Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

First speed plane

Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First speed plane

Hello

Well this up coming weekend should be the first flight of my firest speed plane its is a great plans viper 500 arf with a jett 50 fire. The plane has had a good bit of fiberglassing done to it to strengthen areas such as - tail fire wall wing hold down blocks,

I would like to hear any advice you guys ahve how much expo do you fly with right now i have 35% programmed in more less??? do i need any mixes like ail to ruddavator or anythign like that

(ps the jett is turning an apc 8.8x8.5 at 17 600[8D])

any advice will be great

one more question do you think the servos i ahve are enough all jr 821 except for throtal )

Steven
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First speed plane

....you will need expo on the elevator. At speed if you touch the elevator it will go straight up. [X(]

The ailerons were ok even at speed. My plane was near uncontrolable because of the elevator on the
first flights until I tamed it down.

FBD.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Flying freak

Hello

I would like to hear any advice you guys ahve how much expo do you fly with right now i have 35% programmed in more less??? do i need any mixes like ail to ruddavator or anythign like that

one more question do you think the servos i ahve are enough all jr 821 except for throtal )

Steven
You really do not need expo on a q-500 plane and mixing is only needed if it is a V-Tail. Servos have plenty of power. Good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Flying freak

It is a v tail the only mixing is for the elvator and rudder (bascivally activating the function in the tx) other then that i dont have any other mixs
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Don't try to over-think this one too much.

The Q-500 design is stable, and smooth.

Your setup is good as is.

And..... you have a throttle......... use it
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

With quickies I use about 10% expo, but its really a personal thing. IF you like 35%, use it, it really won't hurt anything.

Bob gave the best advice, use the throtte

Get it in the air, and cut it back until you can get it trimmed. IF your comfortable with the throws after its trimmed, open the throttle up and check it out.

Have fun. Use a little right rudder on takeoff, it will help keep it straight.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Flying freak

Talking about take off what is the preffered method? should i put it on the ground try and point it best i can when i place it on the runway and hit the gass or should i give it full power and jsut "throw" it into the air? this is how they take all the scats up in my club (another q500 plane)
Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 PM
daven

Preferred method is having someone hold the plane on the ground as you throttle to full. When you give the nod, they give the plane a push, normally at full throttle, holding full elevator and a little right rudder.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave's way works great. I have my rudder mixed into the elevator to help go straight on take off. It also comes in handy for landing.
I am happy with about 20% expo in the elevator and dual rate for ailerons. If you are like me you will feel like it takes forever to roll while sport flying.

Get all the jitters out before you take off it will be a fun plane to fly.

One other little thing I do is set my timer. I have right at 3 min of flight from a tank. It's nice to know when the motor is going to stop, or at least have ten seconds advance notice.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

FF:

Quit swetting this thing. Its just a very fast sport ship with a engine you can depend on. The jett iddle is very reliable, so once up, come back on the throttle below 50% to slow things down and getting things trimmed. Once trimmed, you can do loops, rolls ect. AFTER YOU GET USED TO IT. Until you get her trimmed, you won't know what you got. I have had bad luck with the V tails through the years, even factory birds, so I stay with the conventional. If either side of the V is off, you may have some serious issues. Should be solid and easy to fly, if not keep her off WFO, that engine will just keep on cranking out what you want with reliability. I like things a little tail heavy, so my setup reqires expo and DR. In my go faster bird, there's a Jett 60LX, the bird just a Q-500 streemlined like a Q-40, the combo is scary fast and eats quickees for lunch, period. Ended up drilling a new hole for a clevis between the servo shaft and last inside hole, and standard horn on the elev, outside hole. Aileron DR is 100%.70%, and 50%, ends up at 50% on the pylons. Expo is 70, 70, 50. Elevator is 75%, 65%and 50% DR, expo is 70, 65, 50. On pylons use either lower of last two. You are going to have to use DR on the elevator to get to the factory recommended throws. Get the CG spot on, and use the factory throws. Takeoff is always at high rates, and then back to low. My radio JR 10X has 3 rates for each surface, you may have only two so use high and low. For your first flight, stick some expo in the ailerons, and elevator. You can always ruduce and modify to fly the way you want, we all are different!! You want to be able to keep this thing in the air and get it down in one piece. Yes, can fly mine without any DR or expo, but not cumfortably 15' off the ground around the pylons. I enjoy cranking the beast up, turn around and set hit down on the taxiway, taxi out to a full stop and then takeoff and watch the guys run for the fence or shack. Dont know what they are most afraid of, the speed of the plane or the age of the pilot who occasionally yells "which way did it go". Could this be a mortal sin? ENJOY
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM
vicman

then takeoff and watch the guys run for the fence or shack. Dont know what they are most afraid of, the speed of the plane or the age of the pilot who occasionally yells "which way did it go". Could this be a mortal sin? ENJOY
One of my favorite moves too.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
daven

Vicman.

When you say you have rudder mixed with Elevator, doesn't that make the plane turn goofy?

Very rarely is rudder needed on these things, but it is very necessary on takeoff. I normally start with a little extra rudder throw, and keep backing it off until full right rudder stick makes a perfectly straight takeoff (into the wind).
Old 08-27-2007, 05:21 PM
vicman

Nope!
Actually it's pretty effective as rudders go. It just kicks the tail out in the desired direction. Of course I am only really using at takeoff and landing to point it where I want to go. Otherwise it's bank and yank like the rest of us.[8D]

Maybe mix isn't the proper term. I have two servos for the elevator and the rudder works them also. Otherwise I mix balsa, fiberglass, and dirt.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

K.I.S.S. On My Viper/Webra 55, I fly with high rates from start to finnish on all surfaces ele.1/4", rud. 1/4" and ail 3/8". I run 50% expo elevator only. Make sure you have plenty of up trim available on the first flight.Keep the speed down till it's trimmed. Use after market race wheels and make sure they run freely. On take off, I hold some right rudder and a bit of right aileron and up elevator. ROLL the power on so you don't pull it over. It should be in the air in 20 feet or less. Once in the air, let it climb slowly till it has some speed. Or you can use the "blast off method" that daven wrote about (be ready to get off the elevator). And most of all...see what bob27s wrote.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do a great "knife edge" 2 ft off the ground into a tumbleweed. What can I say.[]
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

FF:

Think I might rethink the dolly a little. One of the best launchers I have seen operate was built out of 3/4 PVC pipe elevated about 45%. Wings simply slide along the 4' or so launch ramp, a tube in the center to keep it from hitting the prop on the sides and rubber launch setup actuated from a foot control. Bet you can find one on rcu with a search. Ahhhh, go for it, take some spare props. Luck & ENJOY
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
freakingfast

I've flown trainers that were worse to take off & land. Don't sweat it Flying freak. But the spare props arn't a bad idea. LOL
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Flying freak

I ahve just hit a bit of a problem, were do you guys put a switch on these thigns? my only idea would be to ahve it on the top of the tank compartment (i ahve a jett bubless 6oz in there(slim)) were did you guys put them?

Steven
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
freakingfast

That could work but, if it's close to the engine, vibration could damage it with time. Mine is on the plane's left side, under the wing's trailing edge, half way down. Just ahead of the rear wing screws. That's just my choice. Things to consider for switch placement: (1) don’t have it down stream of the exhaust or carb. (2)Don't put it in a place where you could turn it off accidentally in a plane that is hand launched. (3)Easy to get at or others to find to turn off. (4)I place the slide switch type so that "ON" is to the rear, the vibration and wind will tend to keep it there. (some racers have a rod attached to an internal switch so that only a small rod is outside for push- pull operation) (5) Avoid extensions on the power leads. If you must, get the heavy duty type. (6) Cut a hole for the switch in a place where it won't hurt the plane's strength, sometimes I put reinforcement around it.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM
daven

Mine is on the left side at the bottom of the fuse, right at the TE of the wing in front of the rear former. Snug fit, but fine. I normally run a wire (straightened paper clip works well) out the side, but if you want to be real "cool" you can use fly fishing line. Let about 3" hang out either side of the fuse. Pull one side to turn the plane on, and the other side to shut off the plane.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to hand launch my Viper....it has no rudder, and no tail wheel....just a plastic skid
on the back. I fly off a smooth (dry lake) surface, so it's just about impossible to take the
plane off the ground....it will ground loop before you can say...."oh shoot". [sm=75_75.gif]

FBD.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Flying freak

I ahve just hit a bit of a problem, were do you guys put a switch on these thigns? my only idea would be to ahve it on the top of the tank compartment (i ahve a jett bubless 6oz in there(slim)) were did you guys put them?

Steven
I usually put mine below the wing on the side of the fuselage....closer toward the bottom of the fuse..... where ever it fits, and does not bump into anything else when assembled.

oh....
On the old Q-500 aircraft I use for sport...... I taxi them in an out for take-off and landing just like any other sport plane. Slow and steady applying power for take off...... just a touch of right rudder. Does not need a steerable tailwheel .... and yes the V-tail does turn to taxi.... just hold full up while taxing.

For your first few launches...... follow what Dave said.... have someone hold the tail while you power up (Id suggest going to half throttle even) just so the plane will tend to track straight when released. Again, hold a bit of right rudder.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Flying freak

It sounds like you guys put the switch under the wing on the left side basically right were my bttery ahs to go (cg thing since the jett is so light....)
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM
daven

Yeah, my battery was behind the servos on the tray. Maybe you could mount the switch behind the servos where the battery is suppose to go, and put the battery in front of the fuel tank.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Flying freak

I think part of the trick might be getting a smaller battery i got this HUGE 1100 mah 4.8 volt jr battery if i get one of the smaller (500 mah) battery placment will be easier right now the abttery is infront of the servo tray about one inch infront of the rear wing bolts but i ahve to be carful when i foam it to make sure that the ail servo does not get jamed by the foam......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.