Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Area 51 engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Area 51 engines

That is one of the most comments I get on the engine, Other than the power is the mid range, Chris from Extreme Flight took one back to China with him to test fly his 88" proto Edge, Called my Friday evening with the same comment about the mid range. Now when Chris makes that kind of comment that made my head swell up. LOL

Milton
Old 09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
RC Extreme power

Had a couple great guy's here on RCU to send me a PDF template for the 51cc engine.

You can print it from here
http://www.eflighthobby.com/Mountingtemplate.html

Will be putting one in with engines now when shipped.

Thanks a million

Milton
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

YAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Today was like Engine Christmas at my house.
BOTH the 51 cc and the (surprise) 102cc arrived.
Now, it is off to the shop to document my installs, and start writing.

For non Area-51 owners - the machine work, fit, and finish of these engines is way beyond expectations. Two-ring pistons, LOTS of compression, but silk-smooth bearings and cranks....these are going to be JOY to operate.

Can't WAIT to get them installed and going.

(I will start a separate thread on the 102 just so it's "there")
Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered my 2nd one. This will go in my PAU 30% Edge. It's had a DA50 and a ZDZ 50NG so I'll have to plug those holes before I install it. The DA 50 holes are literally RIGHT next to the Area 51 holes.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

For non Area-51 owners - the machine work, fit, and finish of these engines is way beyond expectations. Two-ring pistons, LOTS of compression, but silk-smooth bearings and cranks....these are going to be JOY to operate.
An added bonus is nobody will run around derisively calling it a "clone".
Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
JoeAirPort

I ordered one late last night and woke up this morning with a package tracking link and a tracking number. Time stamped 6:52 am. Pretty quick response I must say.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: BTerry

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

An added bonus is nobody will run around derisively calling it a "clone".
Brett - you ALWAYS have the perfect comeback!
You are, of course, EXACTLY correct.

And I **must** say again these things are absolutely gorgeous pieces of machinery. No kidding.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
JoeAirPort

They are beautiful, and work beautifully. Now that's a good combo. And at least Milton will be there should you have an issue. In the real world there are issues that come up.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
BOMYERS

HI everyone. Sorry it has taken me so long to report back on my engine. My last post was #.79. On 9-1-08 the lower part of Louisiana was hit by Hurricane Gustav and I lost my home. My family and I are staying with family so my life will be upside down for a while. I just got the internet back and it has been a hard month being without RCU, and this Forum . I would like everyone to know that Milton is on his game when it comes to customer service and shipping. On 8-26-08 I ordered my engine and on 8-28-08 it was delivered. And like Bob said the fit and finish is very nice, it even comes in a nice box packed tight. The only thing I have had time to do is drill my props. I have a Vess 23A and 23B. It will be a month or two before I will have time to work on mounting it to the plane . I will mount it on a Stinger Giant 84" for a while and then put on a EF Yak 88". I will brake it in with Lawnboy ashless and then run Amsoil Saber. I will report back when I have time to work on it.

Bo
Old 10-01-2008, 04:39 AM
miniman

OK this is a straight question, I am not trying to start a war, just very curious....

Why do people use a different break in oil to the one they intend to use?

I have been racing using two stroke motors for many years, from club level up to Works team level, and we never used any different oil for the first few minuets of an engines life. In fact if we changed oil at any time, we would totally strip the fuel system and carbs to flush out the old oil before ever adding a new one, especially going from a natural to a sythetic based oil.

I have heard that its to allow the rings and bearings to "bed in", but in reality the revs we run these motors at ring fit is far more important than bedding in.

The wear on the piston in the first few seconds of an engines life is greater than it will for most the remainder. So why is it recomended we sarifice wear on the piston, to get the rings to bed in that bit faster.

Are people in such a rush to get the last 2-300 rpm out of the motor now, rather than give it time to settle in gently?

It may be the metal used in model motors is diferent to the chemisry used in racing, and if so I would be happy to learn.

Peter
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
BTerry

Peter,

There is no good reason to run a "break in oil" in my opinion. I just choose a good oil, use it at the corect mixture, tune the engine properly, and avoid overheating it for the first number of flights.

I think the "Start on Lawnboy, then switch to Amsoil" mindset was started a few years ago by a single manufacturer and people applied it to every other engine on the market. Many other engine dealers just copied and pasted this information into their manuals rather than writing their own manuals. BTW, that manufacturer recommends several different oils, but those are the ones people stuck with for some reason.

Back on topic: I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I have purchased electric motors/ESCs, etc. from Milton for many years (6 years now?) and he always provides good service and a good product at a good price. I am excited to see these engines are high quality. I don't have a need for a 50cc engine (will never relinquish my Taurus) but would probably look at this one if I was in the market.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
miniman

Thank god, I thought I was going mad.

I have seen so many arguments on this site that I started to think I was going crazy and missed something.

Peter
Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM
BTerry

Pete,

I think you should apply your better judgement gained from your years of experience racing and you will be just fine.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Dang, I have been doing it the WrongWay. I always wondered why the air cooled full scale airplane engines use ashless dispersant oil for the first 25 hours before switching to regular. For synthetics I learned (was told) with my motorcycles that it was not desirable to start on syn as the rings might never seat. OF course they are not two stroke with the oil in the fuel like ours but lubrication takes place just the same.

So have I hurt my engine here? Would all of that black stuff still come out if I was using syn to break in on?

BTW Bob, I have since gone for the petticure.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34118.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1044418  
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I just do what the manufacturer says to do. Then if something goes wrong, they can't say it's my fault because I used the wrong oil.

Jim
Old 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM
JoeAirPort

And that's what they do so it's good practice to follow their instructions.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
miniman

I ran mine from the start on Synthetic, still sprayed out black soot. But its running at 35:1 so not supprising.

BT, I have always used Synth oil, well not true, I started building race motors using Castol R @ 16:1 ..I miss that smell!!

Later we switched to Castrol 747 synthetic @ 25:1 and rarly had a sieze, burned loads of holes in pistons though!!

I am not sure the manufacturers of model engines know whats best, but the stories of rings not bedding in on Synthetic is an old wives tale, its good, but its not that good.

There was a product called Slick 50, that was molli based and for a time we mixed that with the oil. That did cause some real problems with the rings as they totaly lost compression so it was dropped.

Joe are you saying that the warrentee would be void if someone used Synthetic throughout?

Peter

Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
RC Extreme power

There are a lot of tales and different opinions about what oil to use when running a new or even an older engine

One thing a lot of people do not think about when comparing RC plane engines with go cart racing and bike engines is the rpm that they run, As most part we run engines from 6200 to 8500 RPM according to there size, and hope to never have to do any rebuilding on them.

Go carts and bike engines run double that RPM and most rebuild them every season.

Now using Synthetic for break in and running all the time should not be a problem but just will take a little longer to get the max performance out of the engine, Now if you use to much you will gum up the engine, 3W used to say they would void warranty if you used to much and have shown pictures of gummed up cylinders that did.

Yes I think we (including me) try to get the max power and RPM as we can out of the RC engines from the start, So we use what will give that to us.

I did a test a while back with a new engine, The first run was with ashless and I ran about a half tank with it and then ran it with Synthetic, After I had ran about 1/2 tank of the Synthetic I lost 250 RPM. Now this was a new engines that had only a total of about 1 tank. I think on break in the ashlees biults around the rings more untill they have seated and in so give a little more power on new engines.

On another note, If you run ashless to long you again with build up a lot of carbon and gum in the engine and cause problems in the future.

I think one gallon no more than two for breakin and then go to Synthetic.

Milton
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Good stuff Milton.

Thanks guys. I do love the Amsoil and have been using it since 1982 or so. Amazing that it can go to 100 to 1. To me that would be on the edge though. I had a brain fart on one batch of fuel and meant to mix it at 80 to 1 but it came out 120 to 1. The Zenoah on a pipe did not like that at all and told me so.

My Area 51 will get the Amsoil treat very soon.

Question for Milton. Any word on the Area 51 logo for cowl decals?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah I need something for my two planes' cowlings.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
RC Extreme power

Ok
We do need something, Later tonight I will post two different ones and would like ideas from others.

Thanks
Milton
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Bob Pastorello

As long as you include some catchy slogan like;
"Out of this World Power" or something equally-gagging.... [8D]
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 PM

You guys need to get Bad Brad on the job. He goes the distance and get's em done. I was recently impressed. No disrespect intended for other graphics cutters. JME.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Dang, I have been doing it the WrongWay. I always wondered why the air cooled full scale airplane engines use ashless dispersant oil for the first 25 hours before switching to regular. For synthetics I learned (was told) with my motorcycles that it was not desirable to start on syn as the rings might never seat. OF course they are not two stroke with the oil in the fuel like ours but lubrication takes place just the same.

So have I hurt my engine here? Would all of that black stuff still come out if I was using syn to break in on?

BTW Bob, I have since gone for the petticure.

Yer killin' us, Rich.... STOP.... borrow some 'feet' from Down ontheDeck....
Anyway I'm gonna do my boring, standard "Air Cooled Pennzoil" break in, then ponder switching to synthetic. Maybe, maybe not. My Pennzoil has been very good for my engines.... but BelRay HR1 gets the nod from some pretty well-qualified persons in the know.

I think it's a LOT more important to properly cool, load, and adjust an engine. Of any brand.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 PM

You are right on all the above Bob. (sorry I can't do anything about the toes[:@]) For most it goes without saying about loads and cooling but is worth saying because not all have been there.

BelRay has been selling a synthetic grease to the folks that operate those steam powered catapults for dozens of years. It too is quality stuff. They love it and can afford (probably) any brand they wish. About the only brand of oil I don't trust does not have a 2 stroke version. I compare the API or similar ratings when choosing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.