even think that there is something that special about after run oil that no one should EVER use anything else to protect the metal on the inside of the engine.

As for the radiator fluid, LMAO, BMW, UD truck, GMC, DODGE, Ford and any other car or truck running an aluminum radiator or engine are running on Dexcool, LMAO they all use the same blend, same exact stuff in different bottles, lol.

Your a trip, get over your self, lol.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Chubbysdad

if he says black you are going to say white. Why dont you just end it and move on.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 AM
ToyDestroyer

Great I say we end it with this post then. After run oil is nothing special. Many oils will do the same thing for alot less money. Basic logic tells us that nearly any oil product could be used to achieve the miracle results some claim ARO produces. Stating that ARO is the best/only way to go is wrong. There has yet to be a sound argument put forth to show that others oils can't be used. By the way after run oil does work great on hinges (matter of fact the only reason my bottle is open was to oil the hinges on a door). In my opinion WD40 works great. I have never had a probelm using it and no one has come foward to claim a problem because of it. ARO is the same as or close to transmission fluid. Transmission fluid is sold at a higher quantity for less money. Only makes sense to use that is you want to use ARO.

The point of this whole debate has not been to get Ehroof to suddenly see the light and change what he is using. I could care less what he uses. The point has been to make it clear to those new to RC engines that they have multiple choices to protect their engines. So on that note lets make it clear.

AFTER YOU RUN YOUR RC CAR YOU NEED TO PROTECT IT WITH AN OIL BASED PRODUCT. THERE ARE MANY CHOICES AS LISTED EARLIER, AND ALL WILL WORK!!! THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU USE SOMETHING TO PROTECT THE ENGINE BEFORE YOU PUT IT AWAY.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

No ones trying to change your mind, but being close minded is just plain ignorant. If our for father were as close minded as you are, we would still be living in trees eating ants and termites. The problem here is not what you choose to use but what you choose to say. ARO is NOT the be all and end all for after run use, you can not go around telling people there is no other way. That is plain obsurd, to even think that there is something that special about after run oil that no one should EVER use anything else to protect the metal on the inside of the engine.

As for the radiator fluid, LMAO, BMW, UD truck, GMC, DODGE, Ford and any other car or truck running an aluminum radiator or engine are running on Dexcool, LMAO they all use the same blend, same exact stuff in different bottles, lol.

Your a trip, get over your self, lol.

you just dont seem to get the point, i dont really care what the other brands of anitfreeze are made from, the extra couple of dollars it costs every few years doesnt concern me, your talking $15 a gallon compared to $40, every 3 years. I use what they say because if i dont and something happens they will blame that and my costs will be much higher than the $25 every 3 years. What you saying is called penny smart and dollar foolish, i can deal with spending $25 every 3 years then $15,000 or more. What dont you understand about that? I dont think i can explain it any simpler than that. same with the after run, the $4 bottle of after run lasts me a year and i run many cars, why bother saving $1 on a different product that according to you is the same? I'll spend the extra $1 and have a peace of mind knowing i am using the correct product.

I am over myself, always have been, i will not change my mind neither will mercedes or porsche because you said so. I wouldnt put wd40, 10w30 or after run in my transmission, simple as that but since you say and a few select others say that they are all the same thing, i and others should do it? sorry, i dont think so, i disagree and will continue to disagree.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ROTFLMAO, you go boy.

Oh F.Y.I. I was at a radiator shop dropping off a radiator and I aske the guy that owns the place about your Expensive BMW Fluid and about the dex cool, just for the sack of curiosity and he went into this long speach abotu why not use any manufacturer radiator fluid or Dexcool. The skinny of it is that Manufacturer fluids, like your BMW or whatever status symbol car you have, change chemicaly and cause a sludge build up on the inside of the components, like the water pump blades and so on, the heat from combustion causes a chemical change in teh properties of the fluid and the stuff that makes it long life none phoshorate radiator fluid causes a sludgy build up. He said if your going to insist on running that stuff he recommended changing the fluid at the most every 10,000 miles at the least every 5,000 if you do it at 10,000 he also recommened running a bottle of white vinager through the system for about 1,000 miles to help clean out the sludge that's left behind and the varnish. He said the best possible radiator fluid you could use is the Toyota radiator fluid, it's like a redish purple color.

I didn't know any of that, and found it interesting, just thought I would share. I knew about your cooling system turning into a battery after a certain amount of time. If your not sure when to change your fluid one easy way to tell is probe the fluid with a DC volt meter and if you even get the slightest voltage reading it's time to change your radiator fluid.

I don't care what you do or say, your wrong about the ARO being something special. It'll never change the facts abotu how oil works and the purpose of ARO, so you say ARO, and we'll all say Transmission fluid, you leave us alone we'll leave you alone. You're wrong, the rest of the world is wrong, it doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.