Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Taurus 52 experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Taurus 52 experiences

i hate to see such a quality engine stop from being made. first Scott from Brillelli,now Bill from Taurus,who's going to be next.i always thought that if you make a better product you will always be able to survive.can the 600.00+ engines compete with the 400.00 imports?
and how long will the imports run with out issue's.i have seen two very popular China 50's at the field that both smoke out the exhaust and one is at 50-1 and the other is at 100-1 ratio oil mix.and the same manufacture makes a new 100 twin that a flying buddy just bought that threw a rod on the very first flight.
also i can't rule myself out of this i had issue's on a china made engine,but the manufacture stood behind his work and made it even better than it was originally.
i guess only time will tell how the import's will fare.but i do think they are hear to stay.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order of loss it was Brison, then Brillelli. Taurus is still with us for a short while yet, but you're pretty close to the mark with your post.

The budget imports are indeed here to stay, with customer support and repairs to be the deciding factor in customer sarisfaction. As long as the customer is willing to sacrifice flight time for repair time.....
Old 10-05-2008, 12:00 PM
nitro wing

Its quite obvoius what brands people are interested in.Just scroll thru the engine forums,and look at the views and replies.
There are some newer threads,that have 3X the activity than this thread.I still wonder why so many will buy a high performance airframe and good electronics,but then want to save on an inferiour powerplant.I know that many of the China motors appear to have very good performance at first,but smoothness and longevity is probably something they will all lack over the next few seasons.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Tired Old Man

Only time will tell. Until then the cheapest will be the most desirable for those on a tight budget while the manufacturers of high quality products tighten their belts, lay off employees, and eat beans for awhile.

Another downside is that those manufacturers that have continually been sponsoring contests and events will eventually be forced to discontinue those perks. You don't see the budget manufacturers providing products at those events.

This is going the wrong direction for his thread so I'm going to refrain from any more posts on this lamentable subject.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
nitro wing

Yeah,probably,some may get offended and the thread may get ugly.
Would be nice if Bill chimed in here when its time.I am sure many have questions over availablity and service.

One thing I was going to ask is that I have been using regular 87 octane since new.Should I use premium fuel?
Bill supplied the Stihl oil,and I can get it and using it here locally.Been running it 50:1 from day one.Bill said I can use that ratio permanently.Any other thoughts,recomendations?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I WAS using 91 octane in my Taurus because my Chinese engine opted for it. When I stopped using the Chinese jobby I went to 87 octane and noticed 0 difference, actually if anything it seems to run better on the lower octane - but I can't really tell.

I wanted to use Pennzoil Air cooled oil for break in but had to buy 12 pints of the stuff. I'm still using it at 50:1 10 or so gallons later and plan on doing so until it's all gone.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Tired Old Man

The 87 is fine. Depending on how you work the engine the Stihl that Bill provided would be ok. If you run them hard with a lot of hovering and torque rolling with minimal cooling you want to switch over to Stihl Ultra. It's a better product and does not stick rings as easily as the other. Not that either are noted for sticking rings, but the Ultra is definately the better oil. Don't ask, I can't tell you....

50-1 with either one is just fine.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
nitro wing

Ok good
Probably says in my papers somewhere,but was gonna ask or some tips for winter storage.I doubt I will fly the Taurus over Winter.Should I just empty the tank,and let it sit? and or spray some oil into the plughole? wrap carb with plastic to keep from drying out? Plane is kept inside house.
Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I'll give up my 2 Taurus's when they pry them from my cold dead hands! The TS 52 I have just gets better N better every time I take it out. This is the smoothest running enging out there, bar none.
happy customer,
zx32tt
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

well again i'v got pipe in here. if we have lost bill and his FAR superior eng. line, it' our own damn fault. we whated cheap and boy have got it, got it good!!! broken cranks, bent cranks, cracked cases, won't run or run rite!!! and when we them fixed ....... nobody home. can't be bothered, won't or can't help, we're left high and dry. some guys just though them in the trash!!!!!!!!!! now tell me please whre is the saving here???????? let's try and talk bill in coming back and saving our sorry a****s. OK OK OK? as for me if don't happen i just might go back to baby bee .049s
Old 12-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Tired Old Man

Lost one of the best repair people in the process as well when RC Ignition shut down. There's been a relationship between the better engine manufacturers and repair stations that has been there for a long time that is now showing cracks in the circle created by imports. How this works out in the long run will be interesting to all.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 AM
fujiman

thanks for those thots tired old man. i agree 1000% let's see now there's (hmm.) still electrics left and comin' on strong. but they smell funny! ! ! i do feel when the dust settles and all the cheapos are riding off into the sunset with our money, that maybe some of the good guys will once again step up and fill the need in engs. that we have. back in the early 70's when biggies where becoming the "rage" and we only had chain saw engs, weedy engines and the like, we could could hardly get them to run and when they did they shook our planes to pieces, a real learn curve we faced back then and even up til now. guys like bill bennitt with quadra/arrow helped develope and improve the quadra and all it teething problems. back then i bought a roper eng 2.2 my goodness i made a mount for it and started it in my auto repair shop, bolted to a work bench and cranked it up. it vibrated every thing off the bench, tools everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! the front brg was so loose i could not even see the prop, it just disappeared!!!! well i converted it to glow, had a good friend machine a front brg case for it with 3 brgs in frt and of course the rear brg. made an intake manifold for it and mounted 2 perry large style carbs. with progressive linkage for them. looked cool kind of like a single cyl. offy eng. modified spark plug and tapped it for a glow plug. got her all put together cranked it up and boy did it run good!!! back then that kind of what we had to do. we are now starting to lose that kind of developement with some really talented people leaving r and d to the imports. our lose.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:23 AM
fujiman

i agree tired old man! i remember back in early 70's and the biggies where just starting to catch on. i attended the first quarter scale meet in las vegus. at that time we had to fend for ourselves as to the engs. we used. old loosy goosy chain saw and weedy engs. bill bennett of quadra/arrow (now) started to improve the quada 35 for us tightened up the front "roller" crank brg and made the quadra pretty much the main stay eng then. then came the 40, 50, 52, well you get the picture. a few guys back the took the time and care to make a good and improving product. and it's been pretty much that way up til resently. we are losing some really good r&d men, guys!!!! if we don't support them they are going to just go away!!!!!!!! and we are going to be left in a real lurch. back in the 70's i bought a roper eng and converted it for r/c use, because back then we didn"t have much to chose from. well, i stiped it down, mounted a prop., made a mount for it so i could mount it to my transmission bench, fired it up, holy cow, it vib'd so bad it shook EVERYTHING of the bench., couldn't even see the prop.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! discusted i converted it to glow, mod the spark plug to accept a glow plug, had a good friend machine a frt crank support w/3 alternator brgs (frt one sealed) fab up an alum. intake manifold for it, mounted 2 perry .60 sized carbs on it with progressive linkage, put all together fired it up and man did she ever run great. cool looking, kind of like a single cyl. offy eng. that" what we had to do then. the quadra was a real saver. i'm afraid we are letting some really good talented people slip though the cracks cause we what cheap. well most times cheap don't pay!!!!!! ya get what ya pay for. i'm not rich, i'm om social sec. i save up to buy the best i can. i know i will most always be satisfied with the quality and service w/ those products. buy cheap import stuff and you'll get burnt as some of you guys are starting find out. when they break don't cry about it to us or others because ya done it to yourselves. nough said here.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 AM
fujiman

sorry guys, i'm new to posting in these forums. some how i managed to post the last posts twice!!!! old age i guess. or maybe it"s my smarter than me computer. these things think differently than we do!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our engine technology has matured to the point where new developements are too expensive for toy airplane use. DA came along with an improved product at the right time and will survive the longest. Eventually they too will loose out to DL or a better looking/lower priced clone. So far we have only lost brands with products based on chainsaw conversions that have gone unimproved for 20 years. My crystal ball says that in 20 years there will be no technology beyond current DA/ZDZ models with electrics being dominate in competition.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Tired Old Man

You must be referring to current technology as you now understand it. Current technology engines are already obsolete by uav standards, and have been for some time. There's better designs by far sitting on the horizon and those manufacturers that have up to now produced the higher end products should still be there later. Perhaps not for the hobby market because we don't seem to understand the value of quality, but they'll still be there.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM
fujiman

thanks for imput tired old man, good observations, and insight. i my self am not into all tech. that now exists those of you that are have good insight as to the future of our hobby. i personally continue to ejoy flying. the thoughts i posted are only my views based on what i have read., etc. we just need to be as careful as we can and learn from each other as to the products we buy. may we all keep enjoying our hobby/ sport
Old 12-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

You must be referring to current technology as you now understand it. Current technology engines are already obsolete by uav standards, and have been for some time. There's better designs by far sitting on the horizon and those manufacturers that have up to now produced the higher end products should still be there later. Perhaps not for the hobby market because we don't seem to understand the value of quality, but they'll still be there.
I was refering to current technology as it exists for toy airplanes today. I say this because the hobby industry has not been able to go beyond the Walbro for fuel delivery. It will take an expensive push by Western MFGs to get new products on line. Im betting that they won't be willing to make that investment knowing that there will be an Eastern copy in production within a year of release.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:21 AM
fujiman

ain't it a shame!!!!![&o]
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
T-one

HEY we ain't dead. Still fixing them when they come in broke, only had three warranty returns in 14 years. Not too bad we think.
You guys out there will never know what your comments mean to us, the loyalty toward the engine. We pride ourselves in trying to make the best. Taurus was an idea two guys had for themselves. Not orignally to go public, just for our own use. But guys like you wanted one so thats how Taurus started. Its been a great ride and we're still here. One day we might come to the end of the line. But it won't be offshore for us.
Thanks for your support,accolades,praise, and recommending Taurus. Its because of fellows like you that keep us doing what we do.
As usual if there any complaints,questions,suggestions that you might have its always better to get the answers from the "horse'(or bulls)mouth than the other end, "
CONTACT US NOT THE FIELD EXPERT> THEY DIDN"T MAKE THE TAURUS>
Have a happy, healthy New Year. C.A.V.U and light winds.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to post the question asking Taurus (Bill) if he planned on getting into the 100/150cc market and decided to check the Taurus web site before asking. Well it seems they're already past the drawing board stage and are well on the way to becoming a reality. They look awesome and I look forward to info as it becomes available. I'll be watching for sure![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
nitro wing

I lost my plane and engine last march 2009. Full radio lockout and everything was busted..

I purchased another Taurus 52 and another EF Extra 300. I have been flying this motor all summer (2010) with zero issues, and it is now mounted in the new Extra. Motor was run for 1/2 tank and then flown without much adjustments, and has never coughed or quit.
Its a good combo and the Taurus is just waking up and has lots of authority in the big Extra. Will be changing to some other props to see What I like best. Bill recomended a Xoar or NX 23x8

Engine #1 will be sent to Bill for rebuild or I may just buy another new one from him.
I'll try to get some vid up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45287.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1502043  
Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 AM
fujiman

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

I lost my plane and engine last march 2009. Full radio lockout and everything was busted..

I purchased another Taurus 52 and another EF Extra 300. I have been flying this motor all summer (2010) with zero issues, and it is now mounted in the new Extra. Motor was run for 1/2 tank and then flown without much adjustments, and has never coughed or quit.
Its a good combo and the Taurus is just waking up and has lots of authority in the big Extra. Will be changing to some other props to see What I like best. Bill recomended a Xoar or NX 23x8

Engine #1 will be sent to Bill for rebuild or I may just buy another new one from him.
I'll try to get some vid up.

that's right nitro wing!!!!!!!!!!!! you pay for what you get and i agree the taurus eng. line is the best!!!!!!!!!! some how we have got to keep bill in business!!!!!!!!!! not that he is shutting down but the chinese is hurting him as well as a lot of us businesses in and out of the hobby!!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

to this date the Taurus 52 is still the smoothest most reliable engine i have.anyone ever try a pipe setup on the 52?the midrange is so good on this engine. i never tried it because i thought i would not be able to get as good or better midrange response.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM
fujiman

what walbro carb are you running???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.