Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Bpar4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Thanks for the quick response. I will leave it as is. I have the 26 mounted in a CG Obsession. Will post some pictures after the "re-maiden". I am hoping this plane will come in around 10#. Bob
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Where did you purchase your muffler?
From Jtec,or from Henry?
Lets see a pic.If possible.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
buck1856

Ill send ya PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM
fhm555

Hey Folks...I recently picked up a 64" Yak 54 thinking I'd use a saito 125 I have to power it. After talking to one of the guys I fly with who had the same airframe, he says the 125 might be a bit weak so I've been looking at some gas engines. He flew his with a zenoah 20 and said it did fine, but if he had it to do over again he would use a 26. Anywho...I've been looking at gas engines and I'm pretty much down to either a zenoah or the rcgf, but I have some questions.

First where can I get one? I've been to [link]http://www.zrcgf.com[/link] and have been trying the contact number there for a couple of days, but I can't get an answer. I checked the area code and it appears to be in Canada, is there a US dealer/distributor I can talk to?

Second, has anyone had both the zenoah and rcgf 26? If so, how do they compare in the air?

What about parts availability? Does anyone in North America actually stock rcgf parts? I've been racing r/c cars for over 12 years and fooling with all kinds of engines most of my life and nothing frustrates me quite like waiting for weeks (or months) on a part for an engine in current production. I understand stuff goes out of stock from time to time, but I'm not crazy about ordering from someone if all they are going to do is order from some place else to fill my request.

Last of all, what about warranty on the rcgf? Is there one, and what is it? I really like the idea of being able to deal with a local shop if I have warranty issues which I can do with the zenoah, but I really like the price and all the good things I've read about the rcgf.

Any other opinions, comments, or words of wisdom regards the rcgf would (as usual) be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Hey fhm555

I am the USA distributor... The number you called is mine... below is the toll free number. Our warehouse is located in Niagara Falls New York. We ship everywhere too....

Sorry about you not being able to get hold of us. Being a couple people organization, we are all wearing many hats. If you leave a message we will get back to you.

BJ Engines is the repair center for the Aerovate Engines... Owner, Bill Jensen is among the best engine men in the business. You can call him ANYTIME for an honest appraisal on the engine line up.

Contact # for BJ's Model Engine Repair Center is
203-888-4819

The warranty on the engines is 2 years.

Lastly if you go through this blog (127 pages and counting with over 105,000 hits ) you will read about the Aerovate engines and modelers experiences about them. The one thing that I will tell you is that we distributors do read these blogs and we take ALL suggestions and advice and experiences from the users VERY SERIOUSLY.

As distributors we talk often among ourselves. You will also find that we will "gang up" together to help a modeler with engine issues. That said... you will also find that the Aerovate users will most often get answers out too the guys well before we (distributors) even read about the various questions!!!!!

Henry -
Toll free number - 888-239-8593

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM
buck1856

When you purchased that one you said is better how big is the can in diameter,im curious to know?
And,how much does it weigh?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Tseres

Got the 26 in the Sukhoi. It fired right up. Made two flights. Never had to adjust a mixture screw.
You gona ask, so here it is. APC 16-8, 8,200 RPM. It was the only prop I had on hand and wasn't intending to Fly.The engine ran so good that I took a chance.Glad I did.Don't know what brand the plane is. Around 70" W/S. Don't know the weight.The 16-8 pulled the plane fine and the plane floated like a butterfly on landing. I'have no other info that I can think of or pictures for now.
I can tell you this. I am verry happy!!!![sm=49_49.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=greedy.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=regular_smile.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

The 20 is temporarily without a home. The engine worked great.The plane flew fine. Pilot Error on landing. Got it to slow and tip stalled it.[:@]

Old Tom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29429.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1193724  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

If it's a lot of work to change it - leave it at 34 degrees. They run quite happily anywhere from 25 to 35 degrees - 30 is the aiming point for most users.

If it "bites back" while starting, then it is a good idea to retard it but at 34 degrees, I doubt you wil have any issues at all.
My 26 has "bitten back" since new, and it happens every time I start it. I'm now at the 2 gallon mark. I've never checked the timing on a gas engine before, but had a hunch it might be off. Could you tell me which way to move the sensor a bit to retard the timing a smidgin? The engine is mounted mounted inverted.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
driesbabe

Frank,
To retard the timing, move the pickup in the direction of rotation. Don't move it much, just so it stops biting.

regards
Andreas
Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Nogyro

Andreas,

Thanks, I'll give it a try this afternoon.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,

Nice plane , looks like the 26 fit in there pretty good too. Looks like it might be a Cermark , really not bad priced either.

http://www.cermark.net/Show.php?TID=109&PSN=1811

Andy
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Tom,

Nice plane , looks like the 26 fit in there pretty good too. Looks like it might be a Cermark , really not bad priced either.

http://www.cermark.net/Show.php?TID=109&PSN=1811

Andy
Thanks Andy. It sure does look like it.
It had a Magneto G-26 in there before and the engine fit under the cowell with just a little cutting around the stock muffler for clearance. I did move the firewall back 3/4" to accommodate the rear crab and the stock standoffs. Worked out great.
I need to learn to fly good enough to make this one last a little while longer then the last one. I am getting great rebuilding experience however. He Heeeee! Hope I don't need my experience in the near future. I'll take some pictures of the setup this afternoon and post it later.

Old Tom
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Tseres

Here are the pictures of the great looking engine in it's new home. It is 9.5 lb. on the bathroom scale.It's lighter then my Laser was with the 20.
So what prop are you guys using onthe 26 to doo 3-D with on a plane this size?

Old Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57113.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1193914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88567.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1193915   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28580.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1193916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81653.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1193917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80566.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1193918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86165.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1193919  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
fhm555

Henry...Thanks for the info, I'll give Mr. Jensen a call.

I have been reading this thread, which is why I had my choices down to a zenoah or rcgf.

As for needing a 26...after looking at the price of the 50 twin, the Yak has lost much of it's luster. I was recently offered a very sweet deal on a NIB RC Guys Pitts S1, but passed on it because I didn't think I could afford to power it. The Yak was a gift so I felt obligated to get it going, which led me to taking a closer look at what was available in the way of gas engines, which led me to this thread, which led me to...I think you get the picture. Long story short, I've got a call in to see if the S1 is still available.

Either way, look for me to be in touch pretty soon.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Mr.FiberOptic

take 2 they're small why not 2 planes and 2 engines LOL
Old 05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
AJsToyz

Tom,

Looks good. I was hoping to have the Ultra Stick out but it needs more work. The only thing I hate about used planes is you don't know what they have been through. The one I have has / had the quad flap set up and has way to small control horns on it. The person who owned it never even ca'd the holes and the wood is like mush. I'm going to reinforce it then put horns on that cover a larger area of the ailerons.

Andy
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
OCR99
My Feedback: (3)

I just put my plug in the 26 cap coverd nut went to about to washers does that sound correct and timeing was set all the way counterclockwise looking at prop to motor when i got motor does that sound ok also when battery is turned on should i here anythig?

Thank
Rick
Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Tom,

Looks good. I was hoping to have the Ultra Stick out but it needs more work. The only thing I hate about used planes is you don't know what they have been through. The one I have has / had the quad flap set up and has way to small control horns on it. The person who owned it never even ca'd the holes and the wood is like mush. I'm going to reinforce it then put horns on that cover a larger area of the ailerons.

Andy
You are right about not knowing what you are getting.That was my experience with the Laser.
On this Sukhoi, I happen to know both of the previous owners and the history on the plane.I knew what I was getting.I actually got to fly it last fall before I bought it.
If you buy something used, you are better off buying off of someone you know.

Old Tom
Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Aussiesteve and Piston I must say that this 45cc engine has the best throttle transion I've ever heard. The engine sounds two cycle from idle to any rpm range I want to run at. I do have the Zenoa G-62 Pitts muffler on it so it do'nt bark as loud as it did on the test stand with the stock muffler. I really miss that. I will keep everyone informed as the engine breaks in. Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
AJsToyz

Yep your right ! Its just a little disappointing , when I sell something I try to make sure the person who gets something knows everything about it, oh well. Its not that much extra work , just another delay thats all. I'll have it up next week, to much stuff going on this week end.

Andy
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Old Tom
Old Tom,

I run a Xoar 17x6 Beech prop on my 26/ Funtana X100 combo. Found this to be the best so far for 3D work. Engine spools up quick and give you good thrust.

I noticed you ran your choke linkage rod through an aluminum strap. You're risking creating radio interference with that set up. The 4-40 rod will do some serious vibrating with the engine running......
Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: driesbabe

Frank,
To retard the timing, move the pickup in the direction of rotation. Don't move it much, just so it stops biting.

regards
Andreas
Well I found out why my engine timing was off. The pick-up sensor was already moved as far as it could go, the slot was bottomed out on the left hold down screw. The right one was in the center of the slot, but the left one needs to be moved about 4mm to the left to get it centered in the pick-up slot.

I was able to take my dremel and elongate the left slot about 1 mm. I reinstalled it moving it about 0.5 mm. It solved most of the "biting" problem when starting, and after tweaking the needles a bit, the engine has never ran better. I may move it the other 0.5 mm later on, but right now it's not too bad.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Nogyro

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Old Tom
Old Tom,

I run a Xoar 17x6 Beech prop on my 26/ Funtana X100 combo. Found this to be the best so far for 3D work. Engine spools up quick and give you good thrust.

I noticed you ran your choke linkage rod through an aluminum strap. You're risking creating radio interference with that set up. The 4-40 rod will do some serious vibrating with the engine running......
Thanks Frank

I have a 17-6 ordered. I'll be gone on vacation for about 3 weeks. I'll try it when I get back.
The choke rod is working with no problems.Had 14 flights with the Laser and 2 flites with the Sukhoi. I'm using a 2.4 Spectrum Radio and it totally ignores the rattle.I only have 0.002 clearance on the wire.
I have given a taught to changing the rod to Nirod. Don't think I need to as of now.

Old Tom
Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

Hi, does anybody know a good source for 10/24 3/16 socket head or hex head bolts x 4.5" long. I lathe out my own standoffs and made them for 3/16 bolts, thinking it it would be know problem for bolts, ya right!!!

Chuck.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
AJsToyz

http://www.mcmaster.com/ They are an industrial supply company and have a great selection of bolts.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.