Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine will not choke

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 06:07 PM
Pelgar
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will not choke

I have an EME 60 engine that ran fine last year. This year I have yet to start it. It will not draw fuel PERIOD????
1/ I have done a carb kit on it
2/ The fuel system works just fine because I ran another engine on it and it works fine.
3/ I have it on my test stand which I have run a dozen engines off of and they all worked fine
4/ I ran it on a 50 cc Revolver last year which I had 40 flights with no problem.
5/ I have an auto start on it and it worked fine last year. This year it has had to do at least 80 starts and will not start.
6/You can hold your thumb over the closed choke and it will not even smell of gas let alone get wet with gas
7/ I got it to fire once by pouring gas into the carb but when it ran out it quit.
8/ My flying field is 44 K from home so it doesn't go out on an airplane just on my test stand.
9/ I also have another one of these engines which runs just fine, exactly the same set up. So yesterday I took the carb and reed valve off of the good engine and installed it on the non starter engine and it did absolutely nothing and the carb and reed valve off the non starter runs my good engine with no problem the old one works just fine on engine that runs. So it is not the carb or reed valve. I took the 2 second switch off of the start and went direct but don't run the start more then 10 seconds at a time..
I am open to possible solutions to rectify this problem.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:45 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Is there any vacuum at the carb when you choke it by hand? If it run when you prime it then I would suspect some thing in the carb or back through the fuel system. Take the cover off the side of the carb that has the fuel reservoir and check for fuel . If no fuel there then the carb pump is not pumping fuel .
Old 07-13-2023, 01:25 PM
Pelgar

In regards to your reply I stated that in item 9 I took the carb and reed valve and block off my other 60 engine including all gaskets and put them on this engine. The carb assembly from the non starting engine I reinstalled on the good engine and it works fine. The carb assembly from the good engine is on the non starting engine and it still won't prime. When you take the reed block off the engine and look on the inside of it you can see the hole for your carb pressure and it is fine. It can't be the carb assembly as I took a complete system off good running engine, The motor has good compression
Old 07-13-2023, 05:45 PM
A. J. Clark

Well if you carb is in good condition then in reference to item 6 when you block the carb opening fuel should be drawn to the carb flow through both pump valves into the reservoir and into the carb throat. So that's not happening?
Old 07-14-2023, 05:38 AM
Pelgar

That is correct. The motor has good compression also . Today I am going to try putting tape over the carb inlet to see how much air movement I have. Also to do the same with carb and reed block removed. What ticks me off is this engine ran super for the last 2 years. Drained the fuel out before winter last November and it hasn't started since. After dragged out spring with high wind and late cold and stupid fight with the goverment over drone flying we finally got back to flying in April and it hasn't started since last fall.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:48 AM
A. J. Clark

Sounds like your going in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:24 AM
Quinnj3

Hi,

I'm going to break this down just so I'm clear, if any of the points aren't correct shoot back.
  • You replaced the carburettor with a known good one
  • You know the engine runs when it has fuel by priming through carb
  • Fuel is not getting to carb by usual priming routes (choking)
  • Fuel line is dry
  • Engine ran previously fine
Couple of things left to consider:
  • Your tank and specifically your clunk line. Do you run a felt filter, inline filter or no filter? If felt or inline check these aren't gummed up from old fuel residue. Check your pickup line for tears. Maybe try putting a fuel bottle for gravity feed above the engine and try starting it.
  • Does your engine have an internal or external pump pulse? If external replace the line, check for blockages. If internal remove the carb and ensure your gasket or other debris isn't blocking the pump pressure hole on the crankcase and carb.
I'm no expert but over the past few weeks I've been struggling with an old (but new) CRRC 45 engine that would run erratically and I just could not get a tune. Eventually after a carb rebuild, new gasket on the carb to crankcase and new lines throughout just today I got a tune that I'm comfortable with. That engine just will not prime or pull fuel into the lines without dropping some fuel into the carb a couple of times. I don't have a power starter. Another annotation, I have a hedge trimmer that had intermittent starting issues. Eventually it wouldn't run at all. I was going to throw it out but decided to check the fuel lines. They were snapped off at the tank. Replaced them and engine runs fine.