Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DL-50 engine

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

mstam1971
I too bought from DLUSA maybe one of the last 50's in stock, and its still under warranty, but if I have any problems I guess i'm just SOL as far as a warranty goes. Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy don't it.
At the time Valley View didn't have any 50's in stock where DLUSA did and I thought Bob was in it for the long haul. Oh well I usually always do my own work on all my engines anyway, but it would have been nice to have the cushion there just in case of a major prob.

I thought you wanted to upgrade from stock parts, but glad that Jody has you fixed up. TMB said they had a complete line of DL parts in one of there posts here, and you say they don't Hummmmmmmmm maybe they have got the cart in front of the horse???

Joe I don't have enough time on my engine yet to see any oil leakage from anywhere, but now you have me wondering if this is a problem that all of them have sooner or later? I see that Jody seals up the crankcase halfs when reassembling, I presume the factory doesn't do this.

No I was not kidding, since I have not had the need to tear down my engine yet, I didn't know what was there, if anything. Sounds to me like some poor or uneven surface finishes if they would leak that bad with nothing.
So at the best they do use a sealant of some kind, but from the sounds of it either not enough or something that won't hold up.
I'm sorry you view reiteration of fact as an exhibition of arrogance, I was merely trying to correct the record. These are the statements I was referring to which contradict what you just posted and I apologize if I missed a question somewhere but I cannot find one.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM
mstam1971
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 72

I managed to strip one of the muffler bolt holes out in mine. It is m5x.8 I bought a complete heli-coil kit on ebay for $5.00 and fixed it in 10 minutes. Try ebay, lots of different size kits there.
Thanks will try that. I don't mind to spend some $$ on tools. I got about all the tools required to rebuild engines and a helicoil kit is a nice addition.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:50 PM
McChiken

A simple thing to do to help prolong the longevity of your spark plug threads is to use a little Anti-Seize . I used it for years on all my dirtbikes so I figure why stop there . I have never striped a thread in that area . Note: I'm knocking on wood right now .

One trick is never use anything but fingers to get plug snug , then use a wrench . Another cool trick is to get some very flexible thin tubing to go over the ceramic portion of the plug if an extension is needed .This will allow the feel as if your fingers were on it . Fuel line works good on glow plugs for an extension too , especialy on saitos .
Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 PM
unit53

im not the moderator,but as ive discussed in a pm ,that us modellers can,be a little high strung and get a little testy at times,and when one types a statement ,it could be misunderstood,or taken out of context or something read into it,just by the way its typed ,in defense of cyberwolf,,which i dont know from adam,,,i dont think he was making a blanket indightment of the dl line or its reps,and i believe jodi ,misunderstood ,his statement,i personally have read certain statements ,in theese and other posts ,that made me bite my toungue,because there is a certain decorum expected here ,i declined to post,so  as a follower of this thread ,i hope we all dont over react and ego,s stop the flow of good info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps my dl 50 runs like a clock ,and maybe dl,s pricing will give the competition something to think about.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
unit53

ORIGINAL: unit53

im not the moderator,but as ive discussed in a pm ,that us modellers can,be a little high strung andget a little testy at times,and when one typesa statement ,it could be misunderstood,or taken out of context or something read into it,just by the way its typed ,in defense of cyberwolf,,which i dont know from adam,,,i dont think he was making a blanket indightment of the dl line or its reps,and i believe jodi ,misunderstood ,his statement,i personally have read certain statements ,in theese and other posts ,that made me bite my toungue,because there is a certain decorum expected here ,i declined to post,so as a follower of this thread ,i hope we all dont over react and ego,s stop the flow of good info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps my dl 50 runs like a clock ,and maybe dl,s pricing will give the competition something to think about.
ps i hope no one want to bite my head off,,for what i said,,,,,i dont taste good.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 AM
hillbillyexpress

I have a question, i am building a cap 232 27% and putting the dle55 in her, this is my first gasser and what an experience it has been already lol, i am by far not a master builder however i enjoy the heck out of learning. I installed the engine with some da-50 3" standoffs and 1/4 ply added to the firewall so i could get the proper distance from the firewall. i disconnected the throttle spring to get rid of the tenision on my servo, as i am sure you gentlemen are aware, the choke is behind the throttle (closest to the firewall) and is in the exact line as the throttle arm. how can i hook up the choke ? i dont really want to use a servo, i have enough weight up there already. i cant go through the front because the throttle is in the way, i am sorry if i sound ignorant to building, but i am teaching myself as i go along.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: hillbillyexpress

I have a question, i am building a cap 232 27% and putting the dle55 in her, this is my first gasser and what an experience it has been already lol, i am by far not a master builder however i enjoy the heck out of learning. I installed the engine with some da-50 3'' standoffs and 1/4 ply added to the firewall so i could get the proper distance from the firewall. i disconnected the throttle spring to get rid of the tenision on my servo, as i am sure you gentlemen are aware, the choke is behind the throttle (closest to the firewall) and is in the exact line as the throttle arm. how can i hook up the choke ? i dont really want to use a servo, i have enough weight up there already. i cant go through the front because the throttle is in the way, i am sorry if i sound ignorant to building, but i am teaching myself as i go along.
Does this help?

My carb's are rotated. It works either way...the choke is on the bottom if the carb is in the stock position (throttle and choke on the left side).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99538.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1290664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26933.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1290665  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Eagleburger

My DL50 bleeds oil like its no ones business, but goes well.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM
dlenginesaustralia

I have a question, i am building a cap 232 27% and putting the dle55 in her, this is my first gasser and what an experience it has been already lol, i am by far not a master builder however i enjoy the heck out of learning. I installed the engine with some da-50 3'' standoffs and 1/4 ply added to the firewall so i could get the proper distance from the firewall. i disconnected the throttle spring to get rid of the tenision on my servo, as i am sure you gentlemen are aware, the choke is behind the throttle (closest to the firewall) and is in the exact line as the throttle arm. how can i hook up the choke ? i dont really want to use a servo, i have enough weight up there already. i cant go through the front because the throttle is in the way, i am sorry if i sound ignorant to building, but i am teaching myself as i go along.
Some more pics to help

You can flip the throttle arm 180 and screw on the supplied composite arm, or replace with something like a hitec 1" servo arm and a 4-40 bolt, this put them on different levels, and all works neat

Cheers

Scott.

Name:	Ol31456.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	1290672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14807.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	1290673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88107.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	1290674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50173.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1290675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35968.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1290676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98315.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1290677  
Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: edward cobb

ORIGINAL: macflyklaus

What experiences have you because with Bob Kramer (dlusa). I got him several mails sent, but get no answer.

Klaus
If you are still having trouble, I bought my eng from www.valleyviewrc.com he also carries parts for the DL 50.
After some problems with a brand new dle 30 I bought came up, I was told to contact Jody at Valley View Rc and I was suprised at just how good thier service really is. Its been rough the past week, with several bad things happening, But at least when I called Jody the problems with my new dle 30 were worked out in minutes. I can not say enough good things about Jody and Tom. Their service is better than most sellers I have ever dealt with.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
hillbillyexpress

Thank you for the great pics, the problem is that i already have installed the push rod for the throttle and epoxyed the pushrod tube, so i dont think ill be able to flip the throttle are on the carb, is there a way to flip the arn on the choke ?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Thank you for the great pics, the problem is that i already have installed the push rod for the throttle and epoxyed the pushrod tube, so i dont think ill be able to flip the throttle are on the carb, is there a way to flip the arn on the choke ?
The only way is to grind off the braded end and remove the arm and install an arm like what you would use on the front of a nose gear plane.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD847&P=0

Name:	Yw68834.jpg
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1290690  
Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: paul5992

Cyberwolf, You build engines for a living? That's hard to believe, if you don't realise that two, even well machined surfaces, need some kind of sealant to make an air tight seal. I'm not sticking up for Jody I just find it hard to believe that you have that much experience with a question like that.
Ok for one I do build engines for a living like I said I own and operate a automotive machine shop, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else for that matter, I just asked a simple question.
As for two well machined surfaces needing something to help seal them up, yes they are called gaskets ever heard of them?
Or a compatable sealant of some sort.
Most the newer cars and light truck's have gone as far as useing no gaskets on such things as water pumps, oilpans, timing covers and so on with only a light coat of silicon to bind the two together form the factory, due to the fine finishes they put on mating parts. Ford had a major problem with this, the oil was attacking the silicon used and plugging up the oil pump screen and taking the bearings out their engines. This of couse happen's as a rule after the engine was out of warranty.
The use of Alum heads on Cast Iron blocks has presented a major problem that has been sort of fixed now, useing only a graphite head gasket with silicon inlays was blowing out after a short period of time so metal shims was added to allow the head to grow and shrink due to the coefficient of dissimilar metals used, Allows the head now to actually move on the block without blowing the gasket.
What I was asking was this and I will spell it out so even the simplest of minds can understand , does the factory add a sealant to the gasket to seal the two haves together of the DL-50 engine, if so there is an issue with the machine work done, weather it be a tolorance build up uneven surfaces or just to rough a finish or maybe even a torque issue I don't know but I do know this if its leaking there is something wrong someplace.
I to like my DL-50 engine so far it has been a great little engine But if there is a potential problem I would like to curb it in the mists before it can lead to other more serious things, such as a air leak causing a lean run. If oil can leak out air can leak in no getting around it.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM
joe0298
My Feedback: (16)

Cyberwolf, You build engines for a living? That's hard to believe, if you don't realise that two, even well machined surfaces, need some kind of sealant to make an air tight seal. I'm not sticking up for Jody I just find it hard to believe that you have that much experience with a question like that.
Ok for one I do build engines for a living like I said I own and operate a automotive machine shop, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else for that matter, I just asked a simple question.
As for two well machined surfaces needing something to help seal them up, yes they are called gaskets ever heard of them?
Most the newer cars and light truck's have gone as far as useing no gaskets on such things as water pumps, oilpans, timing covers and so on with only a light coat of silicon to bind the two together form the factory, due to the fine finishes they put on mating parts. Ford had a major problem with this, the oil was attacking the silicon used and plugging up the oil pump screen and taking the bearings out their engines. This of couse happen's as a rule after the engine was out of warranty.
The use of Alum heads on Cast Iron blocks has presented a major problem that has been sort of fixed now, useing only a graphite head gasket with silicon inlays was blowing out after a short period of time so metal shims was added to allow the head to grow and shrink due to the coefficient of dissimilar metals used, Allows the head now to actually move on the block without blowing the gasket.
What I was asking was this and I will spell it out so even the simplest of minds can understand , does the factory add a sealant to the gasket to seal the two haves together of the DL-50 engine, if so there is an issue with the machine work done, weather it be a tolorance build up uneven surfaces or just to rough a finish or maybe even a torque issue I don't know but I do know this if its leaking there is something wrong someplace.
I to like my DL-50 engine so far it has been a great little engine But if there is a potential problem I would like to curb it in the mists before it can lead to other more serious things, such as a air leak causing a lean run. If oil can leak out air can leak in no getting around it.
I am not too sure how much people will want to help you or talk to youtaking this attitude or even deal with you at all for that matter. Something just aint right here.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
joe0298
My Feedback: (16)

[][][]
Old 10-08-2009, 02:31 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Moki did not use gaskets, sealant or leak.

My early DL50 serial # 173 or 178 can't remember, does not leak. It did come thru with a plugged high speed carb orifice, off center machined prop bolt and prop driver with .0075 run out. Replaced the defective parts and it runs strong.

How they machined the bolt off center is a mystery to me. The prop driver was a very loose fit on the shaft and filled with bearing locktite or ca.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM
mstam1971
My Feedback: (2)

Mine was put together with some sealant but simply not enough I found out when I took it apart. I now put some Permatex heat-resistant thread locker between the halves. Hope it'll hold, I think so.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM
paul5992

Cyberwolf, You have to explain yourself for the simplest minds on a forum. Because we can't ask you questions or make comments without offending you. A clear question without belittling the DL quality is a must. If you want to bash DL, this isn't the place to do it. We all take offence to that because we all love our DL's.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 PM
paul5992

Moki's are glow engines. Glow fuel and Gasoline are two very different fuels. Glow fuel is 18 to 20% oil. That's about 5 to 1 mix. Our Gasser's are running 32 to 1 mix. That's 3.125% oil. The more viscous the fluid/fuel the less chance there will be for a leak.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

There is no gasket, like on dirt bike engines they use a sealant between the two halfs. I have split many cases on dirt bike engines and used a yamha sealant product or permatex.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I love Yamabond 6B. The best gasket sealer I have every used. Made for gas engines.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
dlenginesaustralia

While we havent had too many with leaking case halves, we have seen the odd one and a suitable gas resistant sealant will do the trick. The machined surfaces are normally pretty good with a fine finish, I suspect though the surface might get dinged up a little sometimes during assembly and/or a bit short on the sealant and then you have a leak.

Just for info heres some pics of the DL50 vs the DLE55 crank case. The 55 now has a lip and a recess to improve the seal/increase the surface area of the two mating surfaces. The 50 didnt have this....must have been enough of a problem for DL to want to make a change. Good to see they are always making improvements

See pics.

Cheers

Scott

Name:	Ig11636.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1290959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17192.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1290960  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the better engine manufacturers use some type of sealant at the case halves. Once they heat up gas under pressure has been known to leak with any of them, especially where cases were altered to make them thinner, aka lighter. So hopefully DL does use a sealer. It doesn't take much, but that tiny bit can be the difference between a good engine and a bad one.

None of the model airplane engine manufacturers are makiing ultra high tolerane products, nor are they selling a new engine for $4,000.oo to $7,000.00 like the auto manufacturers so a little sealant should not be an issue.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

I have unfortunately stripped the spart plug threads on my DL-50 and and looking for the best fix solution. Does anyone know where I can get a helicoil for it if there is a better alternative to fix my nuckel head mistake? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mmontella

I have unfortunately stripped the spart plug threads on my DL-50 and and looking for the best fix solution. Does anyone know where I can get a helicoil for it if there is a better alternative to fix my nuckel head mistake? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
sorry to hear that..call Jody at Vally View RC he can help you with that info and parts need it. 253-569-4458

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.