Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a real FAST plane!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Looking for a real FAST plane!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a real FAST plane!

GP .46 size revolver. beef up fire wall and gear to my specs and build new stab, add OS 120AX and 14.5x11.5N prop and get 130-135 with the gear hanging in the breeze. very east to fly and land. this is with a garmin gps stuck in the canopy lol.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
BreakingPoint
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me if the os 46 would see much benifit with a macs tunable pipe, or a macs black non-tunable pipe, or removing the baffle from the stock muffler, or just using the stock muffler with baffle? I'm thinking about buying a tuned pipe, but don't want to wast my money if it's only going to give me a few hundred more rpms.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I drilled out the exit tip on the exhaust and took out the baffle on my FX and noticed quite a noticable difference, some might not agree, but it did increase performance for me, not much less than the jettstream muffler I also have for it.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
mk1spitfire

What airframe will you use to help you see the noticiable power improvements a tuned pipe makes?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

If you ask Lance Armstrong what fast is he will say getting his Schwinn up to 35-40 MPH on a downhill in the French wine country is a rush.
I don't think so! I can do 30+ mph on a flat, 50-60 mph down hill on my bicycle.

TW
Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
BreakingPoint

I'll be running a Q-500 airframe and an os 46fx motor
Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wonder

If you ask Lance Armstrong what fast is he will say getting his Schwinn up to 35-40 MPH on a downhill in the French wine country is a rush.
I don't think so! I can do 30+ mph on a flat, 50-60 mph down hill on my bicycle.

TW
Okay, but do you see my point? People are belittleing this guy because he is shooting for something around 130 MPH instead of aproaching 200 MPH.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hopefully he doesn't feel belittled. The point I'm making is that if you ever saw a Nelson powered Q500 plane flashing around a pylon pole at 160 mph....the definition of "Real Fast Plane!!!!" is usually pretty unanimous.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
BreakingPoint

Don't worry guys. I don't feel belittled, just underpowered. I agree with all the "speed-freaks" out there (I'm an aspiring "speed-freak" myself), 130mph is not super fast. At some point I will probably invest in a good Jett Q-500 motor or something like that. For now, I'm just hoping to be able to get my current airframe going as fast as it can on the OS 46 that I already have sitting around. Up until now, all my airplanes have been doing 80-100 mph, so I think 130 would be a nice increase in speed for me right now.

By the way, I was at the field today and a fellow club member had his Kelly Racer plane there. Wow! what a good looking plane. I was amazed at how thin the wings are on the thing. Looks really cool. Does anyone have any comparison between the Sundowner 50 and the Kelly? Which one is faster, given the same motor, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There's all kinds of vintage engines still NIB that sell for pretty cheap if you bide your time at the auction sites.
Some day, some guy who really knows what he's talking about should do up a list and rate them here.
There's all sorts of great specimens out there. The K&B 7.5 might be the best bargain you commonly see.