Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Captmicom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Hey Robert,

Your logic is sound in my opinion. Good Job…

Joe
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: Captmicom

Hey Robert,

Your logic is sound in my opinion. Good Job…

Joe
Joe,
Just wanted to let you know that I made a couple more flights the other day. A couple guys came up to me said "that thing is really hummin".

Here's a couple pics of the plane (TF Sea Fury) with the RCGF 20cc. At 14 1/2 lbs, she is a handful to land. Looks really nice coming in with full flaps and a little throttle.

Thanks again for getting it running!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31778.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1647908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16104.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1647909  
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Captmicom

Man that realy looks great!! You are welcome...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

What prop are you using on the engine? Also, is it a side or rear carb version?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM
goirish

Don't want to hijack the thread, but thanks to Captmicom
Got my engine back today and have it mounted on my Cub in time for the Cub Fly-in. Runs great for a brand new engine. Thanks again. When I get ready for the bigger one I will contact you.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Captmicom

Hey Guy,

You are very welcome. Did you check the needles? I am at 5000 ft. ASL so it will need some fine tuning. I hope that you get long life out of her. Let me know how it goes this week end.

Joe
Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: Lifer

What prop are you using on the engine? Also, is it a side or rear carb version?
If you are asking me, it has MAS 16x8. It's rear carb.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41737.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1648100  
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: Captmicom

Man that realy looks great!! You are welcome...
Joe,
Thanks for the compliment. My son has some video that he needs to edit. I'll post the link for it on You Tube when he gets it done.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Captmicom

Cool I can't wait to see it Thanx...

Joe
Old 08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
goirish

Humm, lost my post. I have a rcgf-26 that I need to know the factory settings on the High and low speed needles. Mine runs OK but at WOT it just seems to have miss in it. Almost like it need to be leaned out. I've turn the needles in, out, back and forth but can't seem to hit the sweet spot.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be 1-1/2 on the low needle. And 1-3/4 for the high needle
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Check your plug the gap may have change or gotten dirty with oil build up carbon.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 AM
barry wetherell

Acerc, do these carby setting apply to DLE 20??
Thanks
A.A. Barry
Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Any predetermined carb settings are only going to be good for some assurance the engine will start and run when set to them. They MAY be close to optimum - but please be assured there is no guarantee the engine will be running at optimum using them! Either one or both could run much better 1/4 to 1/2 turn, richer or leaner, from the predetermined...

They are meant as a starting point, meaning that if the engine won't start/run on them, there's something else going on. That's it. There are WAY to many variables to account for that use these adjustments to compensate.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: FOOPED

Check your plug the gap may have change or gotten dirty with oil build up carbon.
This really is a brand new engine. New Jug, piston, ring, spark plug and sparkplug boot. Had the electrode in the old plug break loose and got into the piston ruined everything. So captmicom replaced everything for me. I have about 5 flights on it since it was returned to me. Runs OK but the HSN had to be screwed out about 3 turns.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 AM
WildeOne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Any predetermined carb settings are only going to be good for some assurance the engine will start and run when set to them. They MAY be close to optimum - but please be assured there is no guarantee the engine will be running at optimum using them! Either one or both could run much better 1/4 to 1/2 turn, richer or leaner, from the predetermined...

They are meant as a starting point, meaning that if the engine won't start/run on them, there's something else going on. That's it. There are WAY to many variables to account for that use these adjustments to compensate.
Amen. I often wonder even why people ask. Each motor is different.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

The reason I asked was because I had moved the needles around so much, I needed a starting point to start over. I'm pretty good at tuning glow engines but this is the 1st gas engine I have owned. Just doesn't seem to peak like a glow one. I do realize that each engine is different but if you have a starting point it makes it easier to fine tune. Like most glow engines they will tell you to start with the HSN out two turns. Then go from there.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:27 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: goirish

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

The reason I asked was because I had moved the needles around so much, I needed a starting point to start over. I'm pretty good at tuning glow engines but this is the 1st gas engine I have owned. Just doesn't seem to peak like a glow one. I do realize that each engine is different but if you have a starting point it makes it easier to fine tune. Like most glow engines they will tell you to start with the HSN out two turns. Then go from there.
Gotcha. The gassers run with a different sound, takes some getting used to. Something I've notice on my gassers, is you can get the low speed dialed in perfectly, and do the same wide open. The engine runs perfectly at each extreme, but then you take what you get in between.... which may not be a smooth or even as what we're used to..... and there's not a whole lot you're able to do about it. FWIW
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 AM
goirish

Thanks ahicks- I was starting to get frustrated.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: barry wetherell

Acerc, do these carby setting apply to DLE 20??
Thanks
A.A. Barry

Per the manual, the DLE 20 is 1 1/2 on high, and 1.1 on low. You don't have to be that precise. You are just trying to get it started and then tune it from there.

Acerc,
Sorry for answering a question directed towards you. Just trying to help.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 AM
mesaflyer

goirish,
Try not to get frustrated. What really helps A LOT is tuning these using a tach. You can really dial in the high end, then set the low for good transition.

You said that you had to turn out the high 3 turns. If that is 3 complete 360 turns, then that sounds way too much. A good starting point is 1 1/2 out on the high, and 1 1/4 on the low. You should only have to make minor adjustments from there, maybe as much as 1/2 a turn.

There are some really good tuning techniques on here. If this is your first gasser, then you really shouldn't try to tune it "by ear" like a glow motor.

I attached a file (if it worked) that should help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu61319.pdf (30.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

goirish,
Try not to get frustrated. What really helps A LOT is tuning these using a tach. You can really dial in the high end, then set the low for good transition.

You said that you had to turn out the high 3 turns. If that is 3 complete 360 turns, then that sounds way too much. A good starting point is 1 1/2 out on the high, and 1 1/4 on the low. You should only have to make minor adjustments from there, maybe as much as 1/2 a turn.

There are some really good tuning techniques on here. If this is your first gasser, then you really shouldn't try to tune it ''by ear'' like a glow motor.

I attached a file (if it worked) that should help you.

I have printed the file and btw it did work. I will have to turn the plane upside down as the engine is inverted. When the rain quits I will put it on my starting bench and work on it. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
p51tom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am putting a RCGF 45cc engine in my Top Flight GS P51 and need a bolt to attach the spinner cone. I think the shaft is treaded for a 6MM bolt. I need a 4" long bolt and can not find one. Does anyone know where a bolt this long can purchased or should I retap the shaft and use a regular bolt? If I retap what size bolt should I use?
Thanks, P51Tom
Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

goirish, glad you got the help you were looking for.
mesaflyer, glad you could help. That's what were here for.
p51tom, NAPA, Carquest, or any other real automotive parts store.
And as stated before, don't depend on ears to tune an engine get a rpm gauge. It will save you a lot of headaches.

On a side note, why do some partake in belittleing those who ask what they don't yet know. To those who know it may be a stoopid question but for the rest it's a legitimate question.
So for those who don't know keep asking. God know's I ask alot, sometimes even when I knew the answer and just wanted someone else to verify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.