goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

So that will be OK to fly with that prop. 18/8 APC
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoops, let me clarify. I started out with upper 6900's on an 17/8 once It opened up to around 7200 I then changed out for the 18/8.The first couple of tank's with the 18/8were running around 7000. Has been slowly giong up, currently at 7300. I think it will settlebetween 7300-7400, but wouldn't swear to it.
Break-in with a 16/10 or a 17/8. I prefer the 17/8. If your comfortable with the rpm the 18/8 apcwill be fine.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM
goirish

Well Like I said, off to the LHS to get a 17/8. We have a cub fly in this coming weekend and I want to put mine in the air. Really appreciate all the help. thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
goirish

shoot my 16/10 was made to fit my 180 4 stroke and the prop shaft is smaller on the RCGF. So Hi-HO off to the shop I go.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
gringopete

I'll see if I can answer a couple of questions here.

Jim at Agape Racing and hobby has the timing wheel. http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/

Hope this helps everyone in the tuning and troubleshooting their engines. The following applies to just about any engine that uses a Walbro type carb.

Try changing the plug. If that does not work here is the easiest way to set the needles on the engines.

1) Start by turning out both the high and low needles 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 turns.
2) Go full throttle and peak the high end with the high speed needle valve. When the engine sags you have gone too far. Back the needle off 1 hour or 1/12 of at turn.
3) Go full throttle and peak the engine using the low speed needle valve. When the engine sags back off the low end needle 1 hour or 1/12 of a turn. That’s right peak the engine using the low end needle. The reason for this is that the engine gets fuel from both needles once the engine comes off of idle.
4) Bring the engine down to idle. Adjust the low end rpm idle with the trim on your transmitter. The engine should not need any adjustment at this point.

The engine at this point should be almost perfect. It should transition from low to High speed without any burps. If the engine does not run good after this setup look for an air leek, bad reed valve or carb diaphragm.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
goirish

went to the link but didn't see the timing wheel. Maybe I didn't know what to look under.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:56 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/v...?productid=337
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: gringopete

Jim at Agape Racing and hobby has the timing wheel. http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/

Hope this helps everyone in the tuning and troubleshooting their engines. The following applies to just about any engine that uses a Walbro type carb.

Try changing the plug. If that does not work here is the easiest way to set the needles on the engines.

2) Go full throttle and peak the high end with the high speed needle valve. When the engine sags you have gone too far. Back the needle off 1 hour or 1/12 of at turn.
3) Go full throttle and peak the engine using the low speed needle valve. When the engine sags back off the low end needle 1 hour or 1/12 of a turn. That’s right peak the engine using the low end needle. The reason for this is that the engine gets fuel from both needles once the engine comes off of idle.
4) Bring the engine down to idle. Adjust the low end rpm idle with the trim on your transmitter. The engine should not need any adjustment at this point.

The engine at this point should be almost perfect. It should transition from low to High speed without any burps. If the engine does not run good after this setup look for an air leek, bad reed valve or carb diaphragm.
I never tried this method of engine tuning, but will give it a try and see how it all pans out. Guess there is some truth in the saying, " more ways than one to skin a cat or tune an engine "

Karol
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
goirish

what should the spark plug be gaped at? Is there a certain kind of plug that I should buy? I got the dang thing so messed up now. Why don't we leave well enough alone. Just have to keep fooling with it. That little miss just bothered the heck out of me. Now I can't get it to go over 5000. I took the plug out and it is dark in color, which would indicate to me that it is rich. Is the HSN the one farthest way of the engine body. I don't have any manual so I shooting in the dark. I'm about to put one of my 4 strokes on it. The plug has a gap on it of .020, is that close? I am using ultra full synthetic at 50:1 by stihl.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
littlera

Speaking of throttle curves (and lack of sensitivity of throttle when nearing wide open throttle) this treatise I did last year may be of some value for those wanting to do it electronically instead of fiddling with the geometry of throttle arm / servo arm.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10062619

Cheers,

littlera
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM
CannonFodder
My Feedback: (23)

Hey goirish,

Thats the right gap, 0.018-0.020, the CM6 NGK is a good plug. The electrode coming out of the plug should look like below nice light whitish tan and clean. Set you needles back to factory setting LSN is closets to the engine HSN is away. Start your engine and let it warm up a couple of min, then using a tach go to 2000 rpm set the low speed needle to peak rpm , then go full throttle using tach and set peak rpm idle back to 2000rpm check for peak rpm then throttle up full and check peak rpm. Now let the engine cool off about 15-20 min and check it again. As the engine breaks in you will need to do this about 2 more times. Also these engine don not respond to needle movement like nitro engines you may need to burp the throttle a little during tuning. The oil your using is good stuff but for break in you should be at 40:1.

Here is a good read for new gasser people, it helped me lots.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8673009

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48678.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1649150  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
RJConnet

p51tom,
The prop bolt in my RCGF 45 is drilled and tapped for a 5mm spinner bolt. A 10-32 bolt will screw in but is very sloppy and should not be used. The Tru-Turn spinner on my Extra is not nearly as long as your P51 prop spinner is and I found a 5mm bolt long enough at a local Ace Hardware store. Good luck finding one long enough for you P51..............RJ
Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

I never tried this method of engine tuning, but will give it a try and see how it all pans out. Guess there is some truth in the saying, '' more ways than one to skin a cat or tune an engine ''

Karol
X2! Different, but I can see the logic. Will have to try it as well. -Al
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Captmicom

Very Good Point Gregg...

Captmicom
Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Captmicom

That is reasonable.... any where in the 7k range is good because it will unload in the air by 500 to 800 RPM depending on the prop you are running.

Captmicom
Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 PM
goirish

I will try again tomorrow. If I get it close this time I'm gonna leave it alone
Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Aug

I got my 26cc RCGF engine from BP Hobbies and put it on a Seagull Laser 200. I'm very happy with the engine and the support I got from BP Hobbies.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 AM
gringopete

P51Tom

We have the long spinner bolts that you are looking for. Here is the link

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=E1294667

Gregg
Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 AM
gringopete

Goirish

send me an email with your address and i'll send you the manual for your engine.

Gregg
Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: Captmicom

That is reasonable.... any where in the 7k range is good because it will unload in the air by 500 to 800 RPM depending on the prop you are running.

Captmicom

It is not unsual for some small capacity gas engines to unload as much as 1,500 + rpm in the air.

Karol

Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM
rfk1381
My Feedback: (7)

Greg,

Thanks for the tuning technique!

Question - in steps 2 and 3, can you please explain, "1 hour or 1/12 of a turn", which seems like a text format error that happened when posted.

Thanks...Ron
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: rfk1381

Greg,

Thanks for the tuning technique!

Question - in steps 2 and 3, can you please explain, ''1 hour or 1/12 of a turn'', which seems like a text format error that happened when posted.

Thanks...Ron

Adjusting the high or low needles by "1 hour or 1/12 of a turn" also means 5 mins. of the hour hand or 5 sec. of the second hand on the clock face.

Karol
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM
p51tom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to tap the shaft for a 6mm bolt and use a 6mmx1.0x110mm bolt from Bolt Depot. They do not carry 5mm bolts that long. Thank you BP Hobbies but your 5mm bolts are too short. I will let everyone know how things work out. This Don Brown 5" P51 spinner needs a bolt about 4.25" long. Bolt Depot on the InterNet has a great assortment of hardware and does not require a minimum order.
Thanks everyone, P51Tom
Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM
rfk1381
My Feedback: (7)

I learn something new every day, even at my doddering old age!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: p51tom

I decided to tap the shaft for a 6mm bolt and use a 6mmx1.0x110mm bolt from Bolt Depot. They do not carry 5mm bolts that long. Thank you BP Hobbies but your 5mm bolts are too short. I will let everyone know how things work out. This Don Brown 5'' P51 spinner needs a bolt about 4.25'' long. Bolt Depot on the InterNet has a great assortment of hardware and does not require a minimum order.
Thanks everyone, P51Tom
I don't know for sure, but I thought that I read on here somewhere that the shafts on these motors have been heat treated and hardened, so it might be pretty tough going to drill and tap. Just a thought. I could be wrong.

I would like to know how it works out for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.