Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a real FAST plane!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Looking for a real FAST plane!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:13 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a real FAST plane!

I think a lot of times when you hear "I can't see the plane" its the camera man that lost it in his viewfinder.

Trying to record these things can be a challenge.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know various comments like that come out of my yapper when I'm flying, but many of them are exaggerated and are just me blabbering away to myself. I think everyone has to go through a bit of stark terror and reality training with fast stuff, so naturally the earlier forays are higher risk. If you mitigate that by not flying on a busy club weeknight, but rather in some kind of isolation or minimal exposure scenario until you get the hang of it, then that's all good. IOW figure out how not to plant it away from people, then join in.

MJD

Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

Something on a different tone. I was going through Youtube clips on fast RC planes and it was quite noticeable, especially with hot planes like the Magnum and some others where the pilots mumble or say out loud ''I can't see the plane, I cant' see the plane'' or ''I've lost the plane ''(visually)......

I don't know how experienced some of these guys are but I did get the impression that some of these planes were too fast for the pilots.... At 200 mph this could be a safety disaster waiting to happen...

But then there were also guys that did some immaculate high speed flying - and a pleasure to watch.

So how about an age survey? I'm 26 and have no problems following my Magnum, but guys watching it often mention how they can't see it. Mind you, without my contacts, I can barely navigate my apartment.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think it helps to have some tracking experience.

Flying a fast delta is a piece of cake........ if it sillouettes on you, just fly out of it. Don't do any fancy stuff, fly a planned routine, stick to a mentally rehearsed pattern, etc. until you get comfortable with having those edge on views where it seems to have vanished.
At a distance colors get mottled, so I just want to see a solid color and the smooth look on bottom. The top has the jagged fins, cowl and mottled highlights that you can pick up in a split second at a distance. Try to avoid those long distances though...[:-]
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
daven

A week after flying my first Nelson I went to the eye Dr.

Its amazing how much better you can fly when you plane doesn't look like a fuzzy blob.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM
combatpigg

No doubt. I've got a new pair due to arrive next week. The degradation is gradual but steady and shocking to see the improvement during the eye exam.
I'm 55, played baseball most of my life and in that sport you have .1 second to decide whether to bail out, swing, or take a pitch, another .2 seconds to actually do the swinging or bailing out. You only get a snap shot image in your head to make your decisions with.
Flying these planes is so much easier if you don't go out of your way to make it more difficult. Fly in a way that reduces the amount of split second decisions that you have to make.
Be ahead of the plane mentally.

Imagine flying in a group of 3 planes at 180 mph, wing tip to wing tip, going around a .....I wouldn't dare!....
...putting that into perspective, flying speed planes in a gentle "speed pattern" is with in the grasp of any one who can see his plane well enough at a distance. The trouble that some may be having is with planes that have too much throw built into the linkages, planes that are crooked, not balanced, etc. A well set up plane takes no more skill to fly at top speed than at any other speed..I think they fly better, the faster they go.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
BreakingPoint
My Feedback: (2)

This question is for you engineers out there. I’ve noticed a lot of speed planes have a similar cowling that has a teardrop shape on both sides of the cowling, like the Sundowner, Little Toni, Ally Cat, etc.. Obviously not all of them have that, but there must be some advantage to that shape. Any idea what that shape does for the aerodynamics?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hides the cylinder heads on the real planes the model actually has more drag because of them.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: BreakingPoint
Any idea what that shape does for the aerodynamics?
It does wonders when the aircraft is powered by a flat-four Continental or Lycoming.. you realize these are semi-scale or sorta-scale models, right?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CP, I do the planned move method when I'm a little iffy about what the plane is doing as well.
Three up and going around pylons is pretty friggin awsome, you really need to try it. I'm not at the 180 level...yet.
42yrs old and had Lasik 7 years ago, went from 20/600 to 20/20 in less time than it takes to fly ten laps.[8D]
Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 PM
BreakingPoint

The cowling makes sense now. Setup like the real plane. Does seem like that adds some drag on an RC size. I quess that's why you don't that type of cowling on a Q40.. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
MJD

Yeah, if the model is purpose designed for racing and not scale, the only cowlings you'll see are cowlings that are needed for streamlining. If it's a sport airplane they are there for scale looks. But some of the pylon events require some passing scale fidelity, so you'll see unused blisters on the cowls where the miniature aircraft engines would normally go, and they help nothing if not stuffed with engine except for compliance with the rules. They make a bit of drag, but not end-of-the-world type drag when they are closed off on scale models, unlike the real ones that are cooling ducts and streamlined cylinder fairings all in one - like four control line speed cowlings fused together in tandem pairs.

MJD

Old 12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: vicman

CP, I do the planned move method when I'm a little iffy about what the plane is doing as well.
Three up and going around pylons is pretty friggin awsome, you really need to try it. I'm not at the 180 level...yet.
42yrs old and had Lasik 7 years ago, went from 20/600 to 20/20 in less time than it takes to fly ten laps.[8D]

Any details on your Lasik experience? I have been contemplating it. My only worry is that it would be a waste of capital to get done if my vision wasn't fully corrected. It doesn't do me much good to go from 20/600 to say 20/60 and still need corrective lenses. I know that results are not guaranteed, however.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
daven

I was given a 95% chance of getting to 20/20 vision about this time last year.

Had Lasik done in January, and am barely at 20/30 and suffer from a bad dry eye condition due to the procedure. Have taken more series of drops to promote tearing than I can tell you and nothing helps. On the other end of it, I know many people that have had it done and love it.

If it is for near or far sidedness, I'd say go for it. If it is a astygmatism I'm not sure they are there yet.

20/30 is not good enough to race (IMO), especially when everything is a hair fuzzy. Had to pick up glasses this spring, and now trying to decide if I want to go back under the laser for a "enhancement" as they call it. Looking back on it, I should have put my $2,700 towards Q40's and Nelsons.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

I don't know if you've decided which path to take on your quest for speed, but a YS 110 in your present airframe will probably do 120-125mph on 20% fuel. Add another 30-40% nitro and you can get into the 140mph range.

The nice thing about it is once you tune the motor it can be as simple to fly as any sport plane. They are not touchy. I fly the same prop all year round and I rarely touch the needle. It will idle fairly low, but you will probably have to kill the motor to land.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BreakingPoint

This question is for you engineers out there. I’ve noticed a lot of speed planes have a similar cowling that has a teardrop shape on both sides of the cowling, like the Sundowner, Little Toni, Ally Cat, etc.. Obviously not all of them have that, but there must be some advantage to that shape. Any idea what that shape does for the aerodynamics?
My Miss Dara F1 ( set up for sport) back in the 80's had a cowling on both sides. The engine was in one side and not sure if the other was required by some rule or not.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79901.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1337212  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 PM
BreakingPoint

Chris, what prop would you recommend for this setup with a YS110? Is this what you fly?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM
BreakingPoint

Well I just bought a Lanier Predator Q-500 plane at a local swap-meet. It has a Thunder Tiger 42 motor on it with a stock muffler turning an apc 9X6 at 14,300 rpm's on 15% nitro. Any suggestions on how to make it faster. I flew it for the first time yesterday and it is farily quick, but defnitely not fast as I want. It was probably doing around 100 mph. Would really like to know if it can get up to 130 with this motor.

I also have a new OS 46ax that I could use.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The plain bearing TT .42 will not do if you want to go fast!
Put in the OS .46 AX instead and be sure and use a 150cc Tettra "Bubble less tank" if you are serious!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
BreakingPoint

Thanks. I'm sure you're right about the TT 42. Runs very well, just not as powerful as the OS 46. If I put the OS 46 on it, should I change out the muffler to something different from stock? Any ideas what prop might be best for speed on the OS 46? Maybe a 8X9 or 9X8?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

9x8, 9x9 or 10x7 works well on that engine. I think a 8" is too small for a 46AX.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
combatpigg

After looking at the title of this thread, especially with the exclamation mark [!!!]......and to fullfill the stated goal this guy needs a Q-500 Jett or Nelson engine, or similar. That should take care of his needs for awhile.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM
BreakingPoint

I would love to get one of those Jett Q500 motors for it eventualy. Not enough $$ right now, so I'll have to stick with the OS 46 for a while. Can someone tell me if there is any advantage to removing the baffle in the muffler for an OS 46? Would there be a noticable increase in power? Would I lose too much tank pressure for reliable operation?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

plenty of pressure with baffle removed, and its good for 2-300 rpm usually
Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

After looking at the title of this thread, especially with the exclamation mark [!!!]......and to fullfill the stated goal this guy needs a Q-500 Jett or Nelson engine, or similar. That should take care of his needs for awhile.
The issue is "fast" is a reletive term that changes value based on experience. If you ask Lance Armstrong what fast is he will say getting his Schwinn up to 35-40 MPH on a downhill in the French wine country is a rush. Then ask a Cafe motorcycle racer or a Nascar driver what is fast and it will be about 200'ish MPH. Then ask an astronaut and so on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.