Does your DA50 do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does your DA50 do this?

MustangFan,

Thanks for the support on the Zenoah. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, and a little sense of humor goes a long way. I hope I get a chance to try a DA-50 in the future. I agree that the rear mounted carb would make cowl installation much cleaner and easier. After mounting my G-62 in a Giant Stinger and Wild Hare Edge, my next engine will have the rear mounted carb.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:53 PM
deputydog

Speaking of rear mounted carb!!!!! For those of you that have the problem, how close is the carb to the firewall? Does it protrude through or do you have a large enough hole in the firewall so that air flow is not disrupted?
Again, I had this problem @ about 2 gallons but after leaning the low end it pretty much went away. Never cut out in the air though. Only on the ground when you grabbed the tail or made an abrupt turn at idle.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:47 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Joe,
Let's get this straight, you talked to Brain Huffmeijer at DA and he said there are hundreds doing it? Hmmmm, I'll give him a call and drop your name.
It is kind of weird that DA has many many highend customers that have won TOCs and contests of various kinds and that brand of customer is very very happy with their product but there are entry level type 50cc pilots bashing them on the internet.
I'm really really glad DA makes this 50 engine. THere are other 50s for sale too. I'm really glad there are others out there making and competing in this size market too. They all bring their best to our hobby and that is good for everyone. It makes for many choices and this might be one. If anyone want to sell me a DA 50 that is having trouble really cheap, just let me know!~)
Deputydog, that is very much what happened to me too. I leaned the low end some and ran more fuel through it. Bottom line for me is DA will get more of my money and I thank them for being in business and for making an engine in a class that I can use right now. Glad your engine is running great. I never had the engine quit on me in the air either!~)

This engine has given me a very positive experience!

Fly model planes!~)

Joe
Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Rick Sowell
My Feedback: (2)

Deputydog and Joe: you guy's are right on, these other guy's just wont listen to you. this problem will go away! I switched to Amsoil at 100:1 and adjusted my needles and it went away completely. how many of us will put 4-5 gallons of glow fuel through a motor before it gets reliable, why can't a DA take that many also? mine a three turns out on the low end did not sound rich in the air, these things will burn all the extra fuel you can put through it and not quit. good luck you other guy's Rick
Old 04-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Mike Wiz

ORIGINAL: Rick Sowell

Deputydog and Joe: you guy's are right on, these other guy's just wont listen to you. this problem will go away! I switched to Amsoil at 100:1 and adjusted my needles and it went away completely. how many of us will put 4-5 gallons of glow fuel through a motor before it gets reliable, why can't a DA take that many also? mine a three turns out on the low end did not sound rich in the air, these things will burn all the extra fuel you can put through it and not quit. good luck you other guy's Rick

I hope I'm not being lumped in with "these other guys" since I didn't complain about my DA 50. I only offered a sugestion about oil mixture. I haven't run my DA 50 yet. It's still in the box it came in just before Easter break. That said, I will keep the needle adjustment recomendation in mind if my engine does start quitting when stopped abruptly.

Wiz
Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
MustangFan

Goekeli

Lets go light here.

If your not having problems ... great ... others are.
DA engines shouldn't need an engineering degree to operate.

What this thread is about is many are having a problem, we want a way to fix it ... some have had plane damage due to quiting in the air ... some have had multiple ignition module failures ... all we want to do is find out what to do.

It's very unfair to make a blanket statement that we are "entry level people" ( neophytes ) when you do not know the background of anyone.

Like I said, if your not having trouble ... great ... then you don't need this forum ... and your not helping us If you don't have someting positive to contribute.

It's sounding like you are associated with DA and are taking this personal.
If you have the magic formula ... relay it to us ... but needle tweeking only isn't working for all of us.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:13 PM
fly3dnyc

My DA was doing the same thing and as I started leaning out the engine the condition stopped. I started leaning it out as soon as the problem started and with in a few flights the problem went away. I turned the low end needle very little at a time 1/16 of a turn more or less. Now that I have 6 gallons though it, two with 100-1 the engine runs purrfect. Try leaning out the engine to start before making it too complicated.

One thing I can say about DA customer service is they respond to your questions and concerns. Ultimately we need to figure things out for ourselves and RCU has the forum for it.

Good luck.

BG
Old 04-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Like I have always said here, why on earth would someone NOT lean out the low end needle ?
the engine manufacturers don't have ESP, thay can't predict prop sizes and atmospheric conditions...YOU have to do the fine tuning.....You WILL NOT, CAN NOT damage an engine by adjusting the needles on the ground, then flying the plane..If it idles on the ground and transitions well it needs to be adjusted until it doesn't, then opened up until it does...Too rich is as bad as too lean, especially with CD ignition..A too rich lower end setting will cause the engine to bog when the throttle is opened..The ignition HAS to change timing according to crankshaft rpm..If a rich condition causes slow transition the ignition can't advance properly...
Ignitions don't react until the rpm changes, no matter who made the ignition in the first place...
There's nothing in a Walbro carb that could possibly react to something as slight as a change in attitude.....The problem, if there is one, is not from a properly adjusted Walbro....
Old 04-20-2004, 03:14 PM
MustangFan

Please Read post #31

Who said we were not tweaking the needles to solve this problem.

Engine transitions fine ... set the low end and high end with a tachometer ... still stalls when the plane moves downhill or abruptly but never on run-up ... sometimes quits in the air during maneuvers ... but never when flying straight and level.

I'm thinking (hoping ) when I get to 100:1 mix it will help. So far only 4 gallons used last season ... waiting on the weather.

Seems like a break-in problem from what has been reported. Maybe some engines have rings etc. that seal better than others when new.
This is what we don't really know ... what are we fighting ... rings ... reed ... high oil content during break-in ... combination ?
Whatever it is it seems real to alot of us, and other engine types don't seem to exibit this phenomenon.

Anyone with info .... keep us posted.

Good luck to all.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:17 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very tempted to make a CD which demonstrates listening to an engine to determine how well it is adjusted.
It sems that this most important part of tuning is simply an unknown art for those with "problem engines".
Maybe if I set it to rap stuff - it will sell ---
I have never been able to tune an engine by any fu--in chart or a tachometer.
The tach reads the results -- that's all.
For you entry level guys - --get with some old fart who can show you what to listen for - it will save you much time and money .
Old 04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
MustangFan

Thanks for that informative reply .... I'm sure that will help.

I got with many old farts ... problem still there ... and I am an old fart myself.

We have tried many things ... including tach ... listenening ... whatever.
We get other engines to run just fine.

Who died and left you expert.
I won't need your CD.
Grow up !
Old 04-20-2004, 05:10 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Good lord, was there a full moon last night??
Guys chill out for crying out loud, it's only an engine!
Why do you guys feel the need to attack each other over this??

I for one, when the times comes to run mine, will follow Ralph's suggetion's on tuning the low needle. This is my third DA and have gas engines from two other manufactures. I have worked as a two stroke mechanic on marine, chain saw and motorcycles and I have never come across a problem like this before.

I am not worried about this, knowing how Dave runs his business, if there is a problem he will take care of it!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:38 PM
newshoundaussie

Hey Dick don't need your cd thanks, been very active in this hobby for 35 years. If you don't have anything productive to say keep it to yourself.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Nogyro

Well Dick, you tried. Keep posting, I for one learn a lot from your posts.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM
bentgear

dick, where were you a few years ago when this old fart needed a set of trained ears!!!!!! Its OK tho cause I found another old fart that was able to listen, touch, listen, touch and give me the sweetest running engine I have seen.

Guys - stop - pay a little bit of attention. Between dick and RCIGN1 they have seen a lot of stuff over time. What they say right now may not apply to YOUR particular problem, but learn from them none the less, you will be better off for it in the long run.

Ed M.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

DA sent us a new carb. We installed it and spent 6 hours tweaking it. It fails in the very same manner, if you lift the tail or abruptly stop the model while taxiing the engine stops. We are returning the new carb to DA and just going to put lots of time on the engine.

Joe
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Hey Joe
Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Well, mine doesn't seem to have this problem.
The only thing I did was to lean the low end a bit, because as set from DA, it was way too rich. I also made sure I had an exit air opening so as not to have a lot of turbulence right at the carb.

I only have about 4 tanks through it. I don't have any hills, but I will try abruptly stopping it and lifting the tail to see if it will do the same.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Futurase

I have been monitoring this thread closely as I have a new DA 50 that I have yet to fire up. After all the bickering and banter is done I hope this tread continues as it is a legimate problem and a thread like this keeps the pressure on DA to resolve it or one of the member here will come across the solution. Either way all of us win.

I believe it will be resolved as DA did not get the reputation they have by giving up at the first little problem they came across. DA has answered every question I ever had and treated me like their long lost brother. Exactly whay I bought from them.

I just want us to stay to the point and resolve this.

Just my .02

Scooter Ross
Old 04-22-2004, 01:05 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Futurase

I have been monitoring this thread closely as I have a new DA 50 that I have yet to fire up. After all the bickering and banter is done I hope this tread continues as it is a legimate problem and a thread like this keeps the pressure on DA to resolve it or one of the member here will come across the solution. Either way all of us win.

I believe it will be resolved as DA did not get the reputation they have by giving up at the first little problem they came across. DA has answered every question I ever had and treated me like their long lost brother. Exactly whay I bought from them.

I just want us to stay to the point and resolve this.

Just my .02

Scooter Ross
Thank you scooter!

As one who has finally given up waiting for the mystic BME 55, I was going to order the DA50...until I saw this issue. Now, I would like to see the resolution before I plunk down the bucks.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Futurase

I have a DA 50, but have refrained from posting as I have not run mine and have no comments to give which would be insightful. They would just be speculation. I do not think the problem is in the rings wearing in, but that is just me. I am NO engine expert so...

If I had it to do over again I would buy the DA as their reputation proceeds itself and I trustt hem to work it out. Knock on wood!!! Mine might not do it[&:]

There are guys on here who DO know a lot about gas engines and I want them to post things so that people like me can learn.
I am pretty good with glow engines, but gas engiens are a new realm to me. A different animal altogether. I know what one sounds like and acts like whe it is right

Scooter Ross
Old 04-22-2004, 10:09 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I am familar with one of the Problem DA 50's. Althought I have not adjusted the engine myself I did listen to it run. 15 years of work in the Small Engine Industry and adjusting thousands of those engines lead me to think that this particular DA was running ok. The problem is and odd one and I talked to Dave (DA) in toledo about it. He was as perplexed as I was and really didn't have a answer. That's understandable because he hadn't seen the engine. I can tell you that Rings that are not seated can cause fuel draw problems, particullary if the cylinder is on the + size and the rings on the - size. I haven't had the engine apart or off the plane. Both may be needed to find the answer to the question. I have no beef with any Engine Mfg. I would just like to discover the answer to this problem.. Regards BobH.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:59 PM
newshoundaussie

Flew the DA 50 for the first time this year. The engine quit on both landings. The landings were very smooth. Have been able to get rid of the problem with it quiting while taxing with carb adjustments. This engine runs perfect in the air couldn't be happier. But waiting for the low idle stopping to catch up to me in the air. Also getting tired of having to retieve it off the field. Sometimes you can catch it before it stops with abit of throttle on touchdown.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Jemo

I flew mine again today. Tried lifting the tail, stopping abruptly, etc. It just kept running.

On the first start, it did quit when I lowered the idle, but it wasn't really warm yet, but no problem on the rest of the starts for the day. .
I have been running the idle a little bit on the high side, (not much), I always do this on a new engine,( Paranoid I guess.)
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I have been watching this entire thread unfold from the sublime to the rediculous. I have a DA50 that has just finished it's break-in. Have maybe 4 or 5 gallon of fuel through it. I have been transitioning it from break-in to broken-in for about a gallon.

The engine is running like a top. I did have problems simular to those mentioned in this thread. Whether it is rings, porting, tight parts or whatever I don't know. What I do know is this engine puts out incredible power for its size.

I also know that during breakin you NEED to keep the idle high, at a point that will not allow the plane to stand still if you let go of it. If you do this it will not quit on you. If you try keeping the idle to low during breakin it will quit on you all day long. Sure it's a pain for about 3 gallons, but after that everything is fine. If it really bothers you on landing and you have a computer radio you can program idle-down so that once your landing is made you can flip to a lower idle.

My engine has now worked through this tendency and runs fine. If you are thinking about one of these please don't let some of the overreactions here sway you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.