Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BEST 50cc CHINA ENGINE RIGHT NOW??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BEST 50cc CHINA ENGINE RIGHT NOW??

I just started using my first gas engine, a Mintor 38cc. I hope it lasts more than 3 years!!! But it is not my only plane, so, not much heavy use.

One thing to think about the Chinese engines: If they all use the same components with the same level of quality/metallurgy..then the engines that produce more power are going to last a shorter time due to greater stress (everything else being equal).

So, thinking perversely, if they all use common parts of similar quality, and they all still need to be repaired/rebuilt every 3 years, then buy the cheapest and throw it away when it wears out and go get another cheap one to replace it.

But if you want a "family heirloom", you will have to spend some more money.

Make your choice up front and live with the consequences!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a video of another China made engine being machiened ! Yup....Thats it FOLKS !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=XZh6WGR16q0
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

captn you are so right that is what the china steel looks like junk junk junk always will be
Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm...interesting video! though no where did I see where it said it was Chinese metal; Kennametal seems to be an American company...
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
llindsey1965

captn  i remember when i first got in this hobby everyone wanted the best engines and equipment  , in the 80s i flew kraft radios they were american made os was top line engine then  they are made in japan  all my servos rec batteries and radio were made in the USA  but now all everyone wants is cheap china junk and then they gripe when they crash a plane  , burn up a engine  , you get what you pay for  all china engines are like buying a chevy chevette  and the american made engines are like corvettes , superior in every detail
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Here is a video of another China made engine being machiened ! Yup....Thats it FOLKS !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=XZh6WGR16q0
I always wondered why trying to machine cast iron was so hard and it tended to come out so rough. That video tends to explain it all quite well.

I used to he a Pro-Line radio system user and Fox engine user way back then 1970's and 1980's. I actually did work at Pro-Line for several years a long time ago too.
Anyway back then Pro-Line was sort of the top of the line for radio systems and serious pattern flyers. Pro-Line had the really cool machined metal gymbals in their Custom Competion series of radios too. No chintzy plastic gymbals to cause problems.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

hmmm...interesting video! though no where did I see where it said it was Chinese metal; Kennametal seems to be an American company...

They Kennametal are US based, of course. This would be what you get if you buy a DA.

The internet really provides one a reality check because it shows that people read, but have severe comprehension issues. The question was best 50cc china engine now. Not 60, 70 55 or whatever. Notice also that severe mentally impaired characters bring in Zenoah (Japan) and some just can abstain of dragging DA into this (US made).

Sooner or later someone will discuss the weather here... A shame because if you find a topic interesting you have so much "garbage" to go trough... What is wrong with discussing the OP question?

My 2 (US) cents

Gerry
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

wow another dle crazy, my DA runs circles around the junk china engine if yours doesnt you have it set up wrong , china is nothing but junk their steel is sorry grade their bearings suck , DA uses all top quality parts my da 50R has 80 gallons of fuel thru it and has been on 2 different planes, no problems after every run i run marvel mystery oil thru my carb and into my motors DA is the best engine on the market , if you cant afford one dont try to knock expensive engines DA is all i will use they have a great track record , great warranty , great service and they are made in the good ole USA so send your money to china if you want but i choose to keep mine in th

what kind of rpm's do you get on your DA50 with a xoar 23-8 or even a xoar 22-8? is it on a pipe or canister or just stock side dump muffler?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM
wyo69cowboy

I agree that the internet shows how people love to argue about things that aren't relevant or related lol. That's why I posted about the machining video. FWIW, I like DA but have a DLE55; my wallet voted for me. I am very happy with my 55; it has about 116 flights (15 minu per) so far; I will see if she makes that many, or many, many more without issues others have noted. On a dollar per smile scale, I am pretty happy with it so far....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 PM
wyo69cowboy

BTW, any one else getting a really annoying DLE pop up add showing up when viewing/replying to this thread? Weird coincidence, lol
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

wyo69cowboy, could be the snob effect, ignorance ( didn't read the OP ) or could be the "If I bought it.... it must be the best thing for all other hobbiest". Might be insecurity, still convincing oneself of the "correct decision" and frustrating others with your decision.

I bought my Chinese stuff cause I thought it would be the "best for me". I don't need some aristocrat telling me I can't enjoy my decision. I'll live with it.

Take the off topic stuff to another glorification thread, please.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ec121

A few years ago DA published the sources of their engine parts. The best you can say is that they are assembled in the USA. Not made in the USA. DA may have their parts made to better specs and better QC, but 80%+ were made outside the US. Quality control is the issue. Not what country the parts were made in. I'm with 3136. I rotate planes so my engines should last a lot longer. Not much WOT.
You have your numbers backwards. The ignition module is made in Australia.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
captinjohn

Well I got one of the best china made gas RC engines, but that isnot saying much. I have seen better made 2 stroke engines ...most come out of chain saws, not made in China. The way I look at is, it is better too maybe buy less engines... but better ones. The cost in the long hawl will be less with better made engines....not from china. Capt,n P.S. Maybe even run better!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
llindsey1965

cannister muffler and a menz 24 10 prop at 8500 rpm airplane weighs 15 lbs half throttle unlimited verticle very stable inverted flights no burping or poping smooth very good response and engine has over 80 gallons of fuel through it
Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Wild Child
My Feedback: (7)

I will tell you all..... You get what you pay for! Thats why I fly DA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wild Child

I will tell you all..... You get what you pay for! Thats why I fly DA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!
Who the He double ll cares about your DA ..... this is not a DA thread!

I have DA engines also but that does not apply at all to this thread's title!!

Can anyone on here read thread titles?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM
closetguy

cannister muffler and a menz 24 10 prop at 8500 rpm airplane weighs 15 lbs half throttle unlimited verticle very stable inverted flights no burping or poping smooth very good response and engine has over 80 gallons of fuel through it

if that engine is all stock,you got the strongest DA50 that i ever heard of.
thats stronger than a DA60 on a pipe,you better keep that one.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
closetguy

you should start another thread,HOW I LOVE MY DA.you guy's are something else.
you know i have two DA50's myself,along with two BME58's,two DLE55's,one DLA56 and one Taurus52.i be a busy guy if i jump into every thread and said these are the best engines on earth.
but to each there own.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

So tell us what is so great about china made engines....except being cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap ?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 PM
llindsey1965

i have 3 da 50 R and 2 DA 150 they are all very strong engines , but i will agree the DLE is the best china engine on the market lot of guys fly them i just like the DA engines because they are made in the USA
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've looked at the DLE 55 as a reasonable, cheaper, alternative to the DA50. But you get what you pay for.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 PM
llindsey1965

no we should start a thread why we all should buy american made products , and keep our money right here in the USA , if we did more parts of the hobby would be made here , it wouldnt be as cheap but would you want to work for a dollar a day , not me no way , but i assure if more purchased the american made parts the price would go down some , not as cheap as chinas but a much better product in arfs and maybe radios and servos
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

So tell us what is so great about china made engines....except being cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap ?
Capt, I never ever claimed anywhere the Chinese engines were great engines. I have stated the ones I own (DLE55 and (2) DLE30) run very well and that I am quite pleased with them. Will they last forever, I don't know but the service they have given me so far has been excellent. If one of them blew up tomorrow, I wouldn't think it owed me anything more ... but it would surely be rebuildable at a modest cost.

Like many people who actually fly and have been in this hobby for awhile I have a collection of engines that currently include DA, Zenoah, Quadra, Taurus, Brison and FPE engines plus the DLE engines. All of these engines are currently mounted in flyable airframes and most were no hanger queens over their lifespan. But as I stated before, this thread should only be about Chinese engines and I see myself buying more Chinese engines as well as additional "American Assembled" engines.

For the record, I have not owned any other Chinese gas engines other than the DLE. I have looked at, held and watched some others fly with mixed opinions .... mostly nothing that I would care to own.

Edit: OOps, it seems that I lied in this thread! I found another Chinese engine that I had forgot about mounted in a Yellow Aircraft Zero over in the corner ...... a 3MM 53. Not extremely powerful but reliable and very smooth. Has not been flown in two years though.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

I think what the DA fan boys are so upset over is that the DLE is dominating the 50cc engine sales and the mighty DA is losing ground, why else would they attack the DLE every opportunity they have. The top dog always comes under attack.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Truckracer

no we should start a thread why we all should buy american made products , and keep our money right here in the USA , if we did more parts of the hobby would be made here , it wouldnt be as cheap but would you want to work for a dollar a day , not me no way , but i assure if more purchased the american made parts the price would go down some , not as cheap as chinas but a much better product in arfs and maybe radios and servos
Hmmmm.... wonder what American company would actually produce the cylinders at a price modelers could or would afford?

OK, thats it, I'm starting a new thread where the Chinese engines can be compared to other engines .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.