Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New SV Gassers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New SV Gassers

It's the XYZ 26cc single that he just got, looks real nice... Don't think it will run any better than my SV does, that would be hard to do, but maybe it will have a little more power, who knows. My Stearman is powered slightly over scale now I think, so I don't need any more.
Im leavin all the hot rod stuff up to you guys. I must be gettin old or something...
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
flyingwarbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, just got the xyz 26 in the mail. It took 4 day to get it. I'm new to gassers. This is my first. I'm anxious to run it and fly it or the plane. lol. I'm gonna try it in the CMP 91" cub. It should be completed in a couple of weeks. I want my first experience with a gasser to be a good one so the cub is perfect. I still want one in a warbird!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM
rfmullig

I just bought the SPE 26cc for my CG sukhoi and tonight I just ordered the
XYZ 50cc spec A. I am also new to gassers so this should be a learning opportunity. I will be asking everyone a lot of questions.

I am going to put the xy50cc on a 80" 27% Cap232. I am hoping to have unlimited vertical.
I will have pics and video.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 PM
freeonthree

Howdy neighbor ! lol Where were you tonight. We had quite a turnout.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
freeonthree

Have you run the SPE26 yet ? on a test bench or anything ? Im gettin excited already !
Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 PM
rfmullig

No, I have not had the chance to bench test it yet. I am also very excited. I have heard a lot of good things about this engine.
However to fit it undeer the cowl of the Sukhoi, I am going to have to do some substantial cutting. My hope is that the AUW of the Suk will be under 11lbs. This should allow for some very agressive sport aerobatics. But not 3D.
With the 50cc on the CAP, I am hoping for rocket like performance.
Rob
Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 PM
freeonthree

I must be weird or something... I love lumbering around biplanes with slow flight, I think im all horsepowered out. 54 goin on 91.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 AM
rfmullig

One of the great things about this hobby is that we can fly in so many differen t ways and have fun.
But I want an ass kicking plane with lots of power for aerobatics. According to my wife , I am 43 goin on 14.

Rob
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 PM
rfmullig

flyingwarbird:
Great to hear about your XY26cc:
Lets provide some video documentation of your new acquisition and my new xyz 50cc for the gang here at RCU.
It will also be interesting to compare your xy26 with my SPE 26cc.
I plan to use xoar props. how about you?
If we could compare with the same prop that would be useful. Let me know what you are planning to use.
Rob
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
flyingwarbird

Not sure what props I will use yet. I will probably pick up an assortment of different props. I'm trying to finish my Yak 50 size. Video and documentation on our spe 26 and xyz 26 would be great! Along with props and rpm and any issues we run up against, hopefully none.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
flyingwarbird

rfmullig, now you have me thinking of props. I will get 16-8 up to 18-8. Since this is my first gasser, I'm not sure what brand. Any suggestions? Anyone. And yes it would be a good idea to the same props. Where do you get the xoar props from?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 AM
freeonthree

Eric, Look at Hobby City, They have JFX, and mentioned XOAR somehow, check it out.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 AM
freeonthree

Forget that, I was mistaken. I saw the XOAR's somewhere. Greg has a Zinger on his Pitts, they look pretty good.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 AM
mitchmcf

I would go with JXF and stay away from Zinger you can get them from [link=http://bcmaengines.com/Accessories.htm]BCMA[/link] at a good price
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
rfmullig

I read recently that JXF and Xoar are the same prop different brand name. Same factory etc...
If anyone knows this to be true or un true speak up. I am planning to use the Xoar 17-8 on the 26cc and a 22-8 on the 50cc
Rob
Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
freeonthree

I looked at the JFX props on HC last night, but they looked like nylon, so I figured I was confused. I thought they were wood before. My friend Greg has had a Zinger prop on his 50cc Brison powered Pitts for 4 or 5 years, so you can't tell me that Zingers are not wonderful props. Personally, I have had wonderful luck with Master Airscrew props, but I don't break out the fish scale and check thrust or anything, just a tach to make sure im in the power band. I have Master Airscrews on all 4 of my planes, and im quite pleased with them. Im only concerned with proper pitch, appearance, and durability. Im hopeing that the Cherry prop I have coming from HC will be precision balanced as they say. It should look cool on the Stearman. Actually, I perfer a heavy prop for the flywheel effect. There just ain't nuttin sweeter than a 1000 rpm idle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XogGXJsratw
Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
rfmullig

I have used Zingers, Xoar, APC, and Master Airscrew and personally my preference is the xoar. The Zingers have never been anywhere close to being balanced. The Airscrews have been balanced but very flexible thus bleeding energy. I like the APC props but they are heavier thus they spin up slower. The Xoar spins up fast and is very efficient. Many of my friends have had great luck with the Zingers and love them. It all come down to personal preference. I hate sanding blades, so I want my prop to come pre-balanced. I am also considering using a Vess prop. I have not tried these but a friend has one on his Somenzini Yak and like it more than his carbon fibre props.
Rob
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
rfmullig

"My friend Greg has had a Zinger prop on his 50cc Brison powered Pitts for 4 or 5 years, so you can't tell me that Zingers are not wonderful props"

This statement really does not indicate that Zingers are "wonderful" props.
I drove a Ford Pinto over 100,000 miles. Still it was an absolute turd of a car. 8)

For me, if it is a question of Spending $18 dollars on a Zinger or $24 on the Xoar, I'll spend the extra bread just to get that extra bit of performance.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
freeonthree

I found where I saw the JXF props, it was BCMA.
http://bcmaengines.com/Accessories.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM
mitchmcf

I have used Zingers and JXF and there is a noticable improvment in the air with the JXF props.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
freeonthree

Well, I may just have to try one then. Im using a Master Airscrew Classic 18x8, so what would be the equivelent in JXF. I don't want to change the loading too much. Im at 7100 static now, so gettin it down to maybe 6800 would be nice. I sure don't want any less loading. I had a 16x8, and it would barely pull the 15 lb plane.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
mitchmcf

The JXF will put a little more load on it with the same size prop. On my 45cc I had a MA wood 20x8 turnning 7100 put a JXF on it it went to 6700 put had 3lb more thrust you could se the MA flex around 1 in at the tip the JXF has very little flex.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Dennis, I have found out that a Xoar 18x8 will out pull a MAS 18x8 on the same engine. If you are using a MAS 18x8 now try the same size on a Xoar, JXF, Menz, or any other well known quality prop and you will see. I am still waiting for DA to ship me my Menz 17x10 props.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
freeonthree

OK, 18x8 it will be then. I'll wait till my Cherrywood prop gets here and see if it makes me happy first though. If it looks awesome, and pulls the plane ok, i'll be happy for a while. My money is kinda funny right now, got my hobby bill down to $1500.00 though, not bad... lol
I'll order the JXF next month and give you all a report on the performance difference I notice.
It seems to me that thurst is thrust, and weight is weight, so right off im sure that I will lose my 1000rpm idle, but aside from that, are you telling me that the JXF prop has a superior design in the shape ? I just dont understand how 14 lbs of thrust can be better than 14 lbs of thrust. There both going to do the same work, but of course the wood prop is lighter and will spin up faster. I perfer a heavy prop for the slower idle.
I guess what I mean to say is that in my mind, if you take 2 random props, and they both have the same static rpm and thrust.... wait ! Are you saying that if say my prop has a static rpm of say 7100 rpm, that if I use a JFX prop that results in the same static rpm, that the JXF will produce more thrust ? That kinda boggles my mind right now.... Must have something to do with a better anglular design if it does I suppose. Gawd I love gettin scientific !
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
rfmullig

I understand your frustration. If you do the math according to blade length and pitch, of course the numbers come out the same. However, there is another issue that one needs to consider. The MAS props are very flexible and as they load, they bend thus bleeding energy from the tips. If you measure the static thrust, with a digital scale, of the MAS compared to a high performance prop that is more rigid, you will see a remarkable difference. For example:
the carbon fibre props are very stiff, but very light and spin up very fast. This makes them very efficient props.
Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.